Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Humiliation also results in the execution of the Humiliated nation's leader, I thought?

Or is that just when a Fallen Empire Humiliates a normal player? I do recall the flavor text mentioning alien commandos appearing as if out of thin air after the concession speech, immediately killing my Emperor, and then vanishing before anyone could react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Summer sale on steam has begun! If you want to throw money at Paradox for slightly less awful DLC prices now's a good time.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LonsomeSon posted:

Humiliation also results in the execution of the Humiliated nation's leader, I thought?

Or is that just when a Fallen Empire Humiliates a normal player? I do recall the flavor text mentioning alien commandos appearing as if out of thin air after the concession speech, immediately killing my Emperor, and then vanishing before anyone could react.

That's the FE version of Humiliation, yeah.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is Influence supposed to be your major limiting point on expansion? I've put 20 odd hours into my first game and my factions are happy, only have a couple agreements, and a bunch of Rivals but my Influence is a thin trickle. I raced a nearby civ and cut them off from a chunk of the galaxy and I've spent most of my game slowly back filling.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, basically. It’s much easier to increase your income of any other resource, you’re never gonna get way more than 5 a month.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is Influence supposed to be your major limiting point on expansion? I've put 20 odd hours into my first game and my factions are happy, only have a couple agreements, and a bunch of Rivals but my Influence is a thin trickle. I raced a nearby civ and cut them off from a chunk of the galaxy and I've spent most of my game slowly back filling.

Influence is the devil. Keep your factions happy and it'll increase.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

aegof posted:

I know some people don't like how factions work but I love things like this:

Joel Osteen did it, the madman.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Is it just me, or does the game seem to really drag once (for instance) the contingency spawn? I'm constantly micromanaging my planets now as every time they take a system I lose a few minerals or energy, all the time I'm building up fleets to counter them. Meanwhile the society investigation into synths is 360 months off...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Splicer posted:

They won't. You're thinking of conquer wars, or status quo. Surrendering on a humiliation war doesn't trade locations it just makes your pops sad, kneecaps your influence gain, and gives the victor some influence.

e: humiliation has no status quo effect, I think it defaults to whatever the opponent picked.

Surrendering in humiliation wars will also cede territory if the would-be victor has claims though. Which is why the AI doesn't want to do it (and why you can use this to steal all their pops).

skasion posted:

Yeah, basically. It’s much easier to increase your income of any other resource, you’re never gonna get way more than 5 a month.

In the early game influence is absolutely the big constraint, but 5/mo in the middle game seems a little low, I'm routinely routinely around 7. Often playing as Authoritarian, but that's only +0.5 :shrug:

Jumps to 12 once unity ambitions come into play.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 26, 2019

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's 2315 and I'm +5 influence. It sucks because I keep getting dragged into wars with a neighbor but I'll never have enough influence to make many claims on their systems. It also seems kinda weird that I'm gaining the same 'influence' now as the largest sprawling empire in the galaxy as when I was a backwater with a handful of systems.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Vengarr posted:

It's super broken, the weights don't work properly at all. It's supposed to be semi-random, but it's actually totally random and nominations aren't factored in at all. It's currently just a massive waste of cash and influence.

kind of like the FIFA world cup lol

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's 2315 and I'm +5 influence. It sucks because I keep getting dragged into wars with a neighbor but I'll never have enough influence to make many claims on their systems. It also seems kinda weird that I'm gaining the same 'influence' now as the largest sprawling empire in the galaxy as when I was a backwater with a handful of systems.
It would be interesting if, starting in the mid-game, there was some kind of Imperium or Vicky style power-tiering. Greater powers would get more influence, but perhaps smaller powers would get, like, a bonus to admin or something.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

It would be interesting if, starting in the mid-game, there was some kind of Imperium or Vicky style power-tiering. Greater powers would get more influence, but perhaps smaller powers would get, like, a bonus to admin or something.

yea I'm at like 2251 and my solid rear end Inward Perf (Xenophobe/Pacifist/Spiritualist) build for 2.2 is really just lackluster at the moment. Even with all the pop growth i've geared toward, I barely have 10 or 20 more pops than my regional competitors, who are forming federations and poo poo. Ughhh... I hate not being able steamroll using low habitability planets. Gotta get those habitats I guess....

...which brings me to my question: does anyone have a goddamn good chart for the updated tech tree? My usual source is bone dry. I think he gave the gently caress up on the game for some goddamn reason. What a loser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2JRy-kYPrI

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Weird, I played a 2.3 Inner Perfection game (same ethics), and I was outpacing the AI in pop at year 51. And that was with close starts without appropriate chokepoints, where I had to pump military more than I wanted. This was only admiral difficulty tho.

Also here is the tech tree:
https://turanar.github.io/stellaris-tech-tree/vanilla/#top

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

A few days ago I finished my first DA game and man, it's crazy how hard you snowball. Rapid replicators with mass produced, and adaptive and fast breeders on my bio pops meant that i grew really drat fast. And that's before i rolled the cybrex precursor chain! What's hilarious is that i found the head of zarqan so the awakened spiritualist FE left me the hell alone until i had assimilated the rest of the galaxy. Game ended at 2418 before the crisis spawned. By the end of the game i had two ring worlds, two matter decompressors, a dyson sphere, 35k science and 4k alloys a month.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Advanced-start determined exterminator spawns on my borders. poo poo.

DE finds the Grand Herald. Double poo poo.

DE runs the Grand Herald directly into 4,000 fleet power of missile corvettes and even though I'm probably still hosed I can't stop laughing.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The Whispers in Stone excavation has an impressively bleak and cynical ending of the exploitation of the accidental genocide you perpetrated on the stonefolk by using their bodily processes to synthesise resources.

The reward is absolutely one of the best in the game though, although equally absolutely one of the most morally questionable.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I've built a ring world around a neutron star. That seems like it should be a bad idea

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gender illusionist posted:

I've built a ring world around a neutron star. That seems like it should be a bad idea

Just don't let the star spin up, what's the big deal :unsmigghh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The hightst efficiency conversion of mass to energy available is dropping matter into a black holes and capturing the heat released as potential energy is lost while said matter travels down the accretion disc

...I have an idea for a megastructure all of a sudden

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

gender illusionist posted:

Fantastic for tanning

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I am formally demanding an upgraded ringworld which maintains a uniform distance to the closest star in binary and trinary systems, while also linking together at appropriate intersection spots.

Also quaternary systems so I can build a fourleafedcloverworld.

Real talk, though, I can build Habitats over stars now. When did that change or has it just been so long since I built a Hab that I've forgotten?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

The hightst efficiency conversion of mass to energy available is dropping matter into a black holes and capturing the heat released as potential energy is lost while said matter travels down the accretion disc

Gigastructures has you covered. Just build yourself a HRAE-MC.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Potato Salad posted:

If you haven't played Space Station 13, you really should try it. This is exactly how the station is powered.

It works about as well as you would expect.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How do wars of conquest work when your influence stays so small? I have occupied every single star system and planet of a nearby empire every war but only end up with the couple of systems I have the influence to claim. Though I also never start the war so maybe its different if you do (either they or my ally starts).

Also, in general does the game favor expanding as far as you can or building up? Not sure if expanding hard to block bottlenecks and back fill was the smart play. The #1 civ in my game (besides the fallen empires) is a robot one that controls about 1/2 the systems I do but their tech/economy is much much higher. Dunno if I've got some large empire penalties or the robots are just better at that stuff.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

FuzzySlippers posted:

How do wars of conquest work when your influence stays so small? I have occupied every single star system and planet of a nearby empire every war but only end up with the couple of systems I have the influence to claim. Though I also never start the war so maybe its different if you do (either they or my ally starts).

Also, in general does the game favor expanding as far as you can or building up? Not sure if expanding hard to block bottlenecks and back fill was the smart play. The #1 civ in my game (besides the fallen empires) is a robot one that controls about 1/2 the systems I do but their tech/economy is much much higher. Dunno if I've got some large empire penalties or the robots are just better at that stuff.

You can vassalize them and later integrate them into your empire. Also fyi it’s more expensive to claim during a war than before.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

You just have to save influence up for claims. There's techs that reduce the cost, as does rivalry. The Throne of the Khan comes with a big -20% cost as well. Then eventually you build a Colossus and you start waging total war.

As for expanding, it's basically always the right play. Those robots are strong not because playing tall is optimal, but because robots are hella strong.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

PittTheElder posted:

Then eventually you build a Colossus and you start waging total war.

What is the "flavor" for only being to wage total war after you build a Colossus?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Not sure haven't checked.

But you are free to still use the other CBs.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Lazyhound posted:

Also fyi it’s more expensive to claim during a war than before.

I believe that's only the case for offensive wars. If you claim territory and then insult them into attacking you, you don't get the offensive war penalty to claim cost. I think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's correct, you do not.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So I'm dumb and thought administrator capacity was for increasing how many generals/admirals/scientists/governors you could have and thought it was a useless thing to invest in because I never imagined needing more than 30 cumulative admins like that. Then I hovered over the toolbar and saw that everything costs way more because I am a caveman trying to make sense of galactic conquest.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

So I'm dumb and thought administrator capacity was for increasing how many generals/admirals/scientists/governors you could have and thought it was a useless thing to invest in because I never imagined needing more than 30 cumulative admins like that. Then I hovered over the toolbar and saw that everything costs way more because I am a caveman trying to make sense of galactic conquest.

No you're doing it right. You're supposed to go way over your admin cap.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Weird bug with drawn sector borders:

Before I expanded into Jardiaphon, the sector outlines from Wemoil and Syrma touched as a point about where that line is now. I didn't take a screenshot then because I assumed building a starbase in Jardiaphon would fix it.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 27, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
So Galactic Wonders might actually be worth it now. You can stack megastructure build speed up to 150%, and getting to the first productive stage of the Sphere and the Extractor nets you +1000e and +600m respectively. If you spec for unity - and especially, if you get the Cybrex - you could build them early enough to make bank. Even without that, building them in the late 2300s is dead handy for sustaining alloy production/purchase during late mid game wars.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gobblecoque posted:

No you're doing it right. You're supposed to go way over your admin cap.
You're supposed to go over your cap but also increase that cap whenever possible

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You get way, way more tech speed out of building a tech world than the tech speed you lose by annexing multiple sectors.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

jokes posted:

You get way, way more tech speed out of building a tech world than the tech speed you lose by annexing multiple sectors.

Technically that depends on your admin cap (not empire sprawl), if you're in the super late game with over 500 admin cap (so administrative efficiency XXX or something) that might not be true. But in practice this is true.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ScottyJSno posted:

What is the "flavor" for only being to wage total war after you build a Colossus?

Colossi generally represent a huge step up in what it means to wage war. Most Colossi weapons represent permanent losses of worlds, and the ones that don't are essentially fast acting planet-wide custom-tailored genocide machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's a bit dumb because it only allows you to have one and by the time you're having lategame total wars the enemy will have dozens of habitats and planets. I generally use Colossi because I don't want the micro hassle of occupying the planets (army micro boo) and dealing with all the problems that brings and only having one is the worst of both worlds.