Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Roki B posted:

Pickled herring in jars is pretty clutch
pickled herring is one of my favorite foods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Look Sir Droids posted:

Carp talk has got me interested in targeting them when fishing. I'm in Tennessee. They're invasive here, but I haven't seen any evidence of them in the lakes and rivers I've fished. Do you fish for them the same way as catfish, stink bait sunk to a pretty low depth? I'm used to crappie and trout fishing (with some smallmouth bass incidental catches).

Bait should be on or near bottom, most people use corn or sweet/corny/starchy dough baits. If you search for "boilie recipes" you'll find hundreds. Carp have very sensitive mouths so the barb of the hook should be inside the bait. Lots of people broadcast bait material on the bottom where they're going to fish to attract more fish and get them feeding together.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Lhet posted:

Not directly sardines, but recently discovered Gongura pickles (it's kinda a sour/tart leaf I guess), it can be found in Indian stores for like $4 a jar and a little bit goes super well with dines on crackers or curry/spaghetti/whatever.

are these similar to the grape leaves you make dolmas with?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

are these similar to the grape leaves you make dolmas with?

From the looks of it the stuff looks more like a British pickle than pickles, per se. I'm guessing it's more like a not very sweet or not sweet at all chutney.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Yeah, not sweet at all, just a ton of flavor.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lhet posted:

Not directly sardines, but recently discovered Gongura pickles (it's kinda a sour/tart leaf I guess), it can be found in Indian stores for like $4 a jar and a little bit goes super well with dines on crackers or curry/spaghetti/whatever.

poo poo I just saw those at my local fijian spice mart, might have to go back for a jar tomorrow.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Look Sir Droids posted:

Carp talk has got me interested in targeting them when fishing. I'm in Tennessee. They're invasive here, but I haven't seen any evidence of them in the lakes and rivers I've fished. Do you fish for them the same way as catfish, stink bait sunk to a pretty low depth? I'm used to crappie and trout fishing (with some smallmouth bass incidental catches).

They're absolutely everywhere in here, to the point where boat fishing for them can be dangerous. You'd know if they were around. Asian carp jump and frenzy feed (they jump several feet out of the water) and they can be huge fish. Better to stay on the shore or in the shallows if you're chumming them. They'll hit regular catfish stinkbait but a big can of hominy and a box of strawberry jello powder with a little water to make a mush stiff enough to make balls with is what the state's department of conservation recommends, and sure enough they go crazy for the jello. Most of the time you'll think you hit a snag until they get riled up.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I need to ask a question that's been asked a million times. Can somebody post the common goon-approved fisherman's eggs recipe? I want to try it with my mackerel.

On the same subject I want to suggest that a new Canned Fish Megathread be started so that recipes like this that get frequently asked for can be maintained in a proper OP that isn't burdened with shameful user/forums history/meltdowns. I have no doubt that Burt and Grindcore and so on would be fine with shutting this thread down and allowing a new thread with an updated OP to rise in its stead. All hail the New Fish.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Fisherman's eggs is best when you don't use a recipe and just throw in whatever stuff happens to be on hand, IMO.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Fisherman's eggs is best when you don't use a recipe and just throw in whatever stuff happens to be on hand, IMO.

This sounds awesome on its face, but at the same time it'd prolly be bad if people followed this advice and just tossed a can of oily rear end fish in with a fresh cracked egg and nothing else because "Well, fisherman, and eggs, must just mean fish and eggs rite?!" and just called it a "meal." Which is why I'm seeking the tried, true, and approved recipe like many others before me have. I distinctly remember there being a little more to it than just Eggs+Fish+Things I Have That May Have No Business Being Paired With This Other poo poo?!

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 26, 2019

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Honky Dong Country posted:

I need to ask a question that's been asked a million times. Can somebody post the common goon-approved fisherman's eggs recipe? I want to try it with my mackerel.

On the same subject I want to suggest that a new Canned Fish Megathread be started so that recipes like this that get frequently asked for can be maintained in a proper OP that isn't burdened with shameful user/forums history/meltdowns. I have no doubt that Burt and Grindcore and so on would be fine with shutting this thread down and allowing a new thread with an updated OP to rise in its stead. All hail the New Fish.

I tried the recommended goon recipe for fishermen’s eggs and do not recommend

500 degree oven will ruin the whole thing

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Well yeah, 500F oven will ruin pretty much anything. I have my doubts that a repeatedly sought out recipe actually calls for the temperature you're claiming though.

I just want the recipe that people have continually passed around ITT so that I can try it for myself with my mackerel rather than dines.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There were definitely people claiming that you needed your oven as hot as it could possibly go to. I typically add onion, celery, tomato, and garlic, then bake at 375F for around 15 minutes. The last time I made it I added some bits of smoked sausage and it was good.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

There were definitely people claiming that you needed your oven as hot as it could possibly go to. I typically add onion, celery, tomato, and garlic, then bake at 375F for around 15 minutes.

