Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not going to pretend that I can predict that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will have staying power, but some of these songs are following me to my grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ArfJason posted:

Yeah ive always felt the series sorta contrives ways to make shinji miserable. Oh you find unconditional love from someone else? You must murder him. You dont do anything and give in to your depression? The literal end of the world happens. You want to try and take initiative to save a person you truly care about? A smaller end of the world happens and everyone resents you for it i know a lot of it is anno calling out fans for being awful dumbfucks but still
life is pain

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Wrageowrapper posted:

A couple of Midwest nerds talk about Star Trek Discovery Season 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SHhySoXDcA

Discovery seems like a mess.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'll make note of that. I've heard it's good, but with critically acclaimed shows these days, you can never tell if you're going into something that's entertaining or something that's woke pandering.
I haven't seen Atlanta but isn't it just a show created by black people, for black people with black people starring in it. I don't see how that's woke pandering?

Jack Saint made a video about Jeremy Kyle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fd3pT82pRA
I love trash tv so I wish that there were more people doing videos about reality tv. I loved Jenny's cakeboss and terrible caveman competition videos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man, the Waypoints evangelion blind watch podcast is amazing. They appear to be doing 6-7 episodes per podcast with austin walker and cado being very familiar with the series while Rob, Danielle and Patrick are going in almost completely blind. They really dig deep into the social messaging of the series in a funny and educational way, for both people who are familiar and not. I'd definitely recommend watching eva along with them either to rewatch or for the first time, it'll definitely inform of some things that have been aped in a lot of series since then, anime or not.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not going to pretend that I can predict that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will have staying power, but some of these songs are following me to my grave.

Don't be a lawyer is amazing, and the dancer in red gives me life.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't the entire point of 3.33 that shinji going all burning hotbloodedness Gurren Lagann to save rei regardless of everything else was literally the worst possible thing he could have done and everyone hates him for being a gigantic fuckup because of it

It's been a while since I saw it and it was the first release so I'm probably misremembering things

Not exactly. The problem is that someone with an absolutely titanic amount of unexamined hatred for himself and the world temporarily got godlike power. Saving Rei was fine. Being ready and willing to burn down the world to save Rei? Not so fine. It's basically the same message as in Fate/stay night, that you can't be a hero with a death-wish, only articulated a little more clearly and directly.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

rudecyrus posted:

Discovery seems like a mess.

It....is, but it's also enjoyable if you like Star Trek but don't love it. If you don't care about Star Trek at all, you won't like it. If you care a lot, you'll hate it. You have to care just enough, but not more to be on its wavelength. also use the extended Klingon scenes as piss/food breaks, for your own sanity.
the acting's good, Jason Isaacs is great in the first season, Michelle Yeoh is having the TIME OF HER LIFE, Doug Jones makes his character maybe my favorite Star Trek character (and then season 2 kinda does some ill-advised stuff with him), and Anson Mount's Christopher Pike is what made me realize I'm bisexual. so there's that.

on the topic of Lindsay Ellis' GoT video, she talked about the "Golden Age of Television", but I kind of think it ended a few years ago, or at least mutated. I think maybe the end of Breaking Bad was the end of the era, and the era we're in now is one where programs with a comedic bent are where the great stories are being told now. Which is not to say prestige drama is dead, per se, but what compares to Atlanta, to Barry, to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, to BoJack Horseman, to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, to Veep, to You're the Worst, to Better Things, to Fleabag?

or maybe it's just that really masculine prestige stuff has fallen off a cliff. the most praised prestige is The Handmaid's Tale, Big Little Lies, among some circles The Good Fight. Killing Eve. This Is Us is a weepy melodrama!

