Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
What about a single-output switching power supply?

For example, MeanWell HRP-450-15 can do 30A @ 15VDC (output is adjustable between 13.5-18VDC.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Frank Dillinger posted:

Are there any good car battery chargers that can maintain 30A steady or maintain 14Vwithout any fuckery and don’t cost 1500?

I got one on wheels that can probably do it, you in KY?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

revmoo posted:

I got one on wheels that can probably do it, you in KY?

Sadly, I live north of the wall, in the desolate wastelands of the prairies. A straight up single-voltage powersupply probably won’t be safe, as A) it will probably boil a battery on me if I’m not careful, and B) it will sometimes be attached to a lithium battery instead of a lead/acid or AGM, so it can’t ever, ever ever exceed 14.2 for some reason (thanks, Mercedes)

as someone above said, if I have a car with KOEO, a full 25A charge rate is free not enough to supply all the modules AND bring the battery back from a low state of charge at the same time. A piggyback battery would do the trick, but I’m somewhat space limited and ideally this charger will be mounted to a tool cart for mobility. There are chargers available to me that do what I need, but they are Gucci tool brands (Snap-On) or corporate sales only (Midtronics, not cheaper than Snap-On)

I’ll investigate marine chargers, as that seems like the closest “cheap” option so far. It’s amazing that there is this huge gap between consumer 5-20A chargers and “pro” 30+ chargers.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well, I don't recommend this (as in, that is the disclaimer) but I was able to update all body modules with a standard battery charger and a little bit of patience.

There were two modules I think I couldn't do on the charger. Telematics and the instrument cluster. For those I just had the car idle.

When updating, DAS will give you a readout of the battery level as it is updating and warn you. Most of them hardly take anytime at all.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok you guys were clearly accurate about the dudes parting out Milwaukee tool kits. Got my $25 charger.

One thing I'm noting right away--my battery has been on the charger like three hours and it's still at one square of charge. My Ryobi lithiums would have been fully charged over two hours ago. This tells me that there is a significant difference in the amount of angry pixies that the Milwaukee batteries can hold.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

revmoo posted:

Ok you guys were clearly accurate about the dudes parting out Milwaukee tool kits. Got my $25 charger.

One thing I'm noting right away--my battery has been on the charger like three hours and it's still at one square of charge. My Ryobi lithiums would have been fully charged over two hours ago. This tells me that there is a significant difference in the amount of angry pixies that the Milwaukee batteries can hold.

Maybe angry pixies are wary of Milwaukee batteries and have to be coaxed in.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There’s a rapid version of the m12/18 combo charger, but it whines when in use. Is that the pixies?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I always forget to take pictures (mainly since I don't want to grease/ruin my phone), so I don't have any pictures. I have a video of me lowering the car though.. :v:

Anyway, QuickJack:

Bought the 12v one (only one that they sell) at Swedish Biltema and It very much is a case of buy once - cry once (hopefully). It was a poo poo-ton of money of money to spend, so the question is really if it's worth it. TL:DR: In my opinion for my situation, the answer is very much yes. Especially since I hate jacking up cars.

I do all the maintenance that I can do myself, and with parts/labor prices being high in Sweden I do save a ton of money doing it. I also find (when I can take my time and have music blasting) it relaxing to work on cars, so it goes under the "hobby" column in the budget I guess. The garage I have to work out of is deep, but not very wide or tall, which means that normal lifts are ruled out. The floor couldn't take it anyway. It's certainly very doable to be working on cars in there, but jacking them up properly is not practical, and I almost always end up only jacking up on side of the car to low/medium height on the jack stands I have.

I considered getting one of those scissor lifts that sit in the middle of the car, but they limit access and go for about $1k used anyway. After looking at tons of QuickJack videos, and reading all their FAQ's I decided that this was the way to go. A huge bonus is the mobility and the fact that it can be used pretty much everywhere that's not on inclines, including on gravel which the driveway/front area is surfaced with at the house.

