Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Like most things in TV show adaptations I bet it comes down to budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually, this ties into one of my visual complaints about the show - the design, and colouring of the protomolecule is basically indistinct from all other technology in the show. It makes shots like the Agatha King infested with it really underwhelming, because that establishing shot could basically just be showing a reactor leak or something.

In general I think the execution of the protomolecule from a visual standpoint is the shows biggest weak point.

I agree, it would have been better if all the human technology/engines fell more into the orange/red spectrum so the glowing bright blue protomolecule was even stranger. Even the design itself should have been more body-horror imo, like that first shot we get of it causes Julie(?) to scream, but it's just a blue mushy blob with half a guy sort of melted into it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I just thought it was blue because that's just what Cerenkov radiation really looks like, and it doesn't matter whether it's given off by reactors or revenants.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I dunno, after the whole "wait, is Amos trans?" thing, I'm not giving anyone itt the benefit of the doubt.

definitely.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Kesper North posted:

I just thought it was blue because that's just what Cerenkov radiation really looks like, and it doesn't matter whether it's given off by reactors or revenants.

Had never heard of this before. Thanks wikipedia for the light reading for when I'm next off work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

wafflethief fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 24, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sve4qSlH3GE

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I was expecting someone would post a video. I'm more a fan of the abrupt 0-to-blue ones though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb9i-toCcwg

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kesper North posted:

:same:

want to touch the spicy water :unsmigghh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:same:

want to touch the spicy water :unsmigghh:

The water isn't all that spicy. Depending on how deep that pool is, you could swim a couple feet under the water and actually be receiving less radiation than you would on the surface. Water is very good at blocking radiation. To bring this back to space talk. Some space travel plans include having a panic room type thing surrounded by the water supply which people could go into during high radiation events to protect themselves.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so what you're saying is that human-carrying rockets to mars will be akin to a submarine ... submerged in a swimming pool?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

double nine posted:

so what you're saying is that human-carrying rockets to mars will be akin to a submarine ... submerged in a swimming pool?

More like you have a room with a double metal wall with water piped in between. You wouldn't need it all the time, it's literally a solar storm shelter sort of deal.

Alehkhs posted:

I was expecting someone would post a video. I'm more a fan of the abrupt 0-to-blue ones though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb9i-toCcwg

hot

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ahhh Space Engineers, eases the pain.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/expanseonprime/status/1143549415392731138?s=21

Coordinates are San Diego, so hopefully we will get a trailer and release date at Comic Con! :toot:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cojawfee posted:

The water isn't all that spicy. Depending on how deep that pool is, you could swim a couple feet under the water and actually be receiving less radiation than you would on the surface. Water is very good at blocking radiation. To bring this back to space talk. Some space travel plans include having a panic room type thing surrounded by the water supply which people could go into during high radiation events to protect themselves.

Red Mars used this idea, there was a scene where they saw a solar flare and had a certain number of minutes to get to the radiation shelter that was in the middle of all the water tanks.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The difficulty is going to be setting up the infrastructure in orbit and at the EarthMoon L1 for moving ice* and other non-complex machinery so that we don't have to continuously boost it out of the gravity well. This is initially going to be entirely robotic in nature as the plumbing needed for humans increases the mass and complexity by orders of magnitude. It is saddening to see so many resources being diverted to crewed missions to mars. The initial stages of building infrastructure in space is going to be very slow, factoring in humans is just going to slow it further.

*If there is easily accessed ice on the moon then that will be a huge boost.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think there is ice at certain points of the moon, but it is more likely that they will just capture comets and asteroids and whatnot.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How come we haven't started work on a space elevator? That seems the most feasible to escape our gravity well, yeah? I know nothing about physics and space so this is probably a dumb question.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Johnny Truant posted:

How come we haven't started work on a space elevator? That seems the most feasible to escape our gravity well, yeah? I know nothing about physics and space so this is probably a dumb question.

It's certainly a neat idea but there are a few logistical issues when it comes to maintaining a cable as long as the earth is round.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
All I know about space elevators comes from cursory googling after I read KSR's Mars trilogy, but IIRC the main obstacle to building one right now is that there is no known material that is both light enough and strong enough to support one. It would also be one of the most expensive undertakings in human history while we still haven't found a way to reverse (and pay for) climate change, so it'd be a major case of putting the cart before the horse.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Johnny Truant posted:

Sure, all we have to do is find a way to get a spool of super-strong material that is 36,000km in length that weighs so little that we can place it in geostationary orbit.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ashpanash posted:

Sure, all we have to do is find a way to get a spool of super-strong material that is 36,000km in length that weighs so little that we can place it in geostationary orbit.

