Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dark Web 2 is just diet S&Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Unfriended 1 is superior

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Null of Undefined posted:

Hey sorry to bring back the F13 talk from a few pages ago, but did y'all literally forget the final scene of the first movie where a zombie child jason comes out of the water and attacks the final survivor?

The plot hole is how he went from a child to a full grown adult in the span of like 6 months but I always just attributed that to him being a deadite.

Here’s my pitch for Jason Has Risen From The Grave (Obviously): the Jason murders are now regarded as an urban legend, the deaths attributed to random psychos (like Roy the EMT). Camp Crystal Lake is now an 80s nostalgia/true crime museum where the moderately wealthy can pay to spend a night. Part of this is that they bring in an actor to play Jason and give the campers a good scare. Little do they know that the real Jason has been awoken and he’s pissed!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

amenbrotep posted:

Watch A Warning to the Curious asap if you’ve not seen it already, tbh that entire run of BBC productions is worth seeing.

e. also check out The Stone Tapes, and I will take a bullet before I stop shilling for The Pledge

Any more recommendations like this, I sat through Whistle and Stone Tape and really enjoyed them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kvlt! posted:

This is factually correct, but it's like Diet Dr. Pepper S&Man. Still pretty good!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
If they ever do another Friday the 13th, what they should do is another straight up, unironic, true to the roots slasher. No gimmicks or winks to the history, with a pack of teens/young dudes and dudettes going to Camp Crystal lake, and getting picked off one by one. Even if they have to call it Jason due to the lawsuits, don't mess with the formula or anything.

Infact, it works better if it is called Jason. About halfway into the runtime, the remaining campers plus their unconscious friend are holed up in a cabin. Everything is boarded up, and Jason is just on the other side. He's pounding, smashing windows, even punching through a wall or two. They're holed up in the last bedroom, trying to hold him off. All of the sudden, their unconscious friend starts convulsing, Alien-style. A familiar tune starts playing. All of the sudden, a blade pops out of him from the inside. Another, then another and another. As they push through him, a ethereal voice screeches "ROUND TWO BITCH". Late title card: Jason becomes Freddy vs. Jason 2

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MacheteZombie posted:

Unfriended 1 is superior

Definitely. I couldn't really care much for the sequel.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ok, I just finished it, why does the thread love Happiness of the Katakuris so much? Its unendingly bizarre, but also Tristram Shandies all over the place and has a halcyon, dreamlike quality unbounded by our reality-oooooooh

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Its unendingly bizarre, but also Tristram Shandies all over the place and has a halcyon, dreamlike quality unbounded by our reality-oooooooh

Oh no the one thing we hate here in the horror thread

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

Any more recommendations like this, I sat through Whistle and Stone Tape and really enjoyed them.

Penda’s Fen and Requiem for a Village come to mind. Haven’t seen it for a while but Polanski’s Cul-de-Sac is probably worth a watch too.

I’m sure you’ve seen it, but on the off chance you ought watch Witchfinder General too.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If they ever do another Friday the 13th, what they should do is another straight up, unironic, true to the roots slasher. No gimmicks or winks to the history, with a pack of teens/young dudes and dudettes going to Camp Crystal lake, and getting picked off one by one. Even if they have to call it Jason due to the lawsuits, don't mess with the formula or anything.

Infact, it works better if it is called Jason. About halfway into the runtime, the remaining campers plus their unconscious friend are holed up in a cabin. Everything is boarded up, and Jason is just on the other side. He's pounding, smashing windows, even punching through a wall or two. They're holed up in the last bedroom, trying to hold him off. All of the sudden, their unconscious friend starts convulsing, Alien-style. A familiar tune starts playing. All of the sudden, a blade pops out of him from the inside. Another, then another and another. As they push through him, a ethereal voice screeches "ROUND TWO BITCH". Late title card: Jason becomes Freddy vs. Jason 2

I'll one up you on that. End it the same as Jason Goes To Hell, we think Jason is finally done for and THAT is where you put the title card up. JASON WILL RETURN...AND SO WILL FREDDY and the sting of the Nightmare theme plays

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Miike is amazing. Like I'd love a button I could press that plays a random Miike movie that I haven't seen because there's so many and they're all over the map.

I always waffle on my favorite. Some days it's Dead or Alive 2. Some days Audition, some days Ichi the Killer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

Miike is amazing. Like I'd love a button I could press that plays a random Miike movie that I haven't seen because there's so many and they're all over the map.

I always waffle on my favorite. Some days it's Dead or Alive 2. Some days Audition, some days Ichi the Killer.

I don't watch all of 13 Assassins that often but drat of I don't throw on that last 30ish minutes a lot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Null of Undefined posted:

Hey sorry to bring back the F13 talk from a few pages ago, but did y'all literally forget the final scene of the first movie where a zombie child jason comes out of the water and attacks the final survivor?

The plot hole is how he went from a child to a full grown adult in the span of like 6 months but I always just attributed that to him being a deadite.

How many times do I need to link this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwXz8vDjOqg

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kvlt! posted:

I don't see how they're really similar at all. If anything Dark Web is diet The Den, but I think they do enough different to both be worthwhile.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Possible Hellraiser TV show in the works. Really not sure about this at all.

https://horrorpedia.com/2019/06/29/hellraiser-tv-series-is-being-planned/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this discussion was pages ago but at this point internet people misusing the term "plot hole" so much has made my brain unable to identify legitimate plot holes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Two thoughts on the past 10 pages:

- Tokyo Gore Police was great. Oddly, my dad bought it on DVD, and I don't think he ever finished it. He just gave it to me one day when I was at his house.
- New Nightmare is the worst entry in ANOES. It's no fun and boring. As bad as the later entries to the series got, at least Freddy being a one-liner comedian was somewhat entertaining. Scream is a much better film.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

T Bowl posted:

He didn't actually attack her. It's this weird "dream" thing where we assume what she heard from Mrs. Voorhees was enough to have her traumatically dream of him.

It's just a false scare that in there but also a pretty good one.

The entire serious is a loving disaster in logic, timeline, and continuity, just enjoy it for what it is..

Also listen to In Voorhees We Trust with Gourley and Rust

Chasin' More Pees.

In Voorhees We Trust is so great. I firmly believe their theory that Jason did drown, and was dead for the first movie, but the butt worm from part 9 reanimated him and aged him up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

M_Sinistrari posted:

B E A S T S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ybvkxtwFv0

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's a crystal lake by me i should go sink a life size jason there.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Twin Cinema posted:

Two thoughts on the past 10 pages:

- Tokyo Gore Police was great. Oddly, my dad bought it on DVD, and I don't think he ever finished it. He just gave it to me one day when I was at his house.
- New Nightmare is the worst entry in ANOES. It's no fun and boring. As bad as the later entries to the series got, at least Freddy being a one-liner comedian was somewhat entertaining. Scream is a much better film.

Scream is better than New Nightmare but I can't imagine wanting to watch Freddy's Dead instead of New Nightmare

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's a crystal lake by me i should go sink a life size jason there.

I passed a Crystal Lake sign on the way to a wedding at a Summer Camp in the middle of nowhere and frankly I was prepared to die.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deLiDLkQzio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Kks-EKGBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jB1L8Foe7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJMcm2dMe2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ChQQKM7zg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9j0VmqxRcI

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Scream is better than New Nightmare but I can't imagine wanting to watch Freddy's Dead instead of New Nightmare

Freddy’s Dead is wacky and bonkers in a way where I can see how someone would love it. New Nightmare still a strong third place in the series though (after 1 and 3)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

new nightmare is one of those movies that i feel gets more credit than it should because of the interesting premise. even as a youth i thought the execution was lackluster.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Miike is the best and just yesterday I realized he has 104(!) director credits

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJnuP2_yb8

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Freddy’s Dead is wacky and bonkers in a way where I can see how someone would love it. New Nightmare still a strong third place in the series though (after 1 and 3)

Love is a strong word for Freddy's Dead. After the first 3, 4-7 are rated on a declining scale.

Yes, I love 2.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
2 is great. the climax doesn't totally make make sense but the homoeroticism is super ahead of its time and the stuff with Freddy driving the bus is great.

And "You've got the body, I've got the BRAINS." is one of my favorite Freddy one liners

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

And "You've got the body, I've got the BRAINS." is one of my favorite Freddy one liners
yo Fred I think you got me all wrong
I ain't partners with nobody with nails that long

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Dead of Night (the show, but also the movie), Robin Redbreast, anything written by Nigel Kneale pretty much

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Twin Cinema posted:

Nah, the remake is the worst entry in the franchise, bar none. At least New Nightmare had Robert Englund in those hilarious sunglasses prattling on about painting Freddy Krueger because of dreams or WHATEVER THE gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's lame they never used one of the most interesting ideas that they talked about the documentary - freddy becomes such a joke kids gently caress with him in their dreams for fun and he accidentally kills one and so his power starts growing. can't remember which movie they made instead of that going with that treatment.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's lame they never used one of the most interesting ideas that they talked about the documentary - freddy becomes such a joke kids gently caress with him in their dreams for fun and he accidentally kills one and so his power starts growing. can't remember which movie they made instead of that going with that treatment.

I think Dream Warriors, in which case we got the better movie imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we did not, hence my post. (i also thought it was a later one.)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Tart Kitty posted:

Nah, the remake is the worst entry in the franchise, bar none. At least New Nightmare had Robert Englund in those hilarious sunglasses prattling on about painting Freddy Krueger because of dreams or WHATEVER THE gently caress

I like to pretend this one doesn’t exist as the eighth entry, and is its own thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

we did not, hence my post. (i also thought it was a later one.)

i dunno, people act like it's a big tragedy we didn't get that one but i don't really get what makes it such a great premise. it's certainly way less inherently interesting than Dream Warriors or New Nightmare.

I'd take it over The Dream Child i suppose.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 29, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not necessarily that it's a great premise, it's that it's a better premise than most of the movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not necessarily that it's a great premise, it's that it's a better premise than most of the movies.

i'd have to read the script but it doesn't even really seem like a premise so much as an opening scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone joked earlier about a dad that was in a ten year coma and was a protector against freddy in the dream realm when his kids started getting attacked, it sounded neat