Installation was very easy, just follow the instructions to the letter and don't "jump the gun". Only thing that was wrong was the capacity for the hydraulic fluid. Using the QuickJack, I have much more room to work now. Having all four corners of a car raised higher than my jack stands can go is very refreshing and helps. A job that I previously attempted (dog bone mount) and failed due to limited space and leverage now went without any problem. Working around suspension/brakes/wheels is much more comfortable than before, and is now actually enjoyable. I'd say that it pretty much takes the same time for me to get the car lifted fully on the QuickJack as it takes me to lift one/two corners with a jack and jack stands (depends on the car and if I have help), and despite the QuickJacks weighing 35kg a pop it's overall easier. Stability is good. The frames (at the top position) don't move at all when I rock the ~1100kg car sideways, moved slightly when rocking the 1300kg car. I have yet to try putting my Dads V70 (~1600 kg) on it. I think the slight rocking was in part due to stacked blocks and me using my own DIY pinch weld block. I'm 100% confident under the car though.

A huge personal bonus is the fact that I can work outside now. I put some 21mm plywood under the jacks, and have the car under the ridiculous 4x6 FlexTent that I bought for cheap at an auction. The only negatives with the QuickJack is the price and price of accessories. Right now I'm using scissor lift pads that I made a groove in for the pinch welds, but would like to get the proper QuickJack pinch weld adapters. Out of stock at the moment and €85 for 4 blocks though. Also, if I had the space and floor that could handle a proper lift that would enable me (192cm) to stand up and work under it, I'd get that over the QuickJack. But I also doubt that I could get all that sorted for the same price, or even close.

I did remember to do one quick lovely video while lowering the car, which shows (a bit) how much room there is etc. It's pretty much exactly how all the videos on YouTube are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwI0kibTaEI

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
As a fellow Scandihoovian, I thank you for this review!

I think they’re definitely on the short list if/when my new garage is ready.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Has it seemed like it'd be annoying to not have access to get under the car from the sides? When I'm working on anything from the firewall to the rear, I'm usually coming in from the side of the car. I've been close to getting the Quickjack for ~2 years but that's been my only hesitation. I keep imagining dropping a transmission or subframe and repeatedly coming in from the rear of the car to get under it while I've got trans jacks/etc under the front.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

bolind posted:

As a fellow Scandihoovian, I thank you for this review!

I think they’re definitely on the short list if/when my new garage is ready.

No problem. :)

Hypnolobster posted:

Has it seemed like it'd be annoying to not have access to get under the car from the sides? When I'm working on anything from the firewall to the rear, I'm usually coming in from the side of the car. I've been close to getting the Quickjack for ~2 years but that's been my only hesitation. I keep imagining dropping a transmission or subframe and repeatedly coming in from the rear of the car to get under it while I've got trans jacks/etc under the front.

Haven't thought about it really as I've always come in from the front or the back. I have never dropped a transmission/subframe though, but I plan on taking on future clutch jobs myself using the QuickJack. A guy on the UK Alfa Romeo owners forum claims used it when removing an engine on his Alfa 147 GTA, subframes etc when I PM:ed him about it. I don't really know how he did it though, but I guess it means he had access to everything.
On the car in my video I found that the frame on one side had came into slight contract with the front tire, but that's mainly due to my not realizing it when positioning and lifting. But that's a pretty short wheelbase car as well. You got plenty of adaptability when it comes to positioning the rubber blocks as the "trays" where you put them are pretty big. You could probably slide smaller things through the frames, but you basically have a tires width of non-accessible space along the sills. From memory I didn't think the frames came close to being in the way of the subframe etc.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have a ton of buffing and polishing to do on aluminum and chrome trim, so I'm getting started on setting up a workspace and I ordered some tools. I've got a buffer motor on the way, with a few reccomended wheels and compounds, and a cleaning brush for the wheels.

Any recommendations on what else I'll want? I was thinking a few drill mounted buffers for details, and some little hammers and dollies for small dings to hammer out if I can. Maybe a fine file or two in case of a big scratch. I'm assuming some of it is gone and will need professional help to come back, but if I can get most of it done in the basement I'll be happy.

Maybe I'll find some cheap trim at the junkyard to practice on.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I have a ton of buffing and polishing to do on aluminum and chrome trim, so I'm getting started on setting up a workspace and I ordered some tools. I've got a buffer motor on the way, with a few reccomended wheels and compounds, and a cleaning brush for the wheels.

Any recommendations on what else I'll want? I was thinking a few drill mounted buffers for details, and some little hammers and dollies for small dings to hammer out if I can. Maybe a fine file or two in case of a big scratch. I'm assuming some of it is gone and will need professional help to come back, but if I can get most of it done in the basement I'll be happy.

Mold stones

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/?searchterm=Mold+stone&hdrsrh=true

I'd use these over files for big scratches. Progressively higher grit after you reach a consistent surface. Files seem to bite in at the worst time for me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Very cool, I had no idea that was a thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm a quickjack fan. If I had to nitpick, I don't particularly like the way they plumbed everything (cheap crappy hose, NPT/JIC mixmash of fittings) but it's a good unit. I wished it went a little higher, but short of dropping the motor out of the 911, it's more than high enough to do everything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you regularly work on tiny cars, pay attention to the length of Quickjacks when collapsed. I have to raise the units a few inches before they will fit between the wheels of an MG.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:ohdear:

Just a shame it won't work my LED socket adapter.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

:ohdear:

Just a shame it won't work my LED socket adapter.

:drat:

Is that what it looks like? Is it geared inside? Who makes it? (GIS says it's a butane torch :lol: )

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

No gears. The bars you see are the linkage. the torque transfer is terrible, but if you need to get around a corner it might work. Sometimes.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I have an extra m12 charger that someone can have for the cost of shipping. For some reason my "tool only" m12 ratchet came with a charger and I already have a m12/m18 combo charger.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

slidebite posted:

I'm a quickjack fan. If I had to nitpick, I don't particularly like the way they plumbed everything (cheap crappy hose, NPT/JIC mixmash of fittings) but it's a good unit. I wished it went a little higher, but short of dropping the motor out of the 911, it's more than high enough to do everything.

Yeah I'm not qualified to review the fittings/hoses so I left that out. I got a few drops of hydraulic fluid leaks a couple of times, but other than that they don't fill me with distrust at least. I'm looking forward to trying the lift on the V70 and see how stable it is, but I think I'll be springing for the QJ pinch weld blocks before putting that much weight on it.
Have you tried stacking the large and small blocks? Seems a bit sketchy, but they insist on it being fine so I guess it should be. The car in my video is too low to fit both blocks. If I ever need more room I guess I could drive it up on some wood and then putting the QJ under it and stack the blocks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

:drat:

Is that what it looks like? Is it geared inside? Who makes it? (GIS says it's a butane torch :lol: )

And i forgot to go to loving princess auto, gently caress

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Ooooooooohohohohoho

Checkmate, Subaru engineers

Dare I?......

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^Holy :lol:^^

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah I'm not qualified to review the fittings/hoses so I left that out. I got a few drops of hydraulic fluid leaks a couple of times, but other than that they don't fill me with distrust at least. I'm looking forward to trying the lift on the V70 and see how stable it is, but I think I'll be springing for the QJ pinch weld blocks before putting that much weight on it.
Have you tried stacking the large and small blocks? Seems a bit sketchy, but they insist on it being fine so I guess it should be. The car in my video is too low to fit both blocks. If I ever need more room I guess I could drive it up on some wood and then putting the QJ under it and stack the blocks.
There is no problem stacking the blocks, its legit so don't be concerned about that.

I probably could drop the motor if I remove the intake while it's under the car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I connected all 4 together, a portal to heck opened up filled with billions of 10mm sockets.

I reached into grab a handful but they turned to milling chips in my hand.

Curse you Beelzebub :argh:

I had to double up on saftey glasses on this one.

I grabbed the socket with all might might and let er rip and she took all the gratatata's my gun'dgiv'r

All in all, extremely impressed. Seems like you need to keep them oiled, but for 2 bucks a piece i'm glad i bought all they had.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

Aaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Ooooooooohohohohoho

Nice choice of music.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

StormDrain posted:

For chrome I use 0000 steel wool, some wd40, finish with eagle one wadded polish. Some Tylenol for your elbow.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hah! I'll get a pic of the pile tomorrow. Its not a regular cleaning, this is a full resto. Plus some of it was stored in a bin and got some deposits on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

heh, wad polish.

Don't do it in your basement. buffing wheels degrade into an aluminum soaked fluff that takes years to completely get out of every nook and cranny.

Remember you're removing material. Chrome is just a thin coating, usually on pot metal, and once you've removed too much it's hosed.

Aluminum is a lot more forgiving, but it's usually better to leave large nicks than to try to level everything down to them, because it could make the area look "warped".

Depending on the shape of what you're doing, you can do a lot of the hard work with flap wheels like this. https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DAFE1R1210-120g-Flap-Wheel/dp/B00413QD9E/ref=sr_1_48?qid=1561860499&s=industrial&sr=1-48

once agaiin pimping my own polishing:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734747&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

e: hit up your paint supply store for some firm sanding sponges and some 800/2000/4000 grit sandpaper.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
https://youtu.be/V1koMdJdg60

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

slidebite posted:

There is no problem stacking the blocks, its legit so don't be concerned about that.

I probably could drop the motor if I remove the intake while it's under the car.

Thanks. It always takes me a few times to trust poo poo that could kill me, so it's reassuring to know that it works well. :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Damned interesting.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

heh, wad polish.

Don't do it in your basement. buffing wheels degrade into an aluminum soaked fluff that takes years to completely get out of every nook and cranny.

Remember you're removing material. Chrome is just a thin coating, usually on pot metal, and once you've removed too much it's hosed.

Aluminum is a lot more forgiving, but it's usually better to leave large nicks than to try to level everything down to them, because it could make the area look "warped".

Depending on the shape of what you're doing, you can do a lot of the hard work with flap wheels like this. https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DAFE1R1210-120g-Flap-Wheel/dp/B00413QD9E/ref=sr_1_48?qid=1561860499&s=industrial&sr=1-48

once agaiin pimping my own polishing:

https://forums.somethingawful.com

e: hit up your paint supply store for some firm sanding sponges and some 800/2000/4000 grit sandpaper.

I remember that polishing now, looks great. Here's a shot of the pile and an idea of what my unfinished basement looks like. I just got the desk set up and the floor has heaved so bad I'll have shim about a half inch on one of the legs. I don't care about a mess, it's around 900 square feet, mostly empty but with some storage around the corner and a couple of litter boxes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Crossposting this because you folks need some insanely discounted tools from Lowe's.

BeAuMaN posted:

Not sure what's going on at Lowes, but:

GearWrench Combination Ratcheting Wrench Sets

16-Piece Metric Reversible Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set: $36.91
(8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, and 25 mm)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-16-Piece-Metric-Reversible-Combination-Ratcheting-GearWrench-Set/1000972986

13-Piece SAE Master Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set: $40.61
(Fractional set 1/4 In. to 1 In.)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-13-Piece-SAE-Master-Combination-GearWrench-Set/1000972780

These normally go for uh... triple digit prices? Apparently a lot of Sunex tools (who made that automotive creeper earlier) were also heavily discounted.

Source: https://slickdeals.net/f/13186354-gearwrench-9602-16-piece-reversible-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-metric-36-91

Edit: Someone else linked a bunch of other tools that I don't have the time to look into (KD Tools is the old name for GearWrench)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-57-Piece-3-8-in-Drive-6-Point-SAE-Met/1000971730 $22.46
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-48-PIece-1-4-in-Drive-6-Point-SAE-Metric-Standard-and-Deep-Impact-Socket-Set/1000972450 $23.72
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-7-piece-Gear-Wrench-Mixed-Pliers-Set/1000972260 $30.67
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-114-Piece-Large-SAE-and-Metric-Ratcheting-Tap-and-Die-Set/1000972340 $72.06
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-15-Piece-Brake-Service-Kit/1000973728 $34.39
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-GearWrench-12-Piece-Insulated-Set-Screwdriver-Set/1000974010 $18.06

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any word on how long the sale is for? I got some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

um excuse me posted:

Any word on how long the sale is for? I got some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

No clue, but I wouldn't really want to wait. I saw it last night and was kind of surprised that things were still available this morning.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I snagged the metric reversible ratcheting wrenches and the screwdrivers, because who ever has enough screwdrivers? I'm seriously considering the brake tool kit as well, even though I try to avoid drum brakes whenever possible (probably because I don't have the tools)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dang, I only occasionally have need for a tap handle (a few times a year) and can borrow one from work, but those are a steal at $72. They have just the handle for $120.

Kinda hard to justify something that I will almost never use...

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I bought that same tap and die set years ago and it has saved me so many times. Ratcheting tap handles really are a godsend in some situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
It wont let me add those ratcheting wrenches to my cart. Is it working for anyone else?