Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I mean, it's probably a stretch, but what if the titans are just externalized representations of caricature? As in the persecuted Eldians are transformed into inhuman forms as punishment, the forms of which are grotesque and not what people of any sort really resemble, which is why no one thinks that they are human to begin with. They use the titans the same way that poster was used. Even the Eldians who work with Marley are almost token soldiers who reinforce the image of them as monsters.

Either way it makes for hard screenshot politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Transfiguring someone into a form they find abhorrent also explains the Ackerman family. After rereading chapter 69 I suspect they are collectively the Devil absent preternatural instrumentality and trapped in human form for the duration of Ymir's contract.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I totally forgot about Owl mentioning Mikasa and Armin. I guess that means the connection between titans (and Eldians) can flow backwards in time, which opens up all sorts of crazy possibilities for the endgame. And for that super long dream Eren woke up from while crying in chapter 1, and for what "to you, 2000 years later" means.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Please, please, God, let this last episode of the season be a combination of ""To the Other Side of the Wall" and "The Other Side of the Ocean". I just want to see what Gabi is like animated and committing war crimes.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I was watching the Castle Superbeast video that was linked in the other thread, and the guys in there seem convinced that Annie is Zeke's daughter. And at first I thought that was stupid, but then as I thought about it more, I realized that if we didn't have evidence to the contrary (seeing her real dad), it actually makes a lot of sense. It explains why her scream can control Titans, why she has a bit of the royal family look, and it ties her obsession with returning to her father into the larger narrative. I'm wondering if this is something Isayama had planned for originally but ended up scrapping, or if it's just a really weird coincidence. Or maybe it's a plot twist to come.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Beefstew posted:

I was watching the Castle Superbeast video that was linked in the other thread, and the guys in there seem convinced that Annie is Zeke's daughter. And at first I thought that was stupid, but then as I thought about it more, I realized that if we didn't have evidence to the contrary (seeing her real dad), it actually makes a lot of sense. It explains why her scream can control Titans, why she has a bit of the royal family look, and it ties her obsession with returning to her father into the larger narrative. I'm wondering if this is something Isayama had planned for originally but ended up scrapping, or if it's just a really weird coincidence. Or maybe it's a plot twist to come.

Ehh, there are three major problems with that. First of all, Annie is the same age as Eren, meaning that Zeke would have been 11 when he conceived her.

Second of all, Annie's dad has actually been shown, he was with Reiner's mom before Willy Tybur made that speech that Eren crashed. Third of all, when Marley was talking about all the abilities of the titans, they said that the female titan was one with a lot of abilities, including hardening and the scream by default.

Also, so much of Zeke's plot seems to be centered around not being born to the world as the way of saving it, I think it would be weird narratively for him to want to have a child.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Catalina posted:

Please, please, God, let this last episode of the season be a combination of ""To the Other Side of the Wall" and "The Other Side of the Ocean". I just want to see what Gabi is like animated and committing war crimes.
If Wit was sticking around, I'd probably have said this was a given. Without Wit sticking around, I give it a 50/50 chance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beefstew posted:

We saw Annie's dad in the first season. Annie had flashbacks to him and he looked nothing like Zeke. We also saw him at the Tybur announcement.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also the scream is apparently a power of that Titan.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Kild posted:

Also the scream is apparently a power of that Titan.

Is it? She obviously can't control the titans, her scream just summoned them to her location. Which doesn't require any special powers, because titans always prioritise shifters.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It's mentioned in Reiner's flashback the Female specifically can scream to summon Titans.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think titans naturally prioritize shifters. The only time we’ve seen them ignore other distractions to go after one was when Eren used the coordinate to attack Reiner.

The female titans special power is specifically to summon them, but not control them, in addition to what is I think implied to be above average endurance (but nothing at the level of the cart). Annie uses that power to have a bunch of titans ready to swarm through the hole Bert makes during the initial invasion.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The running theory is that titans eat humans hoping to find a shifter, like they instinctively know about that mechanic, but they don't know who's a shifter or have a means of detecting them so they just eat everyone for a chance to get lucky.

Personally I think it's plausible but I doubt it'll ever get spelled out specifically why titans eat humans and not other animals.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Nobody jobs harder than Baraka.
Baraka jobs so hard that he loses fights that he's not even in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JahRoo posted:

I don’t think titans naturally prioritize shifters. The only time we’ve seen them ignore other distractions to go after one was when Eren used the coordinate to attack Reiner.

The female titans special power is specifically to summon them, but not control them, in addition to what is I think implied to be above average endurance (but nothing at the level of the cart). Annie uses that power to have a bunch of titans ready to swarm through the hole Bert makes during the initial invasion.

