Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you meant it as a joke, congratulations, you've genuinely made me laugh incredibly hard.

If you meant it seriously, may I suggest our LP subforum? Specifically, the threads for "Reborn" and "Rejuvenation". Or, if you want something archived, the LP Archive has "Uranium".

I'm imagining the possibility of Pokemon mainline games post SwSh being worse in every aspect including quality than Uranium or Snakewood and lmaoing at that.
Then the laughter stops when the possibility becomes more and more real due to sheer incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't think any Pokemon has been confirmed to not be coming over yet, araquanid is a super good design so I imagine they'd be higher on the list to come over

Hopefully anyway

Man I sure hope so cause I need some good news about this upcoming gen at least. I know it's a broken record to hear at this point but i'm pretty bummed out about the whole Dexit deal, mainly cause a lot of the battle strategies that made my matches interesting are were taken out back and shot unceremoniously.

For example, one of my favorite singles strats was to lead with Mega Beedrill, u-turn a switch into a super bulky eviolite Porygon2 that sets up a trick room, and then swap with my shiny Araquanid and his 100% boosted Liquidations. Now all of that is pretty much dead, the only thing left is for my porygon2 to find a new tag partner that feels irreplaceable on my lineup. Another fun trick was to lead with a focus sash Kartana, then switch in to my Porygon-Z when he eventually dies out to fire attacks; once he's in the game, all it takes is a Z-conversion for that sweet all-around stat boost to pretty much one-shot everything in front of him with either shadow ball or thunderbolt, and welp, guess that's gone too! The real fun with z crystals was discovering the fun secondary effects that happened when paired with seemingly useless moves, like what they did with splash and it's +3 attack boost.

Feels like a serious, permanent downgrade, all traded in for party float pokemon. And you fuckin' know you're gonna have to use Dynamax in every match if you don't want to get completely steamrolled by your opponent, so it really feels like more of a forced game mechanic than an option that things like z crystals and mega stones did in Ultra Sun and Moon.

Also, am I imagining things, or did they say that, starting with Sword and Shield, if the pokemon isn't in said region dex, it's not gonna be usable period? I don't mean just for SwSh, I mean for ALL the future games; so if they come out with Gen 9 in a few years and if pokemon aren't in THAT region dex, then they too will be left out in the cold? Basically securing those poke borders so no filthy immigrants can cross regions. Cause if so then what the gently caress Game Freak.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Parrotine posted:

Also, am I imagining things, or did they say that, starting with Sword and Shield, if the pokemon isn't in said region dex, it's not gonna be usable period? I don't mean just for SwSh, I mean for ALL the future games; so if they come out with Gen 9 in a few years and if pokemon aren't in THAT region dex, then they too will be left out in the cold? Basically securing those poke borders so no filthy immigrants can cross regions. Cause if so then what the gently caress Game Freak.
that is exactly what they said, yes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Annath posted:

I thought Home wasn't a game, it was just another storage space. One that you can put Pokemon from pre-Sword/Shield into, but not take out of or send to Sword/Shield.

And he was careful to note that prior 'mons might come back in future games. The impression I got from the "letter" was that going forward, GF is no longer going to release games in which all Pokemon will be obtainable/usable, but instead a selection of older pokemon will accompany new ones.

We'll see if they walk that back once they realize that they need to pad the pokemon count because they won't be able to make 100+ new pokemon every generation. poo poo, I don't buy them being able to make 50+ new ones each gen.

I could make 50 pokemon in this post

Vizorobe - Ghost Normal - Is a wizard's robe with a visor

Clinkletink - Steel - A bunch of chains shaped like a man
Clankletank - Steel - A more muscley one

And so on. That's almost 50 right there

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to have a laugh if they actually programmed every Pokémon into the game and dummied several of them out. Or all of the data and art assets are in the game and it's going to be like Ruby and Sapphire and we have to wait for some other game to come out to open up the whole National Pokédex.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Anyway, sure, some people are crazy and want all pokemon in at launch with home compatibility, but the more sensible thing people are asking for is for the remainder of the roster to be patched in via HOME compatibility over time. These crazy post-launch updates that Nintendo commonly does.
Some big Nintendo titles have gotten significant content patches post launch in the last few years, but Pokémon is absolutely not one of them. Their patches are few in number and only fix bugs. They have never done a quality of life or content addition patch. There was no attempt to make new ORAS content compatible with XY or new USUM content compatible with Sun/Moon. The message is clear: buy the "third game" if you want new content or updates.

I bet that if a partial or full fix to the Dexit crisis comes, it will be in a new version that we'll be expected to pay for all over again. I don't want to be all doom and gloom, but this is a consistent pattern. It's just that before now, old and established Pokémon were never on the line.

