Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
PRO DOTA 2: THE INTERNATIONAL 2019 EDITION

boredsatellite posted:

Why the gently caress are any of you missing any of the games

What is Dota 2?
Dota 2 is a popular free-to-play action RTS developed by Valve Software based on a custom map for Warcraft III. It features 5v5 competitive multiplayer with each player controlling a different hero chosen from a roster of 113, each with four or more unique abilities that allow them to move around the map, damage or disable opponents, or accomplish any other number of weird and wacky maneuvers. The ultimate objective of the game is to destroy a number of the opposing team’s defensive structures and, ultimately, the opposing Ancient. To accomplish this, teams acquire gold and levels for their heroes from various sources around the map, use that gold to purchase items to enhance their power, and clash with the other team to secure a greater advantage for their own side that they can hopefully convert into victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8neRiF9-k

What is Pro Dota 2?
Dota has a robust esports scene, with events running year-round and ranging from small online-only tournaments to huge invitational LANs with impressive prize pools. Valve involves itself with the pro scene by enforcing rules around team rosters and player mobility, as well as hosting the International, which has taken place in Cologne, Seattle, and Vancover. This year TI is heading to China and will be held in Shanghai, leaving North America for the first time since 2012. The Majors and Minors are organized through collaboration between Valve and various third party organizers such as PGL, MDL, Epicenter, Starladder, Dreamhack, and more.

Pro teams are structured around each player taking a role that very broadly denotes what kind of play is expected from them, with one player serving as captain (often, but not always, the one responsible for drafting the team’s heroes). These roles are carry, midlaner, offlaner, farming support, and hard support. Teams generally consist of players from the same geographic region (for Dota, these are the Americas, China, Europe, the CIS, and Southeast Asia) and are divisionally organized using those regions as well. Last year the addition of team coaches being able to be with the team during the initial Draft Phase was brought into Pro Dota, effectively giving teams an extra set of hands during preparations for the match.

What is The International 2019?
Once a year since 2011, Valve has hosted The International, the biggest tournament in the Dota scene by far. The International 2019 (TI9) main event will be held from August 20 - 25, 2019 at Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai and will feature the eighteen best teams in the world. This was the second year of the Dota Pro Circuit (DPC) and gave teams a tangible goal and way to see if they would be invited to TI by winning points at any Valve Major/Minor tournament. New to this year, all teams in each Major and Minor were able to earn points to qualify for TI (Last year the teams placing in the top four spots of each tournament across the DPC this year would earn points) and the Top 12 teams (up from top 8 last year) of the DPC would receive an invite to TI. The event will be preceded by a group stage from August 15 - 18, where two teams will be eliminated before making it to the main stage. At the end of it all, the top team will walk away with the lion’s share of nearly $25,309,5761 USD (and counting!), and will once again probably be the largest single prize pool in all esports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9SbPotbuU

Invited Teams:
Team Secret
Virtus Pro
Vici Gaming
Evil Geniuses
Team Liquid
PSG.LGD
Fnatic
Ninjas in Pyjamas
TNC Predator
OG
Alliance
Keen Gaming

More info coming very soon.

Cool! How Do I Watch?
https://www.twitch.tv/team/dotati

Lets talk about TI8
Ok so last year the unthinkable happened. OG actually won TI. That's right friends, N0tail, Ceb (7kingmad), Jerax, Ana, and pubstar Topson's names are all inscribed on the Aegis of Immortal forever. A quick recap, OG imploded shortly before TI last year, with former captain (and former best friend of notail) Fly and S4 leaving the squad to join EG. Ceb decided to step in to be a full time player (was standing in as a player previously after a roster shuffle) and old teammate Ana was brought back into the fold. Topson, a promising pubstar who had never played in a big lan before only smaller tournaments, was picked up as well. What resulted was a Cinderella run that gave us THE BEST Dota 2 Grand Finals of all time against Chinese power house: PSG.LGD. Going to a full 5 game series for the first time since the legendary Navi vs Alliance finals in 2013, OG was able to claim victory even when all hope was seemingly lost. I was at TI last year and it was a surreal-out of body experience watching OG pull it off. Chinese fans were literally chanting "GO HOME OG!" after LGD took two games in the grand finals. As always Valve has provided an amazing documentary on the finals. If you love watching competitive gaming and want to get into Dota 2, then you owe to yourself to watch this amazing run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv4CqIxqTMA

OG commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-BijDwr1r0

nahaz ruined by peter dager

Last thread stats:

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
reserved

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Please add the twitch clip of ppd saying they got pizza instead of prepping to play og and then losing to og to the op. Tia

https://streamable.com/leox6

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am glad Grimstroke won TI9 grand final games, IMO

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 25, 2019

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Invited Teams:

Alliance

FeelsGoodMan

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Chaos Esports is going to win TI after beating Liquid in Loser's Finals and then going on to beat Vici Gaming in Grand Finals

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
It's the most wonderful time of the year. I love the dota 2 computer game. god help me.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
What hours will the actual TI games be on for people in Pacific/Eastern time? Probably like 9-10PM Eastern then going throughout the night, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Last thread stats:

get on my level, casuals

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

emdash posted:

What hours will the actual TI games be on for people in Pacific/Eastern time? Probably like 9-10PM Eastern then going throughout the night, right?
Probably, yeah. They'll presumably start the day at 10-11am, and 10am Shanghai time is 7pm Pacific/10pm Eastern.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are there even enough people playing this dumb game to fill the arena

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

?? when does this game come out on switch

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Really excited for VP and Secret to not win TI again

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/OGesports/status/1145349224420249606

Within a second of the video starting I could tell whatever he had was loving with his ability to eat

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

https://twitter.com/OGesports/status/1145349224420249606

Within a second of the video starting I could tell whatever he had was loving with his ability to eat

goddamn he looks all banged up

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
What's the meta at the moment?

I'm only a casual viewer and it can take ages for me to really start enjoying TI when I don't understand the deeper level of strategy/tactics going on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

fez_machine posted:

I'm only a casual viewer and it can take ages for me to really start enjoying TI when I don't understand the deeper level of strategy/tactics going on.

Well a new patch just dropped today so there’s about to be a fresh new meta for the qualifiers.

Just a note on the meta:

Whatever the meta is now, or in a few weeks leading up to TI, the ti meta will 100% be completely different.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
am i crazy or didn't they say in truesight 8 reveal that director's cut of it would be out "soon" ??? so is that just never coming out or what... wasnt there some talk their filmed OG after TI9 at some tournaments also or smth.. wtf

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So is the Artifact championship concurrent, an offsite event, or...?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is the Artifact championship concurrent, an offsite event, or...?

replaced with underlord championship

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Dota strategy is hard to follow because most of it is based on timings and power spikes, which requires you to know about a lot of different heroes and how they’re influenced by item and talent builds and by the other heroes on their team — and then in any particular game all of that might be completely swamped out by a few critical outplays or just some sheer chaos.

Like if I had to tell you why VG won Game 5 of the major grand finals just now, I could probably spin you a pretty good story about strategy in retrospect, but I doubt I would’ve known what to look for in advance, or even as it was happening.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hoping and praying for an all EU/NA final so we see creative camera work to not show an empty arena

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

tote up a bags posted:

Hoping and praying for an all EU/NA final so we see creative camera work to not show an empty arena

unironically this would rule

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

fez_machine posted:

A) Play any hero. B) Make sure to press your buttons. C) Hope your team feeds less than the opponent.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

techies meta

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tote up a bags posted:

Well they'll have 8 teams there so it's a good start.

10 if you count CIS.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
gonna get this out of the way

BLEED BLUE

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thinking about it, even though they're SEA you could see a pretty empty arena if TNC goes deep as well.

I know what I'm rooting for :haw:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The current meta is "whoever takes a lane of barracks first loses to the counterpush."

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Prize pool has surpassed 2018 with six weeks until the tournament.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The double bundle probably had a lot to do with that

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Hope that we have a SEA team poo poo on all the Chinese teams before winning TI

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sampatrick posted:

Hope that we have a SEA team poo poo on all the Chinese teams before winning TI

:getin:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Tnc is going to choke at TI because they always do

Just like VP and secret

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Tnc is going to choke at TI because they always do

Just like VP and secret

remember that year OG choked losing games to MVP and TNC? I feel like TNC are in a similar position where they'll go Top 8 taking out one big name when they're feeling overconfident

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
TNC will choke at TI because Kuku is going to mysteriously not get his visa approved/get sick just before groups/have a pack of wild dogs randomly devour him in his hotel bed.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Chinese OQ stacks:
Burning/YYF/Longdd/Blink/Iceice "Team Solid"
ZSMJ/Axx (best female dota player from China)/Sansheng + 2 "Team Gas"

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
when is bot TI

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005