Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

jony saw that one guy selling a $15,000 hourglass and figured he could take his scam solo. hes not gonna be selling anything other than overpriced oddities for idiots

More like $250,000 (this is a Jony Ive-designed ring)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Vomik posted:

they should bring in ballmer

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Looks like ringtutorial.blend

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Lambert posted:

More like $250,000 (this is a Jony Ive-designed ring)

"the inside is made of pure al-oh-min-ni-um"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Vomik posted:

they should bring in ballmer

wwddddc: we think you're going to love this company

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mac pro: designed in california, made in china

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they're manufacturing something in china?????

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Last Chance posted:

they're manufacturing something in china?????

Doesn't matter! Haven't you heard how greeeen Apple is?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
no one bought the last mac pro so they werent manufacturing in the us anyway

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

infernal machines posted:

oh are we back to the pre 10.8 days of just breaking ad integration with every update?

this is why we need google. they’d never break ad integration

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

"the inside is made of transparent al-oh-min-ni-um"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fiedler posted:

wwddddc: we think you're going to love this company

Vomik posted:

this is why we need google. they’d never break ad integration

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

graph posted:

ask me how i remember the exact point update

very carefully?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao tech journalists are swallowing this line that Jeff Williams has design skills because he was in charge of the watch.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

entertaining as it is to poke fun at jony i am now calling that his stupidly named company will wind up designing cool tactile things (drawing more from the way the imac g3 and clickwheel ipod happened than from the aluminum-slab'ification of present-day apple), and we all figure out it was actually apple corporate that sucked.

i want a return to the style and functionality of the g3 tower. probably one of the easier to use computer cases ive even seen

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
but that case was vulgar and colorful. as we know from jony, the only acceptable colors are white, black, grey, brushed aluminium, and rose gold.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

but that case was vulgar and colorful. as we know from jony, the only acceptable colors are white, black, grey, brushed aluminium, and rose gold.

jony did the multicolored plastic see through iMacs, iBooks, and towers.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

go play outside Skyler posted:

yes but as far as i've looked into it (which is actually really loving far) the hardware accelerated decoding is not available in any apps not made specifically for the pi

this is because the pi uses an obscure api for sending blocks to the gpu, which is called "omx". the docs are practically nonexistent and the only reference available is omxplayer

this is annoying because while the pi 3 is perfectly capable of decoding an h264 stream in 1080p, chromium and other browsers just poo poo themselves even on a simple 480p video

this seems to have been improved in the pi 4 (well, the api is probably the same, but the proc seems to be powerful enough now for YouTube video playback) so I am legit excited to get my hands on one

we have been trying to use the pi as a kind of enhanced digital signage player for years and this could finally be the nail in the coffin for intel nucs and compute sticks

e: googled it some more, omx stands for openmax, which seems like the kind of project with a great idea but implemented by around 3 people worldwide

guess it's been a while since we dug deep into that stuff and the docs seem better now.

however i don't expect anyone working on chromium to ever bother implementing omx into their pipeline

regular video players for linux will support the pi's weirdo offload setup -- multimedia apps like mplayer or kodi

firefox and google chrome will not

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

i want a return to the style and functionality of the g3 tower. probably one of the easier to use computer cases ive even seen

agreed, it's a thing of beauty

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i just want them to go back to making good phones with good software, but they haven't done that in nigh unto a decade now so whatever, let johnny ruin the products as a contractor

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

r u ready to WALK posted:

this vertical box offends me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

real talk the pizza box g3 has the meanest, most mid 90s compaq adjacent case design. i think i had to slide shove the cover on the last time i dusted mine off

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Jesus christ what a monster. So much power they had to add a little computer case onthe side to hold it all

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Apple just put a picture of a dead toddler on my screen with no warning or required click-through. great job.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Americans being confronted with the consequences of their politics seems fine to me.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
^ oh poo poo, the edginess! clearly not designed by Sir Jony!

since Ive's/Apple's PR team worked overtime on that whole "jony's toilet design got rejected in 1994 so he went to Apple instead", I kinda want some toilet company to troll him and commission then reject a FromLove™ toilet

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the margins are so tight on the pro theres really no choice

also lol the minimum wage workers stopped working when their shift ended, outrageous

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
the united states is truly a difficult environment for manufacturing. there are no company dorms to sequester workers. the workers actually physically leave the factory after laboring for a set number of hours - frequently only eight hours. you can see how an apple manufacturing supervisor would find this all quite unsettling.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fiedler posted:

the united states is truly a difficult environment for manufacturing. there are no company dorms to sequester workers. the workers actually physically leave the factory after laboring for a set number of hours - frequently only eight hours. you can see how an apple manufacturing supervisor would find this all quite unsettling.

that, and there aren't any suicide nets on factories

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

better for the life insurance payouts that way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

that, and there aren't any suicide nets on factories

American firms don’t care if their employees are committing suicide

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

American firms don’t care if their employees are committing suicide

“millennials are ruining small businesses by committing suicide”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
millennials are ruining the retirement village industry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poo poo garbage

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

this vertical box offends me

Sewer trash.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

please post examples of good computers so we can avoid offending your delicate senses in future postings

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Example of a good computer:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

this is the best looking computer, don’t even try to argue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps