Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Oh no.

I think I developed a new fetish.

Oh no

I think I've become attracted to the poster to 1990's Brain Dead.

Oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh no.

Oh no

Oh no

Never knew Paxton and Pullman were in the same flick.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh no.

Oh no

Oh no

lol ya a “new” fetish :jerkbag:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Smashing Link posted:

More like oldpullface

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Am I crazy or is pretzel and icecream a pretty good combo?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ZfMy8UG.gifv

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

TontoCorazon posted:

Chubby Hubby is the fuckin jam if you haven't tried it yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Field Mousepad posted:

Chubby Hubby is the fuckin jam if you haven't tried it yet.

Jesus, use some lube at least so you don't hurt yourself :ohdear:.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mng posted:

Butter cookies are awesome.

[National Pride swelling]

Yeah they're good. ignore that other rear end in a top hat

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TontoCorazon posted:

They hadn't discovered the combination of sweet and salty yet. The key ingredient in nearly everything back then was hard drugs and that was good enough.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god I can't believe this thread cared about a slight editorializing in anime subtitles lmao. Who cares? You're reading stuff into the removal of the explicit homosexuality which is political in a way that "anime subtitles" aren't really gonna be.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pick posted:

Oh my god I can't believe this thread cared about a slight editorializing in anime subtitles lmao. Who cares? You're reading stuff into the removal of the explicit homosexuality which is political in a way that "anime subtitles" aren't really gonna be.

Anime is a curse, a powerful curse. You are a cursed-men, begone to you cursed hovel.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Facebook Aunt posted:

This unfortunate woman doesn't understand how clothes work.

Please don't laugh at her, her life is a nightmare.

Are they rebooting The Handmaid's Tale already?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Hyped for the breakout episode of the next season of Black Mirror: The Handmaid's Tale but with Insta-thotties

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MizPiz posted:

Hyped for the breakout episode of the next season of Black Mirror: The Handmaid's Tale but with Insta-thotties

I had to look up "thotties"

Thanks.

I hope it features Philomena Cunk.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Nah, this is for the Hellraiser reboot.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lobok posted:

They hadn't discovered the combination of sweet and salty yet. The key ingredient in nearly everything back then was hard drugs and that was good enough.

Such savages

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Smashing Link posted:

It's a double Bill double bill.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Pick posted:

This was brought up in the Eva thread in ADTRW. Turns out Japan has had a history of far-left terror attacks in its history, and as the Netflix translation is incredibly literal they left that line as-is.

Go to this post for some more context:

Arkhams Razor posted:

Found this thread in the tweet linked earlier that seems to provide some context for the translation:

So it appears to be another instance of the issues that have plagued other parts of the new translation, in that the interpretation is technically correct but may or may not be properly applying the context in which it was used.

EDIT: Some other halfway relevant tweets:
https://twitter.com/nezumi_ningen/status/1144026280494415877

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Pick posted:

...are you mad that people aren't being mad at anime correctly?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Anime should be rejected as the reactionary garbage that it is

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MizPiz posted:

Anime should be rejected as the :pedo: reactionary garbage that it is

You forgot an important emoticon, friend. Especially when referring to Evangelion, a cartoon that sexualizes children for profit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bare bottom pancakes posted:

This was brought up in the Eva thread in ADTRW. Turns out Japan has had a history of far-left terror attacks in its history, and as the Netflix translation is incredibly literal they left that line as-is.

Go to this post for some more context:

The real hard born left has done tons of truly revolting things. Just ask the peasantry of the beginnings of the Soviet Union.

you can't

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Because they've been dead for decades?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anime is bad.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Source please, cause I couldn't find anything about this

One of them was Linda Li, and the third one if memory serves was another background actor but I couldnt find her name.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TontoCorazon posted:

It's absolutely amazing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jamesman posted:

Maybe I'm just a broke-brained libtard but I don't see anything wrong with this? Isn't this how taxes and government funding are supposed to work?

