Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I used to watch Zoom when I was a kid in the 90s. I remember an adult telling me that they used to watch the 70s Zoom when they were a kid. I'm now old enough to tell some kid I watched the 90s Zoom. Where the new Zoom!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I used to watch Zoom when I was a kid in the 90s. I remember an adult telling me that they used to watch the 70s Zoom when they were a kid. I'm now old enough to tell some kid I watched the 90s Zoom. Where the new Zoom!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XanjZw5hPvE

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

WB is releasing the complete original Scooby Doo series on Blu-ray on Sept. 3. A set of the almost-complete "Scooby Doo Movies" just came out.

I'm hoping this means they're going to dip more into classic theatrical animation because it's a bit ridiculous that Scooby Doo gets two Blu-ray sets and they haven't even released Tex Avery cartoons on DVD except for a mediocre Droopy set literally a decade ago. Not to mention quitting Looney Tunes after 3 1/2 volumes and Tom & Jerry after one, though at least the color Popeyes are doing well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fuuuuck yes. I was wondering if they'd ever do it. I am legit pumped.

Would love Flintstones, too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My Sony laserdisc player came in today! The eBay photos looked good, but I honestly wasn't expecting the thing to look brand new. Then, I fully expected it to croak after a few seconds. Works flawlessly.

Only problem I'm having is that it seems like my 15-year-old Dazzle device isn't working correctly, so I can only get video. I was worried the audio was messed up, but I was able to use an RCA stereo to 3.5" jack to confirm the audio works fine. And I'm actually shocked by how amazing laserdisc audio sounds, even out of my crappy PC's speakers.

I was going to get it hooked up to my TV, but it turns out my Samsung needs a 3.5mm to RCA composite adapter. Not surprised since I can see why the maker of a UHD display wouldn't bother with built-in composite or component inputs, but now I have to wait for that to deliver.

These are from Criterion's 1986 CAV edition of The Magnificent Ambersons. While there's obviously no comparison to the gorgeous 4K-restored Blu-ray from last year, I'm actually kind of shocked by how good it looks.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout are doing the 80s Blob in October. One more OOP Twilight Time release back in print.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Liar Lyre posted:

Shout are doing the 80s Blob in October. One more OOP Twilight Time release back in print.

Hell yea.

Unrelated, but the people on the bluray.com forums believe that the seemingly cancelled Hellboy UHD is now back on for sometime in October. I haven't been able to find proof myself.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Shout is also doing The Devil Rides Out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Liar Lyre posted:

Somewhere Joe Lynch poo poo his pants in joy.

Also, I did as well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always liked the 80s Blob over the original.

Is Rob Zombie's ever gonna happen?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Man, don't give Rob Zombie The Blob. Give Rob Zombie a full-length Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill reboot. Just 90 straight minutes of Redneck body horror bullshit and Stephen King still stars in it.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 27, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Man, don't give Rob Zombie The Blob. Give Rob Zombie a full-length Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill reboot.

They already gave it to Richard Stanley and it's gonna star Nicolas Cage. So yea, that's gonna be.....something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

They already gave it to Richard Stanley and it's gonna star Nicolas Cage. So yea, that's gonna be.....something.
* 5 minutes into Lost Soul
What are they talking about? This guy seems perfectly lucid to me
*6 minutes in
"And so I hired a witch doctor, but he didn't shield his workshop properly and so he got cancer and died...."

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout are also doing Omen 1-4 plus the remake in a boxset. 4K transfer on the first one to boot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Weird to see them even acknowledging 4.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a digital code for Batman: The Complete Television Series that I do not intend to use. If anyone has any digital codes lying around, maybe we could make a trade over PMs?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

FancyMike posted:

The Devil Rides Out

:stoked:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The Criterion Sale has begun! Now through 8/4. I’m gonna go broke.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

The Criterion Sale has begun! Now through 8/4. I’m gonna go broke.

OH god, same

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd kinda reached that point where I felt ok with the Criterions I owned and didn't have a huge wishlist anymore but that was like over a year ago and there's been a bunch of enticing releases since then. So yea, it might be a rough month on my bank account.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think I need help picking a Criterion order, as I have none, and I can't just buy only the Cronenberg movies.

No Wes Anderson, I've determined that I really don't like any of his movies, and Criterion apparently have all of them.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

are Arrow releases usually region free? I need that Bava set

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I think I need help picking a Criterion order, as I have none, and I can't just buy only the Cronenberg movies.

No Wes Anderson, I've determined that I really don't like any of his movies, and Criterion apparently have all of them.

Can't go wrong with Kurosawa.

Aside from Kurosawa though, two of my absolute favorite Criterions are Stalker and McCabe & Mrs. Miller. Two incredibly immersive but also very very different films.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

what kind of movies do you like? there's a pretty huge variety and some just aren't for everybody

some that I'd recommend to anybody:

Seven Samurai
Night of the Hunter
F for Fake
House

e: Night of the Living Dead!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea that Night of the Living Dead release is totally essential for anyone who has any interest at all in horror. It's like a totally new film, probably one of the most successful restorations they've ever done, maybe only topped by the Apu Trilogy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

are Arrow releases usually region free? I need that Bava set

Sometimes but not often enough. That Bava set appears to be UK-only.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
anyone reading this thread should go region free IMO, the only audience it doesn't benefit is "people who want to save their money"

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

Iron Crowned posted:

House is a must have. I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed in it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

FalsePriest posted:

House is a must have. I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed in it.

House rules. I’m thinking of grabbing it this go around. This is the sale directly through Criterion, right? Or is it Barnes and Noble?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Boywhiz88 posted:

House rules. I’m thinking of grabbing it this go around. This is the sale directly through Criterion, right? Or is it Barnes and Noble?

Barnes and Noble.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does the new Do the Right Thing blu-ray have the yellow tint?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

RoninFlix flash sale! Go buy Hardware.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

RoninFlix flash sale! Go buy Hardware.

Buy hardware and the church

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I like that their 4th of July sale ends before it's even July. I ended up paying about 40 bucks for the previous Hardware blu-ray a year or two back.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Does the new Do the Right Thing blu-ray have the yellow tint?

I'm wondering this too, pre-ordered it and I'm really hoping it's the original warm color grading, it's so important to the feel of the film.

Also bought Funny Games, Police Story 1 & 2, and that insane Ingmar Bergman box set that's probably going to take me years to get through!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ernest Dickerson supervised the new 4K, so it should look perfect.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Kino's release of Powell & Pressburger's Gone to Earth/The Wild Heart looks lovely:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/dvd_reviews_63/gone_to_earth.htm

And despite being an old transfer, Lost Highway looks good, too:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/losthighwayr4.htm

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Just a heads up some theaters will be showing Do the Right Thing tomorrow (June 30th) for its 30th anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Just a heads up some theaters will be showing Do the Right Thing tomorrow (June 30th) for its 30th anniversary.
Got my ticket! It came out the year before I was born so I've never gotten to see it in theaters.