Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King Vidiot posted:

The best being Lexx, obviously :v:

Lexx had a really good episode where one of the crew members loses his undead mind and turns into a wisecracking Freddy Krueger-esque slasher and kills a bunch of teenage stowaways on the ship... I mean, just to keep things on-topic.

Wake The Dead in S2. One of the best eps of Lexx, and on VHS it shared a tape with the equally (if differently) great 791.

Lexx is remembered as the crazy sex SF show, but there's actually a fair amount of horror comedy in there. Most of the latter half of S2 is existential dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

King Vidiot posted:

Was it just extra title cards or something? Because the home video version still showed Lisa Zane gratuitously putting on a pair of 3D glasses for the final sequence.

Actually, it looks like I was wrong, and full scenes were just excised from the US home release. Apparently they're still available on the German release, though?

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1301

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The german cut includes some but not all of the extra scenes, so it's actually a third cut.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Weird. Then I legit have no idea what the content discrepancy would be.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I saw Freddy's Dead theatrically when it first came out and don't remember any extra footage. drat.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's probably why out of those lines from the nursery rhyme written in various places in the movie, "7, 8, better stay up late" is missing on home video.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Saw Child's Play. Thought it was fun. My only real complaint is I thought the end sequence could have went more bonkers. Was kinda let down after the build up. He should have shut the doors first!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Midsommar embargo is up. 94% after 34 reviews https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/midsommar

AV Club posted:

At two hours and 20 minutes, Midsommar is the kind of swing-for-the-fences passion project, the kind of operatic opus, you make when you’re fresh off a runaway success. The cult ceremonies, drug-enhanced pagan reveries conducted under the endlessly beating sun, seem to unfurl in real time; they threaten, occasionally, to push past hypnotic and into tedious. This is, in other words, a less perfectly crafted nightmare than Aster’s last one. But there’s a deranged integrity to its sprawl, and to the filmmaker’s willingness to embrace the darkest, most unsparing aspects of human desire. In its closing stretch, Midsommar achieves a terrible, apocalyptic transcendence, through an ending that’s frankly stunning in where it’s willing to go—and where its characters are willing to go—in search of catharsis. Madness, we’re reminded, can look like wisdom through the right eyes, or like liberation in the wrong (blinding day)light.

Collider posted:

Midsommar presents a ruthless take on the rituals of processing grief and letting go, excavating the caverns of broken relationships and the nauseous truths of why we stay in them. It doesn’t always work and there are some dead-end subplots that could use trimming, but the overall effect lands with an impressive punch. Like any great heartbreak, Midsommar takes some time to process.

Indiewire posted:

It’s the kind of mad science filmmaking worth rooting for: Aster refashions “The Wicker Man” as a perverse breakup movie, douses Swedish mythology in Bergmanesque despair, and sets the epic collage ablaze. He may not land every big swing, but the underlying vision is hard to shake even when it falters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inject grief horror into my veins please

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1143626760346591232

Already got my ticket to see it on my birthday next Tuesday :cool:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Who was disputing whether tweets count as marketing? Because..

I'm so fuckin hype though

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 26, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Finally sitting through Brain Damage on Shudder since it's been a long while since I sat through it. Pleasantly surprised it's the unedited version.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For anyone who has been procrastinating on checking out Us like I have, it's a $3 rental for Prime members right now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

For anyone who has been procrastinating on checking out Us like I have, it's a $3 rental for Prime members right now.

Us is good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I got halfway through Knife + Heart last night before I fell asleep (bc I was tired not bc the movie was bad). So far its one of the best neo-giallos I've seen, which imo is a very hard genre to pull off. It felt like a giallo made in 2018 rather than a pastiche movie. I was really very impressed. Excited to finish it, definitely check it out if you haven't yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

I got halfway through Knife + Heart last night before I fell asleep (bc I was tired not bc the movie was bad). So far its one of the best neo-giallos I've seen, which imo is a very hard genre to pull off. It felt like a giallo made in 2018 rather than a pastiche movie. I was really very impressed. Excited to finish it, definitely check it out if you haven't yet.

