Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ok, signups are closed! good luck yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
A Life Well Lived
Micron pens on Bristol board. Original size 7"x7". Some elements drawn from models/photographic references but nothing is traced.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Apologies but the gang tag is presenting problems for dumb radium reasons, we're trying to get hold of lowtax to fix it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hello kiddo's! The submission deadline is Wednesday at midnight so start posting your stuff! Also I think we still need 2 backup judges. Any volunteers? I'll take one slot if needed.

Remember, it's fine if your work is imperfect or if you're still a beginner. The primary point of this thread is first and foremost to learn and grow from others and we respect that you're here making the effort. We're not going to dog-pile you just because you still have more to learn. Plus, if your idea is clever/fun enough you might just beat the pants off of somebody with far superior technical skills (or at least score a sweet HM) so don't just assume you can't win.

If you're feeling stuck or unsure of how to proceed try asking for help in the CC Chat or the Stupid Little Questions threads. CC peeps are super chill and will be happy to help you work past any hurdles you're having.

Good luck!

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

readingatwork posted:

A Life Well Lived
Micron pens on Bristol board. Original size 7"x7". Some elements drawn from models/photographic references but nothing is traced.

I love the detail in this, and the linework was done beautifully. I love how it creates direction and texture. I also enjoy the juxtaposition of the alive and modern things on the top of the side table, and the old and dead things on the bottom shelf. I also like the mood you created, it's peaceful even though there's lots going on.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Okay, I think I'm finally done with this. It was a fun challenge!

It's a combination of Col-Erase and Faber Castell colored pencils in a Moleskine A4 sketchbook (8.25" x 11.75")

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I want to participate. Hopefully not too late. I saw there was a due date to announce interest. Figure I will try anyways. A good exercise is a good exercise.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 25, 2019

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

sigma 6 posted:

I want to participate. Hopefully not too late. I saw there was a due date to announce interest. Figure I will try anyways. A good exercise is a good exercise.

If you think you can finish by the deadline I’d have no problem with it. Al! Has final say though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

readingatwork posted:

If you think you can finish by the deadline I’d have no problem with it. Al! Has final say though.

im ok with it but the deadline for consideration is tonight so get to it

edit: it has been brought to my attention that the deadline is tomorrow lol

Al! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 25, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Is the deadline for the artwork to be submitted tonight by midnight or tomorrow night by midnight? Thought it was Wednesday night by midnight but I can have *something* tonight if it must be in tonight. As in 12AM tonight right? Sorry for the confusion.

readingatwork posted:

Hello kiddo's! The submission deadline is Wednesday at midnight so start posting your stuff!

This would imply I have tomorrow to work too, or am I misunderstanding?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 25, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Is the deadline for the artwork to be submitted tonight by midnight or tomorrow night by midnight? Thought it was Wednesday night by midnight but I can have *something* tonight if it must be in tonight. As in 12AM tonight right? Sorry for the confusion.

This would imply I have tomorrow to work too, or am I misunderstanding?

i thought it was Wednesday already :sweatdrop:

good thing time doesnt exist

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Mine's still drying. The humidity's a bitch at the moment.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Charcoal on Sketch Paper

e: Oh geez, if we have more time with it, then I'm making a better one!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Greetings fellow gothics!

Acrylic on mdf panel, 30cm square, palette knife

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If anyone's still considering getting a replica skull, I'd really recommend it - I've used McCoy in loads of pictures, he's definitely earned his keep.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

So midnight in what time zone? I have a pic of mine on my phone but I need to tweak it a tiny bit.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'll help judge this one if needed. What does it entail? Just posting critiques and choosing a winner?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HungryMedusa posted:

So midnight in what time zone? I have a pic of mine on my phone but I need to tweak it a tiny bit.

as a resident of the baker islands, i'll be cutting it off at UTC−12:00 :P. basically, try to get it in while 6/26/2019 still exists on the globe.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Chernabog posted:

I'll help judge this one if needed. What does it entail? Just posting critiques and choosing a winner?

Just crits. Only Al! Gets to pick a winner and hand out HMs since they were the last round’s winner. You can say which ones you *want* to win though.

Critiques themselves can be anywhere from a few paragraphs per contestant explaining what you thinks works vs what doesn’t to several pages of charts and graphs detailing lots of very specific advice. It’s completely up to you and your comfort level. Just keep in mind that the purpose of a crit is to help the recipient improve, not tear them down. Be honest with any flaws you see, but also be sensitive to the fact that posting your art can be intimidating.

HungryMedusa posted:

It’s Al!’s call for this round but going forward I’m going to say the default is PST unless specified otherwise since that gives people the most leeway to submit their work.

Good Ol Filbert posted:

I love the detail in this, and the linework was done beautifully. I love how it creates direction and texture. I also enjoy the juxtaposition of the alive and modern things on the top of the side table, and the old and dead things on the bottom shelf. I also like the mood you created, it's peaceful even though there's lots going on.

I just realized I never responded to this. Thank you for your kind words!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Not gonna make the deadline. Just heard that a friend died... and... I am not motivated to draw about mortality ATM. Should have started earlier I guess. Took a ton of reference too. Ugh.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Not gonna make the deadline. Just heard that a friend died... and... I am not motivated to draw about mortality ATM. Should have started earlier I guess. Took a ton of reference too. Ugh.

im sorry to hear that, i was looking forward to seeing your submission. hope you feel better soon

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah cant make it either. Work and school blizted me as soon as i said "im In". Im just so tired.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Oh, no. Sorry Sigma 6.

Here is my entry. I bought myself a reference skull and a skeleton hand, too. I am trying to get more loose in my work because my normal stuff is very detailed colored pencil and the colored pencil people are 90% judge on super realism. So this was a fun exercise in trying to draw what I see. 12x9" acrylic markers on Yupo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

alright submissions are closed! ill announce a winner this evening, this is an extremely tough one so thank you to everyone involved

Al! fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 27, 2019

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I like the colors and composition. While I do appreciate that you made the skull darker to separate the planes I think the piece would have benefited from sharper and more directional lighting, the hand feels a bit flat and since it has so much contrast it takes most of the attention away from the skull. I think the ruby would look better without the outline, or at least a really thin one.

lofi posted:

Greetings fellow gothics!

Acrylic on mdf panel, 30cm square, palette knife
Nice job, I really like the roughness of it. I almost want to see it go rougher and more abstract. A tiny bit of color could probably enhance it for the better.

Good Ol Filbert posted:

Charcoal on Sketch Paper

e: Oh geez, if we have more time with it, then I'm making a better one!
The idea is solid, having the candle (light source) behind the composition can get you some very interesting results. Unfortunately you didn't use that to your advantage. Here are some pointers to help you in the future:
-Use the light to your advantage to get interesting shadows and shapes. If you darkened the background the skull would instantly pop out. It could even be a circle gradient around the flame to suggest light and brightness.
-Watch your lines, they are mostly too thick and rough. If your drawing utensil is too thick then you need to either get a thinner one or draw bigger. I can't make out what the little shapes on the right are.
-Why is the skull sitting on a sphere? What is the sphere? Even if it is justified, the top of the skull has a tangent with the table which looks a bit funny.
-Be more playful with your compositions, usually you don't want things to sit right in the middle of the canvas.

Maybe this sounded a bit harsh but I can guarantee that if you follow these pointers it will improve vastly. I'd even encourage you to do it again.

readingatwork posted:

A Life Well Lived

Very neat and clean, and nice job with the patterns and the perspective.
Observations:
-Some of the items are a bit wonky, especially the glass/ceramic things. The books look like they have weird proportions but maybe that's just because they are somewhat covered.
-Add thicker outlines to the front stuff to help separate it from the BG. You somewhat did that already but you can push it much further.
-Consider adding some cast shadows onto the sofa, floor and wall, it would also help separate the planes. Since the textures make it very busy I think anything that helps with the visual organization is worthwhile.

heavy liquid posted:

Okay, I think I'm finally done with this. It was a fun challenge!
It's a combination of Col-Erase and Faber Castell colored pencils in a Moleskine A4 sketchbook (8.25" x 11.75")

I like the technical aspects of the drawing, the outlines are all clean and confident and the objects seem "right". The cable gives the composition a nice flow to it. The lamps bother me a bit, they just feel out of place that close to the table.
I like that you gave a touch of blue to the shadows but I still feel like the colors could pop a lot more on other places. All that gray shadow on the table just kills it (pun not intended). Speaking of that shadow, it is a bit distracting how it has a hard wavy edge at the top when there's nothing inside the frame to justify it.
Finally, the objects seem a bit floaty, I think you should add harder shadows at the contact areas.

HMs: Reading at work, Lofi
My pick for winner which doesn't matter anyway: Hungry Medusa

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 27, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok the winner is drumroll please......... lofi for a fresh and intriguing take on the prompt that i loved for its expressiveness and texture

honorable mentions to hungry medusa for excellent layering and color and readingatwork for overall technical excellence

so lofi, the prompt is up to you

critiques will come later. im not used to providing critique ha ha just kidding i hold a degree in art history im going to be brutal just kidding again but also ill get through them one at a time when i can

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Chernabog posted:

The idea is solid, having the candle (light source) behind the composition can get you some very interesting results. Unfortunately you didn't use that to your advantage. Here are some pointers to help you in the future:
-Use the light to your advantage to get interesting shadows and shapes. If you darkened the background the skull would instantly pop out. It could even be a circle gradient around the flame to suggest light and brightness.
-Watch your lines, they are mostly too thick and rough. If your drawing utensil is too thick then you need to either get a thinner one or draw bigger. I can't make out what the little shapes on the right are.
-Why is the skull sitting on a sphere? What is the sphere? Even if it is justified, the top of the skull has a tangent with the table which looks a bit funny.
-Be more playful with your compositions, usually you don't want things to sit right in the middle of the canvas.

Maybe this sounded a bit harsh but I can guarantee that if you follow these pointers it will improve vastly. I'd even encourage you to do it again.

Not harsh at all! :-) I appreciate the input and I love critique, it's part of growing. Thank you!

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Congrats, Lofi! :iia:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yay! I am the most goth! All is dust, etc.

Ohshit now I have responsibility! The next challenge then...

:siren: Prompt 3: Album Cover :siren:

Music and visual art go together real good. And album covers are/were a quick way to say 'hey, this is what this band does, it's super cool and you should buy (lol) this album'. So we're gonna make album covers!

Of course, I don't want you to be chained to a band's existing covers. To make sure of that, and because it amuses me, we're going to make album covers for a band that doesn't actually exist (yet). Using The first random generator I found, our soon-to-be-legend bands are:

Nitro Hitch With The Stately Macaroon
Adequate Revelation
Deserted Chronicles
Sub Peasant
Taxi Mandate

Not bad, generator! Pick one of them, think about what music they'd play, and make me an appropriate album cover. Signups close on 5th July, and the launch date is the 12th July, midnight GMT.

For bonus points, describe the album you're making the cover for.

lofi fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 28, 2019

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I'm in!

Do I have to pick my album now? If so, I'll take Adequate Revelation.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm happy for people to declare early or when they post their final piece, whatever works for you.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Adequate Revelation it is!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im in but ill need to think about it

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Congrats Lofi! I am also in and will also have to think about which band name I will chose.

Also people can expect my critiques over the weekend sometime.

Chernabog posted:

Very neat and clean, and nice job with the patterns and the perspective.
Observations:
-Some of the items are a bit wonky, especially the glass/ceramic things. The books look like they have weird proportions but maybe that's just because they are somewhat covered.
-Add thicker outlines to the front stuff to help separate it from the BG. You somewhat did that already but you can push it much further.
-Consider adding some cast shadows onto the sofa, floor and wall, it would also help separate the planes. Since the textures make it very busy I think anything that helps with the visual organization is worthwhile.

Thanks for the crit!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Going with Sub Peasant.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
hm, ok i'll try. In with Deserted Chronicals

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Since I barely made it last time, I volunteer to back up judge/critique this time.

Congrats. Lofi! I liked how stark yours was with the bright white and dark background. The palette knife strokes give it good energy.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks! High-contrast is totally my thing, lots of black and white comics growing up. :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

OK - this time I am starting early.

I also love the name "adequate revelation" but really they are all pretty great.

"Adequate Revelation" makes me think of this recent music video by Lennon Claypool Delirium "Satori"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG5zRsKMyBc

A little angry at myself for not doing the vanitas round but am excited about doing another album cover. I have done a few over the years. Some used. Some not.

Also - in regards to the girl who died. She was a new friend and out of state but gently caress heroin. That's four people I have known who have died from opiate abuse within five years, including an ex GF.

On a lighter note: Congrats lofi! Reminds me of little of a Francisco Goya painting.

EDIT:

OK - here is my submission.

Adequate Revelation
*paranoid post rock*
(sounds like Black Mother Super Rainbow meets Mogwai)

Made with Zbrush / Keyshot / Photoshop

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's a hell of a video, very cool!

Which pic are you entering? Only one entry per goon.