Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

I find it hard to believe a makeup technician drew a line in the sand over artistic integrity.

He had multiple offers on the table and he could only commit to one so I imagine he just had to weigh which movie he thought would turn out the best. If I remember correctly the movie he ended up working on during that time was The Burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know you ain't trying to defend that makeup.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

doesn't bother me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I like it as a change of pace. I mean, it was a stylistic choice and I think it did work as like a more elegant, demonic version of the character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's better than Part 5-6's make up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I like it as a change of pace. I mean, it was a stylistic choice and I think it did work as like a more elegant, demonic version of the character.

It looks like a halloween mask.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It's better than Part 5-6's make up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

It looks like a halloween mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGz0wTHCHK4

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I think that New Nightmare is just kind of boring, but the entire third act is really bad. It completely fails to make good on any of the big ideas it presents, and degenerates into a generic latter-day NOES sequel finale.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So I just saw the new Child’s Play and actually really loved it for its playful tone and funhouse horror feel, and now I’m kinda looking around for my next fix along the same lines. Anyone have recommendations for good funhouse horror flicks?

Some I’ve seen and enjoyed along the same lines:

Krampus
Gremlins
Tremors
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Original Child’s Play series

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bert of the Forest posted:

So I just saw the new Child’s Play and actually really loved it for its playful tone and funhouse horror feel, and now I’m kinda looking around for my next fix along the same lines. Anyone have recommendations for good funhouse horror flicks?

Krampus
Gremlins
Tremors

If you liked Krampus you should check out Trick R' Treat. VHS2 is a pretty overall gonzo horror film, too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Krampus
Gremlins
Tremors

Return of the Living Dead
Dead Alive
From Beyond
The Funhouse

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

New Nightmare is desperately boring, has the lowest kill count in the franchise, and has the worst Freddy makeup outside of the tv series. Big thumbs down from me. I wanted a campy movie about the filming of a new NOES movie turning into a bloodbath as Freddy becomes real and starts killing off the cast and crew. Not Heather Langenkamp looking at her stupid kid worriedly for 90 minutes.

This is pretty unfair. The makeup on the tv show Freddy's Nightmares was really high quality, and the sets looked pretty detailed/abstract while in Freddy's dream world scenes.

Me and my roommate have been rewatching the series since he's never seen it. The second episode has the female protagonist of Friday the 13th part 7 as the 2nd half lead (most episodes were split into two halves, usually because the protagonist from the first half doesn't make it and Freddy turns his attention to someone else in the second half).

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Krampus
Gremlins
Tremors

Theatre of Blood
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Popcorn
Eight Legged Freaks
Detention

And of course Gremlins and Tremors both have good sequels if you haven't seen them (but stop at Tremors 2).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you stop at Tremors 2 you miss out on the rear end Blasters though.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Would Night of the Comet fall under this umbrella? The fun parts are fun but the slow parts are slow

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SLiTHER
The Blob 88
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lurdiak posted:

The make-up is fine but holy poo poo do I hate that stupid knife hand where you can see his bones and there are knives on the ends of the bones and... are they meant to be sprouting from his fingers, are they somebody else's bones? The gently caress?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why do you keep typing it out this way?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why do you keep typing it out this way?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I feel like Critters fits into the "funhouse" category.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Alehkhs posted:

I feel like Critters fits into the "funhouse" category.

If Critters does, then so does Ghoulies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

But what if they're like Munchies!?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

But what if they're like Munchies!?

I admit to never seeing that one. But since it's up on TubiTV, time to go take care of that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

I admit to never seeing that one. But since it's up on TubiTV, time to go take care of that.

I was doing a thing, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IATW9Ay-wws

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Friday the 13th novelizations. I guess I’m mainly surprised that someone in this thread hasn’t merged those in with the movies to form a full franchise ranking. Quick, which one of the two novelizations of Part 3 is the best?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Munchies is awful but I used to have it on vhs and watched the poo poo out of it when I was a kid so it holds a special place in my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze03R1UDQzk

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Critters is good.

Critters 2: The Main Course is great

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

This is pretty unfair. The makeup on the tv show Freddy's Nightmares was really high quality, and the sets looked pretty detailed/abstract while in Freddy's dream world scenes.

Me and my roommate have been rewatching the series since he's never seen it. The second episode has the female protagonist of Friday the 13th part 7 as the 2nd half lead (most episodes were split into two halves, usually because the protagonist from the first half doesn't make it and Freddy turns his attention to someone else in the second half).

I find that show's use of dream logic utterly frustrating. Like I get it, dreams are Freddy's thing, but you never have any idea what's actually happening and neither do the characters, which is not a problem in any of the NOES movies other than maybe Freddy's Dead.

But on the subject of the makeup, I think the show just knew how to light it well. Freddy is always partially obscured.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it's the time of year where i watch Occult and post about how hard Occult rules

it loving owns

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Reading the early (mostly negative) reviews of Us here set my expectations low and when I finally got to see it last week, I loved the poo poo out of it.

Watched it again the next day and it was just as good catching all the little things (so many rabbits).

Similarly I got to rewatch Halloween 18 the other night and enjoyed it much more than when I saw it a the theatre and my expectations were sky high.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like some people just can't look past what they think of as "plot holes" to appreciate creative film-making.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like some people just can't look past what they think of as "plot holes" to appreciate creative film-making.

There's also those claiming plot holes but really should be translated to "I have to have everything explained in excruciating detail because I have zero mental flexibility to handle anything presented remotely vague or in a creative manner and would rather insist the film is flawed than admit I'm incapable of getting the point/allegory/whatnot." I find official critics particularly guilty of this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Friday the 13th novelizations. I guess I’m mainly surprised that someone in this thread hasn’t merged those in with the movies to form a full franchise ranking. Quick, which one of the two novelizations of Part 3 is the best?

I've been interested in getting them for a few years now, but they're incredibly expensive. I wish there was a digital version I could put on a kindle so I could read them.

There's also a spin-off Friday the 13th novel series that looks like Goosebumps but with Jason. They seem less good, but still kinda fun.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Franchescanado posted:

I've been interested in getting them for a few years now, but they're incredibly expensive. I wish there was a digital version I could put on a kindle so I could read them.

There's also a spin-off Friday the 13th novel series that looks like Goosebumps but with Jason. They seem less good, but still kinda fun.

Jason you idiot, the bait is supposed to go into the water and you are supposed to be in the boat!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Franchescanado posted:

I had this entire four-book series when it came out over twenty years ago. I wouldn't call it Goosebumps though, it's actually pretty graphic for a YA series. And they go with the idea that whoever finds the mask is then possessed by Jason. Whereas the Nightmare on Elm Street books that came out around the same time went with mysterious murders happening and then at the end of each one the murderer would be revealed as being possessed by Freddy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

Ghoulies II is literally set in a funhouse. It rules.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

How did they get the mask in the logo SO WRONG?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Splint Chesthair posted:

How did they get the mask in the logo SO WRONG?

It's especially weird because the cover art and the descriptions in the books get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

The bad book podcast I Don’t Even Own a Television covered one of these recently and it sounded crazy. There’s a part where a skeleton arm randomly pops out of a grave to attack a teen.

edit: in the show they mention how expensive they are and talk about how some of them are up on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/FridayThe13thMothersDay/page/n2

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 27, 2019