Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

I've been interested in getting them for a few years now, but they're incredibly expensive. I wish there was a digital version I could put on a kindle so I could read them.

There's also a spin-off Friday the 13th novel series that looks like Goosebumps but with Jason. They seem less good, but still kinda fun.

On Youtube, there's The 80's Slasher Librarian who does readings of the various books. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuURU23bMiyKVgZkc8tWOHw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

On Youtube, there's The 80's Slasher Librarian who does readings of the various books. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuURU23bMiyKVgZkc8tWOHw

oh gently caress yeah

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

M_Sinistrari posted:

COOL CORN posted:

oh gently caress yeah

Sick.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Subscribed.

:five:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The second one was pretty depressing to me when I was younger. A mentally challenged man severely abused by everyone in his life finds the mask and ends up killing his tormentors, but cries every time and then can’t understand why the heroes are attacking him and begs for his life before being killed himself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

lol what a time to be alive

Anyway, found out that the theater about 10 minutes from me is showing Midsommar over the holiday weekend which is a pleasant surprise.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The second one was pretty depressing to me when I was younger. A mentally challenged man severely abused by everyone in his life finds the mask and ends up killing his tormentors, but cries every time and then can’t understand why the heroes are attacking him and begs for his life before being killed himself.

Goddamn

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That almost sounds kinda like what they were going for in Part V.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My theater is getting Midsommar a week late, so everyone please be cautious and considerate with regards to spoilers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm hoping for something a little less like The Editor and a little more on the side of like Cold Hell, which was definitely giallo influenced but doesn't just come across as a pastiche.

My take on why Knife + Heart works: it’s a neo-giallo that puts character and setting first and giallo style/tropes second

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

New Nightmare is desperately boring, has the lowest kill count in the franchise, and has the worst Freddy makeup outside of the tv series. Big thumbs down from me. I wanted a campy movie about the filming of a new NOES movie turning into a bloodbath as Freddy becomes real and starts killing off the cast and crew. Not Heather Langenkamp looking at her stupid kid worriedly for 90 minutes.

New Nightmare being a great movie aside, you’re incorrect about the kill count. Dream Child and Freddy’s Dead have three kills each, New Nightmare is tied with the original Nightmare with four.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

holy poo poo Tokyo Gore Police makes Machine Girl look mild that movie is just balls to the wall insanity I love it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why does Shout Factory always gently caress me over by releasing some of my most highly anticipated releases like right at the very end of October or the beginning of November. Release all your October stuff in time for people to watch them for Halloween you jerks!

Anyway they're doing The Blob '88 and The Devil Rides Out, both released on October 29th.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Why does Shout Factory always gently caress me over by releasing some of my most highly anticipated releases like right at the very end of October or the beginning of November. Release all your October stuff in time for people to watch them for Halloween you jerks!

Anyway they're doing The Blob '88 and The Devil Rides Out, both released on October 29th.

Ooo i saw The Blob news but not the Devil Rides Out news, both great movies.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Thelma is such a great movie. If you haven't watched it yet rent it or watch it on Hulu ASAP.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Ugh all these people saying Us is just too artistic for some people. Its already been discussed at length, but the problem is that the film overexplains whats going on, and whats going on doesnt make any sense. No its not unreluable narrator because we're shown a lot of things directly connecting in the way its explained but it makes no sense. The doppledongers are shown mimicking what their counterparts do. Okay. What happens when someone gets into a car? Hoe are they all at a vacation spot? Its not some frver dream metaphor, it's an illogical premise. Idgaf why the parents are doing what theyre doing in Mom and Dad, but if it was explained and didn't make sense, that would suck.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 27, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gejimayu posted:

Ugh all these people saying Us is just too artistic for some people. Its already been discussed at length, but the problem is that the film overexplains whats going on, and whats going on doesnt make any sense. No its not unreluable narrator because we're shown a lot of things directly connecting in the way its explained but it makes no sense. The doppledongers are shown mimicking what their counterparts do. Okay. What happens when someone gets into a car? Hoe are they all at a vacation spot? Its not some frver dream metaphor, it's an illogical premise. Idgaf why the parents are doing what theyre doing in Mom and Dad, but if it was explained and didn't make sense, that would suck.

It shows what happens when they get in vehicles, there’s a bunch of people there who are on a roller coaster. I’m sorry you didn’t pay attention to the movie

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 27, 2019

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Theres a bunch of people going through the motions of being on a rollercoaster. I mean what happens when the people go home? We see facsimiles of all the people at the boardwalk, but they cant all be from close to the boardwalk, so what happens when one of them is visiting from out of state and flies home? How did they all get there?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 27, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who gives a poo poo

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Like I said, once they started overexplaining things and those things didn't make sense it was distracting. It would have been a lot better without all that dumb exposition.

