Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

First. I am taking down the second now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Sorry that I bailed on the first prompt, life got a bit too hectic during that week so I wasn't able to set aside the free time I needed
to make a good entry. I hope to redeem myself with this one. I'm in, I'll announce my band and album title after I have a chance to think about the options for a bit.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Hey! I’ll be in, but there’s a high likelihood I won’t get around to this

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

sigma 6 posted:

First. I am taking down the second now.

Aw I missed it! :(

You should post the unused submission in the Daily Doodles thread at least since you went through the effort of making it already.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Aw I missed it! :(

You should post the unused submission in the Daily Doodles thread at least since you went through the effort of making it already.

I think I will. Also wondering if I improve on a design can I resubmit before the deadline? I thought part of the point of this was critique. As in ... "right now it feels too much like a cross between a psygnosis era pink floyd cover and a beeple daily instagram post. "

Also - too much pink eye and not enough pink moon? Definitely not happy with it yet. That's for sure.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Crits come at the end. I guess I'll let you resubmit since it's so early, but just this once. (The POWER!)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Posted an update to the daily drawing thread though I am not sure that is the right thread for critique. For some reason I am thinking of the X-files poster "The Truth Is Out There"

Saw this and laughed a little

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 30, 2019

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK! Critique time!

Sorry for the delay. I went to Pride over the weekend and it really screwed with my schedule.

heavy liquid

First off congrats on drawing a drat fine skull. I really like the way that element of your piece came out.

As for the big picture I like how this turned out overall. It's got an interesting contrast of objects and the overall composition works well, with the cord doing a nice job making everything feel like a part of the same universe. There are some problems here that I think hold this piece back a little bit though.

First and foremost I think this piece suffers from the lack of coherent cast shadows. The controller, for example, appears to be lit from the upper-left while the chess piece appears to be lit from the bottom right. Rather than being lit from a clearly defined source everything just kind of sends shadow blobs wherever and it makes everything look less cohesive rather than more so. Also, adding an occlusion shadow (the shadow you see right where an object touches the ground) to your objects would have helped ground everything quite a bit without adding too much more effort on your part.

Finally. I think you would have benefited from placing the objects just a bit more strategically. Take a look at the this:

The pink lines are the 1/3rd marks on the page and are generally considered “strong” places to place objects in a composition. Now, you've already done this to a certain extent (possibly because you already know this rule :P) but the skull is too close to the center in my opinion. If you move it up and too the right a bit I think the placement will feel a bit less arbitrary. You could have also gotten away with making the controller a bit bigger and having it go of the side of the page a little which would open things up a bit.

Finally I think having more elements overlap with others would have also helped tie all the elements together. So for example say you lower your horizon line a bit and let the bottom of the lamp fall behind the skull, which in turn is covered a bit by the pawn and controller. It's not an absolute necessity, mind you, but it's a good trick for communicating that the objects you see are related to each other.

Thanks for participating. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Good Ol Filbert

This piece isn't really working for me. It has a very nice mood to it and the fact that you went with a cow skull instead of a human one is rad as hell. I'd even go so far as to say that if you'd have chosen do do this in pen/brush and ink this would have come out pretty decent. But charcoal is a temperamental beast and I think it fought you here because you were trying to use it the same way you'd use a pencil or a pen.

Don't get me wrong, charcoal is an incredibly powerful medium capable of some amazing things. It's also probably the best tool out there to master concepts like form and value. But if you want it to cooperate with you you're going to need to change up your approach a bit.

Here's some tips for drawing in charcoal:
  1. Think of your forms in three dimensions as if you intend to render the object in a computer later. You can get away with a lot of tricks to avoid this kind of thinking when working with pencils/pens (think cartooning techniques) but these will not work with charcoal (this is why art teachers use it so much btw).

2. Don't think in lines. Think in forms, gradients and gray blobs. Look at the below examples and notice the lack of outlines. Instead the artists suggest form by just letting the shade of gray stop at the edge of the object.

3. For now try to avoid blacks and whites and work almost entirely in grays. This will help you get away from line-based thinking. Use blacks only for the darkest points of shadows and whites for small highlights.

4. Try to not let individual strokes become too noticeable. You want people to see the value, not the stroke. Use the side of the charcoal and be strategic about the direction you're moving it on the page. Note in the skull example below how the strokes (when you can see them at all) all go with the shape of the form.

5. Blend! Get a rag and some of those little white blending nibs and go to town smoothing things out. If you're having issues getting a nice light gray try blending one dark area and then draw with the residue on the rag.

These are all guidelines and not hard rules of course. As you get more comfortable with the medium feel free to experiment with breaking them to see if you can get some interesting effects.

Definitely keep at it. I'd really love to see how your work progresses!

(Also, sorry to throw so many words at you. It's just that I really wish somebody had told me these things early on and you presented a good opportunity to get this out there for people. )

Hungry Medusa

The more I look at that skull and the color choices you made the more I like this. It's got a great expression that really adds some atmosphere to the piece. The hand and gem in the foreground are less successful unfortunately.

Like Good Ol Filbert I think you are bringing some techniques normally used in cartooning into your work and the paints are fighting you because of it. Specifically I'm looking at the outlines around the fingerbones which flatten out the objects quite a bit and undermine the good work you did in the background. Like with charcoal paint works best with form and gradients instead of line and in most cases it's best to suggest form by just letting the color stop at the edge of the objects. You do this pretty well with the first three fingers but the pinky, ring finger, and wrist bones have outlines that are way too thick.

As for the gem It's not really working for me but I'm not 100% sure how I'd do it any better. Maybe use a dark red/purple instead of black? I'd have to play with it for a bit to be sure though. I do like the way the red ties the hand to the skull's eye though so kudos there.

Finally I think you could do a bit more with your background. What you have works but I think some small hint of the setting the skull is laying in would both fill that space while adding a bit of texture to the world.

Good job! Thanks for sharing this with us!

lofi

This is a good piece with a lot of kinetic energy and personality to it that I really like. The main issue I'm seeing is that I think you could stand to push the warm tones a bit more. Not a lot mind you but just enough to make them pop a bit. I'm also having some trouble identifying the source of the light in this piece. You have warm colors appearing on the top of the head but also under the cheekbones and under the jaw. I think if you more strategically used them to indicate areas being directly hit by the light the effect would have been a bit stronger.

Other nitpicks include the bottom right part of the jaw being a bit too low and the teeth needing highlights that indicate where the light is coming from (right now they look a bit random). That's kind of it though.

You should definitely experiment more with this style though because it's definitely working for you. Congrats on your victory!

Thanks again for participating everyone! I'm tired as hell so I'm going to bed now!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 2, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hey artdomers! Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten your winners gang tag, there is still behind the scenes stuff going on, I'll let you know as soon as it's fixed.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks for the great crits, readingatwork!

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Thank you, readingatwork, I appreciate it! :-)

I am ready for the new challenge, hopefully it's much better than the last

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I think I'm going to give this a try. Taxi Mandate sounds interesting. Artwork doesnt have to be submitted till the 12th correct?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That is correct.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sorry i havent made with the critique yet, i just started a new job and haven't had time or mental space yet, but i did manage to do this

taxi mandate, krita

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Dang y'all are good

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Think Im finished with this. Oculus Medium, Blender, Photoshop.

Taxi Mandate - Midnight Rides

As far as the album goes, Im thinking like Grunge Electronica or something with songs such as...

Dark Matters
Watt is Love
Midnight Rider
Electric Dreamscape
Fuzzy Blanket Logic
Outworld Express
Winners Dont Do Hugs
Smoke and Asphalt
Strong Current
Extinction of the Mind
Four Phone Phreak
Beyond the Neon Event Horizon

Sedgr fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 11, 2019

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Eyes of the Forgetful by indie rock band Adequate Revelation.

Made in Krita.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sedgr posted:

As far as the album goes, Im thinking like Grunge Electronica or something with songs such as...

Dark Matters
Watt is Love
Midnight Rider
Electric Dreamscape
Fuzzy Blanket Logic
Outworld Express
Winners Dont Do Hugs
Smoke and Asphalt
Strong Current
Extinction of the Mind
Four Phone Phreak
Beyond the Neon Event Horizon

this rules and im afraid im in trouble on this one.

im thinking of my entry as the kind of cd you find in a beach-side knickknack shop by a band that started out as a 70s funk outfit that went new age

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Adequate Revelation by Small Sins

Sounds like a cross between Black Moth Super Rainbow and Mogwai with a little Aphex Twin thrown in.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God drat you guys digital painting is hard.

This is literally my first attempt at painting straight into Photoshop so any pointers on making this easier/better are greatly appreciated.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 13, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Lookin' good. My top tip would be to use layers liberally, especially clipping layers. With those you can block out the general shape of an object and then draw the insides on other layers freely without having to worry about going outside the shape.

Ctrl+Paint has a tutorial that shows it off nicely: https://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/alternative-masking-pt-1

The Ctrl+Paint free library in general has some really good tips and explanations for digital painting. Check it out!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:siren:Time's up!:siren:

I'm away from home this weekend, so crits will have to wait a couple of days, but...

The winner is Sedgr! Congratulations! Your piece really tied the band name and genre together while looking good doing it.

Honourable mentions to Readingatwork and Sigma 6 for great concepts.

Bonus honourable mention to Al!'s discounted price tag, I thought that was a brilliant touch!

A little disappointed not to see a sludge metal Sub Peasant with a basically illegible font, but seeing as none of you are psychic I'll let you off.

lofi fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 13, 2019

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Thanks! I'll get a theme together today so we can keep this going.

Ok, I liked the way the last prompt worked so I'm going to ask for something similar.

:siren::science::awesomelon:Artdome Prompt 4: Sci-Fi Book Covers:awesomelon::science::siren:

Examples:

Any style you want as long as its Sci-Fi. I'll generate a few titles from a title generator, entrants pick one, make some cover art for their choice.

Titles:
Steel Sanctuary
The Plague of the Plant People
Ruins of Avalon
Atomic Leviathan
2099: Symbiosis
Binary Crown
Queen of Mars
Zodiac Clone
Quantum Eden
The Children of the Empire

There we go. Lots of options.

Lets say declare by:
:siren:July 21, 23:59GMT:siren:

Due:
:siren:July 31, 23:59GMT:siren:

Little longer time, hopefully we'll get a few more entries. If people want to declare all the way up to final submission date I'm OK with that, but I wont promise any sort of critique for those that declare late.

Also my critiques are probably going to be really basic anyways, but if you want one for sure, declare early.

And bonus points for anyone that writes a blurb or synopsis of their novel.

Sedgr fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 13, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hella in!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Congrats Sedgr! I'm in.

Shinmera posted:

Lookin' good. My top tip would be to use layers liberally, especially clipping layers. With those you can block out the general shape of an object and then draw the insides on other layers freely without having to worry about going outside the shape.

Ctrl+Paint has a tutorial that shows it off nicely: https://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/alternative-masking-pt-1

The Ctrl+Paint free library in general has some really good tips and explanations for digital painting. Check it out!

Thanks for the resource! This will be a big help going forward.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Congrats Sedgr! Have been really impressed with the VR art I have seen lately and you are no exception. Very cool and inspiring. Gravity sketch has looked really impressive to me for a while. Would love to see a time lapse of how you made it.

Count me in for the sci fi cover.

BTW - are there any rules in regards to resolution or length by width? CD covers were square so I stuck with the square ratio for the last one but I really like the non square render better.

Since these are book covers I imagine we should stick to certain ratios and probably resolutions that make sense with them. Any input on this? Book cover ratios can vary too.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 14, 2019

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

A pretty common ratio would be 1.6:1 but I'm not going to be fussy about it. I'd say as long as its a rectangle its fine. If someone wants to do something landscape or whatever I'll pretend its a coffee table book.

I havent done any sort of time lapse before but I can give a quick rundown of how I made the album cover.

-Modeled the taxi and the lamp post in Medium in VR. Its a really nice process but the amount of poly's it creates leaves something to be desired. I export it as an fbx or obj and decimate the crap out of it.
-Import into blender, and do the general layout. The buildings are just simple primitives.
-Apply some materials and textures, I've never got a good handle on texturing in blender so my results there are pretty rough.
-Create some emmisive elements such as the lamppost lights and the Hotel sign.
-Add some lights. I went with a dark purplish blue sky color, orange area lights for the lamps. Some blues for the taxi "jets". Then a blue area light in the background to pull out some detail there.
-Once thats all looking OK, I position a camera and render it out till I get something I liked with consideration for the dimensions of the finished image in terms of composition. I knew for instance I wanted the taxi in the foreground lit under a lamppost and in the bottom third.
-Pull the render into photoshop, add the title and tweak a few things. For instance the upper part of the image was kind of lost in the color so I did some edge finding and gave the upper parts of the buildings a little definition.
-Then I pretty much just cropped it to proper dimensions.

That was my basic process. Took me and afternoon + an evening, but a lot of that time was spent fiddling with things in blender trying to figure stuff out.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Count me in! Been exploring Clip Studio Paint's tools and this seems like a great opportunity to try things out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im in on this one definitely

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

This week the kids are with my parents so yeah, count me in. Also nabbing Ruins of Avalon, wikipedia should give me a reading start.

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

In. I'll render you a Quantum Eden.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:siren:Artdome #2 Crits!:siren:

Right, let's do some critting! I want to point out though: remember this is just, like, my opinion, man. Just cos I say something doesn't mean it's 100% true, you're totally allowed to go 'no, actually, I think you're wrong' - I find it really easy when I receive crits to accept them as gospel and compromise my work, harder to just cherry-pick the useful bits.

I am loving amazed none of you stuck parental advisory stickers on your album covers.

Al!

I really like the band name, and love the price tags - good details that add a lot to the piece. Especially that the record has clearly been discounted, that's such a nice touch! The album title doesn't do as much for me, it's a bit bland (though not actively bad) after those nice touches, and not so well integrated into the image. Even just a change of font would help, or hand drawing over the font to break up the type's perfection.

The main image is nicely done, I like the softness of the brush/image, it works well with the super-chill subject matter. The colours, ditto, all very warm and soft. The composition could be stronger, though, the horizon line is dead-centre, and the cliff is just kind of there. That's the main thing that doesn't work for me, if you improved that the image would be much stronger. The colours... They're starting to be too much, I'm not sure if a more limited palette would help - colour isn't my strongest area, but it might be something to consider.

Taxi Mandate are still together, and they've actually got a quite loyal following around the local open-mike circuit. They mostly look and act like Steven Universe's dad - they're great to go see if you want a nice chilled out evening with a couple of frosty ones sometime mid summer.

Sedgr

Congratulations! A super-slick entry, it really worked for me. I'm digging the whole cyberpunk/vaporwave vibe - I don't entirely know what grunge electronica is, but it looks pretty sweet.

I like the minimalism of your design - it would have been really easy to overcomplicate the background buildings, good job on not doing that. The taxi itself is sweeeet, you've made great use of 3D there, and it grabs the eye nicely (being the brightest and most complex element). That's really what worked for me, the great contrast and simplicity. The street lights and road are nice set dressing, I like how the road slopes down. It reminds me of the old Syndicate game.

I like the colour scheme, nice warm-cold balance and very chill. I'm not sure how you made the band title work with it but it looks good. The only problem is the 'watch area' sign, it seems a bit bright - I'd have done it the same red as the band text.

Your text work is probably the weakest area, the 'hotel' in the background is fighting with the artist/album - while it does lead the eye nicely down, it's as bright and sharp as the non-image-text. I'd recommend dimming and blurring it a little. Ditto the 'watch area' text.

Done a quick photoshop edit to show you what I mean:

Just details, though, the image in general is really strong. The song listing was great, and just another aspect in building up the theme - I feel like I could dig up one of Taxi Mandate's albums when I want some chill backing tracks - you absolutely succeeded at the challenge of visually describing the band.

Taxi Mandate's videos are all 27m long, and consist of journeys around a super-low-poly cyber-city. The music is made by feeding bank notes into a vintage Moog, and it makes everyone over 30 irrationally angry. There's a bit of an in-joke (or maybe a weird attempt at viral marketing?) with reaction videos to their vids on youtube, and reaction vids to those vids, and so on - search 'Taxi Mandate Reaction Chain' and you'll find them.

Tayacan

This one didn't work so well for me - mainly because the pupil is so small. It's a heavily-stylised iris, and it wasn't immediately obvious that the pic was an eye. Being so small, it also makes the figure-reflections small, and it's pretty hard to make out what they're doing. Dancing? Fighting? I think it would have been much better to up the size of the pupil to maybe half the diameter of the iris and increase the figure-size to match. Ambiguity is fine, but it should be deliberate. If you really wanted to keep it small, I'd lose the figures or have them reflected over the whole eye.

Stylistically, I'd probably have had some of the 'spokes' thin to nothing rather than completely connecting the pupil and rim.

Your text-work and colour palette are well done, they've got that nod-to-retro thing going on - I'm guessing they've got a heavy dose of rockabilly inspiration, something of that era.

Adequate Revelation tended go on about tube amps in their interviews, they were all total gear-heads. Not quite shoe-gaze, but they'd probably sell their souls for a vintage fuzz box. They were grotesquely successful for one album, sold to all the nostalgic drive-time dads, then they split due to creative differences shortly after the flop of their second album. I always thought that one was under-rated, honestly, I really enjoy a couple of the riffs even if it's over-produced.

Sigma 6

I was watching the progress of your entry on the daily drawing thread, and it was so hard not to comment! While I think it was a smart move to get some feedback on your work as you went, I think you should have more faith in your own decisions - you seemed very unsure of yourself at each stage. On the other hand, you crowd-sourced a really good image, so it clearly worked.

I like your concept, it's really simple and it works. Mooneye creepily stares over the landscape in an old polaroid, nice! Good font work, it was a really clever idea to make the date stamp into the album title. It's not particularly easy to read, but it's obviously-enough text that people will put the effort in to do it, and that hooks them in.

I really like the aging you've done on this, and the way you've presented it in general is great. Except - what put me off is that it's so orange! Just a bit too heavy on a blending layer, I think. If you'd balanced the colours a little better, let the sky pop a bit more, you'd have had it. It feels a little, um, flat as-is.

Oh, and you should use a higher-res wood texture. :cheeky: Particularly in the bottom-right, it's quite pixellated, and it just drags the pic down a bit. And I've just noticed your background pic has the original moon in it still - not a deal-breaker, but it'd have been better to shop it out.

I didn't really listen to Adequate Revelation growing up - I was a metaller and there was a whole tribal thing going on. My skater mate in the year above was kind of into them, though, and sometimes he'd stick them on when we smoked a joint or two in his parent's garage. My tastes have mellowed as I got older, and I've been listening to them more, it's really nostalgic. I wonder what happened to Dan?

ReadingAtWork

"literally my first attempt painting in photoshop" gently caress youuuuu this is well good! I absolutely love your cocktail-spear! The technique is maybe a bit crude in the background, but you don't notice that because corpse-cocktail grabs your attention so well! Hell, the roughness could easily be just a stylisation. The colours are great, it's a real tropical-beach-with-a-twist-of-sinister vibe!

So why didn't you win?

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Bad text layout makes me unreasonably angry. And that 'with the' is horrible! You could have stacked them if you needed to save space, or shrunk the 'with the', but the 'floating above the other words, off to the side of the space they should be in' look made me deeeeeply unhappy.

It makes me even more sad because you torpedoed a great entry that clearly had a lot of love put into it with a thirty-second lapse! :eng99:

Nitro Hitch's album was a weird one - there's that one track everyone knows, of course, and the single's B-side. But they're such an eclectic mix of tracks that they don't really feel like an album. You never think 'yeah, I could listen to No Regrets now', you just think 'Oh, I'm really in the mood for the one about the dying jellyfish trying to get home'. I guess it's why they split after just one album, all the members had such different styles. I heard they're thinking of doing a reunion tour soon, though.

lofi fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 16, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thank you for the critique and especially thank you for the tip on the text. i felt the same way about it, but text is really not something im super comfortable with yet so i didnt know what to do about it

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Thanks for the crit! You have good points. :)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the crit lofi! Next time my graphic design will be perfect, and I shall bathe in the blood of my rivals! :argh:

quote:

I am loving amazed none of you stuck parental advisory stickers on your album covers.

I came this close to doing that. I only pulled it out on a whim at the last minute because I thought it made things look cluttered.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
The Queen of Mars calls to me ...

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Thanks for the critique Lofi! I like your mockup of the changes, and agree it looks better that way.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I feel strangely drawn to "Zodiac Clone" so I'm in. And thank you GBS thread talking about good threads throughout the forums or I would have missed this.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Aight, this seems fun. I'm grabbing The Plague of the Plant People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

As judge for the Artdome this week I can't really make an official entry but I wanted to do a piece for the challenge anyway. So I did up one of the prompts and timelapsed the sculpting.

Did my best youtuber impression and its a little wonky but I've never done video content before.

https://youtu.be/vdkP9rM4olM

End result:

Is it worthwhile to do? I would do more if people like them. Takes a bit of time to get it together but I don't mind it.

Also everyone feel free to double up on the title prompts if one strikes your fancy. Different interpretations of the same title by different people are interesting to see as well.