Since she can harden too maybe the female titan is a jack of all trades sort of deal.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

Since she can harden too maybe the female titan is a jack of all trades sort of deal.

Remember, the Beast titan could harden too, Levi just din't give Zeke enough time in their first encounter. Annie was probably given the armoured titan serum, more or less the same way as Eren was.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Did they ever explained the armor titan serum?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Elias_Maluco posted:

Did they ever explained the armor titan serum?

Explain what? Explicitly state that it was serum taken from the Armored Titan, and that by consuming it other shifters can acquire a measure of the ability?

If so, no.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Conspiratiorist posted:

Explain what? Explicitly state that it was serum taken from the Armored Titan, and that by consuming it other shifters can acquire a measure of the ability?

If so, no.

Yeah, the technology behind it and all. Ive always assumed it was something like that (although, considering the way it worked when Eren used it on that Reiss cave, creating pillars and all, it might be from the warhammer titan instead), but it would be interesting anyway if the manga had explained it further.

It seems to open a lot of interesting possibilities (like, they do similar serums for other titan abilities? they use it on every titan shifter? etc), but the whole thing is kinda dropped after the Historia/Reiss arch

edit: the manga took the trouble of explaining in detail the whole technology behind using Zeke spinal fluid to create controllable titans, and everything else. Is not so unreasonable to expect it would eventually explain the armor serum too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 26, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It's never explicitly explained but it's what makes sense from observation. Likewise, besides a degree of individual variation all the different Pure Titan types are likely the result of using different titan serums and cocktails - ie quadripeds come from Cart and Jaws, and Marley never produces any Colossal type pure titans for obvious reasons. You'll note none of the titans Zeke used at Rakako, Shiganshina, or Fort Slava were quadripeds.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Beefstew posted:

Nobody jobs harder than Baraka.
Baraka jobs so hard that he loses fights that he's not even in.

Pretty sure you're in the wrong thread, but I agree that Baraka jobs so hard he jobs in threads that he's not even relevant in.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The Bee posted:

Pretty sure you're in the wrong thread, but I agree that Baraka jobs so hard he jobs in threads that he's not even relevant in.

poo poo, sorry. Mobile gets confusing sometimes!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Just imagine I said Reiner instead of Baraka.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Beefstew posted:

Just imagine I said Reiner instead of Baraka.

Hey that's not fair Reiner totally won that one fight against

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

McTimmy posted:

Hey that's not fair Reiner totally won that one fight against

The gate to Shiganshina

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder if Baraka could defeat a Titan.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I want to see what happens if a shifter has multiple weird titan powers. Like, what if Eren ate both Bertold and Reiner? What if Eren got stabbed with that colossus spinal fluid when they were in the caves?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Raxivace posted:

That one dude in the first live-action movie hosed up a titan w just an axe, and he was on foot.

That first movie owns honestly, for what it is. Ignore the sequel.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

That one dude in the first live-action movie hosed up a titan w just an axe, and he was on foot.

That first movie owns honestly, for what it is. Ignore the sequel.

Yeah, I remember surprisingly not hating it, as opposed to poo poo like the live-action FMA movie. I never saw the second AoT movie, though, so I guess that's good.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Raxivace posted:

Probably, assuming he had an easy way to climb a titan.

But you give him a 3D Gear, he may just end up giving it to Outworld...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet a single titan could feed Baraka's tribe for months

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I bet a single titan could feed Baraka's tribe for months

It would evaporate in seconds. Unless of course they captured one and just gnawed on it endlessly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Faustian Bargain posted:

I want to see what happens if a shifter has multiple weird titan powers. Like, what if Eren ate both Bertold and Reiner? What if Eren got stabbed with that colossus spinal fluid when they were in the caves?

I think one of the possible endgames is reuniting all 9 titans into a single body

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I think one of the possible endgames is reuniting all 9 titans into a single body
I can't wait for Eren to transform into a humanoid Infinity Gauntlet.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

It's gotta be Zeke or Historia (or their offspring) then right? Or else the founding titan is useless.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Have some official Armin art by WIT studio
https://twitter.com/WIT_STUDIO/status/1144545980177514497?s=20

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Faustian Bargain posted:

It's gotta be Zeke or Historia (or their offspring) then right? Or else the founding titan is useless.

You'd probly get the same effect from all the shifters holding hands.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Nope, it's explicitly said that if someone with royal blood eats the "coordinator" titan, they'll be taken over by the king's personality/memories. So I assume if that does happen, it would have to be someone non-royal.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So apparently the next season of the anime is going to be the final one. We must be getting extremely close to a resolution. Like now I'm thinking the battle we're currently reading might be the the last battle of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
We’re definitely getting close, but I’d still estimate around 10-15 chapters left before we reach the end