You can look at and rate a society in several ways, but two important ones are: How good can life be and how good is the average life? In America, life can be very, very good for some people. For a select few money is no longer a real object and they life in a post-scarcity world full of luxury and ease (yet they will complain about how much is costs to maintain multiple properties, hire staff and assistants, and having to buy a new yatch every two years). More the majority, life is just some level of suffering and fear where we trade time for money so we can trade money for existence. The quality of your life is directly tied to how much money you have, which is tied to how much money your parents had, or your connections, or what opportunities were presented to you, or your health. The wealthy Americans are there because they've been rigging the game for over a century, and every step that takes from the average citizen gives to the rich. By this metric, America is amazing because those at the top are doing so well!

Personally, and this is hardly a controversial statement in this day and place, I think that a great country is one that's great to all it's citizens at the cost of the very wealthy. A country where everyone was guaranteed a shot at being healthy without going broke, of getting an education without being saddled with debt, of finding child care that doesn't cost so much that you need to work at the daycare to afford it. Just blanket basics that can be covered by taking it back from the top, from people who accumulated the wealth then changed the tax laws so they could keep their wealth and generations who inherited the wealth, from people who sit at the top of a pyramid supported by the downtrodden. There's a way to even the playing field that would really elevate the USA but the only people interested in that are the people with the least power to do so. I'm not an expert but I tend to think the Nordic model is worth looking at, even though I don't think it would translate perfectly to a country as large as the US.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LawfulWaffle posted:

You can look at and rate a society in several ways, but two important ones are: How good can life be and how good is the average life? In America, life can be very, very good for some people. For a select few money is no longer a real object and they life in a post-scarcity world full of luxury and ease (yet they will complain about how much is costs to maintain multiple properties, hire staff and assistants, and having to buy a new yatch every two years). More the majority, life is just some level of suffering and fear where we trade time for money so we can trade money for existence. The quality of your life is directly tied to how much money you have, which is tied to how much money your parents had, or your connections, or what opportunities were presented to you, or your health. The wealthy Americans are there because they've been rigging the game for over a century, and every step that takes from the average citizen gives to the rich. By this metric, America is amazing because those at the top are doing so well!

Personally, and this is hardly a controversial statement in this day and place, I think that a great country is one that's great to all it's citizens at the cost of the very wealthy. A country where everyone was guaranteed a shot at being healthy without going broke, of getting an education without being saddled with debt, of finding child care that doesn't cost so much that you need to work at the daycare to afford it. Just blanket basics that can be covered by taking it back from the top, from people who accumulated the wealth then changed the tax laws so they could keep their wealth and generations who inherited the wealth, from people who sit at the top of a pyramid supported by the downtrodden. There's a way to even the playing field that would really elevate the USA but the only people interested in that are the people with the least power to do so. I'm not an expert but I tend to think the Nordic model is worth looking at, even though I don't think it would translate perfectly to a country as large as the US.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Grimdude posted:

Conservative political cartoonists have always been embarrassingly lovely I see.

The conservatives were the ones who wanted alcohol banned.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

the only good opinion about anime

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Phanatic posted:

The conservatives were the ones who wanted alcohol banned.
There was a large overlap between suffragettes and advocates for prohibition. Drinking culture in the US before Prohibition could be really extreme and women suffered for it, both because drinking led to domestic abuse and because they were financially dependent on their husbands who could become hopeless alcoholics or spend all their time and money at the saloon.

TontoCorazon posted:

Siljmonster posted:

It's absolutely amazing
Stewarts, a convenience store/gas station chain in upstate New York, used to have an ice cream with pretzel pieces in it. It was . . . not that great. (If you get the chance to try their Crumbs Along the Mohawk ice cream though, do it. It's delicious.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

trickybiscuits posted:

There was a large overlap between suffragettes and advocates for prohibition. Drinking culture in the US before Prohibition could be really extreme and women suffered for it, both because drinking led to domestic abuse and because they were financially dependent on their husbands who could become hopeless alcoholics or spend all their time and money at the saloon.

Did prohibition lead to people drinking only hard liquor, and more violent crime (including domestic violence) in the US like it did in Finland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did prohibition lead to people drinking only hard liquor, and more violent crime (including domestic violence) in the US like it did in Finland?

I think so.

It also led to the mob becoming a lot more powerful (because who do you think is running the speakeasies and supplying booze to people?) and paved the way for the domination of the american beer market by lovely pisswater macrobrews, because the huge companies were the ones that could afford to stay open through Prohibition and just make soda, smaller breweries just went out of business.