Game of Thrones ended in a very different environment than it began, and among other things didn't adjust to it. It so abused its audience's trust that people don't even talk anymore about Jaime raping Cersei that one time because the amount of objectionable poo poo since then has piled up too much. it made a play at being socially relevant, and at being empowering for women, but then...*gestures vaguely* all this. They're executing a plan put in place a long time ago, in a TV galaxy far far away. and I don't think it's a coincidence it's two men and a pretty fundamentally masculine drama show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sarcopenia posted:

Jack Saint made a video about Jeremy Kyle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fd3pT82pRA
I love trash tv so I wish that there were more people doing videos about reality tv. I loved Jenny's cakeboss and terrible caveman competition videos.

a while back i was looking for an old hbo documentary on talk shows called "talked to death" but couldn't find it. searched a week or so ago and found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPwvKfx4Dhg

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Not exactly. The problem is that someone with an absolutely titanic amount of unexamined hatred for himself and the world temporarily got godlike power. Saving Rei was fine. Being ready and willing to burn down the world to save Rei? Not so fine. It's basically the same message as in Fate/stay night, that you can't be a hero with a death-wish, only articulated a little more clearly and directly.

When I was watching it with a few friends a couple years ago we hit on the realization that the climax is Shinji becoming his father, a man who will sacrifice anything and everything to see the one person he connected to again.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

One of the consequences of the Golden Age of Television in Portugal is for some Telenovelas to attempt some of the structures on it. Now while this isn't necessarily bad, you get the jarring effect of seeing really, really modern techniques of lighting or camera angles and ""Emotional Maturity"", which the latter just translates to "A Grandma can be a villain and actually face consequences like more immediate than waiting for 99% of the plot to elapse like what if spite was an act of edging", it also falls into the pratfalls of it being still a Telenovela so it means the lead just spoils his entire arc on the news program and every lovely tv guide magazine spoils in months advance whatever story beats it has. At least you have to make an active search before youtube tells you the spoilers of whatever show you're watching.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spatula City posted:

on the topic of Lindsay Ellis' GoT video, she talked about the "Golden Age of Television", but I kind of think it ended a few years ago, or at least mutated. I think maybe the end of Breaking Bad was the end of the era, and the era we're in now is one where programs with a comedic bent are where the great stories are being told now. Which is not to say prestige drama is dead, per se, but what compares to Atlanta, to Barry, to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, to BoJack Horseman, to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, to Veep, to You're the Worst, to Better Things, to Fleabag?

Breaking Bad was full of incidental, black and even slapstick comedy in order to build levity so that the hard moments would hit as hard as they did. So really it's more a evolution along the same track it staked out. Build sympathetic characters, put them in wacky situations, transition from wacky to dramatic, tear down the character, repeat.

Bojack Horseman and Breaking Bad are very similiar now that I think of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i watched a couple of philosophy tube videos and while his production is top notch the videos are far longer than they should be considering the actual content. i'm guessing he's a drama kid that is happy he's got a platform to perform on?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You might like his older videos better. They’re much more of a brief lecture format.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Max Wilco posted:

I caught a bit of Ms. Maisel while someone was watching it, and there was a scene where this lady (Alex Borstein, I think) goes, "It been a real 'suck my donkey dick' kind of day." I didn't watch the whole thing, but that scene made me think it was worth checking out in full at some point.

Plus it has Tony Shalhoub in it, and he always elevates anything he's in.

Your impression was accurate!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

To this day I never quite got the rabid adoration for "THE MANNIS" that people exhibited, especially when everything about him pointed to him being on a bullet train to eventual self-destruction and generally an Awful Person. I think, much like Dany, Stannis on the show landed in the rough vicinity of where his arc was meant to conclude in the books, just on the same nose-dive trajectory.

But yeah, the show protested too much about Dany being a Good Person and didn't question her doing evil things to evil people until the last possible second and just railroaded her into being a monster when it otherwise looked like she was actually going to win the heavenly coin flip. But Dany going bonkers in and of itself is probably the least of Season 8's issues in the grand scheme of things.

I know when GoT first started, D&D said they had the endings for the main characters spoiled to them by GRRM "just in case" he hadn't finished the books by then. :laugh:

Did they ever specify how much detail GRRM gave them, who was included in the spoiling, or if they committed to those endings in the face of fans guessing what was going to happen years before the show started?

I was wondering because of all characters, Dany was definitely left in the most precarious spot, characterization-wise, with the end of book 5. Her plotline the entire book was her debating if she was truly going insane or if it was her deep-rooted personal anxieties manifesting themselves; in addition, she was also just to coming to the realization that going around topping established power structures with dragon barbecues when you don't have a long-term plan for the aftermath actually turns to poo poo fast, even if you're doing it for reasons you've self-justified as benevolent. Of all the character endings in the show, the exact execution of Dany's reads the most like a dive for the sake of a cynical twist than anything you'd expect or that GRRM would've wanted for the character, even if he did plan for her to die in some way by the end.

And then you have, like Lindsay and Angelina said, the very indulgent fanservice of CLEGANEBOWL that flies in the face of all prior characterization or the logic of the book-established trajectories for the characters. As much fun as it was to have Sandor around to drop catty (doggy?) remarks for longer, his ending on Quiet Isle was exactly what it should have been.

Stannis was absolutely going to smack face first into a brick wall and self-destruct the whole time though, and thank god for that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
One thing this analysis of GoT reminded me of is the difference between True Blood the HBO TV series and the first ten Southern Vampire Mysteries, which I've read.

I'll try not to spoil the two in case anybody cares to watch/read them and hasn't already, but one fundamental difference was in characterization: namely, the series of romance novels were all written from Sookie's point of view, meaning that other characters would come (LOL) and go as relevant to her development, and any development they had was in service to expanding the world in which she was having her sexy supernatural adventures.

But you can't really do that in an ensemble TV show, because people get attached to many of the characters, plus you've already spent a lot of money on them, so while Sookie is still clearly the main protagonist, she isn't as much the center of the show as of the books, and others become way more developed and persistent.

Another thing is that you get feedback from the audience episode by episode, and season-by-season if you've split it up a bit, in a way that you don't in a whole book. If you've already decided a character is going to die, by the time it gets to the reader, the book has killed it, even if they're not at that page yet; but if you realize four episodes in that people really like a minor character, you have the pressure to make it less minor or save it, because it's technically possible, and you're pressured to improve ratings when you can.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did they ever specify how much detail GRRM gave them, who was included in the spoiling, or if they committed to those endings in the face of fans guessing what was going to happen years before the show started?

They might have said more in the past few years but this is the most direct thing I've seen from them.

EW posted:

During the producers’ sit down with the author in Santa Fe two years ago, Martin famously sketched out a very rough plan of how he intends to end his saga in the books.

Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss tell EW those conversations included “three holy sh– moments” in particular.

The first: Stannis Barathon sacrificing his daughter Shireen — which was shown during the show’s fifth season.

The second: Hodor’s mind-bending origin story, which was revealed in Sunday’s hour. Martin has known the true meaning behind Hodor’s name since introducing the character in the first novel of the saga, A Game of Thrones.

And the third shocking moment?

“… is from the very end…,” Benioff teased.

I assume they're talking about Mad Queen Dany.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They might have said more in the past few years but this is the most direct thing I've seen from them.

I assume they're talking about Mad Queen Dany.

Neat! Don't know if I'd call the origin story of Hodor a massive "holy poo poo!" moment, but okay. Stannis sacrificing Shireen was shocking but not out-of-line with how poo poo was going for him. I'm still a going to hold off being confident that Dany going kill-crazy was planned the whole time unless they've said anything else, given how many weird twists there were in season 7/8.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stannis had the unfortunate luck to be pitted against a man with plot armour and twenty good men.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Don't know if I'd call the origin story of Hodor a massive "holy poo poo!" moment, but okay.

It opens up a lot of questions about the full extent of Bran's powers and the potential that it opens up that the show of course just ignores almost immediately afterwards.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArfJason posted:

Yeah ive always felt the series sorta contrives ways to make shinji miserable. Oh you find unconditional love from someone else? You must murder him. You dont do anything and give in to your depression? The literal end of the world happens. You want to try and take initiative to save a person you truly care about? A smaller end of the world happens and everyone resents you for it i know a lot of it is anno calling out fans for being awful dumbfucks but still

I think I read that Anno was depressed or something while making evangelion, or he made it during/after a particularly awful period in his life. One of the two.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One thing this analysis of GoT reminded me of is the difference between True Blood the HBO TV series and the first ten Southern Vampire Mysteries, which I've read.

