Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah lol, it’s tactical realism complaints, like it matters.

But the truth is, it isn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

That is definitely not what those posts were driving at

I mean I don’t know who wrote them or why, I’m just saying it’s not a dumb question

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I mean I don’t know who wrote them or why, I’m just saying it’s not a dumb question

If that was the direction the conversation was going in then I wouldn't have laughed at for being dumb. It was among a slew of "the movie falls apart from plot holes" posts that even went on to say Peele didnt put any thought into the film.

:shrug:

Thanks for responding why the question is worth discussion in a thematic sense though!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

If that was the direction the conversation was going in then I wouldn't have laughed at for being dumb. It was among a slew of "the movie falls apart from plot holes" posts that even went on to say Peele didnt put any thought into the film.

Grain of salt info, but Peele has said that all of the questions and plot holes people asked about have explanations, and that he thought out a lot of the different systems, it just doesn't make any sense to put that stuff in the script or to be included in the dialogue based on the knowledge/perspectives of the characters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Grain of salt info, but Peele has said that all of the questions and plot holes people asked about have explanations, and that he thought out a lot of the different systems, it just doesn't make any sense to put that stuff in the script or to be included in the dialogue based on the knowledge/perspectives of the characters.

See, I can accept this as an explanation but not as a way of fixing a movie. If everything makes logical sense but only if you're the writer/director who knows all the secrets, you're still creating a movie with plot holes. If it doesn't make sense to include it in the script as even a hint, you should probably reconsider whether that aspect should be impacting the movie in the first place.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

See, I can accept this as an explanation but not as a way of fixing a movie. If everything makes logical sense but only if you're the writer/director who knows all the secrets, you're still creating a movie with plot holes. If it doesn't make sense to include it in the script as even a hint, you should probably reconsider whether that aspect should be impacting the movie in the first place.

I agree. Too much negative space just creates plot-holes for (many but not all) audiences. Responding to Get Out, aka, the easiest movie to make a YouTube video about fun details, with Us, a movie that operates on dream logic straight out of an Italian film, is pretty much designed for all the negative discourse we've had about it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s not a plot hole if it doesn’t affect the plot.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The reveal and explanation of what was happening in Us is the best part of the movie. I was bored as hell throughout most of it, but when that exposition dump happened, I perked right up at that weird poo poo. Who cares about the logistics.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Complaining about plot holes is usually pretty boring film discussion and often feels like someone is trying to be smarter than the film/filmmaker

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Listen, if I can't figure out how these characters are making GBS threads and feeding rabbits and getting tampons and finding the right sized shoes, then I'm NOT GONNA LIKE YOUR SPOOKY MOVIE, DAD.

Eh, but seriously. I found all the people griping about the realism to the nightmare doppelganger movie killed my enthusiasm for discussing a movie that I thought was excellent.

MacheteZombie posted:

Complaining about plot holes is usually pretty boring film discussion and often feels like someone is trying to be smarter than the film/filmmaker

Exactly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Eh, but seriously. I found all the people griping about the realism to the nightmare doppelganger movie killed my enthusiasm for discussing a movie that I thought was excellent.

:same:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did anyone ever complain about the logistics of Jason Vorhees survived around Crystal Lake for 23 years after supposedly drowning?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If you go back and look at contemporary reviews of the second Friday the 13th, a bunch of people were confused as poo poo about how Jason was walking around killing people when he supposedly drowned twenty years earlier. It's not as though the first movie was supernatural in any way, so it's a legitimate thing to complain about. Especially when it's literally never explained in the entire series.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you go back and look at contemporary reviews of the second Friday the 13th, a bunch of people were confused as poo poo about how Jason was walking around killing people when he supposedly drowned twenty years earlier. It's not as though the first movie was supernatural in any way, so it's a legitimate thing to complain about. Especially when it's literally never explained in the entire series.

Yeah I think this is justified because it’s legitimately confusing and undermines the whole narrative of the first movie. In hindsight we all accept it with a shrug but at the time I’m sure it was pretty distracting.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
New Nightmare is not a good movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

I agree. Too much negative space just creates plot-holes for (many but not all) audiences. Responding to Get Out, aka, the easiest movie to make a YouTube video about fun details, with Us, a movie that operates on dream logic straight out of an Italian film, is pretty much designed for all the negative discourse we've had about it.

The problem isn’t going wtf at all this, it’s going wtf to all this and then somehow still accepting that it was a government special project when that’s just a fantasy concocted by a little girl who just watched The Right Stuff and C.H.U.D. The monologue has “plot holes”, not the movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

T Bowl posted:

Correct. It’s an excellent movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

The problem isn’t going wtf at all this, it’s going wtf to all this and then somehow still accepting that it was a government special project when that’s just a fantasy concocted by a little girl who just watched The Right Stuff and C.H.U.D. The monologue has “plot holes”, not the movie

But who cares.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

But who cares.

About what? The character’s state of mind?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Drunkboxer posted:

I watched Us a few days ago. It’s weird because it feels like a throwback to something but I don’t know what. It felt very familiar, I guess is what I’m saying. I liked that it didn’t quite make sense and that it slowly goes from pretty grounded and mundane to surreal. I didn’t read much of what was being said when it came out but I’m guessing a lot of people got annoyed trying figure out exactly what was going on.

I don't know if it's been discussed here but my wife had been watching the original Twilight Zone episodes alone and she literally watched an episode that a week later we watched Us and she said it's basically the same premise. I think Get Out is similar.

Peele takes ideas from Twilight Zone and remixes through modern film making, cultural statements, and identity politics.

Edit:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/22/18276458/jordan-peele-us-twilight-zone-episode-inspiration-mirror-image-doppelgangers-netflix-hulu-amazon

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DeimosRising posted:

I'm pretty sure that Goonies was in the collection as well.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I think this is justified because it’s legitimately confusing and undermines the whole narrative of the first movie. In hindsight we all accept it with a shrug but at the time I’m sure it was pretty distracting.

It's also the reason Tom Savini refused to return for the sequel. And he only showed back up for the Final Chapter because, contrary to popular belief, it really was supposed to be the last one, and he wanted to "finish what he started."

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

T Bowl posted:

Yeah, it’s such self-aggrandizing writing from Craven. And Freddy looks like poo poo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

The monologue has "plot holes" because the character has limited knowledge. With this logic, films like Fargo are full of plot-holes.

A plot hole would be a scientist breaking into the house to stop the family from being hurt and then leaving again without ever being seen again. A plot hole would be Red pulling a zipper down on her face to reveal she's actually been the two children doppelgangers sitting on each other's shoulders in a disguise the whole time. A plot hole would be police showing up and high-fiving the dopplegangers before shooting the family.

"Did you guys see Old Boy? Man, it's got this huge plot-hole in it. Get this, the guy is held captive for 15 years in some place, and he doesn't know what the gently caress is going on! Excuse me? Naw. He should have the blueprints to the facility memorized. And why didn't he explain how he survived without Vitamin D? Why didn't he explain how he avoided scurvy?"

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

If I remember rightly, it was covered in the novelization. He came to on the edge of the lake at some point, saw a bunch of police cars at the camp and got scared so he hid in the woods for a bit, then couldn't find his mother so he kept staying in the woods until he saw her head get cut off and went out for revenge.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

M_Sinistrari posted:

If I remember rightly, it was covered in the novelization. He came to on the edge of the lake at some point, saw a bunch of police cars at the camp and got scared so he hid in the woods for a bit, then couldn't find his mother so he kept staying in the woods until he saw her head get cut off and went out for revenge.

The novelization of part 2? And even so, it's still cheating, especially when the entire motive for the killer in the first film is the death of someone who is somehow alive and well.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

The monologue has "plot holes" because the character has limited knowledge.

That’s what I said. What’d you think the scare quotes were for

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

That’s what I said. What’d you think the scare quotes were for

I re-read your post and understand where the miscommunication comes from.

My frustration with audience reactions to Us is because they circle around these "plot holes" with absurd questions, and it stifles otherwise interesting discussions with the film's meat, the themes, ideas and imagery. That was broiled up again by my misreading your angle here.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah. And Nightmare on Elm Street, which along with Thriller and the Hands Across America commercial explains the costumes and plan. I do wanna know what’s on the other tape, which is labeled something like “Tuesday nite”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

I re-read your post and understand where the miscommunication comes from.

My frustration with audience reactions to Us is because they circle around these "plot holes" with absurd questions, and it stifles otherwise interesting discussions with the film's meat, the themes, ideas and imagery. That was broiled up again by my misreading your angle here.

No problem, I get where you’re coming from. Like I said I think that reaction comes from people recognizing that Red’s story is absurd, but not taking the next step and realizing it’s not factual exposition.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

As is the man with two brains.

The movie being set in Santa Cruz is also a reference to Lost Boys. (Was filmed there the town in the movie is "Santa carla")

Peele crams so many lil things into it. It's great

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

As is the man with two brains.

The movie being set in Santa Cruz is also a reference to Lost Boys. (Was filmed there the town in the movie is "Santa carla")

Peele crams so many lil things into it. It's great

There's a throwaway line about "a movie being filmed right now" in the beginning Santa Cruz scenes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

There's a throwaway line about "a movie being filmed right now" in the beginning Santa Cruz scenes

Yeah it's specifically the carousel scene from Lost Boys

E: not the dope sax man sadly

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm at a bit of a loss for words. Castle Freak's apparently getting a remake.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/06/26/stuart-gordons-castle-freak-is-getting-a-remake

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm at a bit of a loss for words. Castle Freak's apparently getting a remake.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/06/26/stuart-gordons-castle-freak-is-getting-a-remake

quote:

...and award-winning SFX makeup artist Tate Steinsiek will be making his directorial debut on the film

Call me cynical, but when has this not been a red flag to an oncoming train wreck?

I feel like it'll be cancelled before it hits production.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Barbara Crampton is producing along with Charles Band and Full Moon so yea I'm down for that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's also the reason Tom Savini refused to return for the sequel. And he only showed back up for the Final Chapter because, contrary to popular belief, it really was supposed to be the last one, and he wanted to "finish what he started."

I find it hard to believe a makeup technician drew a line in the sand over artistic integrity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

New Nightmare is desperately boring, has the lowest kill count in the franchise, and has the worst Freddy makeup outside of the tv series. Big thumbs down from me. I wanted a campy movie about the filming of a new NOES movie turning into a bloodbath as Freddy becomes real and starts killing off the cast and crew. Not Heather Langenkamp looking at her stupid kid worriedly for 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

New Nightmare is desperately boring, has the lowest kill count in the franchise, and has the worst Freddy makeup outside of the tv series. Big thumbs down from me. I wanted a campy movie about the filming of a new NOES movie turning into a bloodbath as Freddy becomes real and starts killing off the cast and crew. Not Heather Langenkamp looking at her stupid kid worriedly for 90 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw