Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

At least this reminded me to actually finish TB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

dud root posted:

Just got past the dwarves in Thronebreaker and I'm spent. Really enjoyable so far, but I'm not up for another full map. May need to put this down for a month or two

You've not got that long, put it on easy so you can see the stuff that actually matters.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
After dwarves is when the game starts getting really repetitive so i don't think much will keep him hooked tbh.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I really liked the final map story wise.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Buller posted:

I really liked the final map story wise.

Me too. The game itself is absolutely terrible but I really enjoy the story of it. I put it to easy and enjoyed myself by just auto-winning everything.

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010
Anybody still play this? I'm coming back to this after being away for about a year. I see a bunch of stuff has changed besides card abilities: only 2 rows now, no more placement restrictions, etc. Any other changes to be aware of? There is a monster keg at double the price of a regular keg, I assume that's just because you're guaranteed the type of cards you want?

What's the extent of the tie-in with Thronebreaker, is it worth picking up? Also, what's the deal with the reward book, just something to give you extra resources/leaders?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcs20bR73cQ

Gotta admit, this kind of stuff sorta justifies the switch to 3D leaders.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
what a betrayal of the source material.

i would never even have gone into his creepy cave if he wasn't hanging naked from the ceiling.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ViolentQuiche posted:

What's the extent of the tie-in with Thronebreaker, is it worth picking up? Also, what's the deal with the reward book, just something to give you extra resources/leaders?

It's a fun story and worth playing if you like the Witcher.
The card game side of it is boring and you don't really get to properly build a deck and etc.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Is this game good again? What's the consensus on it?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Taear posted:

It's a fun story and worth playing if you like the Witcher.
The card game side of it is boring and you don't really get to properly build a deck and etc.

Currently halfway through it and goddamn, every single good human being choice has backfired. This game doesn't want you to be a good person towards others.

ViolentQuiche posted:

There are unique cards you can only get from Thronebreaker. The reward book is sorta like the progression system for the game. Some extra lore, some cosmetics, but mostly a way to reward long term play with extra stuff

Knowlue posted:

I'm enjoying it quite a bit! A new expansion is coming out in like 3-4 days, too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Knowlue posted:

Since I started checking its numbers on Artifact's release, it seems to be pretty stable at ~1K on Twitch (at least during the times that I'm awake) and Artifact is at <100 now, lol.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Megazver posted:

Since I started checking its numbers on Artifact's release, it seems to be pretty stable at ~1K on Twitch (at least during the times that I'm awake) and Artifact is at <100 now, lol.

Doesn't really say if the game is good or not though.

Azran posted:

Currently halfway through it and goddamn, every single good human being choice has backfired. This game doesn't want you to be a good person towards others.

It's a Witcher game - every choice has a downside, nothing you do will ever quite be perfect!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Taear posted:

Doesn't really say if the game is good or not though.

Well, it's a bit of an indirect indicator, innit?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Thronebreaker is too long for its own good. By Mahakam I was already skipping most if not all fights. I skipped Gernichora, which didn't net me the achievement. Whoops! No chance in hell I'm replaying the game anyways, so I'm making sure of getting as many achievements/golden chests as possible for the reward points.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Knowlue posted:

I just recently got into Gwent after finishing up a Witcher 3 playthrough so my only real experience with it is post-Homecoming.

I'm really enjoying it so far though I'm only level 19 / rank 26 at this point. I have limited CCG experience so maybe my bar is low but I am pretty impressed so far at the different possibilities for building decks and the synergies between different cards and leaders. Also really impressed by the overall quality of the game; the quests, achievements and reward tree give a nice balance of short- and long-term goals, the cards and boards are very pretty, and being able to play on PC from my couch with a controller is a nice bonus.

I have bought the starter pack and Thronebreaker (on sale) and I am on the fence about the expansion pre-purchase. I guess my main concern is with the overall health of the game; I get the sense that the move to Homecoming turned a lot of people off and drove a lot of fansites out of business (GwentDB most notably) who were not able to completely retool themselves for the game overhaul. But I don't have any of that history with the game, I just like what I am seeing from it right now.

So I am leaning towards buying the expansion to get the bonuses, but also as a show of support for CDPR, and kind of just hoping that this game will have a long life ahead of it and that it is not a few months away from being shut down or something. I guess even something like Elder Scrolls: Legends has managed to stick around long enough to get several expansions, and I don't ever hear of anyone playing that game, so hopefully they will be able to keep the lights on for Gwent for at least a few more years.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

quote:

The smartphone version of GWENT will allow gamers around the world to experience The Witcher Card Game’s skill-oriented CCG play on the go. The smartphone version of GWENT will be arriving later this year on iPhones. Details regarding an Android release will be announced at a later date.

“We’ve been preparing long and hard to adapt GWENT to smartphones,” said Jason Slama, Game Director of GWENT: The Witcher Card Game, CD PROJEKT RED. “Beautiful visuals aside, we’ve tailored much of our technology, including GOG Galaxy which powers GWENT’s multiplayer, to support mobile devices. I think our vision for bringing GWENT to smartphones combines the best we have to offer both in terms of graphics and gameplay. I can’t wait to share more details on the subject with you later this year.”

