Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
I'm looking for a cover (or maybe a sample) of Lynn Anderson's "Rose Garden" that I vaguely remember having on a mix tape in the late 80s or early 90s. It was very synthy. For some reason I keep thinking of Love and Rockets but Google hasn't been much help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kings Beard
Apr 21, 2012

whoda thunkit posted:

I'm looking for a cover (or maybe a sample) of Lynn Anderson's "Rose Garden" that I vaguely remember having on a mix tape in the late 80s or early 90s. It was very synthy. For some reason I keep thinking of Love and Rockets but Google hasn't been much help.

Possibly
Kon Kan - I Beg Your Pardon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAw-YYKkqWE

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
YES! Thank you, now my spirit can rest.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
am I crazy or does Childish Gambino's Redbone sample another song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp7eSUU9oy8

The oldschool chime that kicks it off

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

Wikipedia says it's not a sample but it uses the melody from "Portrait of Tracy" by Jaco Pastorius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsZ_1mPOuyk

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Alan Smithee posted:

According to https://www.whosampled.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb-Qs2QHz_Y

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This is driving me crazy. I thought I remembered the title after a few hours, but can't find it on Google.

It's a late 1980s song by a British group. Maybe even early 1990s. I wanted to think that "living in a polar world" was the chorus, but that's not turning up anything. I think "polar" might be in there.

The background features mostly nonsense chanting.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Maybe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXnulANF8g

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I heard this song at the gym. It had sort of a proto-punk Radio Birdman kind of sound, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was recently recorded. I'm 90% sure that I'm right about these lyrics, which should be enough for Google but I'm coming up empty.

"In the summertime, when I wanted you"
"In the summertime, when I needed more"

Like I said, should be enough, but I can't find it. I guess I could have just really misheard the lyrics, or it could be a very little-known song, but it was on at the gym so I'd think there's a certain minimum amount of exposure you need before you get playtime in a public place like that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Yes, thank you.

I see my memory of the lyrics was just a bit off.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Holy crap I've always thought this was a Paul Simon song for some reason though now that I actually listened to it it doesn't sound like him at all

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a Mozart piece that has a piano and clarinet duet that isn't the K622. My girlfriend played it with an elderly neighbour when she was growing up. He died and she lost the sheet music and can't remember what the song is at all. She has looked high and low through youtubes of Mozart music and she's never been able to find it. She told me this story and she was almost crying. I'd really love to be able to find it for her, but she is a smart and resourceful woman and if she couldn't find it then I don't know how I will. We tried all those Name that tune Apps but none of them had any good results. Any ideas music goons? Thanks.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm terrible at remembering classical music titles, and have no idea how to go about looking them up, so I was wondering if one of you could tell me what song is playing in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHiqsrYkcuk&t=500s

Starts at 7:33, but is most clear at around 8:20. It's been stuck in my head for a week now, and I have to hear the full thing!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I believe that's from Beethoven's 7th?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7F4z8FV6ME
I fully reserve the right to edit this post once I actually listen to it again and realise I'm wrong :v:

Edit: nah, that's a match lol, genuinely surprised I got that on the first try

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 31, 2019

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

That's the one! Thanks a bunch, I had been going through youtube for "famous classical music" and hadn't had any luck lol. Awesome that you got it first try.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Just a quick one, because Shazam and Google are both letting me down.

Industrial/Metal track, the Mix CD that I found it on is no later than 2004, the only lyrics I can make out are "shark with a spoon" and "disappears like (or with) a yellow streak" then a refrain that sounds like "Hiiiiiiiiiigh Velocity"

EDIT - Never mind, DuckDuckGo was my friend, it was Animosity by Ministry.

High Velocity, lol.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 2, 2019

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Looking for a video from a few years back. It's Canadian, I think shot in Toronto but I'm not sure. The music is from some electronic artist and the video stars two dudes, one Indian and the other I think Korean, doing different dances. One part has the Indian dude walking into a room to see the Korean dude thrusting in his boxers, and the Indian dude nods approvingly.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I heard a song at walmart, it sounded like Edge of a Broken Heart by Vixen but different. The only lyrics I can recall were something like "blame it on my last broken heart for you". It had a very similar rhythme, slightly slower than Edge of a Broken Heart, but I think it was a different glam metal song. If anything, I think it sounded a little like Dolly Parton singing, the singer just sounded more western than metal, but I distinctly remember an electric guitar which I don't believe Dolly has ever used.

Is this actually a song or did I simply hear Vixen's Edge of a Broken Heart over Walmart's lovely speakers and not recognize the song?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm trying to find a metal-adjacent album that I may or may not have completely dreamed up. If I remember right, it's a solo work or spinoff from a female member of a metal band that was probably released in the late 90's or very early 2000's (I want to say it's a Liv Kristine type vocalist, maybe). The album itself was more moody, meditative, ambient and melancholy, not metal at all. The cover was very whitish yellow/orange with a hazy or foggy sunrise. I was listening to a lot of bands like Tristania, Katatonia, The Gathering, Opeth, etc. at the time, so it's probably someone who ran in those circles.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
It's a long shot but I think the cover of Melissa auf der Maur's solo album was orange.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Pilchenstein posted:

It's a long shot but I think the cover of Melissa auf der Maur's solo album was orange.

Nah, def not that. It was someone involved, in some capacity, in a heavier metal or goth metal outfit or something like that.

The album cover was something pretty close to this

I was starting to listen to bands like Amber Asylum, Aix Em Clemm, and Labradford, and some moody folk poo poo around that time too, so maybe it's got that kind of feel, musically. I remember ethereal singing and clean, reverby guitar and not much else.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 4, 2019

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

1970s/80s song, vocal was Bob Seger-ish sounding. May in fact be something of his.

I don't recall a single lyric, but there's a guitar line underneath that sounded to me like Pink Floyd's Fearless. It was on regular ol' radio, so it won't be anything really obscure.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There was a 007 or 007-inspired song that had "kiss kiss bang bang" as part of the chorus, but it wasn't the Shirley Bassey song. It was relatively recent and sounded like rock. Does anyone know?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So I can only really describe this song by the music video and that I first saw it probably 8 or so years ago, memory is somewhat fuzzy. It's an animated music video, starts off in a bar or something showcasing about three guys and then a lady with a spider pendant. The guys all end up doing a drag race, there's a guy who shoots bats out of his exhaust pipes, another guy with a razor blade shooting drag racer who ends up taking out the other drivers, then the lady with the spider pendant turns into a giant spider and starts chasing them, and then they all hop into the razor blade guy's car and then they drive off a cliff and pop parachutes and as they're drifting down the spider lady starts fading in at the bottom of the cliff.

It sounds like dreaming when I'm actually typing it out but I'm pretty sure the video actually exists

E: This has been bugging me since yesterday and just after posting I was able to remember just enough of the lyrics to find it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_ubiAzoSk

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 9, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

What's that song with a sample that goes something like "Every night when I go to bed, my dreams are going wild. And they die right here, every morning"

Wanna say it's like ~20 years old and hip hop instrumental flavored but it could be anything

Google is being a piece of poo poo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was at a party last night where people were feeding music videos to the chromecast. There was a song I enjoyed but literally the only thing I can use to describe it is that there was a lot of close ups of the young black singer with awesome red and blue contacts in her eyes. Video seemed to be recent but I don’t even know what genre to put it in. Pop or r&b? I don’t really keep up with music these days but I want to track this one down. I’ve asked everyone I knew at the party but they claim ignorance so idk. Halp? :q:

E: never mind, some permutation of google search terms tells me this is Holy Terrain by KFA Twigs

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 15, 2019

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Not a song, but artists. Can anyone identify the name of these two guys?

It’s the Dazz Band. Joystick.

Not worried about the drummer.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Cross-posting from the white whale thread:

#1: Random album I found recently

A few months ago I stumbled upon an album on YouTube from some obscure band. I added it to a playlist and then it was de-listed a few days later and I don't remember the name of it. I can't really describe musical genres, but it was upbeat music with guitars and synths. I want to say the album art had some sort of beige cylinder pattern with the title written on it, kind of like this maybe?

One of the songs had the lyrics "but we're not to blame, not to bla-a-ame" followed by a synth solo that sounded exactly like this.

#2: Random instrumental music from my childhood

I remember hearing a particular piece of music when I was about 8 years old, and I know I haven't heard it since then but I still somehow remember almost all of it. It was an instrumental track played on guitar and flute (so I can't search for lyrics), and it basically sounded like this:

(mp3 version)

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Kind of a longshot but maybe someone here can help me out. Heard a song a few weeks back on the radio that popped back into my head and I can't find it.

The radio station was one of those "top songs of the last 50 years" types so I'm reasonably sure it was popular. Singer was female, and the song had a swing vibe to it. Kinda upbeat, maybe a little melancholy/dreamy. I can't remember enough of the melody or any of the lyrics but what I do remember is the gist of it.

Song was basically the singer telling her lover she will be leaving in a year (or some other amount of time), but that in the meantime they can have lots of fun and she'll give him all her love until then. The impression was that she does this with everyone and that there was no hard feelings. At least that was the gist of the chorus. I remember there also being some mention of her father being the one to give her the advice of only staying with a man for a short time. The chorus was super catchy and I remember the ride cymbal being high in the mix.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Edit: found it 5 minutes after posting: Gale Garnett - We'll Sing in the Sunshine

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 19, 2019

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Okay so there's this song lyric stuck in my head, something like "rode a white horse on a (something) rode to get to you". The song was pretty popular, and I remember the band got quite a bit of ~indie darlings~ hype, back in the mid-2000s. My mind keeps pulling up Okkervil River, but that's not them.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Crosspost from GBS white whale thread: A friend of mine has an unidentifiable earworm, and the most significant he can recall is that it's a hard rock/modern metal song where the chorus tune is nearly identical to that of "Bad Romance." I can vaguely recall listening to a song like that as well, so I know he's not imagining it. The other things he can remember are that the singer sounded a bit whiny, and he thinks the band usually plays much heavier songs than the one stuck in his head. He might've heard it on the radio a couple of years back (central West Virginia), but he's not certain, and he thinks it might've been about a girl or a break-up but he's also not sure of that, either.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

Okay so there's this song lyric stuck in my head, something like "rode a white horse on a (something) rode to get to you". The song was pretty popular, and I remember the band got quite a bit of ~indie darlings~ hype, back in the mid-2000s. My mind keeps pulling up Okkervil River, but that's not them.

Maybe Zebra by Beach House? Theres a "white horse" in the chorus, at least, and they fit the profile otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-wfb25WmV4

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, im trying to remember a birthday-themed song that I remember from about 10+ years ago (~2007). It kind of has a sad rock feel to it, I thought it was the Arctic Monkeys but apparently it's not. I can't for the life of me find it online, but the thing is I remember most of the lyrics. I'm pretty sure it was just called "birthday song"

It's your birthday how do you feel?
Did it live up to your ideals
And are you getting curious to find out what next year will reveal

For today its time to review
How much you changed last year and you grew
and as we raise a glass in toast to your health this day is for you

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Not a song question but an instrument question.

How do they make the chime-ish sounding stuff in the background? Is keyboard or just completely synthetic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAOXgNoX-8&t=74s

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Eschenique posted:

Not a song question but an instrument question.

How do they make the chime-ish sounding stuff in the background? Is keyboard or just completely synthetic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAOXgNoX-8&t=74s

The part where your video starts? Sounds kind of like a harpsicord (probably a sample not a real one), or a synth patch that sounds like a harpsichord, mixed with some synth strings.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Sexy Randal posted:

The part where your video starts? Sounds kind of like a harpsicord (probably a sample not a real one), or a synth patch that sounds like a harpsichord, mixed with some synth strings.

Yes that's probably it. I think that shows up every now and then when stuff needs to sound gothic but I always wondered how they made it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They did record that with an orchestra, I reckon if they wanted a real harpsichord, they had every opportunity to get one.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Looking for a relatively popular black and white music video from the 90's. Fast rocking electronic music with an electric guitar. One guy is running around at the beach. Serious mood though. Lyrics are something like "do me a favour and turn up the bass" or something. This is a bad description but maybe I'm lucky. Not "Arctic Monkeys" or something. Should be in the best 100 videos of the 90's but I guess it isn't. Thank you.

e: Found it. Bad description indeed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFKbd0LraY

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 26, 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Long shot: Shin Jung Hyeon did a simplified cover of his own song 빗속의 여인 (Lady in the Rain) in the late 2000s that just featured him, his guitar and I think a drummer. It was on Youtube but got taken down. I can't find that version, which is way better than the original from the 60s. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: https://youtu.be/-dqYgZWd_K4

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
A song, probably a metal song, that I heard in the 90s opened with the "I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor" dialogue from Apocalypse Now. Can't spot anything I recognise on whosampled.