After Area 51 finishes the PWARW it's next on the list.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Johnny Truant posted:

In the same way a Dyson sphere is the most feasible way to get all the possible energy of the sun, yes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Alright so let's use that plastic material they wrap packages with, that poo poo is nigh impenetrable. We just solved the space elevator problem y'all, good job!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ashpanash posted:

Can't we just copy the materials invented for those sci-fi shows?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ashpanash posted:

It has to be longer. The geostationary part is the midpoint. Out past that is a counterweight that prevents the whole thing from falling back down.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

And hoo boy if it snaps it's gonna be a bad time for a lot of people.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Nail Rat posted:

And hoo boy if it snaps it's gonna be a bad time for a lot of people.

http://gassend.net/spaceelevator/breaks/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah imagine the destruction caused by it wrapping all the way around the Earth like that, flattening cities and creating bigass waves. And in most cases, the poor saps at the terminal stations get sent out on a one way trip to asphyxiate (well, more likely to starve).

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
A one way trip to asphyxiation station

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Doing a rewatch and dragging my wife along this time because I have nobody to talk to about this show except one friend. As I expected, it was very hard for it to hold her interest in the first season and a half until maybe the last couple episodes of that arc. The second half of the second season started getting her more interested and now in the middle of the third season, she's hooked.

That's the big problem that makes me think it's not going to get the huge following Amazon thinks they can bring it. People who hear about it will watch the first season and think "what's the big deal" and probably not bother to get to the good poo poo.

Oh well, as long as Bezos is a fan, he can get hosed but at least he can keep this show going.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lol if you aren't hooked from at least the donnager battle, never mind the panning shot of ceres

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
How are people not hooked by Shed's (missing) Head? :confused:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think if you don't like it after the donnager escape it might not be for you

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

sebmojo posted:

I think if you don't like it after the donnager escape it might not be for you

Personally I enjoyed the first season but it didn't grab me the way season two and especially season three did. The way season one ended in particular didn't really leave me feeling like I had to have more. I never bothered with the show after that until after season three had aired (I watched season 1 prior to season 2 premiering). If season one ended with the Eros impact on Venus, probably a different story.

Each of the seasons is better than the one before it, and season three is the only one that properly ends at the end of an arc with a tease of what's next. Also the second half of season three having lots of Ashford and Drummer owns.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 28, 2019

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nail Rat posted:

Personally I enjoyed the first season but it didn't grab me the way season two and especially season three did. The way season one ended in particular didn't really leave me feeling like I had to have more. I never bothered with the show after that until after season three had aired. If season one ended with the Eros impact on Venus, probably a different story.

Each of the seasons is better than the one before it, and season three is the only one that properly ends at the end of an arc with a tease of what's next. Also the second half of season three having lots of Ashford and Drummer owns.

Yep. The weird structure they gave the seasons is insane. When I watched it with my girlfriend I just treat season one as an extended season and ended it with the impact and then season two as the book, and season three as shorter than usual. It works much better that way.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think you can just start with Season 3 Episode 7, Delta-V. It's like a new season anyway. Everyone gets reintroduced, as does the premise, and I think it's pretty compelling right off the bat. 8 Episodes later, if people are interested, they can go back and watch Seasons 1-3.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

How are people not hooked by Shed's (missing) Head? :confused:

haha, that was the moment that got me.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

haha, that was the moment that got me.

I always sell this show to people by talking about its handling of weird space poo poo. Space travel is really routine and mundane, until it very suddenly isn't.

My favourite bit is when the rock hopper opens his helmet in space to move the wire in his helmet - stupidly risky, but totally believable. You really get a feel for the Belter mindset.

And Ashford V drummer is some of the best stuff in the show. I'd watch an entire series of "pirate tries to go legit, reverts to pirate ways when poo poo hits the fan"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I always sell this show to people by talking about its handling of weird space poo poo. Space travel is really routine and mundane, until it very suddenly isn't.

My favourite bit is when the rock hopper opens his helmet in space to move the wire in his helmet - stupidly risky, but totally believable. You really get a feel for the Belter mindset.

most sci fi shows would have you going all Total Recall when you get exposed to vacuum but the real deal is you can survive short term exposure just fine, and a guy who has spent years on the job in space would know that. another good example is the bit where space newbie Prax doesn't properly secure equipment so it starts banging around the cabin when they start maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to these astrophysicists your eyes would basically freeze and get hosed up instantly so it's still a dangerous maneuver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8viG3EtsBwk