Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Puddin posted:

God I wish I could get a 1600 and mb combo for that much here in Aus. I'd be all over that so fast.

Yeah the parts picking thread can be a bit mad for your mental health sometimes. A lot of the dudes there are happy to look at aus pricing and suggest something but there's always the guy who inadvertently rubs it in our faces that stateside Amazon specials are just criminally cheap.

My 2600/tomahawk/LPX 3200 16GB combo cost me over $500 and compared to what some places were charging that was a steal.

Can't wait for the 3600 to debut at $399 if it's any good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I've heard of people overseas taking trips to the US and buying the electronics for much cheaper seems to be half the reason for going sometimes or at least a nice side benefit for going.

Is that sort of thing common or are there some gotchas involved?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure that's a South America thing, where import duties tend to be pretty high. Wouldn't be all that interesting to Europeans.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wish AMD would bring back project quantum with zen 2 / Navi.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I've heard of people overseas taking trips to the US and buying the electronics for much cheaper seems to be half the reason for going sometimes or at least a nice side benefit for going.

Is that sort of thing common or are there some gotchas involved?

$1600+ and 22 hours on a plane, and getting randomly interrogated by jackbooted border thugs at both ends - to save $45-75 extra for intl. expedited shipping? yeah I'd pass.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Dongington posted:

$1600+ and 22 hours on a plane, and getting randomly interrogated by jackbooted border thugs at both ends - to save $45-75 extra for intl. expedited shipping? yeah I'd pass.
people who do trips like this are spending money on things that cost $30000, not $300

Khorne
May 1, 2002

taiyoko posted:

As far as video goes, I have a hand-me-down R9 290x gpu, but yeah, I'm pretty sure my monitor doesn't do over 60Hz, and it's only a 1600x900 resolution at that, and the only reason I was going with that specific combo was that microcenter has a bundle of that mobo/processor for $200.
You get $30 off for buying pretty much any processor+motherboard at microcenter.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Cygni posted:

I’m considering but please nobody buy those things until reviews come out. They are in stock on a few sites now.

No worries. I never preorder anything. I'll wait to see benchmarks and final pricing before I pull the trigger on anything. I already have everything else except for a mobo/processor, so I'm hoping I can find a decent X570 for a not insane price. If not, I'll find a good X470 and live with it.

NewFatMike posted:

Oh man I did not know Blender added a mixed CPU/GPU rendering option. I wonder if you can throw multiple GPUs at it in addition to a CPU.
Yeah, you have to download one of the dev builds with 2.79 to get it(or maybe it's an addon?), but I believe 2.8 will have it standard and you can just go ham with whatever you've got. Exciting times.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Has anyone else had to deal with intermittent NMI 2c/2d errors getting thrown off Ryzen/Epyc CPUs? They don't seem to crash anything, and the two systems that have thrown them so far have both done it on cores running in the first chiplet complex on the first socket. I'm suspecting is something funky coming up the PCIe bus (maybe from the 10gig nic) and making a recoverable fault, but we're going weeks between issues and I can't trigger it on-demand.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Has anyone else had to deal with intermittent NMI 2c/2d errors getting thrown off Ryzen/Epyc CPUs?

No sorry. Only using AMD at home though and not at work.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wish AMD would bring back project quantum with zen 2 / Navi.

Wish they would offer rebates/discounts for bundling the 2. And then Intel sues them for anti-competitive practices. And then Lisa Su can hold up a market share chart in one hand and flip them the bird with the other.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I haven't been super keeping up. Are 570 going to be the only r2 friendly high end mobos? Are there plans to release a more budget friendly but still high endish line?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If you want more budget friendly and still high-end-ish mobos than you'll want a X470 mobo. Just make sure its got a CPU-less flash option to upgrade the BIOS if you don't have a spare AM4 CPU handy you can borrow if you want to it to run Zen2.

