Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I personally assume they survive on the basis of whatever the publishing companies are paying the magazines to shill for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

there's a lot of people on the internet, and a lot of them have interests and preferences which you don't share, and which you reasonably do not stay abreast on

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean just I don't really get what they're for in the era of just looking up footage on youtube.

Other than, as noted, what is essentially SSLPs of dumb poo poo.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Advertising. They’re there to sell advertising.

And track your internet activity.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
All I'm saying is, they probably aren't earning their income with quality journalism.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean just I don't really get what they're for in the era of just looking up footage on youtube.

Not having to trawl through youtube videos of someone with a microphone submerged in mayonnaise who keeps slipping into random tangents about sjws and the Jewish conspiracy, or who has some obnoxious shouting gimmick and calls themselves "The Mildly Perturbed Game Player"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kotaku survives because Jason Schreier regularly publishes damning exposes with insider interviews, Giant Bomb survives because they're funded by subscription fees, and everybody else survives (?) because they write endless trash about Game of Thrones or the Marvel Cinematic Universe or whatever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

action button does not survive :(

pour one out for the supermechagodzilla of videogame review sites

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
There's US Gamer. Of course, I haven't visited the site in a while, so I don't know if they descended into the abyss of clickbait and reviews of fetish mods.

Uh...PC Gamer seems okay as well, last I checked.

OwlFancier posted:

Other than, as noted, what is essentially SSLPs of dumb poo poo.

Magmarashi posted:

Not having to trawl through youtube videos of someone with a microphone submerged in mayonnaise who keeps slipping into random tangents about sjws and the Jewish conspiracy, or who has some obnoxious shouting gimmick and calls themselves "The Mildly Perturbed Game Player"

There's still lots of independent channels with gameplay footage free of gimmicks, racism, and low-quality microphones.

Alternatively, you have the option of visiting one of the numerous threads here on SA to ask about whatever game you're interested in for feedback or information.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I mean it's not gonna feature CoD or anything but I generally get most of the games I'm interested in from like, Arumba, Aavak etc and the rest of the strategy folks in that kinda area of youtube.

Failing that frankly I find just typing the game into the search engine is probably gonna give me at least a passable bit of footage from it. Though again I don't generally have interest in the £40 big name games so that might influence the kinds of channels that play my kind of games.

Though honestly if you're buying the latest AAA £40 multiplayer title surely terrible microphones and racism is part of the authentic experience :v:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

There's US Gamer. Of course, I haven't visited the site in a while, so I don't know if they descended into the abyss of clickbait and reviews of fetish mods.

Uh...PC Gamer seems okay as well, last I checked.

There's still lots of independent channels with gameplay footage free of gimmicks, racism, and low-quality microphones.

Alternatively, you have the option of visiting one of the numerous threads here on SA to ask about whatever game you're interested in for feedback or information.

Well, it's generally about more than just gameplay footage and uh..

...well...not to sound mean or anything but SA threads are often a loving shitshow in their own right up and down the spectrum from 'helpful and informative' to 'no, there are actually just dogwhistle nazis here, too'

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
the only games reviews on the internet you can trust are the ones on the SA frontpage

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Magmarashi posted:

Well, it's generally about more than just gameplay footage and uh..

...well...not to sound mean or anything but SA threads are often a loving shitshow in their own right up and down the spectrum from 'helpful and informative' to 'no, there are actually just dogwhistle nazis here, too'

I've not seen many 'dogwhistle nazis' on SA, and if there were any, I would think they'd get drummed out quickly.

It can be disorganized, though, if you're not posting in thread focused on a particular game or topic. There's also no guarantee that your post will get a response.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in particular.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can't think of one obvious chud I've seen on SA in the last year except for one in the anthem thread (lol) who immediately got chased away

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

pseudorandom name posted:

Kotaku survives because Jason Schreier regularly publishes damning exposes with insider interviews, Giant Bomb survives because they're funded by subscription fees, and everybody else survives (?) because they write endless trash about Game of Thrones or the Marvel Cinematic Universe or whatever.

Giantbomb's mostly video content though, they barely write anymore.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Catching up, Fallout 2 murder the kids of Den talk. If you had no companions, You could enter combat and punch the kids once, each. If the hit didnt kill em, dont continue combat. Just wait for your turn to come back, then end combat. From that point forward, the kids will see you, and run away, without going into combat, allowing you do walk in unmolested.

If you have a companion, be aware Sulik with gladly smash their head like a melon with his sledge hammer. leave him somewhere first.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 2, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look it's not child murder, it's just child battery

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I cannot relate to this Fallout 2 invisible children discussion because I played the game (my first Fallout too) when I was 12 and it was a pirated copy I bought in a Malaysian mall. The children were very visible and very killable in that version. The legit copy I bought on GOG.com years later is also similar, but they tend to have the good version of games.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It seems like the only way to make money nowadays is to talk poo poo about something people like in order to harvest all the hate-clicks possible. Vice seems to have caught onto this, as have all the feed aggregators or whatever. What I see in gaming is people always chasing the algorithm and talking about the exact same limited information everyone else has simply because that’s what everyone is clicking on right now.

Because the thing that determines what gets produced is what people are clicking on right now, there’s a massive amount of repetitive content competing for clicks. Bolder, more provocative statements deliver more successful articles that get likes and shares.

Niche content seems to thrive on YouTube, where success depends largely on subscribers and patrons.

I really like this guy A Jolly Wangcore who does Half-Life 2 mod videos. I saw him in this thread a long time ago and wanted to remind people he has a microphone now and makes compilations of his twitch streams and they’re actually super funny.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ajollywanker

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Mordja posted:

Giantbomb's mostly video content though, they barely write anymore.

I see somebody hasn't subscribed to the bimonthly newsletter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoMF004uALc

It's really easy to find. You just gotta type 'pls no talky' and then you get the peanut gallery free version. I get that other people want to read a review first and that's fine and I have no problem with that.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

I do enjoy his videos from time to time, but it really deserves an upfront warning, a chunk of his content consists of actively seeking out aggressively terrible mods. So just imagine all of the worst poo poo in modding (insensitive jokes, bizarre fetishes, unironic nazi poo poo), and know that all of that is sprinkled throughout. I don't think he's an rear end in a top hat, but he is terribly British, which seems to be an automatic handicap in handling sensitive topics. So feel free to skip those parts if you want. The rest is pretty good from what I recall.

I mean, this being the mods thread, I assume people are generally aware of all that, but it seemed worth mentioning. Just in case the romhack video icon with eight-bit penises and a little pixel klansman didn't clue you in.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Oh hey, Jolly Wangcore. He's p cool but he just kind of takes in the awfulness of mods in amused confusion and horrific fascination as opposed to any outrage. He does seem to be aware of what makes content offensive and occasionally verbally disapproves, keeping him out of the CHUD zone for now. Also has a complete lack of sense of direction.

For examples of all of these, see the extremely terrible and confusing Half-Life Vietnam mod he bumbled through. Thank God I wasn't the one playing that horseshit.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 2, 2019

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoMF004uALc

It's really easy to find. You just gotta type 'pls no talky' and then you get the peanut gallery free version. I get that other people want to read a review first and that's fine and I have no problem with that.

Yeah but that's an LP. It's a bit of a different beast from what one would want to get from an article or a succinct video overview

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Your know, in general, I'd say LPs are almost better for that. It's more of a time investment, but it's also a lot more comprehensive and focused on showing you what playing the game is actually like, which is important to me these days. Standard ten minute opinion pieces have made me buy a lot of stuff that turned out to be a disappointment over the years.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I tend to consider random youtube reviews far, far more useful than articles by professional writers. The professional is bored, going through a queue, and just trying to get through the day so they can go home and drink. The youtube fan is passionate and doing the review because they WANT to be doing it, and as a fellow gamer they usually have a much better idea of what's important to me than the writer does.

Plus, I simply don't trust professional writers at all, given how industry back-scratching works; independent youtube reviewers tend not to have that problem. Anyone remember that big fiasco with.... was it IGN? Several years ago? Firing one of their writers after he gave a game a bad review, because the company had shelled out a lot of advertising money for the game on their site? I don't believe for one second that that kind of thing doesn't still go on. At the very least, no company is going to bite the hand that feeds, and they all like getting early review copies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Backhand posted:

Plus, I simply don't trust professional writers at all, given how industry back-scratching works; independent youtube reviewers tend not to have that problem. Anyone remember that big fiasco with.... was it IGN? Several years ago? Firing one of their writers after he gave a game a bad review, because the company had shelled out a lot of advertising money for the game on their site? I don't believe for one second that that kind of thing doesn't still go on. At the very least, no company is going to bite the hand that feeds, and they all like getting early review copies.

You're thinking of Jeff Gerstmann, formerly of Gamespot, founder of Giantbomb and that was over a decade ago. And lol if you think youtubers aren't way more blatantly paid off than games journalists.

E: Not to say there's no merit to those videos. They're useful for raw gameplay if nothing else.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

lol if you think youtubers aren't way more blatantly paid off than games journalists.
Seriously. Youtube reviews haven't be a grassroots "honest reviews for gamers by gamers" thing for years. I almost prefer it when they actually tell you a video was sponsored by whoever - footage is footage and in the end I don't care about their opinions anyway.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mordja posted:

You're thinking of Jeff Gerstmann, formerly of Gamespot, founder of Giantbomb and that was over a decade ago. And lol if you think youtubers aren't way more blatantly paid off than games journalists.

E: Not to say there's no merit to those videos. They're useful for raw gameplay if nothing else.

"Games Journalists don't play games at all, and their positive reviews are all bought and paid for, Youtube personalities are the only objective and unbiased sources of information, furthermore SJWs..."

That's sorta the evolution of the talking process that goes on in my head the moment people start acting like those who have been around the industry for 15+ years don't care about or play video games, and youtube personalities aren't just as vulnerable to blacklisting and bribery, if not more so

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
You can think as you will. I'm talking about the aggregate, though, not saying one side is purely good or that the other is purely evil. Youtube channels are more trustworthy than professional reviewers. Emphasis on 'more,' not 'impeccably.'

And I am well aware that story happened a long time ago.... but as I said, I harbor no doubts whatsoever that a lot of that sort of thing still goes on, if a bit more subtly. I think independent channels are far, far less susceptible to it. Even moreso because if you search youtube for reviews on a game, and you see one shill, you'll often see another review immediately under it that can contradict whatever the shill says.... though again, it's far less common on youtube to begin with.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 2, 2019

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The passionate youtuber understanding what I, a fellow gamer, care about most: the size of puddles and disparity in poly count of a chainlink fence from the E3 preview to release. ANOTHER DOWNGRADE

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
For straight video game news with a focus on the overall industry rather than individual games, Bellular News is the best non-chuddy, non-screamy YouTube channel I've found. I've been listening for a few months now and haven't heard the host say SJW once.

Jim Sterling's still great for catharsis, though, and he's pushing hard against loot boxes and for unionization. As abrasive as his character is, his takes are usually spot on, and even when I don't agree with them, I understand where he's coming from.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah but that's an LP. It's a bit of a different beast from what one would want to get from an article or a succinct video overview

But, it's footage. No one who isn't in the game is talking. You wanted footage without someone getting mad about Anita Sarkeesian in the middle of it for no reason and that's what I linked.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

But, it's footage. No one who isn't in the game is talking. You wanted footage without someone getting mad about Anita Sarkeesian in the middle of it for no reason and that's what I linked.

No? Pure game footage is piss easy to get, obviously, and doesn't actually tell you anything about how the game 'feels in your hands'. I was talking about informative review/overview type stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:yikes:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Backhand posted:

A whole bunch of evidenceless assumptions stated as fact

Every single thing you've said here is as far from the truth as possible.

You could not find enough evidence of corruption across the entire history of games journalism to match up to an average week of gaming YouTubers. Turns out its a lot easier to bribe fanboys than professionals!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

No? Pure game footage is piss easy to get, obviously, and doesn't actually tell you anything about how the game 'feels in your hands'. I was talking about informative review/overview type stuff.

You said footage so I thought you just wanted gameplay! I didn't know you wanted someone to tell you 'oh the menus are clunky and it takes too many button presses to get it to respond and also for some reason the subtitles are in your inventory instead of anywhere in the options???'

That's fair, now I get where you're coming from.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

You said footage so I thought you just wanted gameplay! I didn't know you wanted someone to tell you 'oh the menus are clunky and it takes too many button presses to get it to respond and also for some reason the subtitles are in your inventory instead of anywhere in the options???'

That's fair, now I get where you're coming from.

Magmarashi posted:

Well, it's generally about more than just gameplay footage

Ok yes I said the word footage but the rest of the words around it are pretty drat important, also that we were talking about review sites and what they offer over youtube reviewers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TTBF posted:

You could not find enough evidence of corruption across the entire history of games journalism to match up to an average week of gaming YouTubers. Turns out its a lot easier to bribe fanboys than professionals!

quote:

The researchers analyzed over 500,000 YouTube videos and over 2.1 million unique Pinterest pins from August to September 2017 for the study

This seems like cruelty to researchers. Is this ethical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TTBF posted:

And corruption aside, there's still the fact that a long-lasting fan of a series, or a specific type of game might (at least initially) also be less critical than someone with a broader scope. :shrug: