Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Hey I've got a quick Armored Core question here: is there any big advantage to playing the PSP versions of the AC3 games over the original PS2 ones?

The PS2 controller is waaaaaay better with two analog sticks and four buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The scenes around the introduction of the (Scenario 26) Tyranado Rex are so good on the Sagiri route. I really like the themes about career, professionalism, and disliking your work in this game. I’m curious how the other route differs here.

Also Rami’s affection for Sagiri is very cute.

I’ve hit Tac Management Grade 6 and most of my main units have the customization bonus now. It’s fun how much leeway SRW gives you to make anyone absurdly powerful. I stuck my Extra Arms on the Methuss like someone in the thread recommended. Now it’s one of the most efficient units in my squad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Extra Arms and Extra Arms+ are the greatest items the series ever made. Being able to actually use stuff like the Methuss or X's version of the Sandrock is way cooler and more fun than poo poo that you can slap on already overpowered protag suits to make them invincible.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I put my Extra Arms+ on the Shuttle so I could have an ancient butler murder everything around him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not sure if it was mentioned here but Super Robot Wars 3 got updated with a new translation and is generally cleaned up.

https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/1143179285139603456

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned here but Super Robot Wars 3 got updated with a new translation and is generally cleaned up.

I'll miss Jerid telling me to go gently caress myself but this is for the better.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

now we just need a patch that makes getter not take 5 years to change

e: also one that makes the game good

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yinlock posted:

now we just need a patch that makes getter not take 5 years to change

e: also one that makes the game good
That unfortunately is going to require some level of expertise in black magic, space/time fuckery, and bullshit luck. Or someone to translate the Complete Box version which IIRC is a little better, but not by much.

That said, you'd have to put up with Complete Box's...unusual soundtrack composition, which goes all over the place since it imported the PS1 tracks of F/F Final and not the Sega Saturn versions.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

That said, you'd have to put up with Complete Box's...unusual soundtrack composition, which goes all over the place since it imported the PS1 tracks of F/F Final and not the Sega Saturn versions.

If you want a good comparison, here's a Youtube vid with a quick-succession comparison of each version of Violent Battle. The PS1 F version is a little rough around the edges, to put it kindly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw4fkfvw78c

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

A better example would be Genocider Machine, which somehow came out sounding like this on the PS1.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Is Van and Dann of Thursday the thing to trick out if you want to have one unit go around and oneshot everything? Van's ace bonus is insane and YII/Overflow stack even more damage. I rather choose him because "ELEEEENA I LOVE YOU! CHESSTO!" never gets old. Only makes me wish Tekkaman Blade was in a console SRW for more screaming nonsense.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I found Van to be a bit of a latebloomer because he gets multiple upgrades, some of which come late, but you can seriously make anyone into a oneshotting wrecking ball if you love 'em enough

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lord Ephraim posted:

Is Van and Dann of Thursday the thing to trick out if you want to have one unit go around and oneshot everything? Van's ace bonus is insane and YII/Overflow stack even more damage. I rather choose him because "ELEEEENA I LOVE YOU! CHESSTO!" never gets old. Only makes me wish Tekkaman Blade was in a console SRW for more screaming nonsense.

Its him or Kouji with an Autoloader so you can spam his big ammo finisher.

Maybe Domon if you're deploying the rest of the Shuffle Alliance.

Vaan's big issue is that he unlocks so much of his best stuff super late. He's stuck with some pretty garbage moves and no overflow for like 90% of the game.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

other sweet candidates:

Angela's ace bonus + Ruri's System Seizure also means that if you're deathballing she has +30% to everything for that turn, ontop of everything else

Chirico is still Chirico and the Scopedog ruins worlds and is extra mrrpy while doing so

and Spike while not as damaging will get you even more bling bling doing so

Those three were my top three in my run and coincidentally they're all S size units so maybe I have a preference

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

A better example would be Genocider Machine, which somehow came out sounding like this on the PS1.

oh god :gonk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

My choice for that was Spike. Spike can zoom across the battlefield, attack for days and hemorrhages money, plus you get him nice and early.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It's such a weird composition. There's the faux banjo intro, then it follows the beat up to a point, then drops down to go off and do its own thing. I will never understand why the PS1 soundtrack is so schizophrenic with how it treats songs. I mean, you have Violent Battle which keeps the core beat of the song but has weird instrumentation and pitch, Genocider Machine is...this thing, and then stuff like Heartful Mechanic tries to be...experimental, I guess? I have no answer to the garbled vocals, or what they even are supposed to be.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Looks like the expansion patch just hit for the Switch. I guess you have to purchase a code again? I’ll see if another TaoBao Lite guide gets posted as that’s what I used for the other DLC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Looks like the expansion patch just hit for the Switch. I guess you have to purchase a code again? I’ll see if another TaoBao Lite guide gets posted as that’s what I used for the other DLC.

Does that mean the expansion itself is out?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
They spent way too much money on Fasalina's two attacks. Neo Zeon and Martian Successors, lets give them a tiny budget. But some random prostitute, spare no expense!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Merilan posted:

other sweet candidates:

Angela's ace bonus + Ruri's System Seizure also means that if you're deathballing she has +30% to everything for that turn, ontop of everything else

Chirico is still Chirico and the Scopedog ruins worlds and is extra mrrpy while doing so

and Spike while not as damaging will get you even more bling bling doing so

Those three were my top three in my run and coincidentally they're all S size units so maybe I have a preference

Noriko is still huge, tough and can hard work and guts her way around the map.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Lord Ephraim posted:

They spent way too much money on Fasalina's two attacks. Neo Zeon and Martian Successors, lets give them a tiny budget. But some random prostitute, spare no expense!

Counterpoint: the Successors suck and deserve nothing.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Oblique Angle posted:

Counterpoint: the Successors suck and deserve nothing.

This, gently caress those guys.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Martian Successors more like Men's Rights Activists

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
e: nevermind, I don’t think the new expansion is up yet.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 26, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Ephraim posted:

and they were right to

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Lord Ephraim posted:

yikes

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Not choosing Noriko is shameful :colbert: (although she could probably use a hyper generator); run in, use wall and bullseye, kill everything? You even have ammo attacks if you run out of energy. Finish up stuff with not a very homing laser when it's back to your turn.

I won't accept Chirico until they bring back his pistol finisher from Z3.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hey, the Claw faction and Martian Successors are the same thing when you get down to it.

A charismatic leader who the narrative tries to pretend is a well-intentioned extremist who took a heroic code too far, when it takes 5 seconds to realize that no he's just a power-hungry rear end.
Followers who are mostly pretending to buy into his hype because being in a group makes them feel important.

On second thought, this metaphor makes Fasalina and Hokuten equivilent... eh, they're both equally one-note.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RoyalScion posted:

I won't accept Chirico until they bring back his pistol finisher from Z3.
I finished Mellowlink recently and I like how in the last episode a random mook dies trying to pull that move off.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MightyPretenders posted:

A charismatic leader who the narrative tries to pretend is a well-intentioned extremist who took a heroic code too far

the narrative never pretends this at all though, not even remotely

the claw is a loving monster and is acknowledged as such

like even in SRW all the newtype protagonists are super-unnerved by him because he's so inhuman(notably Kincaid says that trying to reason with the claw would drive him insane, Kamille calls him a "bottomless abyss" and Tobia points out that his calm demeanor is because he never spares a single thought for anything inconvenient to him)

Lord Ephraim posted:

:chloe:

It's kind of hard to low-budget illustrate how Fasalina fights and extremely unnerving sexuality is a part of it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 26, 2019

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Yinlock posted:

the narrative never pretends this at all though, not even remotely

the claw is a loving monster and is acknowledged as such

like even in SRW all the newtype protagonists are super-unnerved by him because he's so inhuman(notably Kincaid says that trying to reason with the claw would drive him insane, Kamille calls him a "bottomless abyss" and Tobia points out that his calm demeanor is because he never spares a single thought for anything inconvenient to him)

Yeah you'd imagine that any level of psychic would find The Claw's presence to be basically 'a lich but somehow much worse, not even recognizable as a person.'

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gulping Again posted:

Yeah you'd imagine that any level of psychic would find The Claw's presence to be basically 'a lich but somehow much worse, not even recognizable as a person.'

yeah the newtypes who haven't explored their abilities to kamille/amuro's level still find the claw revolting on an instinctive level. Non-psychics are more of a mixed bag but even they can tell something's wrong with him(Noriko gets scared, Guy gets confused(because the Claw demands to see his courage and he's like "wait what") and Faye/Jet are kinda let down because he's just a "nice old man" but Spike recognizes him for the monster he is and gets serious)

lotta good boss dialogue in that mission

e: basically gunxsword's message is "hey anger/hatred and revenge are actually healthy feelings as long as you don't get completely taken over by them" and illustrates this by showing what a person completely devoid of those emotions would be like

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 26, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

yeah the newtypes who haven't explored their abilities to kamille/amuro's level still find the claw revolting on an instinctive level. Non-psychics are more of a mixed bag but even they can tell something's wrong with him(Noriko gets scared, Guy gets confused(because the Claw demands to see his courage and he's like "wait what") and Faye/Jet are kinda let down because he's just a "nice old man" but Spike recognizes him for the monster he is and gets serious)

e: basically gunxsword's message is "hey anger/hatred and revenge are actually healthy feelings as long as you don't get completely taken over by them" and illustrates this by showing what a person completely devoid of those emotions would be like

I loved that moral coming up in the Rayearth finale. Just Van got so angry that he couldn't be mind controlled by a being of pure negative emotion, and everyone went onto the heroic speech about how it's perfectly fine to get pissed sometimes.

It was well done on its own, but it was just delightful as a contrast with the usual "If you kill him, you're just as bad" scene.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Yinlock posted:

I felt the same way about the Claw's boss dialogue. I really enjoy the Gun x Sword villains in general because of that creepy vibe they give that's so far removed from relatability. I also get why they went all-out with Fasalina's moves, because that really is Her Thing. I won't put her and Hokushin on the same level because she balances out her one gimmick with an interesting emotional range, while also showing herself to be a fundamentally stunted individual who only knows one way to relate to people. She's a well-realized character.

The Gun x Sword finale stage had some really choice villain and hero dialogue. My favorite piece of characterization for the Claw is when he says "These things just happen sometimes" in response to Spike calling him a murderer.

Watta has some choice words for people who openly characterize themselves as nice:

Maito has some things to say about extremists who claim that anybody who refuses to associate with them or have open dialogue with them is narrow-minded:

And what the hell, here's the whole Bebop crew exchange.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I really appreciate the effort it takes to make these conversations happen, both on the base script and in the localisation making them sound really human.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's a big Sakura Wars info dump and gameplay footage.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm glad Sumire is still playing a central role. She's the best out of the cast. Yeah, that's right, she's better than [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE HERE].

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Basically anyone can be the map-soloer. Protags just make it easier and Van gets the nutso stuff, but everyone gets nutso stuff.

Also big yikes on "random prostitute" my guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Hokuto posted:

I'm glad Sumire is still playing a central role. She's the best out of the cast. Yeah, that's right, she's better than [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE HERE].

my favorite is whoever scalped ogami out of all his cash when you played poker in that one stream