Edit: when theres mystery behind a supernatural occurrence, im happy to speculate if its x y or z, but as soon as the film tells me its x, and x has too many inconsistencies it takes me out of it. Make up all the poo poo you want for your story but as a writer you have to have internal consistency. I saw it twice, knowing what happens and just accepting it made the second viewing better, but dont give me a mystery to think about if you dont want me to take it seriously.

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 27, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

holy poo poo Tokyo Gore Police makes Machine Girl look mild that movie is just balls to the wall insanity I love it

Tokyo Gore Police is one of the greats, into

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gejimayu posted:

Like I said, once they started overexplaining things and those things didn't make sense it was distracting. It would have been a lot better without all that dumb exposition.

Edit: when theres mystery behind a supernatural occurrence, im happy to speculate if its x y or z, but as soon as the film tells me its x, and x has too many inconsistencies it takes me out of it. Make up all the poo poo you want for your story but as a writer you have to have internal consistency. I saw it twice, knowing what happens and just accepting it made the second viewing better, but dont give me a mystery to think about if you dont want me to take it seriously.

it's supposed to be weird and unknowable.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gejimayu posted:

Theres a bunch of people going through the motions of being on a rollercoaster. I mean what happens when the people go home? We see facsimiles of all the people at the boardwalk, but they cant all be from close to the boardwalk, so what happens when one of them is visiting from out of state and flies home? How did they all get there?

They hit a wall and keep walking in place. Or they sit in a chair for 14 hours. They literally show these things.

edit: Also, it's heavily implied that these doppelgangers are only linked to people in America, possibly specific to the region they are in.

So there's (probably) a facility in the Northeast, a facility in the Southeast, a facility in X region, a facility in Y region. I don't remember there being anything to contextualize that there are facilities outside of North America.

They also show that doppelgangers don't only want to kill their twin. That's just the one they give the highest priority to. The main family attacks Tim Heidecker's family. So if someone is out of town, too far away from their doppelganger, they still have literally thousands to worry about.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 27, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

it's supposed to be weird and unknowable.

honestly i do see the complaint because if they wanted it to be weird and unknowable i think they should've left it more vague, which would also cut down on the awkward exposition dump at the end. it's certainly not enough to ruin the movie for me, but it is enough to slot it a notch below Get Out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The rabbits don’t eat or poop because they’re tethered to hamburgers and corn dogs and stuff and corn dogs never poop.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

The rabbits don’t eat or poop because they’re tethered to hamburgers and corn dogs and stuff and corn dogs never poop.

drat I really need to see this movie

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Us just came out on Bluray last week, would you guys mind slapping some spoiler tags on from here-on out? :shobon:

When I watch it I'll try not to think about rabbits or scientists.

vvv Many thanks! Sorry for being a poser lurker who watches movies late. vvv

Come And See fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 27, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Come And See posted:

Us just came out on Bluray last week, would you guys mind slapping some spoiler tags on from here-on out? :shobon:

Yes. Sorry.

edit: I edited posts to hide them on this page. I don't have time to go back further.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 27, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

You know you just cursed into existence someone creating a picture of a corn dog pooping.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

You know you just cursed into existence someone creating a picture of a corn dog pooping.

Corn dogs are a cursed food, so a pooping corn dog isn't going to actually make them worse

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Come And See posted:

vvv Many thanks! Sorry for being a poser lurker who watches movies late. vvv

one of those is literally the first shot in the entire film so don't worry too much

e: or maybe second I can't remember, it's right at the very beginning though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the opening titles.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yeah, they tried to make up for it with the third one that takes place at a carnival and Jason's mask possesses a violent alcoholic carnie that hates kids breaking the rules.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

But it's dumb though?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t give a poo poo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat, owned

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kvlt! posted:

I first saw Tokyo Gore Police when I was like 18 and had pretty much the exact reaction you did haha

I should rewatch it. It's been a few years since I last saw it. Movie rules.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Knife + Heart is the bee's knees.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

This should be interesting. The producers behind the documentary Horror Noire are going to team up with Shudder again to do a documentary on Queer Horror Cinema.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3569709/producers-horror-noire-re-team-shudder-upcoming-queer-horror-documentary/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

This should be interesting. The producers behind the documentary Horror Noire are going to team up with Shudder again to do a documentary on Queer Horror Cinema.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3569709/producers-horror-noire-re-team-shudder-upcoming-queer-horror-documentary/

gently caress yes. That's awesome