Edit: It's not entirely the same, but this is reminding me of early Generation 3. Oof. It sucked having to buy so many other games for the privilege of re-obtaining essential Pokémon such as Eevee, Ditto, or Smeargle. Very consumer unfriendly. Hoenn did not have the space to accommodate all Pokémon, but the solution sucked.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 29, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mizuti posted:

Some big Nintendo titles have gotten significant content patches post launch in the last few years, but Pokémon is absolutely not one of them. Their patches are few in number and only fix bugs. They have never done a quality of life or content addition patch. There was no attempt to make new ORAS content compatible with XY or new USUM content compatible with Sun/Moon. The message is clear: buy the "third game" if you want new content or updates.

I bet that if a partial or full fix to the Dexit crisis comes, it will be in a new version that we'll be expected to pay for all over again. I don't want to be all doom and gloom, but this is a consistent pattern. It's just that before now, old and established Pokémon were never on the line.

It was pretty rare in the Wii U era, but by the time the Switch came out, yeah, most big titles end up getting a ton of content patches. Pokemon is in an odd place, there's other japanese games that do this kind of stuff. Persona, Monster Hunter (up 'till World), Dragon Quest are pretty big modern examples. And they all vary from 3-1 years after release (well, DQXI is 1 year from worldwide release to switch, it's more like 2 years from japanese release, and it has so much new content). But they aren't yearly releases, they have pretty significant gaps between the last "deluxe" version to the next main installment, while Pokemon has a third version a year before the next main release. And the differences between MonHun Tri and 4 or Persona 4 to 5 are massive, specially compared to XY to SM. I don't know what my point is here, just that poo poo's strange but Pokemon botched their reintroduction to third versions after 2012 or so having a sequel instead, and then third versions skipping a generation, then we get USUM just a year after SM.

And this kinda pairs with a feeling I had during Lets Go. It's the exact opposite of a game like Anthem or Fallout. Those you touch and you can feel that they needed another year of development, a lack of polish and content. In Lets Go, everything is perfectly well polished, content is not exactly light or feeling like things are missing, but it feels like it's not a fully realized game. Like the gameplay loop was not perfected, it presents ideas that get dropped rather quickly. It feels like a game that needed an extra year early on, but instead got "rushed" and spent several months polishing what had been done to have a good presentation.
It simply left me feeling like it could've been something really nice had it not been the fourth yearly release in a row. That doesn't fill me with confidence for the fifth yearly release in a row.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 29, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

qnqnx posted:

I'm imagining the possibility of Pokemon mainline games post SwSh being worse in every aspect including quality than Uranium or Snakewood and lmaoing at that.
Then the laughter stops when the possibility becomes more and more real due to sheer incompetence.

Have we really reached the point of "A Pokémon might not be in a new game, so future mainline series games will be worse than Snakewood?"

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm not happy that I won't be able to take my favorite pokemon through the new games, but I'll get over it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

indigi posted:

it's kind of wildly inappropriate for Kiawe and Kukui to be shirtless in class

At least Kiawe doesn't try to hide it by donning on a lab coat, he's all suns out guns out.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Annath posted:

I thought Home wasn't a game, it was just another storage space. One that you can put Pokemon from pre-Sword/Shield into, but not take out of or send to Sword/Shield.

And he was careful to note that prior 'mons might come back in future games. The impression I got from the "letter" was that going forward, GF is no longer going to release games in which all Pokemon will be obtainable/usable, but instead a selection of older pokemon will accompany new ones.

We'll see if they walk that back once they realize that they need to pad the pokemon count because they won't be able to make 100+ new pokemon every generation. poo poo, I don't buy them being able to make 50+ new ones each gen.

Even if it was just supposed a storage space app now, it would be a lot more feasible to say, add multiplayer battles to Home which will by design be around for a few generations than it would be to backtrack and add all of the missing pokemon to Sword and Shield in half a year,

Parrotine posted:

Man I sure hope so cause I need some good news about this upcoming gen at least. I know it's a broken record to hear at this point but i'm pretty bummed out about the whole Dexit deal, mainly cause a lot of the battle strategies that made my matches interesting are were taken out back and shot unceremoniously.

For example, one of my favorite singles strats was to lead with Mega Beedrill, u-turn a switch into a super bulky eviolite Porygon2 that sets up a trick room, and then swap with my shiny Araquanid and his 100% boosted Liquidations. Now all of that is pretty much dead, the only thing left is for my porygon2 to find a new tag partner that feels irreplaceable on my lineup. Another fun trick was to lead with a focus sash Kartana, then switch in to my Porygon-Z when he eventually dies out to fire attacks; once he's in the game, all it takes is a Z-conversion for that sweet all-around stat boost to pretty much one-shot everything in front of him with either shadow ball or thunderbolt, and welp, guess that's gone too! The real fun with z crystals was discovering the fun secondary effects that happened when paired with seemingly useless moves, like what they did with splash and it's +3 attack boost.