Yea I'm hoping for something a little less like The Editor and a little more on the side of like Cold Hell, which was definitely giallo influenced but doesn't just come across as a pastiche.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1143626760346591232

Already got my ticket to see it on my birthday next Tuesday :cool:

Man, I was not expecting A24 to try to pull off some William Castle-lite advertising, ever.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have a hot take and that is that Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a better meta-horror than Scream

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

COOL CORN posted:

I have a hot take and that is that Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a better meta-horror than Scream

I was just arguing this as a guest on a podcast this past weekend, I agree with this take.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

COOL CORN posted:

Agreed. NN is my favorite Nightmare movie period tbh. I think it’s wonderful, and has a rad score.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not Agreed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Too bad!!!!

I remember watching it for the first time and feeling like I uncovered a hidden film that should not exist. It was a strange feeling but a rewarding one.

Although tbh I haven’t seen scream in a real long time so I honestly could change my mind. But I adore New Nightmare a whole lot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing with Scream is that people mostly remember Jamie Kennedy as the meta aspect, i.e. all that stuff he says about the "rules" of slasher movies. But really the best meta aspect of it is how the killers model their crimes after slasher movies in an attempt to throw the police off their trail.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I enjoyed Us but until I read that post I forgot about the movie completely. It didn't stick with me the same way Get Out did. Will watch it again though to see if I appreciate it on second viewing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
New Nightmare was disappointing for me the last time I re-watched it (it's been a few years so I couldn't tell you exactly why), but Scream gets better every time. I don't think it's even close between the two.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I watched Us a few days ago. It’s weird because it feels like a throwback to something but I don’t know what. It felt very familiar, I guess is what I’m saying. I liked that it didn’t quite make sense and that it slowly goes from pretty grounded and mundane to surreal. I didn’t read much of what was being said when it came out but I’m guessing a lot of people got annoyed trying figure out exactly what was going on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I watched Us a few days ago. It’s weird because it feels like a throwback to something but I don’t know what. It felt very familiar, I guess is what I’m saying. I liked that it didn’t quite make sense and that it slowly goes from pretty grounded and mundane to surreal. I didn’t read much of what was being said when it came out but I’m guessing a lot of people got annoyed trying figure out exactly what was going on.

I haven't seen it yet so I avoided a lot of spoilers, but I actually got the sense that most complaints were more the opposite, that people thought it was a little too on-the-nose and predictable.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't seen it yet so I avoided a lot of spoilers, but I actually got the sense that most complaints were more the opposite, that people thought it was a little too on-the-nose and predictable.

Some aspects of it are definitely predictable, but I think they still work. The concept was a lot bigger than what I expected and I think the nuts and bolts of that only work if you just accept it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People were mad they didn’t explain everything.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

People were mad they didn’t explain everything.

People in the thread "beating" the movie with "how did they feed the rabbits?!" got me laughing pretty good.

New Nightmare owns, Scream owns.

I'll take NN since I'm a big Freddy fan.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

People in the thread "beating" the movie with "how did they feed the rabbits?!" got me laughing pretty good.

That’s actually a very important question that helps us understand Red’s monologue

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watching Scream rn. “The first one was, but the rest sucked” lmao Wes throwing shade. I forgot about that line.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

That’s actually a very important question that helps us understand Red’s monologue

I must have missed it, what do you mean?

CelticPredator posted:

Watching Scream rn. “The first one was, but the rest sucked” lmao Wes throwing shade. I forgot about that line.

She deserves everything she got for missing that F13 trivia

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 26, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Real quick but drat scary movie has ruined this movie for me. I have both films running in my head at the same time.

Every joke is so fresh in my brain.

Drunkboxer posted:

She deserves everything she got for missing that F13 trivia

Agreed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunkboxer posted:

Some aspects of it are definitely predictable, but I think they still work. The concept was a lot bigger than what I expected and I think the nuts and bolts of that only work if you just accept it.

The thing is most horror doesn't hold up under scrutiny, and you have to accept it. It's perfectly fine to have some aspects remain a mystery, I think it actually helps a lot in some cases

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah, I'm at a loss for this too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Drunkboxer posted:

I must have missed it, what do you mean?

I mean there are lots of ways to pick up that her “government experiment” story is wrong, but the impossibility of the scenario is the most obvious. She has a first grade education and fell into Evil Wonderland, the world reflects her anxieties literally. So the rabbits don’t eat, they don’t poo poo, clothes and scissors just appear, etc. Which, to the extent that the movie is about the exported violence that supports American lifestyles, is also also a literalization of this bewildering separation from the means of production not just individually but geographically and conceptually

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
oh, I thought you had been agreeing with the critique of the question, not that the existence of the question elucidates the film itself

also, Scream over NN

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alright, so it looks like they're starting to take orders for the second run of the Babadook book:

quote:

Dear Babadookers,

For those of you who’ve been patiently waiting for a Babadook book, your time has come. Babadook has decided not to murder you at this point, but to offer you one of his books instead, so he can terrorise you with it first, page by page.

As a result, we will be offering (for a very short time only) the chance to
BUY A SECOND EDITION MISTER BABADOOK POP-UP BOOK. ​

These books will be made to the same high standards as the first edition, but they won’t be numbered or signed (they will be marked with a second edition label.)​

We have attached a link to this site where you can purchase the 2nd edition book:

https://www.causewayfilms.com.au/babadookpopup

THIS OFFER WILL EXPIRE ON 1st September 2019.​

We need a minimum order of 2,500 books to make this happen, so DO NOT DELAY.
BUY YOUR COPY NOW.​

THIS IS THE LAST AND ONLY CHANCE YOU’LL HAVE TO BUY A BOOK.
WE WILL NOT BE REPRINTING THEM.​

(If we don’t reach our minimum order of 2,500 books, your purchase will be refunded and we’ll all go and have a cry about it. But it is our aim to reach this goal, so hop to it and buy one ASAP.)

You can also pass this link - https://www.causewayfilms.com.au/babadookpopup - on to friends and family who are stupid enough to let the Babadook into their lives and they too will be able to purchase a book. Spread it round, like a virus, that way you will be assured to get your book as we hit our minimum target.​

We’re not selling these books publicly. It’s just an opportunity for our diehard fans who missed out and who won’t leave us alone until they get their book! The only way to purchase a book will be through this link provided.

OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW:

Once this 1ST SEPTEMBER date has passed, we will pass on book numbers to our publisher and they will start printing.The books will then take approximately four months to print and issue, so you would be looking to receive your book in early 2020. We will inform you of the specific shipment dates as they become available.

Payment must be made upon ordering. Please also make sure to add a postal address that's valid until mid 2020.

Due to increases in material, freight and shipping costs over the last two years, we've had to increase our book cost slightly to US$100 (made up of $75 for the book and US$25 for postage*).​​

If you emailed us to be put on our book update list, this is why you’ve received this email. If you’ve already got your book, then lucky you, you have a first edition!​

And if you wish to be taken off this list please reply to thebabadook@gmail.com with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the header, and we won’t send you any more emails about the book.​

Please also note that we cannot ship to all countries. If you want a book and your country is not listed below, best to find a friend who can take receipt for it on your behalf in any of the countries listed below: ​

Argentina / Australia / Austria / Belgium / Brazil / Bosnia Herzegovina / Bulgaria / Canada /
Chile / Colombia / Croatia / Czech Republic / Denmark / Estonia / Finland / France / Germany /
Greece / Hong Kong / Hungary / Iceland / Ireland / Italy / Japan / Luxembourg / Macedonia /
Malaysia / Mexico / Netherlands / New Zealand / Norway / Poland / Portugal / Romania /
Serbia / Singapore / Slovenia / Slovakia / Spain / Sweden / Switzerland / Turkey /
United Kingdom (UK) / United States of America (USA)

LET’S REACH THIS GOAL SO YOU CAN ALL GET YOURSELVES THAT
MISTER BABADOOK BOOK!​

Kind regards from the Babadook Team :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I mean there are lots of ways to pick up that her “government experiment” story is wrong, but the impossibility of the scenario is the most obvious. She has a first grade education and fell into Evil Wonderland, the world reflects her anxieties literally. So the rabbits don’t eat, they don’t poo poo, clothes and scissors just appear, etc. Which, to the extent that the movie is about the exported violence that supports American lifestyles, is also also a literalization of this bewildering separation from the means of production not just individually but geographically and conceptually

That is definitely not what those posts were driving at