I'll try not to spoil the two in case anybody cares to watch/read them and hasn't already, but one fundamental difference was in characterization: namely, the series of romance novels were all written from Sookie's point of view, meaning that other characters would come (LOL) and go as relevant to her development, and any development they had was in service to expanding the world in which she was having her sexy supernatural adventures.

But you can't really do that in an ensemble TV show, because people get attached to many of the characters, plus you've already spent a lot of money on them, so while Sookie is still clearly the main protagonist, she isn't as much the center of the show as of the books, and others become way more developed and persistent.

Another thing is that you get feedback from the audience episode by episode, and season-by-season if you've split it up a bit, in a way that you don't in a whole book. If you've already decided a character is going to die, by the time it gets to the reader, the book has killed it, even if they're not at that page yet; but if you realize four episodes in that people really like a minor character, you have the pressure to make it less minor or save it, because it's technically possible, and you're pressured to improve ratings when you can.

That bit about Westworld changing episodes because of reddit is bonkers. It’s just ruining your story for no good reason, as when the internet guesses something, it’s usually just because thousands of people are throwing out every guess possible and just brute-forcing every question instead of properly solving anything.

It explains everything about the second season of Westworld. Show runners falling in love with fan attention is a problem going back to Lost, at least. Just never go on reddit, guys.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if you don't want people figuring out your show, dump the season at once like everyone shoulda started doing after netflix.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

GrandpaPants posted:

It opens up a lot of questions about the full extent of Bran's powers and the potential that it opens up that the show of course just ignores almost immediately afterwards.

The only thing done dirtier than the Stark kids' warg powers in the show was Dorne.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Good Bad or Bad Bad time! The movie is Angry Kelly and features an incredible lead performance.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 29, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That bit about Westworld changing episodes because of reddit is bonkers. It’s just ruining your story for no good reason, as when the internet guesses something, it’s usually just because thousands of people are throwing out every guess possible and just brute-forcing every question instead of properly solving anything.

It explains everything about the second season of Westworld. Show runners falling in love with fan attention is a problem going back to Lost, at least. Just never go on reddit, guys.

season 1 of that show was great, 2 feels too much like the matrix sequels where it went up its own rear end and into a portal that also lead up its rear end.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Neat! Don't know if I'd call the origin story of Hodor a massive "holy poo poo!" moment, but okay. Stannis sacrificing Shireen was shocking but not out-of-line with how poo poo was going for him. I'm still a going to hold off being confident that Dany going kill-crazy was planned the whole time unless they've said anything else, given how many weird twists there were in season 7/8.

same. i honestly like the show up to season 7 and thats where the show gets stupid and bad. it has some ok/good moments still but its a muddy reflection of what it was.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Stannis was absolutely going to smack face first into a brick wall and self-destruct the whole time though, and thank god for that.

oh yeah. i just felt was kinda rushed at the end. i personally felt like the show did him dirty at times because i prefer the book stannis, but he was hosed either way and i liked his death in the show.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah. i just felt was kinda rushed at the end. i personally felt like the show did him dirty at times because i prefer the book stannis, but he was hosed either way and i liked his death in the show.

Stannis was one of the first casualties (lol) of running out of book material right when it mattered, I think. So much of his characterization relied on him trading more and more of his soul to the devil for a chance at winning, but being unwilling to compromise on anything else. The endpoint of his plot being that everyone abandoned him after he has burned his only child alive and dying in an ignoble battle "works" and if that is how The Winds of Winter is going to play out, it'd be fine. But the book will have a lot more time to build up to that point and possibly even from multiple perspectives since both Theon and Asha/Yara will be in his POV vicinity if things go down.