Feels like a serious, permanent downgrade, all traded in for party float pokemon. And you fuckin' know you're gonna have to use Dynamax in every match if you don't want to get completely steamrolled by your opponent, so it really feels like more of a forced game mechanic than an option that things like z crystals and mega stones did in Ultra Sun and Moon.

Pokemon World issues; actually having to think for a new game.

Anyway they ain't walking it back. Playtesting over 800 pokemon to make sure they don't cause the game to crash would be a pain in the rear end, and it'll become a bigger pain in the rear end with each new generation. Even if they didn't do it now, they'll have to do it sooner or later, and doing it now with the series going to a new system is the best time to do it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Or they could just not do yearly releases and actually give them proper time to make the game. That's an option (that they won't do)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
yeah I need my yearly fix

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I keep seeing people thinking they're going to add battling to Home and I'm not quite sure what y'all are basing this on.

It's going to be Bank + Trading and *maybe* something like Amie/Refresh that lets you play with your Pokemon, if we're lucky.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Because if they don't have every Pokemon in every game, the only way to let people battle their friends with whatever Pokemon they want is to add it to home. Or make another app I guess?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vandar posted:

I keep seeing people thinking they're going to add battling to Home and I'm not quite sure what y'all are basing this on.

It's going to be Bank + Trading and *maybe* something like Amie/Refresh that lets you play with your Pokemon, if we're lucky.

People are basing it on "Home is gonna be more then just Bank" which was confirmed with it's reveal. Pokemon doesn't have an official battling app so it's not a far stretch.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

battling in Home would require held items to be a thing, and they haven't let you transfer items since Gen 3 -> Gen 4, so, doubtful.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Home = Bank + Amie/Refresh

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kikas posted:

People are basing it on "Home is gonna be more then just Bank" which was confirmed with it's reveal. Pokemon doesn't have an official battling app so it's not a far stretch.

Right, it's going to be Bank + trading.

I can't help but think everyone that's expecting battling to be involved is going to be hella disappointed when it launches. :shrug:

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I don't get the deal with Home. We already have Bank to store stuff so why don't they just patch it for the new gen like they did with gen 7?

You can't exactly patch a piece of 3DS software to run on the Switch.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vandar posted:

I can't help but think everyone that's expecting battling to be involved is going to be hella disappointed when it launches. :shrug:

Well yeah but it's fun to speculate! Maybe something nice will happen for a change!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Thats insanely hopeful.

Would Home allow items? Are pokemon from Go just randomly rolled stats again? Would there be any way whatsoever to 'edit' pokemon after you put it in home n its stuck there? (Say you made a good Incineroar in USUM, but one move doesnt work as well as youd hope. Cant go to swsh, cant go back to usum)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Just wait a year for Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield which is also the version where Sword-Dog learns to dual wield.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zuzie posted:

Who would have thunk that coding in 100 to 300 Pokemon in 4 and a half months would be outright impossible, especially when the game is already in a finished state?

Nodosaur posted:

The game comes out in under half a year. That was never going to not be the case.

How many times does it need to be said before it gets through your thick skulls that they don't need to delay anything. Home doesn't launch until some unspecified time in 2020 so they have months to patch the rest in.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

How many times does it need to be said before it gets through your thick skulls that they don't need to delay anything. Home doesn't launch until some unspecified time in 2020 so they have months to patch the rest in.

Yeah cause Gamefreaks whole schtick is patching the games and not releasing a new product with the fixes for a full price.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Saagonsa posted:

Or they could just not do yearly releases and actually give them proper time to make the game. That's an option (that they won't do)

Merch will get stale in a year, and they make far more off of that than they do the games.

Vandar posted:

Which do you think will earn more? A bank style app where everyone pays 5 bucks a year and that's it, or a F2P multiplayer game with purchasable cosmetic costumes for your pokemon/trainer which just so happens to store all your pokemon?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Thats insanely hopeful.

Would Home allow items? Are pokemon from Go just randomly rolled stats again? Would there be any way whatsoever to 'edit' pokemon after you put it in home n its stuck there? (Say you made a good Incineroar in USUM, but one move doesnt work as well as youd hope. Cant go to swsh, cant go back to usum)

There is nothing stopping you from going back into USUM and getting a new one.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Have we really reached the point of "A Pokémon might not be in a new game, so future mainline series games will be worse than Snakewood?"

You are definitely miscalculating GF's commitment to the future games, or rather, lack of.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

mikemil828 posted:

Merch will get stale in a year, and they make far more off of that than they do the games.

Which do you think will earn more? A bank style app where everyone pays 5 bucks a year and that's it, or a F2P multiplayer game with purchasable cosmetic costumes for your pokemon/trainer which just so happens to store all your pokemon?

