Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kesper North posted:

Post your dreamboat showrunner to succeed Reed

and

Pitch what Adam Reed's next project should be.

I'll post mine, but I gotta think about it for a bit.

absolute wildest dreams? Hideo Kojima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Space burn

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Caught up on the last couple episodes and the show feels like it's back on its feet now.

lol at Brett showing up just to get smoked.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Space burn

The "space-" variants of classic Archer catchphrases is really pleasing me this season. I don't know why, because it's so dumb, but it just works well. I haven't been this tickled by such an unimportant drive-by joke since Dreamland's once-per-episode rimshot routine: silly joke told in the bar + a distant rimshot from the band which is on break + Ray yelling, "Stop it!!"

I wish there was a supercut of that somewhere.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I like that this season is doing individual episodes rather than a big overarching plot.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

I like that this season is doing individual episodes rather than a big overarching plot.

I hadn't even noticed that, but you're right. I was kind-of waiting for Barry 5 to show up, babbling on about revenge or something.

I wonder if all of the threads that appear to have been dropped will suddenly reappear and be tied up in the finale?

Hell, if there's a next season, will it be post-coma? Or maybe they'll do a ridiculous soap opera? I got hooked on General Hospital a few years ago because of this ridiculous thing called the "Nurse's Ball," and if that show is a thing that exists, Archer could have some fun in that genre.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Second good episode in a row, seems like the jokes are finally landing at least. SPACE PHRASING!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Nice, we get the Matt Berry and Tom Lennon cameos both in the same episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This one was.. pretty good? The quality is all over the place this season.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Post your dreamboat showrunner to succeed Reed

Won't happen, but Vince Gilligan.

quote:

Pitch what Adam Reed's next project should be.

Show running an Outer Limits reboot.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That was great. A throwback to the spyfi days, but in space.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Mr. Deadly's random gestures were great but yeah that was a solid episode all around.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I kind of just want this to be the show from now on.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ray got to actually do something!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

Ray got to actually do something!

And it was surprisingly effective. Even Cyril was useful, albeit accidentally (by becoming a cowering distraction).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

And it was surprisingly effective. Even Cyril was useful, albeit accidentally (by becoming a cowering distraction).

Suppressing his inner fire!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Atlas Hugged posted:

I kind of just want this to be the show from now on.

Same, it's basically just animated Red Dwarf now and I'm loving it.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
How has no one mentioned the mix tape yet?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

OneTruePecos posted:

How has no one mentioned the mix tape yet?

Because sometimes, we just wanna have fun!

I loved the cover of that thing. I'm sure it's a reference to something that I don't get.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The ending reminded me of Sealab 2021. Heads up, Kingston!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, what IS Mallory, now?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's correct! She is.

She just is.

(How great was the delivery of the line, "I hope that thing chews you like gum, you crazy bitch!"? I loved that.)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well it's a coma dream, she's the ships AI that has human properties because Archer's brain is 10 kinds of hosed up and he can't imagine her not drinking.

Really don't think too much about it and just enjoy the ride.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think she is supposed to be a Star Trek holodeck style hologram that can take physical shape.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

I think she is supposed to be a Star Trek holodeck style hologram that can take physical shape.

I'm surprised they didn't put an H on her head.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or an 'M'.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm guessing Mallory is more of a human upload than an AI. Aging is for rubes and that bitch Trudy Beakman.

In which I finally realize there's a James Bond reference in Mallory's name

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"M, for...'Mancy'?"

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

tarlibone posted:

That's correct! She is.

She just is.

(How great was the delivery of the line, "I hope that thing chews you like gum, you crazy bitch!"? I loved that.)

I think that she's a pure energy being that manifests as Archer's mother figure. Maybe she evolved past the need for physical form at some point in the past. Until they say otherwise I'm going with that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There an ep tonight?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Milo and POTUS posted:

There an ep tonight?

Next episode July 10. Shows tend not to air new material on holidays even though that's when most of us have more time to watch.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I liked the gag in episode 2 where Mallory energy-sphered through a wall and dropped her drink.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so the joke was that he found the cherries after they crashed ?

fakedit: oh look pam hit cheryl and called her "dicknuts" again. This is some good stuff.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They dialed the callbacks up to 1000 this season and it's easily the worst part. Space phrasing might be the lowest this show's ever been.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Milo and POTUS posted:

They dialed the callbacks up to 1000 this season and it's easily the worst part.

Yeah, callbacks work really well when they complement fresh jokes, but when you're just falling back on them all the time they're irritating. I think they're deliberately doing callbacks as a plot thing¹ - that it's Archer, in a coma, remembering his own past - but on an episode-by-episode basis it's really not working.

¹ There've been a lot of references to season one: Lana and Cyril dating; Archer and Pam being adversarial rather than friends; Ray being a one-note stereotype; Cristal; etc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't hate the callbacks because most of those jokes have had a long time on the bench. Like, "space phrasing" was really loving funny, but if they hadn't given "phrasing" a long break it wouldn't be as good.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

He mentions being a secret agent or a detective in this one as well, so it seems more likely the ‘reality seeping into his coma’ is happening.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't hate the callbacks because most of those jokes have had a long time on the bench. Like, "space phrasing" was really loving funny, but if they hadn't given "phrasing" a long break it wouldn't be as good.

Yeah, and it also reminds me of that episode where Archer kept lamenting that they'd given up "phrasing" because there were so many opportunities to put it back in the mix. These kinds of things are as close to breaking the fourth wall as you can get without doing it.

Red Oktober posted:

He mentions being a secret agent or a detective in this one as well, so it seems more likely the ‘reality seeping into his coma’ is happening.

I was wondering if he'd bring up pilot, too. Looked like he was about to, but then plot happened.

Milo and POTUS posted:

They dialed the callbacks up to 1000 this season and it's easily the worst part. Space phrasing might be the lowest this show's ever been.

I have to disagree. As Tiggum mentioned, the callbacks are probably not so much a "hey, remember this! wink wink nudge nudge" thing as they are a "this is happening because of the three-season-long framing device (Archer's coma)" thing. That at least provides a reason for all of it. And, I think it is plot related, because "space phrasing" is really lampshading the idea that something from real Archer's life is seeping into coma Archer's world, and it's just about as lazy as you'd expect it to be for Sterling Mallory Archer's imagination.

I'm enjoying the callbacks.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
space phrasing is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I believe I heard a couple of "Jesus Space-Christ!"'s in there somewhere.