The "cheap" X570 mobo's are rumored to sell for over $150 and probably closer to $200 for one with better features with prices quickly shooting up from there to absurd levels for stuff like stock full coverage water blocks.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Unfortunately, the only X470 motherboards with CPU-less flash are Asus' $250 top-end Crosshair Vii Hero and MSi's top end M7, which doesn't even seem to be available anymore. The Msi B450 Tomahawk and the Msi B450 Pro Gaming AC both support CPU-less BIOS flashing and have good enough VRM for overclocking a 2700X, so they should be fine for most 3rd-gen chips.

Another option is to buy a $55 Athlon 200GE ($40 at Microcenter), use it to update the BIOS, and the sell it on Ebay for $40-50.

E: B550s will be coming eventually, but there's no release date yet. Probably at least a few months out.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 1, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Another reason to get CPU-less flash option is that it's the only way to downgrade BIOS on motherboards like Crosshair VII Hero. It's because they're afraid of people bricking their motherboard-CPU compatibility.

There have been a bunch of BIOS performance regressions here and there so downgrade support is pretty important for Ryzen IMO.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Do any b450 itx boards have the cpu-less bios update thinger?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lungboy posted:

I'm pretty sure no Ryzen ITX boards have CPU-less updating, not even X470 ones.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So what's the thoughts on a motherboard for a 3700x

I'm upgrading from a 3770k.

Thinking X570 AORUS PRO looks like it'll be a reasonable price, or would a good X470 be a better option? Or do we not know yet?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

repiv posted:

I'm pretty sure no Ryzen ITX boards have CPU-less updating, not even X470 ones.

Thanks, that could be problematic.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lungboy posted:

Reddit purportedly has a list of boards with USB bios update:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/

edit: No ITX listed. Probably due to space issues.

gilljoy posted:

So what's the thoughts on a motherboard for a 3700x

I'm upgrading from a 3770k.

Thinking X570 AORUS PRO looks like it'll be a reasonable price, or would a good X470 be a better option? Or do we not know yet?

You'll have to wait for actual testing to see how X470 compares to X570 on 3000 series chips, but the general expectation is that there probably won't be any issues with 6/8 core chips. If you don't want or need PCIe4 then you can probably save some money and go with a X470 board.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 1, 2019

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Didn't AMD used to send like a ryzen 1200 or something for you to flash your BIOS then send back? Maybe that was just for Zen+ and they stopped doing it for Zen2.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Stickman posted:

Another option is to buy a $55 Athlon 200GE ($40 at Microcenter), use it to update the BIOS, and the sell it on Ebay for $40-50.

Or don't sell it. They make really good utility/diagnostic CPUs. They run cool enough that you can clip their HSF to them without adding any TIM, for BIOS updates and troubleshooting purposes (I saw temps hovering right around 35C while doing this repeatedly last week). Also, they're capable of video-out, which is handy for those use cases, too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Zen2 should have the same performance on any motherboard with appropriate VRMs. RAM overclock performance will vary slightly with board, certain boards have t-topology and most have daisy chain memory. Trace quality can vary, blah blah blah. Overall, it should be a pretty uniform experience provided you buy a motherboard with appropriately provisioned VRMs.

With underpowered VRMs things should still work, but don't buy a $20 A320 motherboard to put a $500+ CPU in. Also avoid most B350 board unless you already have one. For example, B350 Tomahawk has the worst VRMs, B450 Tomahawk has better VRMs than most of x470.

Reddit posted a motherboard VRM compatibility chart, and it seems pretty accurate from the research I did: imgur link. The orange color means "as long as you have case fans and a case that isn't super cluttered".

Stickman posted:

use it to update the BIOS, and the sell it on Ebay for $40-50.

E: B550s will be coming eventually, but there's no release date yet. Probably at least a few months out.
If you're a garbage person you can also just return it after using it to flash your bios. Amazon takes returns pretty much 100% of the time.

