Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Are there any goon guilds on NA servers that allow new character creation?

Had another go at the trial and finally found some classes that I clicked with, so I'm going pony up for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I was actually really enjoying the quests up until uh, that, and I felt like that was going to be an interesting charter arc to go with to parallel Fordola. Where one has done terrible things but genuinely can't remember and is literally not even that person anymore. The other doing terrible things and not only knowing that they're terrible, but also having to deal with feeling everyone else's emotions about her terrible actions. With how it actually plays out it feels like the last couple hours were just padding and I can't even imagine how upset I'd be if I was going through this content piecemeal like most people probably did.

Oh, well. Only a bit more until I hit Shadowbringers and judging by all the spoiler text I'm seeing that's probably gonna be a ride.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Hello Sailor posted:

Had another go at the trial and finally found some classes that I clicked with, so I'm going pony up for the game.

If you want to make a character right now you're locked to (one server on) Crystal. Oddly enough, Mateus is a fairly busy server most of the time, but I have no idea how Square's character creation locks work. I lied, it's Diabolos (also on Crystal) now.

That said, servers open up fairly often for character creation, but you won't be making a character on any Congested server anytime soon, and even the standard worlds on Primal are going to be a crapshoot.

Speaking of which, since I'm one of the few goons that stayed on Crystal, and since character creation on the other data centers is a crapshoot at best, would people be interested in a cross-world linkshell for Crystal goons? It's not quite as fancy as a Free Company, but if new players are going to be stuck on the non-cool worlds on our data center, we could at least help out with duty finder queues and such.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Warrior talk: when I saw Nascent Flash, I was pretty stoked, buuuuuuut... in practice it's a loving annoying ability to use.

I'm sure some people are really good at snap targeting someone in the party then reverting to their main target (healers?) with zero delay, I'm not one of them, especially mid Inner Release between Fell Cleaves or w/e.

Nascent Flash only lasts for 6 seconds, so to get off three abilities reliably, I figured I'd need a macro, here's what I'm using:

code:
/ac "Nascent Flash" <mo>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <2>
/ac "Nascent Flash" <c>
First it'll cast on your mouseover target - this works on the party list OR in the 3d world. It does NOT work if you are currently mouselooking, so it'll fall through to 2, which is the other tank in trials and raids, or the healer in dungeons. Finally it'll fall through to your chocobro, so you can use the ability in the open world if you want for healing (not a big deal honestly, but hey why not).

Any Wars want to chime in on why this is a terrible idea/how it could be improved? I considered maybe doing focus target only to avoid party list issues with dead #2, but I'd like the flexibility to target a dps and heal them if needed.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Mister No posted:

I was actually really enjoying the quests up until uh, that, and I felt like that was going to be an interesting charter arc to go with to parallel Fordola. Where one has done terrible things but genuinely can't remember and is literally not even that person anymore. The other doing terrible things and not only knowing that they're terrible, but also having to deal with feeling everyone else's emotions about her terrible actions. With how it actually plays out it feels like the last couple hours were just padding and I can't even imagine how upset I'd be if I was going through this content piecemeal like most people probably did.

Oh, well. Only a bit more until I hit Shadowbringers and judging by all the spoiler text I'm seeing that's probably gonna be a ride.

I liked it well enough in the moment. Helped that most dungeons and raids in SB are quite good. TBH I think going through it all at once might give some whiplash, going back and forth between Doma and Ala Mhigo.

I think SB's story is good as part of a FF experience, like the international relations and colonization vs. independence angles are interesting, but I think they're better when there's also a lot of the fantastical stuff.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So I'm catching RDM up a little to BLM as a breather from the MSQ, and I have a question: is it my imagination, or did they turn down the sound effects on Verthunder? This spell used to sound like the hammer of God coming out, now I can barely hear it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I’m not too impressed with the sound effects on Despair or Afflatus Misery either. Maybe there’s an actual sound bug and not just one hilarious oversight w/r/t Viera voice 7?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I had a dungeon experience with a viera 7 and at first I thought I was hearing things like someone groaning outside. "where's that 'nuaa-aah' noise coming from??"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gnb sound effects are kinda bad too

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm on Zalera just made a character there a week ago and FactsAreUseless has a goon FC on it. though I haven't figured out how to get in it yet

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RDM was the job i brought to 80, and while Scorch is cool, it feels really clunky having two back to back instant spells with full GCD. Dunno how to feel about the other stuff we got. I almost never use Reprise, Engagement is pretty situational/rare, but at least I find myself making that decision once in awhile. The passive bonuses don't really change much, and AOE Thunder and Aero are neat, but AOE is still pretty whatever and now it's just more awkward for my hands because of binds. :v:

Still like the job a lot though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In terms of Yotsuyu vs Fordola, I feel the difference in their character arcs is that one sees herself as a monster, just as bad as everyone else if not worse, and revels in lashing out at everyone around her whether or not they've wronged her before. Fordola, on the other hand, bundles her bitterness to use as motivation to keep moving forward. She's willing to do monstrous things to make a better life for herself and her fellows so it kind of breaks her momentarily to realize it's all been wasted. But she still wants things to be better and can and does reach out for that better future once she's given a chance.

