Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Glottis posted:

Just finished Good Omens. I'm not sure why I watched it all... I think I really wanted to like it but it was never as amusing or clever as it seemed like it thought it was, to me.

So you're saying it's a faithful adaptation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

King of Bleh posted:

The novel really is just the worst aspects of both its authors at all times.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Money Heist is really, really good -- so thanks again, thread.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I generally liked Money Heist but two things bugged me.

1) People rarely dying got a bit silly for me. So much automatic gunfire, but the writers didn't want the protagonists to kill any cops because that would be too villainous.

2) Berlin going from an evil piece of poo poo to having an unearned partial redemption instead of just making him a villain.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

King of Bleh posted:

Never read it, but glad to know I'm not insane.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The novel really is just the worst aspects of both its authors at all times.

I was going to make that joke, gosh

Seriously I like a bit of Pratchett but him and Gaiman together is just the worst of both worlds

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Season 3 of Documental is out on Prime if you have a hankering for buff japanese men popping objects out of their foreskin.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
what's wrong with good omens?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

old.flv posted:

Nothing, it's great. It hews a little too close to the book and thus shows its age a bit but I can't fault Gaiman for wanting to honor Sir Terry.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Nothing, it's great. It hews a little too close to the book and thus shows its age a bit but I can't fault Gaiman for wanting to honor Sir Terry.

All I know is I love them both, only read the book once and didn't feel the need to re-read and then watched it and it was like re-reading it.

Looking forward to The Watch on the beeb more, though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Old Man & The Gun is the movie of the week on HBOGo. It stars Robert Redford and Casey Affleck.

The cast is great (Tom Waits! Sissy Spacek! :swoon:) and its about Forrest Tucker and the Over-The-Hill-Gang, senior citizen bank robbers that committed a slew of heists in the late 70s.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

old.flv posted:

It's a little too... "twee"? Is that what the kids are saying these days? It would've worn out its welcome if it was any longer, but it wasn't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LifeLynx posted:

It's a little too... "twee"? Is that what the kids are saying these days? It would've worn out its welcome if it was any longer, but it wasn't.

Gaiman and Pratchett seem like a lethal combination if you don't like twee.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Skratchez posted:

All I know is I love them both, only read the book once and didn't feel the need to re-read and then watched it and it was like re-reading it.

Looking forward to The Watch on the beeb more, though.

I had read it after several recommendations, and finished it but didn't really enjoy it. Mostly the humor was a miss and became grating. The first time they did the "the thing about modern life that you don't like, it was invented by the demons (or by the angels to annoy the demons, or both sides think the other side created it to annoy them)" I didn't like it and it grew worse every time they made the same joke.

Seeing the trailer on the Amazon (since Amazon inserts previews before their video) was a quick reminder of what I didn't like about the book. Sounds like there's no reason for me to watch the series.

Edit: I forgot that I did like how seeing the future worked in the book. The idea of the woman could see the future, but had no control over what she saw. So she knew the exact day that a wall was going to fall over in some field, but not that some major world historical event would happen on that same day.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 23, 2019

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

jjack229 posted:

I had read it after several recommendations, and finished it but didn't really enjoy it. Mostly the humor was a miss and became grating. The first time they did the "the thing about modern life that you don't like, it was invented by the demons (or by the angels to annoy the demons, or both sides think the other side created it to annoy them)" I didn't like it and it grew worse every time they made the same joke.

Seeing the trailer on the Amazon (since Amazon inserts previews before their video) was a quick reminder of what I didn't like about the book. Sounds like there's no reason for me to watch the series.

Edit: I forgot that I did like how seeing the future worked in the book. The idea of the woman could see the future, but had no control over what she saw. So she knew the exact day that a wall was going to fall over in some field, but not that some major world historical event would happen on that same day.

The Nyce and Accurate Prophecies were always Goode and Humorous

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I had to pause from laughing so hard when the witch turned and asked the kids “would you kids like some candy?” after inviting them into her house. I don’t know whats wrong with the rest of you.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Finally finished TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG. My thoughts:

NWR paints beautiful pictures with his camera (well, him and Darius Khondji and Diego Garcia). He composes amazing shots and I love his use of lighting and production design to craft really luscious images.

TOTDY alternates between quiet noir and an almost David Lynchian farce at times. There are some laugh-out-loud moments, particularly with the homicide detectives in the middle episodes. I also really liked the way TOTDY plays with the occult. There are numerous hints of worlds beyond the visible that lend some mystique to the series. There's some gender-bendy stuff that I thiiiink I liked although it hews a little close to "gender bending as evidence of villainy" for me to be fully on board.

Unfortunately, I don't think the series really coheres well. It's ten extra-long episodes but there's at most 6-8 episodes worth of plot. The contemplative pace didn't live up to the "point" of the series for me. I was particularly disappointed by the final episode. It felt like the series was building up to a climax but the final episode goes nowhere and doesn't really satisfy the setup. The series would almost be better if it had ended at episode 9.

I'm a HUGE Refn fan and I'm generally tolerant of his eccentricities, but I think he was given a little too much freedom on this one. I don't regret watching it, but I can't honestly say I walked away satisfied and I don't think that subverted satisfaction was thematically warranted. I never really got a handle on what the show was trying to say, but so much of its... semiotics (for lack of a better word) seemed to insist that the show was trying to say a lot. It was a beautiful mess and I'll always take an interesting mess over a boring, bland minor success.

3/5 stars, Your Mileage May Vary (in any direction)

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I enjoyed Wolf's call, a French submarine film. It's not groundbreaking but the non-German/American setting wrt to submarines was refreshing and somehow felt more authentic apart from attack heli not picking off two people standing in open sea kilometer+ or several hundred meters away. Well at least I learned that anti-air apparently still isn't really present in modern submarines although apparently there's very recent developments in that front
I have to imagine the film is best enjoyed on a pair of headphones. I'm curious how the Dolby Atmos track sounds like in this one. PCs/TVs can't playback actual Atmos format without overly expensive AV receivers. Windows' Dolby Atmos only works on supported game titles or just virtualizes regular multichannel audio.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dark is an incredibly depressing puzzle box of a sci fi mystery and season 2 perfectly expands on and further convolutes season 1 in some really interesting ways. If you like time travel fuckery and really good character drama then you should really check it out.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is I am Mother any good? Any comparisons? I've just seen Under the skin (2013), and think it's probably my favourite sci-fi movie of this decade.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Is I am Mother any good? Any comparisons? I've just seen Under the skin (2013), and think it's probably my favourite sci-fi movie of this decade.

I enjoyed it. It's not much like Under the Skin. More, I dunno, Moon crossed with 10 Cloverfield Lane. Some good performances, and nothing you haven't seen before, but arranged in interesting ways. Good by the standards of a movie you already paid for.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

mike12345 posted:

I am Mother won't surprise you with a "I'd never have seen that coming!"-moment, but it's well-made, well-acted and the plot holds up to scrutiny without revealing any glaring holes or cases of characters holding the idiot ball, which makes it a pleasure to watch unfold by itself, in my opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BlackKKKlansmen is really bad. This seriously won best screenplay? I know the Oscars are dumb but goddamn. Good cast though. Too bad all of them are written like loving cartoons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also watched A Star is Born which kind of sucked as well. Although the Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper dynamic is admittedly kind of hypnotizing. Other than that it's just the most generic poo poo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is now on Netflix, go watch it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Goddamn it I just paid 6 bux to rent that a few days ago. It was awesome though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

BlackKKKlansmen is really bad. This seriously won best screenplay? I know the Oscars are dumb but goddamn. Good cast though. Too bad all of them are written like loving cartoons.

Yeah I couldn't really make it through it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I enjoyed BlackKKKlansman when I watched it and I'd be lying if I said it weren't effective cinema, but the narrative it's pushing about Ron Stallworth being some kind of hero is complete bullshit. It's an insidious film and in many ways that's worse than if it were completely inept.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you wanna expand upon that a little chief. Not trying to call you out or dispute your claims (he was a cop in the 70s lol) but I cannot seem to find any information on whatever heinous stuff he was a part of, partly because any time I search his name it's just poo poo about the movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

you wanna expand upon that a little chief. Not trying to call you out or dispute your claims (he was a cop in the 70s lol) but I cannot seem to find any information on whatever heinous stuff he was a part of, partly because any time I search his name it's just poo poo about the movie

Sure. Boots Riley's complaints here are pretty much what I'm referring to:

https://www.blackagendareport.com/spike-lees-film-makes-cop-spied-blacks-hero

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh no, the Maoist didn't like a movie

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I shall personally kill a sparrow with my bare hands for every award Black KKKlansman received.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ahh I figured it would be something like that, thanks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regardless of how it tampers with the real story it’s just a poorly written script.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh no, the Maoist didn't like a movie

Why would a black man in America dislike a movie that turns police into allies of the Civil Rights movement? Who knows.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why would a black man in America dislike a movie that turns police into allies of the Civil Rights movement? Who knows.

Sounds like you’re a drat commie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

also maybe worth noting that that maoist made the best movie of 2018

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DeimosRising posted:

Sounds like you’re a drat commie

I actually do wish I was making up that Boots is a maoist idiot who thinks the people at Tienanmen square had it coming

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also maybe worth noting that that maoist made the best movie of 2018

Dipshits and assholes can make good art, this is a well-established trend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Piell posted:

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is now on Netflix, go watch it

Wow, I'd heard it was good, but it was even better than I expected. Thanks for the heads up.