Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
A $300 M18 charger? Were you looking at one of the special ones that will do like 10 batteries at once?

The easy solution is like others said, just buy a tool+battery+charger bundle, or a battery+charger bundle if you can find one.

I don't think there's a specific M18 Fuel charger, they use the same charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It came with batteries but I don't need or want them and they don't sell any other chargers. Just wondering where I can buy a charger by itself. Amazon is giving me the "burn your house down with counterfeit hardware" vibes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

revmoo posted:

It came with batteries but I don't need or want them and they don't sell any other chargers. Just wondering where I can buy a charger by itself. Amazon is giving me the "burn your house down with counterfeit hardware" vibes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILWAUKEE-...SAAAOSw2FVbSnO9

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

craigslist

i've sold several extra chargers for under 20 bucks on CL

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you lived in AZ, you could come have one of mine :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you lived in AZ, you could come have one of mine :v:

Does anybody really "live" in Arizona? I thought it was more "existing" at this time of the year. :laugh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quote:

“BRAND NEW WITHOUT RETAIL PACKAGE”

Yeah.. this isn't helping the burn your house down counterfeit hardware vibes

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

revmoo posted:

Yeah.. this isn't helping the burn your house down counterfeit hardware vibes

There's a whole side business model in buying new tool kits and selling them piecemeal. The components are worth more separately than together. It's probably a safe bet, but don't do it if you're not comfortable.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, and I've bought most of my (fairly extensive) Milwaukee gear - batteries and chargers included - on eBay, and I have yet to get a fake.

That said, if spending more will make you feel safer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-and-M18-12-Volt-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Multi-Voltage-Rapid-Battery-Charger-48-59-1808/206211757

(I think someone posted a similar link earlier, but I noticed it was .ca, so I figured I'd throw up .com)

That's the charger that comes with the tools, and it's the same one in that ebay ad. Edit: actually, it's the newer rapid charge version, also seen here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-48-59-1808-M18-M12-Rapid-Charger/202710275753?hash=item2f327956a9:g:Zp8AAOSwRmNdCBoi

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 24, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The guy selling the charger on eBay probably doesn’t have retail packaging cause he bought a tool bundle but already had 4 chargers like I do.

If it was counterfeit they’d fake the cardboard too.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I picked up an Ozito electric chainsaw from an op shop today. Not sure if it was donated before or after it chewed on the owner.
The chain was so loose it could have been unhooked from the bar. It was also rusty and dry, and the lube tank was very empty.

I hit the chain with a lot of INOX-MX3, and adjusted it, and filled up the bar oil. I felt like gambling with my limbs so I dragged out a ~5cm thick cedar branch from the pile and tried it. It took about a minute to cut burn it's way though the wood. It would take me maybe 10-20 seconds to cut through the branch with a hand saw. Imagine someone was out there, using it with a blunt, wildly flapping chain. Holy hell some people are scary.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Actual bonafide chargers are reasonably cheap unless you're after a super fancy one, I doubt there is much if any counterfeit market on those.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I built myself a new bench and need something to hang tools, like peg board or slot board (aka slatwall). I don't like how the hooks have a tendency to fall out of peg board, is there something better?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Gorson posted:

I built myself a new bench and need something to hang tools, like peg board or slot board (aka slatwall). I don't like how the hooks have a tendency to fall out of peg board, is there something better?

Pegboard clips work ok. They’re included in some hook assortments, or you can buy them separate.

https://www.uglyducklinghouse.com/tip-how-to-secure-loose-pegboard-hooks/

If you’ve got access to a 3D printer, you can crank out like 20 an hour.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2042477

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Gorson posted:

wall control brand stuff with slight blemishes are sold super cheap on their outlet site:

cheappegboard.com

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gorson posted:

They make better peg systems that sort of lock them in better.

I got to use my chainsaw today and it was a huge pain in the dick to get it started and running and just makes me want the Ryobi 40v one.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

slidebite posted:

Actual bonafide chargers are reasonably cheap unless you're after a super fancy one, I doubt there is much if any counterfeit market on those.

https://www.amazon.com/Fhybat-Repla...=gateway&sr=8-6

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Are there any good car battery chargers that can maintain 30A steady or maintain 14Vwithout any fuckery and don’t cost 1500?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Frank Dillinger posted:

Are there any good car battery chargers that can maintain 30A steady or maintain 14Vwithout any fuckery and don’t cost 1500?

I can think of some gas powered ones that can do that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

They're not actually saying it's a Milwaukee branded charger though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

StormDrain posted:

I can think of some gas powered ones that can do that.

Gas powered battery chargers are probably going to be frowned upon in a shop environment though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Frank Dillinger posted:

You want a charger to output 14v @30A continuously?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

I think my old "BOSS" charger can do that, but it's not a great idea.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

cakesmith handyman posted:

It needs to maintain 14v on a car battery while control modules are being programmed, which means ignition on, lights on, for up to an hour and a half. During this time, battery voltage may not drop below 13v. I have a 25A charger, and that will get me ~12.5v or so.

