Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dang, you must have made a typo because the auto-* feature didn't pick it up

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
is it normal when an embeded nas suddenly changes its update server to something in china

code:
download.qnap.com.cn.	217	IN	CNAME	download.qnap.com.cn.cloudglb.com.
download.qnap.com.cn.cloudglb.com. 3599	IN CNAME down.fwcdncb.cloudglb.com.
down.fwcdncb.cloudglb.com. 59	IN	A	117.27.232.35
:smithcloud:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
where do you think qnap as a company comes from?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

:gop:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A password keeper so good, its name gets obfuscated.

Computer Serf posted:

is it normal when an embeded nas suddenly changes its update server to something in china

code:
It's perfectly fine. :yaybutt:
QNAP is from Taiwan, so who the gently caress knows.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I made a typo on the procurement form and now we store our data on an embedded nsa

mystes
May 31, 2006

Taiwan.

But it is funny how uploading 100% of your private data, location history, etc. to a server in the US is okay but even pinging a Chinese server is automatically Chinese espionage/treason now.

It's also interesting how people are freaking out how AMD licensed it's CPU designs to a company in China because suddenly it's like, "How dare AMD give away American secrets to China?!"

Apparently even Americans who are anti-Trump are 100% on board with the trade war.

mystes fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 28, 2019

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

China is at best a police state, the us is not

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

is this because of the update over http issue from 2016 that keepass had or is there some other issue? am I the fuckup?

I’ll gladly switch if there’s an issue still, but I want the solution to remain free of charge

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

really loving arguable on a broader level, the us will happily dissappear foreign 'obstacles' at the drop of a hat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

they have concentration camps for Muslims instead of toddlers so it’s a wash really.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Computer Serf posted:

code:

what do you think CNAME stands for?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
China name

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

namlosh posted:

is this because of the update over http issue from 2016 that keepass had or is there some other issue? am I the fuckup?

I’ll gladly switch if there’s an issue still, but I want the solution to remain free of charge

nah keep rear end is completely fine, just clunky, like it's always been

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i got another new variant of the "i have your password!!" emails, i won't post the whole thing but a few fun quotes are "We have installed one RAT software into you device" and "your front camera shoots video every time you masturbate" and "Changed your password? You're doing great!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Taiwan.

But it is funny how uploading 100% of your private data, location history, etc. to a server in the US is okay but even pinging a Chinese server is automatically Chinese espionage/treason now.

It's also interesting how people are freaking out how AMD licensed it's CPU designs to a company in China because suddenly it's like, "How dare AMD give away American secrets to China?!"

Apparently even Americans who are anti-Trump are 100% on board with the trade war.

the correct way to handle any kind of china trade issues would have been with the TPP but racists in both parties killed that pretty dead.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

the correct way to handle any kind of china trade issues would have been with the TPP but racists in both parties killed that pretty dead.

china was not and never would have been a member of the TPP if that's what you mean so i'm not sure how that would have worked

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I mean for negotiations against china. an entire trade block would have more power than just the us

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

Taiwan.

hey, now there's a question. would using a qnap cloud service violate export restrictions?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kazinsal posted:

page torn from a notebook and stuffed in your :c2b:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

i got another new variant of the "i have your password!!" emails, i won't post the whole thing but a few fun quotes are "We have installed one RAT software into you device" and "your front camera shoots video every time you masturbate" and "Changed your password? You're doing great!"

Wholesome extortion :unsmith:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

china was not and never would have been a member of the TPP

thats the point dipshit.

dropping the entire new bloc's relianc eon china via increasing it amongst themselves, meaning china has far less relevance to any of them.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

"your front camera shoots video every time you masturbate"

how nice of them to take care of that for me

anyhow, thanks for the 1password recommendation

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

thats the point dipshit.

yes that's why I said it :confused:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

:ohdear:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

mystes posted:

Taiwan.

idk it was more like, why did the firmware update server suddenly change from
download.qnap.com
to
download.qnap.com.cn

maybe it was just a normal janitoring fuckup :shrug:

tbh anytime a piece of network equipment has an irregular issue like an unexpected reboot i just assume either a teenager or some nation state prob just :owned: my box so i put it in my freezer until i find a proper burial site

:tinfoil:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

functionally what's the difference between download.qnap.com and download.qnap.com.cn? do they even resolve to different ips?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
code:
➜  ~ nslookup download.qnap.com
Server:         127.0.0.53
Address:        127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
download.qnap.com       canonical name = dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net.
Name:   dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net
Address: 13.32.253.102
Address: 13.32.253.31
Address: 13.32.253.165
Address: 13.32.253.125
Address: 2600:9000:2145:4600:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:7400:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:7600:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:a200:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:ac00:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:c800:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:e000:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:3e00:1c:350a:340:93a1

➜  ~ nslookup download.qnap.com.cn
Server:         127.0.0.53
Address:        127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
download.qnap.com.cn    canonical name = download.qnap.com.cn.cloudglb.com.
download.qnap.com.cn.cloudglb.com       canonical name = down.fwcdncb.cloudglb.com.
Name:   down.fwcdncb.cloudglb.com
Address: 117.27.232.35

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
so yeah .cn goes to a chinese only CDN while the .com goes to an aws cloudfront hosted cdn.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hell yeah get hosed up with unauthenticated commands to your insulin pump

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if your insulin pump has those kind of security vulnerabilities you can combine them with a blood glucose monitor and your own custom software to create an artificial pancreas

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Midjack posted:

hell yeah get hosed up with unauthenticated commands to your insulin pump

Pump that poo poo directly into my veins so that I overdose and die of "a software malfunction"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, seriously, there's a second-hand market for vulnerable insulin pumps

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/04/looping-created-insulin-pump-underground-market/588091/

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

functionally what's the difference between download.qnap.com and download.qnap.com.cn? do they even resolve to different ips?

if qnap wanted to gently caress any of its customers im sure it could just leave an obscure set of vulnerabilites in and have plausible deniability so ultimately its probably just a novelty that the update server changed but it just got me thinking about update servers and end user transparency.

releases might be signed, or if you're lucky the developers will publish checksums but then there's situations like that time some guy handed over one of the largest node.js libraries to another developer and the new guy put malware in it and all the projects using that library pushed to their releases so this is all the more reason why we need an entirely new architecture made up of a network of unhackable laptops and ROM chips

code:
; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @8.8.8.8 download.qnap.com
; (1 server found)

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;download.qnap.com.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
download.qnap.com.	216	IN	CNAME	dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net.
dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net. 59 IN	A	13.224.29.16
dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net. 59 IN	A	13.224.29.120
dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net. 59 IN	A	13.224.29.52
dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net. 59 IN	A	13.224.29.95
code:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;download.qnap.com.cn.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
download.qnap.com.cn.	162	IN	CNAME	download.qnap.com.cn.cloudglb.com.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

so yeah .cn goes to a chinese only CDN while the .com goes to an aws cloudfront hosted cdn.

everything is in the cloud

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

And a large open source community

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hence the ooga booga scary warning

hackers can turn your pancreas into a bomb use only EXTORTO Brand insulin pumps

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if you're not slaughtering your own animals and pressing their pancreas to extract insulin then imo you're just asking to be targeted by an exploit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

buddy