Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Should I play worlds with NPC's enabled? I know "should" is a weird phrase to use, but does it make the game more interesting?

e: I guess on that note, what are some good mods to enable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Should I play worlds with NPC's enabled? I know "should" is a weird phrase to use, but does it make the game more interesting?

Foldable shopping carts.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

IMO most of the NPC content is neat but extremely shallow for want of further development. Having an NPC buddy is an awkward proposition in a game where you want to relocate and move constantly, and AI is really dumb about fighting moving battles and kind of always has been. Meanwhile base building when I tried it was largely nonfunctional and involved my morons sitting around while I went and logged trees until I got a farm where I could give the NPC a bunch of seeds, and then they threw them on the ground and did nothing after saying they were going to plant them. I gave up on the base after that.

All the quests are neat if you haven’t done them before, though, and they’re pretty much all out of the shelters that are otherwise useless, so it’s probably worth enabling static NPCs at least. Plus it allows you to trade money for lessons, which is a way around books if you find the right teachers before you don’t need them, I guess.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

BlondRobin posted:

IMO most of the NPC content is neat but extremely shallow for want of further development. Having an NPC buddy is an awkward proposition in a game where you want to relocate and move constantly, and AI is really dumb about fighting moving battles and kind of always has been. Meanwhile base building when I tried it was largely nonfunctional and involved my morons sitting around while I went and logged trees until I got a farm where I could give the NPC a bunch of seeds, and then they threw them on the ground and did nothing after saying they were going to plant them. I gave up on the base after that.

So I don't know if this is just like, a total coincidence, but I just enabled NPCs and the first town I roll into is filled to the brim with turrets that are drawing tons of attention and giving me a lot of freedom to actually loot poo poo in town. In all my playtime I don't think I've ever seen a functional turret before now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dynamic NPCs suck real bad though, because you'll get some dude who appears out of nowhere to rob you with an AK-47 who will do a perfect burst fire where every shot hits you in the face if you attempt to fight back

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So I don't know if this is just like, a total coincidence, but I just enabled NPCs and the first town I roll into is filled to the brim with turrets that are drawing tons of attention and giving me a lot of freedom to actually loot poo poo in town. In all my playtime I don't think I've ever seen a functional turret before now

AFAIK there’s no connection between turrets and NPCs but I also haven’t played for months so at this point I’d believe it, either way, nice! Just remember to not get shot yourself!

I have lost a depressing number of characters to “let me just cut around this intersection- bulletbulletbullebulletbullet”

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Turret Corner Surprise is yet another in the massive list of reasons to do your first exploration pass of an area at night.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

There are a shitton of roadblocks(that come with random turrets) now that spawn all around, but at least they removed random minefields in the middle of nowhere. Now minefields are marked better and only spawn near/on roads.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Turret Corner Surprise is yet another in the massive list of reasons to do your first exploration pass of an area at night.

Nowadays I just make very good use of safe mode white lists and it’s not a problem. Turrets have to spend a turn locking on and IDing you, so if you step out and safe mode goes “turret” you can always walk back into cover without risk. The first time, at least.

With that said since the encumbrance rework made improvised armor and clothes worthless to the point where jeans, a jacket and a backpack is a crippling encumbrance, I do all my exploring at night anyway because fighting is a death wish until you get homemade armor.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
That meme where you peek out the starter shelter window and *you are being laser targetted!*

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Peachfart posted:

There are a shitton of roadblocks(that come with random turrets) now that spawn all around, but at least they removed random minefields in the middle of nowhere. Now minefields are marked better and only spawn near/on roads.

When you say "now," I'm still running a version from early April and haven't been too keen on upgrading after all the negative discussion around batteries and food and stuff, how long ago was this the case?

e: also, I'm on probably my "best" run right now, which is sort of pathetic because that basically means I haven't gotten bored and sprinted into my death. I've got a nail bat as a weapon but no armor, but my big find is an acetylene torch. What's the best method of converting this into more substantial metalworking, since I know a ton of the tools you need to make a forge also require you to have access to tools...you can only make by forging (unless you just happen to find them). There's also a garage nearby, so are there any really good vehicle tutorials aside from the wiki?

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 1, 2019

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

taqueso posted:

When does flatulence simulation land?

On the 13th space station.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy hell, I found a prison full of robots that I knew I was no challenge for, but nearby was a Zombie Bio-Operator, so I had the great idea to lure him to the robots. He managed to scrap four Riot Bots and two of the robots with 9mm guns on them before catching back up to me and killing me

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God drat this game really blows now.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Is that a general statement or did yet another thing change for the worse?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I still like it, but I play with aftershock and a number of other mods. Also the best tileset is default now, so thats a really positive change.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know there's been a lot of questionable changes but the improvements to Z-Levels, autopilot driving, user interface, crafting penalties and the ability to resume a craft partway through are all pretty good. Like yeah, they keep making bionics and mutagens harder to get and that sucks because they're some of the most fun toys in the game, but there's been a lot of changes for the better too, even if they're more subtle. Stamina needs a rebalance because it's too easy to get winded and die early on. Crouching for stealth helps escapes. The new options for generating electricity are nice to have. NPCs are more useful, even if I still probably won't bother with them myself.
I'm also going to list auto-sort zones even though that's over a year old now because it's still probably my favorite improvement since I started playing. :colbert:

So I can't say it's all been positive, but there's definitely been good sides to it. And some of the new mods are really pretty incredible.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I know there's been a lot of questionable changes but the improvements to Z-Levels, autopilot driving, user interface, crafting penalties and the ability to resume a craft partway through are all pretty good. Like yeah, they keep making bionics and mutagens harder to get and that sucks because they're some of the most fun toys in the game, but there's been a lot of changes for the better too, even if they're more subtle. Stamina needs a rebalance because it's too easy to get winded and die early on. Crouching for stealth helps escapes. The new options for generating electricity are nice to have. NPCs are more useful, even if I still probably won't bother with them myself.
I'm also going to list auto-sort zones even though that's over a year old now because it's still probably my favorite improvement since I started playing. :colbert:

So I can't say it's all been positive, but there's definitely been good sides to it. And some of the new mods are really pretty incredible.

you got a mod loudout recommendation? any in particular help with the annoying changes to bionics?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

A big flaming stink posted:

you got a mod loudout recommendation? any in particular help with the annoying changes to bionics?
Aftershock adds a bunch of convenience, including reintroducing some bionic-related recipes. Magiclysm I'm still trying to get a feel for but seems pretty fun and in-depth.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I only really got into this game pretty recently, so I probably don't know what I missed in terms of lovely changes, but I've been playing it pretty solidly for about three weeks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wolfechu posted:

I only really got into this game pretty recently, so I probably don't know what I missed in terms of lovely changes, but I've been playing it pretty solidly for about three weeks.
I got into it about two or three years ago and had a similar experience. Everyone said the game had lost its charm but I was hooked all the same. There's definitely been ups and downs but I obviously don't think it's become unplayable or anything.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I got into it about two or three years ago and had a similar experience. Everyone said the game had lost its charm but I was hooked all the same. There's definitely been ups and downs but I obviously don't think it's become unplayable or anything.

Yeah, I mean I'm having a blast. I tend to throw on nearly all of the mods that come with the launcher, and I started just in time to get under the wire and still have the dead people tiles installed. I really want to get into the retrodays set, but it's not quite doing it for me so far.

But yeah, I'm not trying to say the game is as good as it used to be, or that anyone is wrong or anything - just wanted to point out that as a newbie, the game is perfectly good fun. I know of various changes that probably were terrible to longer term players, but I can't miss what I never had.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i picked it up again about 3 months ago for a two-week binge and yeah, i had lots of fun all over again. the biggest difference between ye olde dayes and today is that there's a lot more stupid crap that can get in the way that feels really arbitrary, but if you avoid that stupid crap by hook or by crook, it's just as fun as ever.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

there's a lot more stupid crap that can get in the way that feels really arbitrary, but if you avoid that stupid crap by hook or by crook, it's just as fun as ever.

What are the best hooks and crooks to avoid the new stupid crap?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
if you don't like the bionic changes there are two mods I recomend. The one that adds the old self install back, and pair it with always safe autodocs. its basically old system plus. you can self install for the old skill based risks, or find an autodoc to put in the high failure stuff.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
are there any new solutions to inventory bloat, or do you have to rely on restraining your hoarding impulses?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

are there any new solutions to inventory bloat, or do you have to rely on restraining your hoarding impulses?

4 new kinds of batteries.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
auto sorting zones, now with auto tree cutting, repair, dissassembly, and fishing. it all really cuts down on the key presses all those tasks take.

works with npc's to, so having a budy who feeds you and makes logs is great. As is having your car fixed while you read/craft.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Is there anywhere I can read up on the ups and downs of the game's development, other than just combing through the thread? Been kinda casually following since before DDA. Is it still Granade or whatever being a twat?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There's weekly recaps of the commits posted to reddit so you can see who changes what.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

auto sorting zones, now with auto tree cutting, repair, dissassembly, and fishing. it all really cuts down on the key presses all those tasks take.

works with npc's to, so having a budy who feeds you and makes logs is great. As is having your car fixed while you read/craft.
Yeah, being able to tow a car in and tell NPCs to chop-shop the entire thing for raw parts is a pretty cool change.
https://gfycat.com/disguisedweepyladybug

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

drat you all for posting in this thread and making me reinstall.

Any quick tips for a dude who used to play the 0.C+ experimental builds from ~2 years ago?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

drat you all for posting in this thread and making me reinstall.

Any quick tips for a dude who used to play the 0.C+ experimental builds from ~2 years ago?

get your standard cudgel but don't expect it to make you an invincible god-emperor the way it did back in 0.C. be conservative and only raid houses on the periphery of towns until you are familiar with some of the new particulars. be really careful about encumbrance because that has changed a lot.

beyond that the basics are still the same. get cudgel, grind tailoring/crafting by cutting up sheets, make basic tools, make light survivor armor by hook or by crook, obtain many books, large amounts of food, and good light sources in the form of glowsticks, car dome lights, etc. read books, become god.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Awesome thanks!

I used to rush tailor 5 for leather body armor (+head/arms/etc). Leather patches being filthy kinda hosed up my first OP build (helicopter crash, non-bionic spec ops). It would have worked except detergent is a rare spawn. Am I missing something with the soap bars I’m finding in every bathroom?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Awesome thanks!

I used to rush tailor 5 for leather body armor (+head/arms/etc). Leather patches being filthy kinda hosed up my first OP build (helicopter crash, non-bionic spec ops). It would have worked except detergent is a rare spawn. Am I missing something with the soap bars I’m finding in every bathroom?

last i saw, you can make a washboard out of a plank and use it with soap or detergent (or make your own) to clean clothes

not super useful in terms of cutting up every pair of sneakers, but leather jackets and pairs of boots are still v solid leather sources

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did that, got it to work with detergent but not soap. I’m on the experimental build from October 12th.

E: If this is a legit bug, I’ll fire off a PR. Just want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
havent tried in a while so maybe they changed it?

i also saw a recipe for a washboard with a rag so i really dont know how any of its supposed to work now

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Washing kit is a washboard and a rag-alike, and I thought it lessened volume, but now I’m not sure.

Related question: https://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/search?q=Washboard is an example of CDDA Item Search being down for searches. Same result for the 0.C search. Is this a known issue or do I need to file a ticket somewhere?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'd file those tickets, both of those sound like legit bugs. and in the meantime, i'd just flatly turn off the filth system via mod, this isn't the only rough edge with it. i like what they were trying to do with it but the implementation has enough holes in it that it's more problematic than helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

havent tried in a while so maybe they changed it?

i also saw a recipe for a washboard with a rag so i really dont know how any of its supposed to work now

Soap and/or detergent definitely works with a sponge for cleaning 'hard' items like a riot helmet, did it last night. So I dunno, maybe save soap for those items, and detergent for fabrics.

E: Luxury RVs, if you find one, have a washing machine in them, which really takes the ballache out of it. Put the clothes in, set it going, come back a couple hours later.