That sounds a lot like maybe people meant to say "broil for a lil bit" (I wonder this because "Broil" is often past the hottest bake-temp setting on a oven knob)

Seriously though I just want a good fish/eggs skillet kind of deal recipe. I assumed that this thread had a tried and true after so many years (especially considering the popularity of "Fisherman's Eggs" here. But in the end I just want somebody to give me a good breakfast thing for fish. :colbert:

E: particularly something that would be really good with KO's Mediterranean Mackerel with the olive oil and "herbs of Provence"

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 26, 2019

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

There were definitely people claiming that you needed your oven as hot as it could possibly go to. I typically add onion, celery, tomato, and garlic, then bake at 375F for around 15 minutes. The last time I made it I added some bits of smoked sausage and it was good.

Yeah it’s not complicated

If you are able to sweat the onions and get your garlic smelling good you don’t need a furnace to finish it off

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

E:pretty sure I posted this in the wrong thread

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 26, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I make my fisherman's eggs sort of like a hash.

1 grated potato
1 small onion, thin sliced
1 can of sardines or kippers in oil, broken up
2 eggs

garlic
rosemary
thyme
black pepper

1 small cast iron skillet (8")
Oven set to 375

I drain the 'dine oil into the skillet and start frying my potato and onion in that, until the potato starts to get nice and crispy around the edges. Then I put in the fish and scramble it into the potato/onion mix along with the garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Once that gets hot I make two little "wells" in it, and crack my eggs into that. I crack some black pepper over the eggs, then I let them go white on the bottom, and start to set, then I pop them in the oven for a few minutes (I never really time it, it's like 5 to 10 minutes) until the yolks have soft-set.

I don't add much, if any salt to this since I find most of the fish is salty enough to start off with.

EDIT: I know some people like cherry tomatoes in theirs, and that's fine. I have a hard time getting tomatoes into this without it getting soggy. I sometimes will have some salsa on top, though.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 26, 2019

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you're the type of cook who gets anxiety-ridden over improvisational cooking (no shade, i know you're out there, you're how most baked goods get accomplished), stuff like fisherman's eggs are going to be rough

it came pretty naturally to me but i've been making fried rice with eggs veggies and meat for ages as a cheap filling meal and it's not far off that

roughly speaking, when cooking stovetop with high heat, you adjust how much items get cooked and at what temp by when you add them. you usually start with the sulfur-heavy stuff (onions and garlic usually, but also maybe brussels sprouts if you're using em) to sweat or brown them and knock off their harsh raw flavors and develop their tasty cooked ones. they're the first things in the pan after preheating the oil and pan, so they get hot quick and you can watch/smell their cooking progress without having to worry about anything else

then in goes whatever needs a very long, thorough cook time, like
raw meat (canned fish is not raw, that's later) or
dense/fibrous veggies like broccoli stems, carrots, raw potatoes, other raw root veggies.
adjust the heat so that the new stuff pulls away enough of the pan's heat that the onions and garlic don't scorch. let that go for a bit til it seems like they're heated through. look for color changes or smell changes to clue you in on that.

then the more middle of the road on toughness veggies, like
green onions (aka scallions),
cooked root veggies (since you're not cooking them through, just heating and putting some color on them),
tough/bitter greens like kale or beet greens (you can chop up greens or use em whole, it depends on their size and your preference)
some stuff from the above, like celery and carrots can go here as long as you wouldn't be put off if they come out still crunchy
some of the stuff from below, if you want more of their flavor throughout the dish and don't mind risking their texture. this is personal preference. i usually throw canned fish in here, but you could do it in the next step too
this is the most flexible group. basically anything that doesn't need to be cooked thoroughly but won't turn to mush if left on the heat a while. the forgiving stuff
cooked rice or beans would ho in here
canned fish would probably go here, depending on toughness and pungency of that particular fish)

keep cooking and stirring to preference. more stirring (generally, when using high heat) means faster cooking but less browning

salty/savory flavoring liquids go here: soy, hot sauce, mustard, balsalmic, whatever

then goes in the softer stuff that will get mushy and unpalatable if it gets heated too long, and is perfectly palatable when raw so you really want to err on the side of less cooking, like
tender greens (spinach, baby kale, arugula, basically any salad green)
chopped tomatoes, olives, or other soft savory fruits
peppers (the bigger, sweeter ones like bell, anaheim, hatch, etc. hot peppers like jalapeño on up are better off put in the first or second steps, but that's preference)
maybe real tiny or mild canned fish? idk i don't buy the fancy stuff

once all this stuff is in, crack the eggs over it. you can stir em in, or not. i do. you can also fry the eggs in a seperate pan and plate them on top with the stir fry

dump it all onto a plate before all the sensitive stuff gets overcooked and feast

^^this wall of text is why when you ask an improvisational cook how they do things, they usually don't elaborate beyond "eh you gotta feel it out" or "idk, practice" because it's real fuckin complicated to spell out in precise language, and even with the most detailed description possible, it's still going to require practice

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 26, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dude above you wrote the same recipe in about 50 words homey. It can be done.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

OMGVBFLOL posted:

roughly speaking, when cooking stovetop with high heat, you adjust how much items get cooked and at what temp by when you add them. you usually start with the sulfur-heavy stuff (onions and garlic usually, but also maybe brussels sprouts if you're using em) to sweat or brown them and knock off their harsh raw flavors and develop their tasty cooked ones. they're the first things in the pan after preheating the oil and pan, so they get hot quick and you can watch/smell their cooking progress without having to worry about anything else

Doesn't the garlic get bitter if you cook it from the start? I try not to have it on the heat longer than ten or so minutes.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Doesn't the garlic get bitter if you cook it from the start? I try not to have it on the heat longer than ten or so minutes.

Only if you burn it. The key with garlic is to make sure there's plenty of oil/liquid around it to keep it from going black, or just add it later in the cooking process so that it doesn't heat for as long. It's high in sugar, so it can burn fast if it is exposed to high and harsh heat, and then it will surely get bitter.

A very bad generalization is that French cooking tends to use a lot of high temp oil cooking (sautee), so it adds the garlic in late in the cooking process, while Italian cooking tends to add it early as part of a sauce, which buffers it and keeps it from coming into contact with direct heat.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
For a heart healthy snack, cut the top of a head of garlic, drizzle in some olive oil, and roast it for a half hour in hot oven. Then smoosh out one of those soft cloves onto a piece of rye bread with a sardine.

You'll stand apart from your friends :dadjoke:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Weltlich posted:

For a heart healthy snack, cut the top of a head of garlic, drizzle in some olive oil, and roast it for a half hour in hot oven. Then smoosh out one of those soft cloves onto a piece of rye bread with a sardine.

You'll stand apart from your friends :dadjoke:

Roasted garlic is loving delicious and is good on almost everything.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

once you mix other stuff in the amount of heat goes down because there's more material and particularly more water in everything, which can't go above boiling until it's steam, so the veggies and meat help keep the garlic from getting to the 300+ degrees it needs to burn. this is partly what stirring does; it gets the stuff that's lost all its water and is starting to brown off the bottom of the pan

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 27, 2019

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

Dude above you wrote the same recipe in about 50 words homey. It can be done.

i didn't write a recipe

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DiggityDoink posted:

Roasted garlic is loving delicious and is good on almost everything.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

GuyinwoodsnoddingButhisHeadisaSardine.gif

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
TFW you've got stacks on stacks of dines in the cupboard

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Was passing through a Mexican grocery yesterday and saw these. Was kind of in a hurry so didn't grab any, but any of you fish heads have an opinion before I go back to buy some?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

there's something very Mexican about a redheaded mermaid sexing up the label of canned fish

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

As a non-connoisseur, I bought the red boat fish sauce recommended. Besides Thai food, any interesting things I can try this with?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Flowers for QAnon posted:

As a non-connoisseur, I bought the red boat fish sauce recommended. Besides Thai food, any interesting things I can try this with?

It goes great in tomato sauces.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I splash fish sauce in almost every meal I make now, no exaggeration. My exwife is Lao and we eat southeast Asian maybe half the time, the other half is misc white people food, and I use fish sauce in nearly everything. It adds a savory flavour to anything that needs it, and if you keep it low it doesn't contribute any fishy flavor at all

My (Italian) father's family all clamour for my Italian meatball recipe, which is just bog standard Italian meatballs + fish sauce. I always thought the idea of a secret ingredient was bullshit but fish sauce totally became my secret ingredient over the years

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roundup Ready posted:

Was passing through a Mexican grocery yesterday and saw these. Was kind of in a hurry so didn't grab any, but any of you fish heads have an opinion before I go back to buy some?

I've never had good luck with the 'dines in those large oval-shaped cans, especially the ones in tomato sauce. They're almost always large 'dines that are fishy-tasting while also being bland, with mushy textures.

On a related topic, last time I was at IKEA, I bought two different jars of pickled herring in their Swedish food market, for $2.99 each. The pickled herring with onions and carrots is very good, with a slight sweetness, but the matjes herring has a weird blend of spices and is overly salty for my taste... and I love pickled herring.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Those giant cans of Mexican 'dines always come from China so I regretfully put them back. So freakin cheap though. :(

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

dines in extra virgin olive oil is best imo, with the oil having added flavors if it happens to have it. it really improves the sardine taste

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
dines in oil and using the oil on a salad is so clutch i cannot believe

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

It's great to add to sauces to bump up the "savory" flavor. Can add it to stir fry as part of the sauce you are adding. Could probably use it while making home made caesar salad dressing. You can also just put chilis garlic and fish sauce in a hot pan and just make your house smell like a Thai restaurant.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

anything savory. it's like balsalmic or worchestershire; it's umami sauce

e: more specifically, things you might mix anchovies into, like red sauce, or things with strong flavors you might use other umami sauces in/on, like red meat, stews & soups, meat pies, etc. the sky's the limit. ancient romans put garum (their fish sauce) on fuckin everything. it was like their only condiment

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Dunk your California rolls in nam pla prik sauce.