Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

As someone near real mountains, I appreciate that comparison

e: gently caress that is a bad page snipe.
um.. tps: I once had a request to disable the controls on an embedded youtube video. I solved this by floating a div over the whole thing.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

sometimes I'm super productive when I wfh but recently it's been more like "I should really write this data conversion but it's hard and boring so I'll procrastinate". I think it's probably taken like 3 days to do it total when it really was about 5 hours work.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Fool posted:

As someone near real mountains, I appreciate that comparison

e: gently caress that is a bad page snipe.
um.. tps: I once had a request to disable the controls on an embedded youtube video. I solved this by floating a div over the whole thing.

I had to implement a similar request when I was working at Experts Exchange. Users could upload instructional videos and EE would slap a watermark on them and serve them to the paying subscribers. Being just a <video> tag, you could of course just right-click and save the video. Or you could go straight to the video URL. Or you could capture your screen. They wanted me to float a <div> over the video so right-clicks wouldn't go through, despite that being trivial to defeat, too.

The point I was making was that, as soon as we served these videos to the users, the users could save them forever. I told my team lead the change was stupid, set the commit author to "Alan Smithee," and told my team lead to create and merge the pull request, because I would not. A little bit later, the CEO called both of us up to their office. The CEO was like, "What am I supposed to tell companies who want us to serve their content when they ask what sort of protections we have against downloading and re-sharing their videos?" and I was like, "Tell them there is no way to stop people from downloading them and copyright claims are the way to handle people sharing them."

We went around in circles for like twenty minutes before I said, "Look, the change is already committed and you're not going to change my mind on this. Can we get back to work?"

Then I got laid off, lol

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
i wfh way more than i should and when i do i primarily paint space barbies and let my kids talk to my coworkers on skype. i would bad about this except I’m somehow still the person who gets things done way ahead of schedule so this really says something about everyone in the office :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Beamed posted:

is Midwestern guilt what midwesterners call catholic guilt when they move out of the midwest

I have never been a catholic so no

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

midwestern protestants definitely have a level of guilt rivaling or transcending catholics'

it's just that catholic guilt is conceptually "i am inherently sinful" while midwestern guilt is more "i am inherently lazy." i'm not allowed to have fun because god is mad, vs. i'm not allowed to have fun because i need to work harder

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Midwestern chief of product has been landing commits at 2am again

Hes a deec coder, it's just lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Midwestern chief of product has been landing commits at 2am again

Hes a deec coder, it's just lol

does he have a newborn? I had some coworkers that would do that if they were up anyway

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am making some changes in some hideously overcoupled ui code and im super torn between refactor the poo poo outta this so i can plausibly test anything or just saying gently caress it and creating the pull request

lowkey concerned about creating new bugs in the process of refactoring it to something that isnt a hazardous waste dump but it is basically impossible to automatedly test as-is

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

this morning one of the offshore devs said "can we not start work on this new feature stack until mid July because I'm away and if you do it you'll have done the whole thing because you're too fast and I want to do it because it looks interestimg" and I'm actually kind of proud because this means my pushing them to "think about something that would be interesting to do" has sort of worked.

ofc I'm gonna make sure that we at least sketch a design out first otherwise it'll be a clusterfuck.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sagebrush posted:

midwestern protestants definitely have a level of guilt rivaling or transcending catholics'

it's just that catholic guilt is conceptually "i am inherently sinful" while midwestern guilt is more "i am inherently lazy." i'm not allowed to have fun because god is mad, vs. i'm not allowed to have fun because i need to work harder

yes and neither of these is midwestern guilt. what jitbull is referring to is the inability of a midwesterner to get out of a conversation, no matter how trivial or insulting, because the midwesterner is terrified that being rude to the other person will be considered a bigger loss of face than whatever stupid or malicious thing the other person is bothering you with

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

til Catholic guilt is not a thing in Mexico

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

sometimes I'm super productive when I wfh but recently it's been more like "I should really write this data conversion but it's hard and boring so I'll procrastinate". I think it's probably taken like 3 days to do it total when it really was about 5 hours work.

those are rookie numbers. Come back when you've taken 3 weeks

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Sagebrush posted:

this can't be true because this describes me perfectly and i have never stepped foot in the midwest

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
tps: i just spent a loving hour trying to hunt down why my lambda function was failing to stream files from an sftp server to a bucket, no exceptions thrown, logs looked clean. turns out another function id made to move files from bucket to bucket was configured to hit the same spot, and happily moved all my test files into another space before i could check

i mean, im glad it works because i was getting frustrated but ugh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

i am making some changes in some hideously overcoupled ui code and im super torn between refactor the poo poo outta this so i can plausibly test anything or just saying gently caress it and creating the pull request

lowkey concerned about creating new bugs in the process of refactoring it to something that isnt a hazardous waste dump but it is basically impossible to automatedly test as-is

split the difference and do the laziest imaginable refactoring

it sounds like I’m joking but I’m not really, even the tiniest teasing apart of dependencies can have ripple effects the next time someone needs to make a change and test it, or find a place to put similar logic, etc.

I’ve even gotten value out of literally just moving a bunch of classes that were in one file into separate files, because being in the project’s navigation hierarchy makes them more visible to others and they wind up more reused, adapted, maintained, etc.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

aardvaard posted:

this can't be true because this describes me perfectly and i have never stepped foot in the midwest

chicago rules my dude

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

split the difference and do the laziest imaginable refactoring

it sounds like I’m joking but I’m not really, even the tiniest teasing apart of dependencies can have ripple effects the next time someone needs to make a change and test it, or find a place to put similar logic, etc.

I’ve even gotten value out of literally just moving a bunch of classes that were in one file into separate files, because being in the project’s navigation hierarchy makes them more visible to others and they wind up more reused, adapted, maintained, etc.

oh ya this'll be lazy as hell if it happens. like just try and cut business logic from the view and paste it in the business logic class. this is still astonishingly messy lmao

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

oh ya this'll be lazy as hell if it happens. like just try and cut business logic from the view and paste it in the business logic class. this is still astonishingly messy lmao

https://youtu.be/YYvOGPMLVDo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

does he have a newborn? I had some coworkers that would do that if they were up anyway

He got a dog

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

He bought a zoo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its like an infinite nesting doll of poo poo tightly coupled to other poo poo and i gotta find the bottom to start unzipping it but there is no bottom

lowkey concerned that the bottom is actually a hydra where the various 10kloc+ god objects ive run into are the heads

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Bloody posted:

its like an infinite nesting doll of poo poo tightly coupled to other poo poo and i gotta find the bottom to start unzipping it but there is no bottom

but enough about your post history

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think it's probably taken like 3 days to do it total when it really was about 5 hours work.

pls don't doxx my entire career

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this code is fuckin cursed i dont understand how it does anything at all

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bloody posted:

wait I didn’t know there was a new dev joining my team

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bloody posted:

this but it's a database structure and I wrote it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Bloody posted:

i think that means you're supposed to throw it away and rewrite it in a hip new language that no one at your company has ever used before

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Plorkyeran posted:

i think that means you're supposed to throw it away and rewrite it in a hip new language that no one at your company has ever used before

wait I didn't know a new dev was joining my team

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

and if anyone else happens to be familiar with the language, find a framework they haven't heard of that they must use now or be left behind by your competitors

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

lmao this is basically the whole native c/c++ portion of our android code

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

no they're quite different

just wanna say this post comment and user name are fantastic god bless:angel:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
terrible programming: this code is fuckin cursed i dont understand how it does anything at all

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DaTroof posted:

terrible programming: this code is fuckin cursed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DaTroof posted:

terrible programming: this code is fuckin cursed i dont understand how it does anything at all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

c tp s: just discovered that this compiles fine in the project i'm bugfixing atm
C++ code:
void f()
{
  for (int i = 0; i < 3; ++i) {}
  cout << i << endl; // i == 3; same i, its scoped to the whole fn
  for (i = 0; i < 10; ++i) {} // ditto
}

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

c tp s: just discovered that this compiles fine in the project i'm bugfixing atm
C++ code:
void f()
{
}

gcc has a flag for letting you that: fpermissive iirc. turn it off imo

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Aren't old MSVC versions cool? :v:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
wasn't the last msvc that had that bug version 6.0 from tyool 1998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Ciaphas posted:

C++ code:
void f()
{
}

code:
[drpossum@ash temp]$ cat fuckup.cpp 
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void f()
{
}

int main(){
    f();
    return 0;
}

[drpossum@ash temp]$ g++ -fno-for-scope -o fuckup fuckup.cpp
cc1plus: warning: ‘-fno-for-scope’ is deprecated [-Wdeprecated]

[drpossum@ash temp]$ ./fuckup 

man gcc posted:

-fno-for-scope
If -ffor-scope is specified, the scope of variables declared in a for-init-statement is limited to
the "for" loop itself, as specified by the C++ standard. If -fno-for-scope is specified, the
scope of variables declared in a for-init-statement extends to the end of the enclosing scope, as
was the case in old versions of G++, and other (traditional) implementations of C++.

This option is deprecated and the associated non-standard functionality will be removed.

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 29, 2019