Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
You're not wrong, but in my heart of hearts I know I'd be pacing beside that white truck just to gently caress with that tailgater.

e: An excellent snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

You're not wrong, but in my heart of hearts I know I'd be pacing beside that white truck just to gently caress with that tailgater.

e: An excellent snipe.

:same:

And I'd justify it by preventing them from doing the same thing to another hapless driver. Those kinds of drivers are never going to be content with anyone's speed. You can be doing 75 in a 55 and they'll still be right on your rear end. If not your rear end, then someone else's. There's no 'safe' option for them.

But I try to do the right thing and let them by.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was so disappointed there wasn't a "pissssssssss" after she kept on saying holy poo poo

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smIkA0Y60zE

I've gone through this frame by frame, and still have to assume the yellow truck didn't render until I'd gotten to the corner.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

NoWake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smIkA0Y60zE

I've gone through this frame by frame, and still have to assume the yellow truck didn't render until I'd gotten to the corner.

Honestly I don't see what's such a big mystery there. So much of your view is blocked by the hill as you approach the corner.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
By the time the yellow SUV appears on the camera, it’s maybe level with the front of the parked silver SUV, and you can’t see much of anything past that point till you enter the intersection.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 11, 2019

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
He's probably saying the same thing about you. Looks like a lovely intersection.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's why parking that close to the corner is usually illegal. The parked cars make it unsafe both for visibility and turn clearance.

Also wtf with people in the few previous videos watching a wreck and then just driving away? I hope they at least submitted the footage to the cops later. When I got hit by a red light runner I only had one person stop to confirm to the cops that I had the green light. Without him there could have been a really annoying he said she said situation.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 13, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Also wtf with people in the few previous videos watching a wreck and then just driving away? I hope they at least submitted the footage to the cops later. When I got hit by a red light runner I only had one person stop to confirm to the cops that I had the green light. Without him there could have been a really annoying he said she said situation.
That drives me insane. "Oh, I just watched someone probably die, I'll hit the save button to make sure I can get internet cred later and ... that's all I'm willing to do here!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse. As in drive away and leave behind someone’s surprisingly attractive corpse.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

LloydDobler posted:

Also wtf with people in the few previous videos watching a wreck and then just driving away?

If I stopped to speak with the cops for every wreck I witnessed in DFW, I'd rarely make it home during rush hour. I don't run a dash camera or care about internet cred, but when there are dozens of witnesses, I'm certainly not going to be the one to stop and hang around for two hours to make some meaningless report to a bored cop.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LloydDobler posted:

That's why parking that close to the corner is usually illegal. The parked cars make it unsafe both for visibility and turn clearance.

In every wreck I've been in... I've only had one person stop. My insurance talked to them, but my claims adjuster told me (not word for word, but summed up) "your dashcam video was damning enough against the other driver, your witness was just the icing on the cake". Fastest I've ever had someone else's insurance settle; from accident to picking up my car at the body shop was probably a week and a half (it was driveable, just cosmetic damage; the hardest part was getting the other person's claims adjuster to answer the drat phone).

litany of gulps posted:

If I stopped to speak with the cops for every wreck I witnessed in DFW, I'd rarely make it home during rush hour never make it home.

FTFY. I stopped for plenty, but usually just gave my contact info and went on my way. I'd usually get a followup call from their insurance. There was one occasion where a cop (Dallas PD, even - they normally won't respond to non-injury wrecks) actually called me to thank me for stopping and giving my info, and just asked a few questions so he could finish his report. I guess when your dumbass cuts into the texpress lane on 635 and gets creamed by an F-150 (thus blocking the express lane for several hours), the cops get a bit pissed off.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
More likely when you plug up the new toll lane like that you're inconveniencing rich people, a crime for which there are most certainly consequences !!!

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
One of my most satisfying moments in life was when I witnessed a wreck when I was operating a streetcar. I gave my info to the two separate victims, and got a call from their insurance agency (they both happened to use the same agency) a few days later.

"And Mr. Avery, how do you know that the driver of the vehicle that struck my client was texting at the time of the accident?"

"Because my seat is five feet off the ground and I could very clearly look over and see her phone in her lap and that she was typing out a text."

"Ooh, that makes sense. Thank you."

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Recently some prick cyclist rear ended me, took out my taillight and then decided to stiff me on the cost of a replacement, so I've decided to upgrade my dashcam capabilities. I already have a front facing one, but I want one that records from the rear as well. It would also be great to get one that has a battery that records for a period of time after the car has been parked up, not super required though, and most of all I definitely do not want any speed/GPS data on the video. I don't mind if it costs a bit of $$, but having those features ideally with good video quality and not a ridiculously wide FOV (i.e I don't want the video distorted to the point you can't even make out licence plates that are close up) is key. Any idea on what the best dashcam in 2019 is for that?

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

If I stopped to speak with the cops for every wreck I witnessed in DFW, I'd rarely make it home during rush hour. I don't run a dash camera or care about internet cred, but when there are dozens of witnesses, I'm certainly not going to be the one to stop and hang around for two hours to make some meaningless report to a bored cop.

With the amazing number of people who get smeared on a dividing wall by drunk/neglectful drivers while stopped at the scene of an accident, I can understand.
Caught this today on my dashcam on North Dallas Tollway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQlmYaxwkE
In many cases there is no need to hang around for police. I just stopped, made sure everyone was safe, and handed my contact info to the van driver, then took off. Out of all those people in the other cars, not one stopped to render assistance or offer to be a witness
Got a call about 45 minutes later from a state trooper asking what I saw. I told him, and he confirmed that my version lined up with the other two drivers. He said only send the dashcam video if it showed anything additional which I didn't catch.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

qhat posted:

Recently some prick cyclist rear ended me, took out my taillight and then decided to stiff me on the cost of a replacement, so I've decided to upgrade my dashcam capabilities. I already have a front facing one, but I want one that records from the rear as well. It would also be great to get one that has a battery that records for a period of time after the car has been parked up, not super required though, and most of all I definitely do not want any speed/GPS data on the video. I don't mind if it costs a bit of $$, but having those features ideally with good video quality and not a ridiculously wide FOV (i.e I don't want the video distorted to the point you can't even make out licence plates that are close up) is key. Any idea on what the best dashcam in 2019 is for that?

I put this one in my Civic a few months ago and love it. It goes on sale every couple of months for around $90. (Rexing V1P Dual)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EX8ATK...dd-7501865a8e6d

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sometimes, there is minor justice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLIXeLwmbg

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ahh yes, that is the good stuff.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrYenko posted:

Man this video has all the urban South Florida hallmarks.

-Bright blue sky with a few clouds.
-Palm trees
-Some horribly laughably incompetent driving
-Relatively clean streets
-Lots of drainage
-Motorcycle cops pulling people over

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

We live a mile down the road from that intersection. She was very shook but still called local PD as soon as she got home, and the officer at the scene called her within 10 minutes. I pulled the video and sent it to him that evening.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 19, 2019

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Here's a dumb one I got a couple weeks ago on my drive home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXUorjycrqE

A few important points:
  • No, I don't know why she didn't go through the yellow light when she was already in the intersection
  • lol at the truck in the left lane, who did not have that problem
  • I couldn't back up, there was a car on my bumper
  • Milwaukee rules, go bucks

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

MrYenko posted:

Had something similar happen a few weeks ago. Someone took a left on a green circle and cut me off (i was going straight). There was a cop stopped at the perpendicular light, so I laid on the horn, saw his head go up, and about a second later on came the lights. Gave the cop a thumbs up and saw him start laughing.

Every time I see an rear end in a top hat in traffic, I think about stuff like this, it catches up to them eventually.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB81Sxh9Kys

New monthly Dash Cam Owners Australia video

Warning: A gently caress load of loud swearing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB81Sxh9Kys

New monthly Dash Cam Owners Australia video

Warning: A gently caress load of loud swearing

It's really not an Australian dash cam video without the swearing

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

Really surprised there isn’t an aftermarket horn in Australia that’s just a recording of a man screaming “oval office” at the top of his lungs.

Like the longer you press it the longer he holds out the “n”.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I LOL'd at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB81Sxh9Kys&t=936s

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Australian speed limits are absurdly low, no wonder they're cursing. I think they took the same numeric speed limits we have over here and just converted the units. You see 45 on a speed limit sign for an area and think "yeah that makes sense" then you realize they're in kph not mph and the limit is some around 28 mph and no wonder everyone is pissed. There's an area around me that has a 25 mph speed limit and its a struggle to maintain a rate of speed that low. That's a 40 kph zone for them and is probably pretty common. I would pull my hair out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have heard that in Australia you'll also get ticketed for going even 1 km/h over the limit; the police attitude is "it's a speed LIMIT not a speed SUGGESTION" and you are supposed to be going 5-10 km/h slower than that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

After reading that I was forced to shout oval office out loud just to regain my composure.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If that many people are driving on the wrong side of the road, I guess I can understand the wave of nationalism currently happening there. Might just be easier if they went ahead and switched to driving on the right.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

davebo posted:

If that many people are driving on the wrong side of the road, I guess I can understand the wave of nationalism currently happening there. Might just be easier if they went ahead and switched to driving on the right.

They're also driving upside down, which probably screws up the situation even more.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
8:30 to 8:50 I cannot interpret half the words from the driver, although I am certain they are some form of English.

And 9:30 to 9:35 - this isn't even English. What even

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 26, 2019

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

litany of gulps posted:

8:30 to 8:50 I cannot interpret half the words from the driver, although I am certain they are some form of English.

And 9:30 to 9:35 - this isn't even English. What even

The 8:30 guy was either an old Greek or Eastern European with Australian level swearing. And I recognise that bridge, in Mooroolbark in Victoria

https://goo.gl/maps/DY3CfaQXrTpqACD17

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

I usually roll my eyes at the Tesla ADAS 'saves', but this one is legitimately impressive car control on the part of the computer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK5rzgcgJ5U

If only either driver had been paying any attention.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wait, that looked like there was at least a tap. If there wasn't, yeah that's pretty impressively stupid on the part of both drivers... and impressively awesome on the car's part.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Reportedly, the driver thought he was hit judging by how violently the car moved, but the car did all of it on its own, and when he got out to look at it, there was no damage. On the other hand, the driver could have been blind, given how much attention he was paying to a car in front of him moving into his lane, so there's that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah I don't like that at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Linux Fairy posted:

Reportedly, the driver thought he was hit judging by how violently the car moved, but the car did all of it on its own, and when he got out to look at it, there was no damage. On the other hand, the driver could have been blind, given how much attention he was paying to a car in front of him moving into his lane, so there's that.

I recently found out that when you disable the Tesla autopilot, it will revert back to the speed you were going before you activated it.

So, if you turned it on it in a built up area, then head to a highway and it accelerates to match traffic, as soon as you try to disengage the autopilot, the car will massively decelerate back to the initial slow speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does that also mean that if you turn it on while cruising at 75mph, and it slows down to 35mph for heavy traffic, that when you disable it to take manual control it'll floor it back up to 75 and ram the car in front?