Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's the same episode with the dumbest "mystery" in the show.

Sherlock gets a case from an Underground expert about a man who was seen getting onto a train but who never got off it.

It turns out there is a tunnel that isn't marked on the maps which the expert had forgotten about. That's it.

Nah, the dumbest is the time a boomerang did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A Feast for Crows is easily my favourite of the books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dragonatrix posted:

Nah, the dumbest is the time a boomerang did it.

I didn't like that bit of HBomb's video. The boomerang didn't feel any more ridiculous than a bunch of stuff in the books (eg The Speckled Band) and it's an actual mystery rather than a dude forgetting that a thing exists.

HBomberguy's also wrong about fair play mysteries in his video too. Lots of Sherlock Holmes stories are completely unsolvable by a reader (again, The Speckled Band). You can debate about whether that's a good aspect to keep but it's always been there.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Or the whole deal with Sherlock's "death". Not only did they not actually explain it, you were a goddamn idiot for even CARING about it. I think some guy did a video about it even.

Not sure if you're facetious, but hbomberguy did a video an hour and half pretty much ranting about all the ways Sherlock sucks. He makes a couple of great points, particularly about [i] that[/] woman and boomerangs, but i feel he's a bit off base with the appeal of Sherlock. I think the primary appeal to a huge chunk of the fanbase is watching Sherlock be a smarmy oval office superhero detective, it's ok that actual detecting takes a back seat because they want to see Sherlock be cool and awesome, and that's ultimately what the supporting cast is there for, to show how fantastic and sexy Sherlock is.

Edit: oh wow was i slow with this one

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I was always pissed that on the baskerville hound the vital cigar leftover clue ia only revealed when sherlock solves the crimethata loving bullshit!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

what really blew my mind is when i found out he's a dwarf.

An Alabama dwarf at that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean the boomerang isn’t just stupid because it relies on information the audience isn’t privy to but also that there’s no real logical through-line for the characters either. Holmes just kinda magically figures out the answer based off a single look.

The answer is what it is in order to make a thematic point (the hiker dying by his own hand) but reaching that thematic point requires the plot to twist itself into weird dream logic. Which is a microcosm of what Hbomb finds unappealing about the show, that it treats Sherlock’s deduction like a superpower. It’s a perfectly valid point

also making that point using the boomerang scene is funny.
and dream Adler calls Holmes “the new sexy”

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 2, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

HBomberguy's also wrong about fair play mysteries in his video too. Lots of Sherlock Holmes stories are completely unsolvable by a reader (again, The Speckled Band). You can debate about whether that's a good aspect to keep but it's always been there.

Yeah, there wasn't really an expectation that the mysteries should be fair or solvable by the reader in detective fiction at the time. A lot of early stories, like most of the Holmes mysteries and Poe's short stories before that, relied on ridiculous pseudo-science twists or the detective straight up not revealing clues to surprise readers. The whodunnit aspect of the mystery was firmly cemented in with Agatha Christie and other Golden Age writers in the 1930s and 40s.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tying into my, uh, argument a couple of pages ago is this dive into The Last OG on TBS. I don't really agree with the premise that white thinkpiece writers don't like nonwhite TV shows- lots of PoC fronted and written shows get press and praise. But if it's as real about deep systemic issues as Adler says it is, then I have to imagine that's why it's overlooked. It's similar to how Sorry To Bother You got squat come awards season. It really brings the internet stereotype of the Brooklyn thinkpiece writer into focus. Also, it's on TBS and they do a poor job of promoting their original shows.

With all that said, I'm interested. I've only seen subway ads for it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

There is actually a huge difference in the way critics respond, review and assign value to shows with minority casts. I wrote an entire article about it for Black Enterprise magazine.

I don't want to link it because they never paid me and they don't deserve the traffic but I can quote it if anyone is interested and it's not considered too much of a derail

But anyway some shows getting praise from some outlets in no way means there is parity.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sucks that you got screwed by them (that's the writing industry for you) but I'd like to read it, or at least as much as you're willing to share.

There's definitely not parity, and given the racial and economic background of most critics, there won't be for a while, but I feel like it's gotten at least slightly better, certainly compared to the beginning of the decade.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 2, 2019

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

Sucks that you got screwed by them (that's the writing industry for you) but I'd like to read it, or at least as much as you're willing to share.

There's definitely not parity but I feel like it's gotten at least slightly better.

I can't tell if it's gotten better or not. Keep in mind this was written in 2015 it's my first article ever and omg it's pretty bad in hindsight and there's a lot of like to add or change but anyway this is my sticking point

quote:

Many reviewers and fans have urged people to watch Agents of SHIELD, or Arrow, admitting the first seasons of each shows aren’t great, or should be skipped entirely. It’s kind of alarming that shows with white leads are allowed to have an entire first season of mediocrity (at best) but a show with a black lead actress, who is featured prominently in marketing, is doomed if even one episode underperforms.

I think there’s a larger conversation to be had about how racism effects reviewers and how racial bias is fed to its audience, who in turn ignore a show because that well has been poisoned. At a time where reviewers are asking if “diversity has gone too far" and some are even rooting for black shows to fail, we need to have this conversation sooner rather than later.

It should also be noted that this is in response to deadline saying there was too much minority casting in the 2015 pilots season.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twor6RYVtdQ
haha holy poo poo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

We don't deserve Jim Sterling.

Koalas March posted:

I can't tell if it's gotten better or not.
I think it has, but not by much, and it won't stand to improve that much more if critics continue to be mostly white, mostly privileged, and mostly economically comfortable as they are now. When people derisively say that these types are all in Brooklyn, they're not talking about Brownsville or Brighton Beach.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 2, 2019

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So apparently CTC and CA drama has drawn Cinematic Venom into the middle of it. Now there drama surrounding ERod and everybody else. This is just a clusterfuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfHJJFN5Mg

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Koalas March posted:

I can't tell if it's gotten better or not. Keep in mind this was written in 2015 it's my first article ever and omg it's pretty bad in hindsight and there's a lot of like to add or change but anyway this is my sticking point

It should also be noted that this is in response to deadline saying there was too much minority casting in the 2015 pilots season.
That seems on-point to me, at least when it comes to superhero stuff. I mean, it feels like hardly anyone talks about Cloak & Dagger or Runaways as opposed to the Netflix Marvel stuff or Agents of SHIELD, even though both get better (well, I know C&D is basically firing on all cylinders after the first few episodes - I only know about Runaways second-hand but apparently season 2's an improvement), and they both have POC leads. I mean I suppose it has something to do with them being on different platforms, as well. I mean, at least they both got second seasons, and I suppose if they last long enough to get on Disney's new streaming service then they might get more exposure. It feels like Cloak & Dagger's been getting consistently good critical reviews, at least. It's that not very many people are watching it.
Jesus Christ the games industry is broken.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 2, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean I suppose it has something to do with them being on different platforms, as well.
I think this has something to do with it. Some platforms and channels are better at and more willing to give publicity to their content than others. I think back to what RLM said about Annihilation: it's a sci-fi movie about women scientists of different races and sexual preferences. If this were a movie Paramount cared about, you'd be unable to escape the hype. But they didn't, so it was released to very little fanfare in the US and dumped to Netflix in the rest of the world.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

get that OUT of my face posted:

I think this has something to do with it. Some platforms and channels are better at and more willing to give publicity to their content than others. I think back to what RLM said about Annihilation: it's a sci-fi movie about women scientists of different races and sexual preferences. If this were a movie Paramount cared about, you'd be unable to escape the hype. But they didn't, so it was released to very little fanfare in the US and dumped to Netflix in the rest of the world.

Yeah, which why I figure C&D and runaways getting packed into Disney's new streaming service would at least get more eyes on them. They're on what, Hulu & Amazon Prime right now? Whereas a lot of marvel fans will presumably subscribe to that since they're not putting any new Marvel movies (outside of the co-productions with Sony) on Netflix any more.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 2, 2019

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

volts5000 posted:

So apparently CTC and CA drama has drawn Cinematic Venom into the middle of it. Now there drama surrounding ERod and everybody else. This is just a clusterfuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfHJJFN5Mg
Lol is he seriously trying to make that Erod dude look like a bad guy for getting annoyed at tweets like this? https://twitter.com/LORI_BISCHE/status/1145308549733670913
They're treating real people like their favorite anime characters who just need to get to the big kiss and make up episode. It's self entitled and gross. Dude gives me the creeps.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sarcopenia posted:

Lol is he seriously trying to make that Erod dude look like a bad guy for getting annoyed at tweets like this? https://twitter.com/LORI_BISCHE/status/1145308549733670913
They're treating real people like their favorite anime characters who just need to get to the big kiss and make up episode. It's self entitled and gross. Dude gives me the creeps.

Like I said, it just looks like a big clusterfuck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel bad for erod's mouth.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ghostlight posted:

what really blew my mind is when i found out he's a dwarf.

Credit where credit is due, the Batman vs Bane fight scene is really well framed. Tom Hardy is something like four inches shorter than Bale and yet he consistently looks like a massive dude in that scene.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Edit: I no longer believe the rumors and allegations I previously posted are credible, please disregard.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 3, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Black Spine episode 3! And this time they pick by playing Jenga totally-original-game Junka.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

After watching that video I watched his CTC documentary and then I found allegations that Brad beat Jillian (his first wife) in the comments:

Now, grain of salt (this is a Youtube comment section after all) but loving :yikes: if that's true. Does anyone know anything about this?

I know about the porch thing at least. That story always seemed kind of suspect, not going to lie, him getting absolutely demolished and winding up in the hospital from falling less than five feet off of a porch and onto his front lawn. If the rest is true then holy gently caress :stare:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Edit: I no longer believe the rumors and allegations I previously posted are credible, please disregard.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 3, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dragonatrix posted:

Black Spine episode 3! And this time they pick by playing Jenga totally-original-game Junka.

thank god for this to break up this terrible poo poo. Like, not saying 'lol don't care about a dude beating his wife' obviously but boy does this page need funny idiots making fun of movies

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A good example of a cliffhanger would be the show Legend of Galactic Heroes. The penultimate episode of season 1 ends with the main-character about to get shot. The next episode has his man-crush 'buddy' take the bullet and die. This prompts some drastic action from the main-character and permanently changes the dynamic of the show. The story takes a different course than anticipated and a number of charactres wonder how history would be differed if man-crush 'buddy' had lived. No season of the show felt the need to end with cheap suspense.

Installments that end with a cliffhanger promising change seldom follow through. How many times did Sherlock yank off the audience with Moriarty's return?
Like you need many many more quotes around the word buddy there. They're overtly referred to in terms of being a couple throughout the show.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JordanKai posted:

Credit where credit is due, the Batman vs Bane fight scene is really well framed. Tom Hardy is something like four inches shorter than Bale and yet he consistently looks like a massive dude in that scene.

Check out the framing of Bane and Daggett in this scene (Hardy is several inches shorter than Mendehlson).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fsMvZzV9hM

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Dark Knight Rises was a shitshow of a movie but it was also weirdly the best shot and directed by far, partially because despite being a shitshow Hardy and Bale were both going ham in their roles.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Here, a video about Spider Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxkEgCDHH8

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

yea Dark Knight Rises was a shitshow of a movie but it was also weirdly the best shot and directed by far, partially because despite being a shitshow Hardy and Bale were both going ham in their roles.

the airplane scene that spawned all the memes is put together so hilariously badly it still baffles me that it exists

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Augus posted:

the airplane scene that spawned all the memes is put together so hilariously badly it still baffles me that it exists

It gave us Aidan Gillen’s least worst accent.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dragonatrix posted:

I like how they keep hammering it home that they'll never do a video on Nukie which is for the best since I think the only reason they get that many requests for it was because a bunch of Cinema Snob fans kept sending them tapes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Augus posted:

I don't know if I mangled the punchline of the "you're a big guy!" line in my head or if the movie is just really bad at trying to convey what Hardy meant with his retort.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Dan the unfunny man is holding oki's channel hostage

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know if I mangled the punchline of the "you're a big guy!" line in my head or if the movie is just really bad at trying to convey what Hardy meant with his retort.

latter

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

CIA thinks when Bane says "it would be very painful" he means it would cause Bane pain, so he responds "you're a big guy" in the sense of "you can handle it", so Bane clarifies that he would in fact do violence on CIA, making the act painful to him. hope that helps

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I Before E posted:

CIA thinks when Bane says "it would be very painful" he means it would cause Bane pain, so he responds "you're a big guy" in the sense of "you can handle it", so Bane clarifies that he would in fact do violence on CIA, making the act painful to him. hope that helps

I just wonder if he means "it will be extremely painful for you" (meaning I will rip you in half if you try to take off my mask) or "i am a big guy for someone like you" and my brain never figured which one he meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just wonder if he means "it will be extremely painful for you" (meaning I will rip you in half if you try to take off my mask) or "i am a big guy for someone like you" and my brain never figured which one he meant.

It's the first one, Gillen just delivers the "you're a big guy" line less like a response to Bane's previous answer and more like a stray observation that Bane is ripped.