There is nothing stopping you from going back into USUM and getting a new one.

Theres been gaps of 2 years without new games.

Thats discouraging as gently caress to have to make a whole new one to make any changes on a pokemon for this battle simulator you are dreaming of.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"Pokemon Home might have battling" is pie-in-the-sky idealist nonsense but "A Pokemon that I like might not be available in Sword/Shield and therefore mainline Pokemon games are going to be worse than lovely fangames" is a perfectly reasonable conclusion. God bless.

I'm gonna miss Mega Heracross too but I'll live with him not being available in one title just like I lived through every other monster, variant, or feature that hasn't made the jump between generations. It's sad, but the whole reason this has to happen is that there's going to be over one thousand of these things now. There are other options. Relax, find a new friend to bring along this time, enjoy yourself. Then hope your fave will be back next year. Or skip all those steps and Sword/Shield and just do the last bit for a year.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

mikemil828 posted:

...That's why I said they won't do it? I don't see how that's much of an argument against why it'd be better if they did give it time

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"Pokemon Home might have battling" is pie-in-the-sky idealist nonsense but "A Pokemon that I like might not be available in Sword/Shield and therefore mainline Pokemon games are going to be worse than lovely fangames" is a perfectly reasonable conclusion. God bless.

I'm gonna miss Mega Heracross too but I'll live with him not being available in one title just like I lived through every other monster, variant, or feature that hasn't made the jump between generations. It's sad, but the whole reason this has to happen is that there's going to be over one thousand of these things now. . Relax, find a new friend to bring along this time, enjoy yourself. Then hope your fave will be back next year. Or skip all those steps and Sword/Shield and just do the last bit for a year.There are other options

One person said that about fangames. Also considering that Megas are just out for seemingly good it'll be a lot more than 1 gen without mega heracross.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah sw/sh is sounding like a hard pass for me. vote with my dollar, meager as it may be. i'll get re:dppt though

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm gonna miss Mega Heracross too but I'll live with him not being available in one title just like I lived through every other monster, variant, or feature that hasn't made the jump between generations. It's sad, but the whole reason this has to happen is that there's going to be over one thousand of these things now. There are other options. Relax, find a new friend to bring along this time, enjoy yourself. Then hope your fave will be back next year. Or skip all those steps and Sword/Shield and just do the last bit for a year.

No megas, no z-moves, constant cutting of well received features in favor of supposedly prettying up the graphics and not even doing that in practice but you insist it is because of merely the lack of national dex.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’ll be real I don’t see what there is to miss about Z moves.

Megas sure, losing a mega is almost like losing a whole evolution. But Z moves aren’t close to as exciting.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

qnqnx posted:

No megas, no z-moves, constant cutting of well received features in favor of supposedly prettying up the graphics and not even doing that in practice but you insist it is because of merely the lack of national dex.
I count Megas among those lost to the National Dex. They're basically different Pokemon. I literally mentioned one in my post. And if you're a Pokemon fan and you're not used to well-received features coming and going like the tides by now then maybe this isn't the series to be attached to.

Graphics I don't care about and Z-Moves I did not mention so I accept that and I apologize to any die-hard Z-Move fans out there. I personally liked the hell out of the poses but gameplay wise I don't like them for much the same reason I don't care about Dynamaxing. But at least Dynamaxing is limited to stadiums so it (hopefully) won't be a constant thing.

Saagonsa posted:

One person said that about fangames. Also considering that Megas are just out for seemingly good it'll be a lot more than 1 gen without mega heracross.
I severely doubt it. If Megas aren't back for Super Sword and Super Shield then they're definitely coming back in whatever's next. They were the focus of Gen 6 and included in Gen 7, even in Let's Go which didn't need them. Pokemon loves ditching features and one-off monster forms but they're not going to get rid of an entire slate of marketable Pokemon designs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And if you're a Pokemon fan and you're not used to well-received features coming and going like the tides by now then maybe this isn't the series to be attached to.

Something being lovely for a long time doesn't excuse it from being lovely; people can get tired of features being cut at different rates, and the Pokemon themselves getting cut happens to be a common breaking point.

In my case, Pokemon games' lack of ambition wore me down with ORAS, USUM and Let's Go, and what SwSh has shown simply looks like it's following that trend, so I'm not buying these games.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kommo-o being OU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It gave gyarados a (one time use) good flying move, which really helps it out given that its only other attack for grass types is ice fang.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They should just rerelease Pokemon Colosseum/XD on the Switch to tie-in with Pokemon Go.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They should just rerelease Pokemon Colosseum/XD on the Switch to tie-in with Pokemon Go.
why do you make me dream impossible dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
and then give us Pokémon Colosseum III: Miror B's Ascendancy