AMD will loan you a processor to flash your motherboard with if you ask them for it, but that takes time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 2, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
How exactly does the CPU-less bios flash work? Do you go ahead and put the unsupported CPU in the motherboard and flash the bios or do you boot up the system with no CPU in the motherboard at all and flash the bios? :confused:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

spasticColon posted:

How exactly does the CPU-less bios flash work? Do you go ahead and put the unsupported CPU in the motherboard and flash the bios or do you boot up the system with no CPU in the motherboard at all and flash the bios? :confused:

The latter, there's a standalone microcontroller on the motherboard with enough of a USB and filesystem implementation to read a USB drive and flash the BIOS all by itself.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

mdxi posted:

Or don't sell it. They make really good utility/diagnostic CPUs. They run cool enough that you can clip their HSF to them without adding any TIM, for BIOS updates and troubleshooting purposes (I saw temps hovering right around 35C while doing this repeatedly last week). Also, they're capable of video-out, which is handy for those use cases, too.

Yeah super handy and cheap.

As a matter of fact...

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Seamonster posted:

Yeah super handy and cheap.

As a matter of fact...

Is beef jerky AM4 compatible?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

repiv posted:

The latter, there's a standalone microcontroller on the motherboard with enough of a USB and filesystem implementation to read a USB drive and flash the BIOS all by itself.

Pretty much this.

That said, if you want some more details, at least in SBCs I've worked on, the BIOS is stored on a chip that is connected via the SPI bus, aka four-wire interface. Usually this is a simple flash chip. What can be done is an external programmer can program this chip in the same method as the CPU can. The programmers we used didn't connect via the board via USB, but via another method (but they were connected to our computers via USB). This method is probably very similar to the circuit layout of what the CPU-less programmers do. The board's power is then cycled, and it boots with the new BIOS.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 2, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, when's the embargo lifting?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

iospace posted:

Also, when's the embargo lifting?

12PM EDT/9AM PDT on the 7th, I think.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Khorne posted:

Reddit posted a motherboard VRM compatibility chart, and it seems pretty accurate from the research I did: imgur link. The orange color means "as long as you have case fans and a case that isn't super cluttered".

That's a great link - much more concise than the table I've been using. Thanks!

Khorne posted:

If you're a garbage person you can also just return it after using it to flash your bios. Amazon takes returns pretty much 100% of the time.

AMD will loan you a processor to flash your motherboard with if you ask them for it, but that takes time.

I thought that I read somewhere that AMD confirmed that they wouldn't be offering update kits this time around, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Theris posted:

12PM EDT/9AM PDT on the 7th, I think.

This just covers up to the 3900x, right? I thought I heard the 3950x isn't out for a little longer.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

This just covers up to the 3900x, right? I thought I heard the 3950x isn't out for a little longer.

Yep, 3950x releases some time September.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The good news for anyone looking at the PCIe 4.0 SSDs, get a load of this fuggen box! Its not quite frog-mech, but great to see this kind of stuff again:

The bad news, its random reads/writes (the stuff that probably matters the most for everyday users) are the same as PCIe 3.0 drives:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14599/phison-ps5016e16-pcie-40-ssds-random-readwrite-performance-disclosed

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
for Pro / for Gamer

Looks like true doom murderheads are out of the running on this one

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Standard NVMe random R/W isn’t anywhere close to maxing PCIe 3.0 (or SATA, for that matter), so any improvement would presumably also show up in new PCIe 3.0 drives anyway.

That box is worth any price difference, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

The good news for anyone looking at the PCIe 4.0 SSDs, get a load of this fuggen box! Its not quite frog-mech, but great to see this kind of stuff again:

The bad news, its random reads/writes (the stuff that probably matters the most for everyday users) are the same as PCIe 3.0 drives:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14599/phison-ps5016e16-pcie-40-ssds-random-readwrite-performance-disclosed

I missed this poo poo.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Yep, 3950x releases some time September.

The edging of AMD fans continues

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

They could not possibly be more obviously trying to look like a Samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
How? PCB isn't even black.