Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Midjack posted:

which would last right up until someone force updates something that breaks an especially critical system, and then force updating goes away forever.

as has already happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

which would last right up until someone force updates something that breaks an especially critical system, and then force updating goes away forever.

or until a forced driver update inevitably includes unnecessary bullshit.

"why do all the nuclear reactor control computers suddenly have candy crush and the ask jeeves toolbar installed?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midjack posted:

Windows had broken too much stuff because of feature updates, but if we're just taking about security updates for local government that can't be bothered to update fire years it might actually be better to break it than let them keep using a known vulnerability version.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Windows had broken too much stuff because of feature updates, but if we're just taking about security updates for local government that can't be bothered to update fire years it might actually be better to break it than let them keep using a known vulnerability version.

you may not be wrong, but you deal with the crowd coming in for their ebt cards that you can’t issue today because windows update ate poo poo and see what you think about forced updates.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

governments get ltsb, users get automatic updates

and can we just kill off any non-enterprise version of win7 already

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

flakeloaf posted:

as has already happened

wasnt there a respiration machine or something that rebooted for windows update in the middle of open heart surgery so they had to keep the patient alive manually

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

wasnt there a respiration machine or something that rebooted for windows update in the middle of open heart surgery so they had to keep the patient alive manually

yeah, norway a year or 2 ago

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

this morning BBC had a story on ransomware that was pretty standard, except at the end they went and interviewed a company that's apparently ransomware consultants or something? where companies will contract the whole "deal with the criminals" part out to them, and they'll try to negotiate the price down and handle buying the bitcoins and stuff like that. seems like a fun job

Totally legit. Friends with someone at a company that does IR, this is just one of their services.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
probably shouldn’t be running life supporting tech on a non real-time OS, anyways

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

which the os license tells you not to do in giant letters

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

governments get ltsb, users get automatic updates

and can we just kill off any non-enterprise version of win7 already
counting down to jan 14th 2020

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

probably shouldn’t be running life supporting tech on a non real-time OS, anyways

or, maybe, you know, buy the enterprise version of Windows and configure the update schedule through WSUS

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
nah, i don't think windows should be used for anything that someones life depends on at all.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

nah, i don't think windows computers should be used for anything that someones life depends on at all.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

we got dudes to the moon and back with a 2MHz guidance computer with 4KB of RAM and 72 KB of ROM

goddamn surgical life support needs windows updates though

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Kazinsal posted:

we got dudes to the moon and back with a 2MHz guidance computer with 4KB of RAM and 72 KB of ROM

it’s not rocket science brain surgery

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Vomik posted:

it’s not rocket science brain surgery

when my stepmother had brain cancer and she had to get surgery, i was shocked by the surgeon who talked us and told us "there's nothing to worry about, nobody dies during brain surgery".

he really seemed to trivialize it and it really made me stop thinking of "brain surgery" as some super complex thing.

and no, it wasn't dr. nick, either

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

it might not have required a windows update but Apollo did need a doors update after Apollo 1

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

when my stepmother had brain cancer and she had to get surgery, i was shocked by the surgeon who talked us and told us "there's nothing to worry about, nobody dies during brain surgery".

that's some fishmech level "well they stopped the surgery so they could die not in brain surgery" nitpicking

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

he really seemed to trivialize it and it really made me stop thinking of "brain surgery" as some super complex thing.

and no, it wasn't dr. nick, either

was he pitching ideas on housing and urban development too??

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
no but he looked exactly like todd from scrubs.

the surgery went off without a hitch, though. it just wasn't very effective.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've always heard that studying biology will make you marvel at the fantastic complexity that evolution and nature have achieved and studying medicine will make you marvel that our bodies ever work at all

currently reading the emperor of all maladies and it's a long history of brilliant, driven people achieving so much and at the same time being absolutely wrong about so many things

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

death isn’t the only terrifying risk of brain surgery. perhaps not even the most terrifying

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Shame Boy posted:

"why do all the nuclear reactor control computers suddenly have candy crush and the ask jeeves toolbar installed?"

we came in one morning and a PC had twitch.tv client bullshit all over it and we were trying to work out what form of security fuckup occurred that would let like a janitor's kid install and watch twitch on one of our PCs, looking at swipe in and swipe out times and what have you. turns out it was an AMD driver update

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

I've always heard that studying biology will make you marvel at the fantastic complexity that evolution and nature have achieved and studying medicine will make you marvel that our bodies ever work at all

currently reading the emperor of all maladies and it's a long history of brilliant, driven people achieving so much and at the same time being absolutely wrong about so many things

Both computers and bodies make you alternate between "this is amazing" and "how the gently caress does this work, at all"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Trabisnikof posted:

it might not have required a windows update but Apollo did need a doors update after Apollo 1

oof

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Subjunctive posted:

death isn’t the only terrifying risk of brain surgery. perhaps not even the most terrifying

seriously

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Subjunctive posted:

You already post on SA though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

endlessmonotony posted:

... makes you think, donut?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pseudorandom name posted:

or, maybe, you know, buy the enterprise version of Windows and configure the update schedule through WSUS

queue some computer toucher going: "sure this update is fine to run for all boxes at 6 am"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shame Boy posted:

i doubt critical power infrastructure runs a modern or up to date OS, or ever will

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

“UNHACKABLE COMPUTER” which cannot be hacked in any way whatsoever. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/microsafex/worlds-first-patented-unhackable-computer-ever :lol:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Not a typewriter next to a fireplace, hackable

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Vomik posted:

was he pitching ideas on housing and urban development too??

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

endlessmonotony posted:

you call this posting?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Oh look another worthy kickstarter, can't wait to see how this turns out :munch:

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1144127167216988160?s=20

e: duh i should read upthread

ewiley fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 27, 2019

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boiled Water posted:

Not a typewriter next to a fireplace, hackable

a fireplace in the room??? someone's ignoring sleigh santa dot io

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ewiley posted:

Oh look another worthy kickstarter, can't wait to see how this turns out :munch:

this is just two laptops glued together back to back where one has the wifi chip smashed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ewiley posted:

P p p p Powerbook, the only unhackable laptop :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

P p p p Powerbook, the only unhackable laptop :colbert:

whew thats a blast from the past