Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Somehow the joke will buff out.

Want to make a prop bet on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

What an improper proposition! What would propel you to propose that?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Icon Of Sin posted:

What an improper proposition! What would propel you to propose that?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've had enough of you prop comics.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Uh, uh, JET!

Damnit, Paul.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

https://i.imgur.com/npG0Kty.mp4

Tesla's foray into farm equipment seems to be going well.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Amazon drone delivery program gone haywire, someone accidentally typed fire instead of free.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

TrueChaos posted:

Amazon drone delivery program gone haywire, someone accidentally typed fire instead of free.

whatever drugs you're on son, you might want to slow down, but also can I have some?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

He says it still moves under it's own power.

Not surprised. That generation of Mazda B-series was bulletproof, save for overheating issues. Teeny tiny radiator and heads that would warp if it got the slightest bit hot. Simplest thing I've ever worked on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfB7YWZ5j6E&t=215s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Thank god that dog was ok

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine being that stupid and still posting the video

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Imagine being that stupid and still posting the video

It'll be good for a lot of views.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Guess I'll just stare off into space instead of looking at what the gently caress I'm doing.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
That sill is almost as hosed up as homeboy's hair.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
What the hell was he lifting off of? The only pinch welds I've seen that do that are 15+ year old Chrysler minivans. But his lifting methods seem pretty questionable to start with.

Edit: watched more before/after. Dude should not be trusted with a floor jack.

Edit2: Just how many hockey pucks did he have stacked on the jack? I saw 2, and something else that fell off when the crunching happened. Lifting sideways with the rear end end on ramps was a terrible idea. Should have gone in from the front instead.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 27, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Let's ignore all the noises leading up to it as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ what an idiot, lets just randomly put the jack somewhere under the car without looking at all and hope it works!

Yeah it sucks dude, but you gotta get down on your knees or even flat on your belly and stick your loving head under there and LOOK for a good spot to put the jack, and then watch to make sure it goes where it's supposed to. You would think this would be common sense, but some people would just rather cut corners and hope it works I guess. That's quite a risk on a car like that and he paid the price. Idiot.

The noises gave him plenty of warning too....nope lets just keep at it I'm in a hurry!

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 27, 2019

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

whatever drugs you're on son, you might want to slow down, but also can I have some?

I was trying to make a funny pun (haywire) but apparently failed miserably. I may have been intoxicated at the time.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I lift my car without looking at this point. Like you'd use a tennis ball on a piece of string to know when to stop in a garage, I use the labels on the jack line up with the rocker panel to when to stop. I also use a wood block for better grip and load spreading.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So you actually do look, because you have a known reference point on the side of the car and you use that to align the jack correctly.

Looks like he just stuck it underneath, reached his hand in to try and guess if it was in the right spot, and went for it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

Guess I'll just stare off into space instead of looking at what the gently caress I'm doing.

PitViper posted:

What the hell was he lifting off of? The only pinch welds I've seen that do that are 15+ year old Chrysler minivans. But his lifting methods seem pretty questionable to start with.

Edit: watched more before/after. Dude should not be trusted with a floor jack.

Edit2: Just how many hockey pucks did he have stacked on the jack? I saw 2, and something else that fell off when the crunching happened. Lifting sideways with the rear end end on ramps was a terrible idea. Should have gone in from the front instead.

No poo poo. I've seen it elsewhere recently, so I knew what was happening, but watch the jack - it never rolls forward to compensate for the arc of the arm.
He should have jacked it from the suspension/crossmember or under the unibody rather than the pinch weld, especially since, as PitViper says, he had what looks like a hockey puck stacked on top of an actual pinch-weld puck. That's really where he went wrong. That puck slid instead of the jack moving.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the owner of that video is trying so hard to lean into it that he liked my comment dunking on him within 3 minutes of posting it

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You should be able to feel the right spot on the pinch welds because there's always two notches to show you just where to jack. However, I always just use the crossmember because it's easier and faster, and you don't have to worry about pinching the welds if you don't have an adapter with a slot in it for your jack.

I did finally buy these jack stand adapters to use with my stands, but I haven't tested them out yet.

*edit*
Just saw what everyone was talking about with the stacked pucks, he may have actually been in the right spot

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 27, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I just wish everyone could standardized and do the german way...keyed puck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I just wish everyone could standardized and do the german way...keyed puck.

They did. Cars used to have 2 slots in each bumper that the jack hooked in to.

Then stupid poo poo like "styling" and "safety standards" and "not getting crushed by a falling car" hosed everything up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While it is annoying to lift my BMW up, in that I have to drive up on blocks, jack from the central point and then put the jack stands at the jack points, I know it's not going to fall down because the pucks insert into the jack points and they aren't going to slip off.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Then stupid poo poo like "styling" and "safety standards" and "not getting crushed by a falling car" hosed everything up.

Bumper jacks were scary as hell. Not only does my '70 Cutlass have one, but rather than the slot in the bumper, the jack has a giant hook shaped to cradle the bumper itself. I used it once to change a flat, and bought a real jack to keep in the car afterward.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

I'm somewhat amazed I'm still alive after 30+ years becoming a teenager. Changing a tire on a '72 Olds 88 on a busy state road/(road side) while assembling a gm bumper jack from that era was not a good idea.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

that's the break's

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, and you hand to crank down on that tire iron for each "click".

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

OLDSMOBILE posted:

STAY CLEAR OF AND UNDER NO

CIRCUMSTANCES GET BENEATH CAR

WHILE IT IS SUPPORTED BY THE JACK

*limited-literacy person bumbling through the instructions on the side of the road*

"Stay...clear...of...and...under...no---" OK! :)
"circumaandn -- what's that word? ahh fuckit."
"get...beneath...car" OK! :)
"while...it is sup-por-ted by the jack." OK I've got this, right under the car while it's supported by the jack! :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
All the same we take our chances
Changing our tires
Tricked by circumstances!
Jack the car
Do not go under
The more that things change
The more they stay the same

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Lol the best thing about that dude failing at jacking his car is that he maintains that it was the jacks fault and that his hockey pucks slipped. Even bought new jack and jack stands because of his "bad" jack". Yeah keep telling yourself that mate.

Edit: Jesus, the moron used 2 hockey pucks to lift a car at the pinch welds without looking? He's lucky he didn't get hurt.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 28, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
He peeks the camera under the car for a second, you can see a perfect circle indent from the jack Puck straight through the carbon fiber lip. He never had it on the chassis. He's a gatdamn fool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Not my hand.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Harbor Freight drill bits, or one hell of a beefy drill when the bit got stuck?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

ah, an ambidextrous bit

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

that's the break's

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that. Now I’ve got to go check the one actually in the car. I wonder if it’s a typo just on the reproduction, or if they are copying a factory mistake? Mines a repro, so wouldn’t be informative.

Platystemon posted:

Not my hand.

Huh. I’ve never had one un-twist, just break. Bad heat treating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Huh. I’ve never had one un-twist, just break. Bad heat treating?

Yeah, a drill bit shouldn't be soft enough to twist like that.