At loving last.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news/26845/gwent-coming-to-smartphones

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

when i launch this game once a month to see the player count and troll online about it my laptop burns the f up. Will be interesting to see how mobile performs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's interesting that Thronebreaker is working on what seems to be an older version of post-homecoming Gwent. It goes from stuff like how on round start you still lose any cards you draw over the limit to terrible performance in comparison to standard Gwent. I was having awful slowdown on Thronebreaker while Gwent's running much better than it did before.

Also apparently they've made the color palette lighter, according to the gameplay previews.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HC pretty much feels the same as it always did, even the midwinter UI update felt more substantial to me than whatever was supposed to have been done between october and now. Idk I'm just not seeing any real difference besides spear and eithne getting what they deserved (my monthly game is using the same unseen elder deck I made during the ptr and it seems fine and the only change I noticed was Caranthir's str went down by 1).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the card reveal page for Crimson Curse loving sucks, doesn't even explain the new keywords/mechanics

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I only started playing in earnest this month and for some reason didn’t realize that the Season of the Bear stuff would be ending tomorrow when the expansion comes out, I only made it about halfway through the Roche rewards tree because I wasn’t really playing much seasonal until a few days ago. Oh well, sounds like the rewards are on an annual cycle so hopefully I will get to pick up where I left off next year and finally get that Bear cardback!

I took the plunge and bought the expansion preorder bonus pack mostly because I really like Gwent, Thronebreaker, and CDPR and want to help keep this thing going.

The introduction of iOS/Android clients should be a big turning point for the overall health of the game.. hopefully a positive one! (Also, I really hope it lets me sync everything with my PC GOG account.)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Expansion is out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

the eredin nerf. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. What a trainwreck. Goes from giving 3 points and immune to four points and a shield.

Witchers were nerfed and royal decree was buffed so put that in all your decks instead I guess.

pink flag
May 16, 2009
Yeah, witcher trio is hot garbage now. I think they were probably a little overnerfed but I won't miss them, they were in literally every single deck.

The new Scoiatael leader is a lot of fun! I've been using just enough variety to pull Saskia with her. Treant boar with the dryad matrons is nice, might have to slot Malena in there somewhere too.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Trying to play as much Seasonal as I can now before the meta is established and we end up like the end of Season of the Bear with 80% of people playing Crach engines (me included).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Awesome. Wish it was the previous 3 row version but I’ll take it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hm... trying the game again and the mulligan changes and new cards did a lot, I feel like. It's got that old Gwent feel to it, where I'm trying to piece together the best route to my win condition and conserving combos while not over committing or under committing resources, and the whole thing feels a lot less rote now that the meta isn't artifact spam like it was when I played. There's a good mix of engines, combos, and straight deploys. Actually having fun again, so far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm trying to get back into this game and it completely just kinda hangs up in the "finding rival" screen. Is this something on my end, or is the game just not popular?

Dinho Eledair
Feb 20, 2006

I've not had issues getting games myself (haven't played the last couple of weeks though), and streamers I watch haven't had issues either in the last couple of days. It might be you starting fresh at the bottom of the ranking after so long, especially mid way through a season? Not exactly sure how that's all set up.

Or maybe everyone has suddenly just stopped playing! It's a good game though so hopefully not.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

New substantial update. Gwent is moving to a minimum of 13 units per deck. In this video the devs make a thoughtful explanations of why creatureless decks work for other card games but they aren't very good for Gwent(I completely agree with their reasoning). There are also some new quality of life features like better starter decks for new players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOljC0WaD9s

The Season of Magic just started and one of the rewards is a badass card back.

I'm sitting on like a million scrap so this seems like a good time to jump in again.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

new expansion resurrective bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SamgviMdxes

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bless CDPR for still trying with this game even though its dead, maybe they should try an auto chess clone next!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I still follow what goes on in this game because I'm still mad about it. I concede one game a month to get ranked and see if the player base grows and it doesnt.

They're releasing a new faction that is very clearly overpowered (in extremely, extremely obvious ways) so if you ever want to make the mistake of playing this game don't do it for a few weeks until they've sold enough packs to nerf it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

No Wave posted:

I still follow what goes on in this game because I'm still mad about it. I concede one game a month to get ranked and see if the player base grows and it doesnt.

They're releasing a new faction that is very clearly overpowered (in extremely, extremely obvious ways) so if you ever want to make the mistake of playing this game don't do it for a few weeks until they've sold enough packs to nerf it.

I'd be curious as to what makes you think the Syndicate is overpowered.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Their units are overstatted and have additional upside. Doesnt take much else. theres also the broken 6 point clown ofc.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

man just the thought of having to learn all the balance changes for the core set, previous expansion mechanics AND the newest one when coming back really puts me off

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, the Twitch is at 3K now and it's been at ~1K for the past few months.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Seedge posted:

I'd be curious as to what makes you think the Syndicate is overpowered.
there are some cards, like igor and the dmg borsodi, that will have to get cooldowns or timers because you can almost endlessly swarm in some decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The main issue with Syndicate is that the coins are points you simply can't interact with.

frajaq posted:

man just the thought of having to learn all the balance changes for the core set, previous expansion mechanics AND the newest one when coming back really puts me off

To be honest it's mostly just new keywords (on the expansion cards). The most significant change in the core set has been some leaders getting new abilities and the witcher trio getting nerfed.