I felt like the reason SB is such a mess is the jump between the two regions. Not only are they far apart from one another but the rest of the cast seemingly jumps back and forth as fast or almost as fast as the Warrior of Light.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My take on Yotsuyu versus Fordola is that neither is really a redemption story; the narrative regards them both as unsalvagable. Neither one can ever be a normal member of society again. The moral of Yotsuyu is "this person is too poisoned to ever be healed, but we can recognize that making her a monster was our own doing." The moral of Fordola is "even if your sins can never be forgiven, there's still a kind of honor in working for the public good."

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

queeb posted:

gnb sound effects are kinda bad too

i've only played PLD and GNB but i've never felt like melee in FF14 sounded like i was really hitting anything. the animations are often real flashy but they never make me feel like i actually hit someone

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It was stupid that she survived. It was stupid that Gosetsu survived. I couldn't bring myself to give a gently caress after they were revealed to be alive. Don't shoot someone multiple times, drop a castle on them, and have them drift out to sea to a tiny island with a big palm tree on it if you want to tell a story about them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Argas posted:

In terms of Yotsuyu vs Fordola, I feel the difference in their character arcs is that one sees herself as a monster, just as bad as everyone else if not worse, and revels in lashing out at everyone around her whether or not they've wronged her before. Fordola, on the other hand, bundles her bitterness to use as motivation to keep moving forward. She's willing to do monstrous things to make a better life for herself and her fellows so it kind of breaks her momentarily to realize it's all been wasted. But she still wants things to be better and can and does reach out for that better future once she's given a chance.

I felt like the reason SB is such a mess is the jump between the two regions. Not only are they far apart from one another but the rest of the cast seemingly jumps back and forth as fast or almost as fast as the Warrior of Light.

It only feels even starker in contrast to what we have now. One of the major strengths of ShB is that it's laser-focused on the events transpiring on a tiny surviving pocket of a world and because of this the pacing is dense and builds and releases pathos frequently.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been taking a ~2 month long break and won't be able to play Shadowbringers until next week because I'm going on vacation tomorrow*, but I was listening to a lot of the new music on youtube on the way to/from work today and it's really great as always. Some great dungeon themes in particular.

I was also looking over job changes, and at a glance I noticed a really great-looking overhaul to DRK (and I hear MCH was overhauled, but I've never played it). Scholar's changes looked kinda uninteresting (though I'm curious if the fairy things being a beast tribe will have relevance for their job quests). Summoner seems like its already long-as-gently caress rotation was made even longer, if I'm understanding things correct? Like they added a whole new phase post-Bahamut? I also really want to try Dancer, since my character's aesthetics match it really well (I'm kinda torn between going through the main scenario as my DRK or Dancer; DRK is "theme appropriate" and would have faster queues, but the main scenario can be a good way to gradually learn a class).

* I'll actually have my laptop which has FFXIV on it, but I want to play it on my good PC/monitor

Rand Brittain posted:

My take on Yotsuyu versus Fordola is that neither is really a redemption story; the narrative regards them both as unsalvagable. Neither one can ever be a normal member of society again. The moral of Yotsuyu is "this person is too poisoned to ever be healed, but we can recognize that making her a monster was our own doing." The moral of Fordola is "even if your sins can never be forgiven, there's still a kind of honor in working for the public good."

My take on Yotsuyu is that being "healed" actually was possible, but she was hosed over through running into her parents during a very vulnerable period after regaining her memories. I think that if Gosetsu or something had run into her before that, that the situation could have been salvaged.

Rand Brittain posted:

Fordola is a redemption story in the sense that, as a character, she ends up in a good place (even if her specific actions were unforgivable in nature).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think it would've been more interesting if Yotsuyu and Fordola had their roles reversed but that's more because I think Yotsuyu would have been more interesting, especially if she also had the Echo so it was like "well gently caress, what do I do now?" I will totally admit this is like, 90% reacting to Yotsuyu's superior graphic design.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fordola is cool because she is used to explore the impacts of colonisation and imperialism on a conquered nation and although SB is kinda a mess it discusses those topics in pretty ok ways I think. She’s treated sympathetically after her defeat and it mostly lands because her history and everything is pretty well explored and contrasted decently with Lyse and Arenvald.

Yotsuyu is ok too and the most interesting character involved with Doma, but Doma is still very boring and lame so she doesn’t come off as strongly.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
As much as I disliked that set of quests, I will say that it's really neat that an MMO has me feeling things other that 'woah that's badass' or just a general apathy. I really like Fordola as a character, and I don't actually know why- I don't think I'm supposed to at wherever I am in the story, but I liked her even when she was outright terrible and ruthless.