There seems to be a large gap between consumer (5-25A) chargers and pro/shop level chargers. Consumer chargers also have a habit of not actually outputting the rates power, or deciding the battery is full and switching off.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sounds like a Mercedes?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Some electronics hacking and a stick welder!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Jumper cables and a donor car oustide the shop door. Which is what I meant earlier.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Electric motor rigged to an alternator and jump cables to the battery? Gotta be cheaper than $1500

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Your best bet is going to be an industrial charger of some kind, intended for a pallet jack or floor scrubber. Most are 24v+ but 12v ones are a thing. I've got an old one here that I put clamps on that comes in handy occasionally. Here's an example. https://www.evdrives.com/product_p/cgr-scp1240.htm Might also be able to find a marine charger that will do 30a+ to a single bank, but that'll be less portable.

If you aren't doing this every day, jumper cables are probably the easiest way to go.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Rewire a forklift, hail Satan.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
30A at 14 volts is a good amount of power. Not an extreme amount, but nearly 400 watts continuously is something that needs a bit more thought in its design to handle. Consumer stuff isn't going to add the heavier duty wiring, heat management, etc. to do that.

Why don't you just use a large car battery and charge it 'offline' disconnected from everything with any old dinky trickle charger? Are you really pulling 30 amps continuously at rest with just ignition and such on? That seems pretty extreme--if it's just some computer modules, lights, and a fuel pump pressurizing the lines, etc. I have a hard time seeing that all use ~400 watts of power.

edit: Also why not pull out fuses for things like headlamps? Let the computers think they're turned on but save yourself actually burning them out and wasting the power.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

mod sassinator posted:

30A at 14 volts is a good amount of power. Not an extreme amount, but nearly 400 watts continuously is something that needs a bit more thought in its design to handle. Consumer stuff isn't going to add the heavier duty wiring, heat management, etc. to do that.

Why don't you just use a large car battery and charge it 'offline' disconnected from everything with any old dinky trickle charger? Are you really pulling 30 amps continuously at rest with just ignition and such on? That seems pretty extreme--if it's just some computer modules, lights, and a fuel pump pressurizing the lines, etc. I have a hard time seeing that all use ~400 watts of power.

edit: Also why not pull out fuses for things like headlamps? Let the computers think they're turned on but save yourself actually burning them out and wasting the power.

Hard to believe, but yes, when KOEO (and AC/radio stuff is shut off) some cars will draw that. The 30 amp is fairly standard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

On a very modern car I'd expect it would poo poo the bed and complain if a module seemed to be there but unresponsive.

I'd go with a paralleled battery, possibly with an old dumb buzzbox charger or just a plain power supply you can set to maintain 14V. New chargers are made to prevent you from doing poo poo like this because they weren't built to support that kind of prolonged load.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah pull the fuses for the lights themselves if you can, not for the control modules. I actually have to do this on one of my cars because a relay on the BCM burned out and left the fog lights permanently on (ugh, they soldered the relays directly to the BCM PCB too so it's going to be a bitch to desolder and repair).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mod sassinator posted:

It's probably for the Mercedes suspension calibration, which uses (a) hydraulic pump(s?) to throw the car around in bizarre ways, that can hurt or mangal people in the vicinity, and I imagine draws quite a bit of power.

https://youtu.be/36UcvXlv5QE

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

It's probably for the Mercedes suspension calibration, which uses (a) hydraulic pump(s?) to throw the car around in bizarre ways, that can hurt or mangal people in the vicinity, and I imagine draws quite a bit of power.

https://youtu.be/36UcvXlv5QE

That video made me sick. The phone moved more than the car.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The rodeo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

sharkytm posted:

That video made me sick. The phone moved more than the car.

Thought it might be Google's video stability freaking out, but, nope, it's still shaky when the car isn't moving.

Still curious what a stabilized version would be like...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Video is speed up obviously. Car just goes around each point and cranks itself it up and lets it self down.

Funny thing is to command the car to do it on the DAS, it is actually called "rodeo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Frank Dillinger posted:

It needs to maintain 14v on a car battery while control modules are being programmed, which means ignition on, lights on, for up to an hour and a half. During this time, battery voltage may not drop below 13v. I have a 25A charger, and that will get me ~12.5v or so.

There seems to be a large gap between consumer (5-25A) chargers and pro/shop level chargers. Consumer chargers also have a habit of not actually outputting the rates power, or deciding the battery is full and switching off.

Lead acid battery charge current should be between 10 and 30 percent of the battery capacity. So a 25A charge would be suitable for a 85Ah or above capacity battery. A larger size battery for a diesel is ~70Ah while a smaller battery for a petrol car ~45Ah.

So for a car battery charger 25A is already pushing it and probably a lot of the claimed 25A chargers actually have a lower limit in the real world.

Looks like there are a lot of ham radio related power supplies that run at 13.8V and can supply lots of current and are not too expensive, perhaps an option.