Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The fights are the one thing that can benefit from the cg. It's a lot easier to capture the choreography of the fight with cheap cg than cheap traditional animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I remember seeing the CG parts in Baki and thinking "I can understand why they did this, but I still kind of wish they hadn't."

I'm pretty much convinced the Kengan anime won't be GOOD, so the question is whether or not it will be good ENOUGH. The casting has been good, so that's one thing that might get me to at least listen to the episodes in the background.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm gonna give it a shot, at least. My hopes aren't high but I've seen things with really, really ugly trailers that turned out to be okay.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter
Not going to lie, invasion of the body snatchers is an interesting direction to take a battle series. How long until we have to question which of the 13 fighters is actually who they say they are?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No need to worry, Maniac Cop is on the case.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man this is getting really intriguing, that revelation caught me off guard, and I'll have to reread the previous chapter to see if there's anything I missed.

I'm really digging this mystery.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kazzerino become friends with idemitsu is great

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Woah dang, that's actually a pretty interesting twist!

Also the board meeting scene was really fun, and has me looking forward to the CEOs hanging out trying to cooperate during the tournament :allears:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i hope gaoh wears that apron to his fight

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Ooooo. Leave it to Kengan to always surprise us. Looks like Chiba's expertise might come into play here.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That's an incredibly interesting twist.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i'm so ready for the twist to be that Ohma's actually alive and he's the one Akoya saw, but we're supposed to think he's Gaoh. It'd be a really funny switcheroo

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I hope this is the first sign of the series going full Baki and there is some kind of Mad Scientist that is cloning fighters in his quest to create ultimate fighting machine or something. :black101:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 27, 2019

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Given what Idemitsu said about looking at eyes and those panels kind of emphasizing it, almost seems likely

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope we get to see Gensai fight a dinosaur before this manga is over

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lt. Lizard posted:

I hope this is the first sing of the series going full Baki and there is some kind of Mad Scientist that is cloning fighters in his quest to create ultimate fighting machine or something. :black101:

So Dead or Alive movie version?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I hope we get to see Gensai fight a dinosaur before this manga is over

"I, Kuroki, am still green' right after he chops the horn off a triceratops.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no taste? koga, you idiot.

also, everyone in the kengan association deeply respects kazzy's talents, which owns.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So a third organization making a move on both is my bet. Kengan + Purg team up vs unknown assholes?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

AtomikKrab posted:

So a third organization making a move on both is my bet. Kengan + Purg team up vs unknown assholes?

Could be those Worm guys.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I like that Toyoda isn't necessarily the bad guy in the story. It seems like the Worm is making their move and will be most likely be trying to seize control of the winning organization via infiltration, assassination, and subterfuge, which will turn them from a shadowy secret organization into an economic superpower with heavy control over Japan's economy. It could also be something a bit more sinister with them wanting to destabilize the economy and trying to turn Japan into one big version of the inside. I'm incredibly excited to see how this all plays out.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah I get the feeling that having kengan vs purgatory being a thing right from the start is just a prelude to the main event.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

klapman posted:

i'm so ready for the twist to be that Ohma's actually alive and he's the one Akoya saw, but we're supposed to think he's Gaoh. It'd be a really funny switcheroo

between this and the way people keep failing to talk to Koga/Ryuki about Ohma, I went back and checked, and technically speaking no one has ever actually said Ohma is dead. Every single reference is either implied or in flowery language (he "went into a long slumber" and "is not with us anymore", Kazuo thinks about "visiting Ohma" over an image of an unlabeled stone with flowers in front of it, etc.). So while he is absolutely dead, technically speaking if it turns out he's in a coma somewhere and they just unrelatedly built a monument to him on the tournament island, it wouldn't actually contradict anything.

So that's what I'm pulling for!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Why do you think Kenzo went to recruit Bando at the end of Ashura? Ohma 2 is about to make his debut

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Two new Danberu: https://mangadex.org/title/19600/danberu-nan-kiro-moteru

In these chapters: They put Machio into Virtua Fighter... and he looks better than the Kengan anime

Also we learn about yakuza films and the importance of diet for sick abs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is very gay

https://mangadex.org/chapter/655609/1

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

There is nothing gay about two young guys going out on a date shopping, playing games, eating together and blushing.
Heck, I bet he won that teddy bear for him from the crane game just to prove he has better Eye–hand coordination.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That was very good and very gay. Only a blind chance saved the Koyo Academy group secretary from dying of blood loss.

Also nice to see that our sumo boy just doesn't give a gently caress anymore and uses throws in his "sumo".

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

it was nice of gaoh to buy kaede a gift

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Its fine.

So now that the competition is known theres a kengan tournament by the companies to pick who gets to fight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why the heck is Setsuna out in Death Valley?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That was an extremely cute first date :3:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Why the heck is Setsuna out in Death Valley?

its goku

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Top-notch dating, right up there with Horimiya. I approve.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
just some bros hangin out

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dumbell is looking to be at least 5 times better animated than Kengan Asura

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Dumbell is looking to be at least 5 times better animated than Kengan Asura

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1146479885277421569

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

hey i was at the AX showing of episodes 8 and 9 (it might have been 7 and 8) of the anime and i have Thoughts that i'll type out before i pass out from exhaustion

the two episodes were the Cosmo/Adam Dudley fight and the Haru/The loving Cop fight

the 3D actually moves super smoothly for fight scene and has a genuinely nice amount of punch. it doesn't really have the feeling of marionettes on strings a lot of junky-looking 3D has in anime, since it seems like the people working on it understand how to make animation snappy. fight choreography is also very clean and readable like the source material. this is not Berserk 2016, and these people understand how to create a fight scene between two 3D models and have it be very clear and dynamic

the models are still ugly as sin and manage to stand out horribly when there are 2D animated characters literally in the same scene, and there are bizarre inconsistencies with whether or not fighters will be in 2D outside of their fights. during the lead up to Cosmo's match when he talks to his sponsor; Cosmo is entirely a 3D model, on a 2D background, talking to and touching a 2D man, and it's an incredibly bizarre looking scene. within that same episode we see Rei, fully 2D while lying down on his (also 2D) wifey's lap, presumably because they don't have to actually move anything but his lip-flaps, but also there's no way there isnt a Rei 3D model in the can and it comes off very weirdly after just seeing the cosmo scene. then there's the scene where, after the fight with haru, The loving Cop slaps his Masochist Sexual Partner. He enters the scene as a 3D model, it cuts to her speaking, cuts back to him, fully 2D, and he slaps her, and then he's 2D for the rest of the entire scene. it's just really inconsistent and doesnt seem like there's a lot of confidence in the style they've chosen and never actually finished going in either direction

and the weirdest thing to me is that all flashbacks are rendered in Motion Comic style, with a few key frames that they zoom in and out of, done in a 2D art style that doesnt fully match the comic or the anime's style, and doesn't necessarily copy the angles of the source panels from the 'ga. the frames they use for them also seem to have a super inconsistent level of Done-ness, with the Cosmo flashbacks looking closer to finished art pieces, and the rest of them looking like inked sketches with very very loose placeholder single-tone coloring. it feels like a bunch of extremely unfinished storyboards were just plopped into the middle of the story, and while I don't actually mind the look of them being very different from the show's normally Pretty Ugly look, it still stands out as a kind of insane amount of time in an episode to Not Have Any Actual Animation.

The whole thing kind of has Very Unfinished vibes to it, with the subtitles even missing a few lines entirely, and I don't know if this is the actual product we looked at or some production episode from months ago. if this is the version actually getting pushed to netflix at the end of the month, oof.

all that said, i still had a lot of fun watching it because kengan asura beats extreme amounts of rear end, and I'll probably end watching all of it even if it's just to show support to the wonderful people that are involved with making it

also they made Adam Dudley's grill say "drat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oh and the panel was an absolute joy with a wonderfully energetic hostess, daromeon flexing his immense drawing skill in realtime, and their editor coming out in his gi and showing off his sick fuckin moves