Evidently, the showrunners had that endpoint down in their notes, but like you said and as Lindsay's video points out for many other characters, GoT Stannis wasn't Book Stannis, and D&D didn't seem interested in considering how the changes in the adaption would alter the trajectory or pacing of his character in the tv show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Stannis was one of the first casualties (lol) of running out of book material right when it mattered, I think. So much of his characterization relied on him trading more and more of his soul to the devil for a chance at winning, but being unwilling to compromise on anything else. The endpoint of his plot being that everyone abandoned him after he has burned his only child alive and dying in an ignoble battle "works" and if that is how The Winds of Winter is going to play out, it'd be fine. But the book will have a lot more time to build up to that point and possibly even from multiple perspectives since both Theon and Asha/Yara will be in his POV vicinity if things go down.

Evidently, the showrunners had that endpoint down in their notes, but like you said and as Lindsay's video points out for many other characters, GoT Stannis wasn't Book Stannis, and D&D didn't seem interested in considering how the changes in the adaption would alter the trajectory or pacing of his character in the tv show.

yeah pretty much. great points.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stannis's fight with Ramsay has a lot more going on in the books thanks to all the other northern plotlines intertwining in Dance with Dragons. Wyman Manderly needs his time to shine, not getting all his cool poo poo omitted or given to other people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

season 5 should've been the northern conspiracy but nah need more time for ramsay the most-armored. they even shat on manderly after the battle of the bastards. ian mcneice would've been perfect as manderly.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Seasons 5 and 6 killed my enthusiam for the show so much that I didn't even think season 7 was that bad when I first saw it. "Oh neat," I thought. "At least I'll finally see how it ends." But I'm in no hurry to see season 8, and I also don't have much confidence that the next books will be all that good when they finally come out. Remember when people were like "just watch the show instead"? :laffo:

Terrible Opinions posted:

They somehow managed to make Dorne even worse than the books.

Dorne sounded like such a cool place when I was just reading the first three books. I was not prepared for double disappointment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

season 5 should've been the northern conspiracy but nah need more time for ramsay the most-armored. they even shat on manderly after the battle of the bastards. ian mcneice would've been perfect as manderly.

yeah. thats my issue with 5. it needed more plotting against ramsay and poo poo. instead its just ramsay running wild for 2 and half seasons until he gets eaten.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Solitair posted:

Seasons 5 and 6 killed my enthusiam for the show so much that I didn't even think season 7 was that bad when I first saw it. "Oh neat," I thought. "At least I'll finally see how it ends." But I'm in no hurry to see season 8, and I also don't have much confidence that the next books will be all that good when they finally come out. Remember when people were like "just watch the show instead"? :laffo:

Dorne sounded like such a cool place when I was just reading the first three books. I was not prepared for double disappointment.

i liked season 6 if only because it wrapped a bunch of stuff up and had some great moments. 7 sucked because it didn't live up to any of it. sure, littlefinger dying was good but did we have to watch him gently caress around for 2 seasons with no real plan. i mean he had a plan but he basically went full tzeentch at that point.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stannis's fight with Ramsay has a lot more going on in the books thanks to all the other northern plotlines intertwining in Dance with Dragons. Wyman Manderly needs his time to shine, not getting all his cool poo poo omitted or given to other people.

Wyman Manderly's Frey Pies and the delight he had in everyone eating them at the wedding was amazing, and the equivalent scene in the show was such a letdown by comparison.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Seasons 5 and 6 were the worst of the show, if only because season 7 and 8 dove straight into unintentional comedy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hmm not sure why lindsay even made this first video. it didn't say anything new.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Groovelord Neato posted:

hmm not sure why lindsay even made this first video. it didn't say anything new.

Sometimes when you feels strongly about something you just gotta express it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

its a mix of she wanted to put everything everyone has said in good easy to understand format and she wanted to say it better than she said on twitter. and next vid will be the deep dive.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Seasons 5 and 6 were the worst of the show, if only because season 7 and 8 dove straight into unintentional comedy.

i mean, i liked season 6 still but 5 ate rear end too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Sometimes when you feels strongly about something you just gotta monetise it