Hopefully the next... 15, I think, quests don't take as long as the Doma arc took because holy moly that felt like a half dozen hour ordeal.

Really liking SCH, roughly as much as I did pre-ShB. The truckloads of rocks you get from levelling roulette is pretty neat as well, for healers atm.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yotsuyu's story is one of the many reasons that Stormblood was such a mess.
I loved it, especially post-70, what did you dislike about it?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/recipe/fd98a85c9c4/

This level 74 caster chest piece looks great. It's very different from other casting coats too so I'm going to build a glam around it in a couple levels when I replace it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
But that’s not the skallic chestpiece why would you use it :confused:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished the Shadowbringers MSQ and holy loving poo poo I can't say enough good things about it. I can't believe they made me care about the Ascian plot, which previously bored me to tears, but turning it into a conflict between making the most of the world you have versus trying desperately to hold onto an age that's passed was incredibly compelling. My only fear is that I don't know that it'll work for me without Emet-Selch to latch onto, as Elidibus in the postcredits was just kind of generic evil again.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
haven't read the thread
game is good
having a loving blast
dancer is super amazing
gunbreaker looks neat and fun
even the dark knight changes aren't that bad once I got used to the new playstyle.
haven't really tried white mage much yet, but they kept my 400 damage/heal potency assize so I'm good.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

:negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I never actually got around to finishing the 4.x MSQ, I'm up to "Storm on the Horizon". Bout how many hours should it take me to reach Shadowbringers from here if I just do MSQs?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tank queues? Haha now the shoe is on the other foot!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Augus posted:

I never actually got around to finishing the 4.x MSQ, I'm up to "Storm on the Horizon". Bout how many hours should it take me to reach Shadowbringers from here if I just do MSQs?
If you're already post-Shinryu not that long. Most of the barrier for me was having to grind up equipment to keep up with iLvl requirements, now that they've changed tomestones it should be quick.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augus posted:

A few hours maybe? depending on how quickly the queues pop. You have about two dozen quests to do, and a couple/few solo duties, one trial, and two dungeons.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm enjoying this game quite a bit and am interested in raiding when that starts up; I've never done it in this game but I've raided heroics in WOW quite a bit. Are there any good ways to go about finding groups? I'd be interested in something with a regular schedule. I'm in one of the goon guilds on Excalibur for what that's worth.

I don't have any friends.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also; Civilizations (the Rik'Tika Greatwood theme) is quite possibly the best loving song in the entire goddamn game. Jesus that is an evocative piece.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you're already post-Shinryu not that long. Most of the barrier for me was having to grind up equipment to keep up with iLvl requirements, now that they've changed tomestones it should be quick.

Tashilicious posted:

A few hours maybe? depending on how quickly the queues pop. You have about two dozen quests to do, and a couple/few solo duties, one trial, and two dungeons.

sounds good!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

porfiria posted:

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit and am interested in raiding when that starts up; I've never done it in this game but I've raided heroics in WOW quite a bit. Are there any good ways to go about finding groups? I'd be interested in something with a regular schedule. I'm in one of the goon guilds on Excalibur for what that's worth.

I don't have any friends.

The Discord in the OP's pretty good. Folks are casually getting ShB EX Trials going right now and will likely start to form groups for the raid that launches in a few weeks.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Arist posted:

I finished the Shadowbringers MSQ and holy loving poo poo I can't say enough good things about it. I can't believe they made me care about the Ascian plot, which previously bored me to tears, but turning it into a conflict between making the most of the world you have versus trying desperately to hold onto an age that's passed was incredibly compelling. My only fear is that I don't know that it'll work for me without Emet-Selch to latch onto, as Elidibus in the postcredits was just kind of generic evil again.

Emet and his voice actor really go a long way.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The sequence leading up to the finale was just fantastic.

The music starting up as the WoD/WoL stand up, with the WoL speaking but in Ardbert's voice with the light flaring behind, the momentary glimpse of the ascian form, even the "Champions from beyond the rift, heed my call!" moment was great.

I love this MSQ.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hit the credits. I'm a sobbing wreck right now. Game Good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

also; Civilizations (the Rik'Tika Greatwood theme) is quite possibly the best loving song in the entire goddamn game. Jesus that is an evocative piece.

Rak'Tika* :v:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Brainamp posted:

I haven’t finished the MSQ but this right here is one reason I like MMOs and this game in particular. It’s an awesome feeling when the game is great and you know there will be more of it.

Compared to how empty I felt after FFXV, which I loved, but that world is done and I won’t get any more stories out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Brainamp posted:

It rules. So much pathos in the ShB MSQ.