Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Honestly cyberpower seems to have the homelab style market cornered. Last time I went looking the next closest comparable rackmount unit was like 3 times the cost. I don't have a need for the rack form factor but I have three CyberPower PFCLCD UPSes and have been very pleased with their longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yeah, I'm at 4 years with the Cyberpower unit below, will probably do a battery replacement soon, but it's been rock solid.

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zpzfDbDGKN1V0

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Argue posted:

Google Wifi is only available here in the Philippines as part of a lock-in deal with an ISP, and I haven't seen any stores carrying Ubiquiti. What's the next best option? The ones I've seen in stores are Deco, Covr, Orbi, and Velop.

I would suggest orbi or velop. if you have a hardline(ethernet cabling) between the supposed nodes velop is cheaper, if you don't go orbi as there is supposedly a dedicated backhaul radio.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Taking some advice and going to try to wire cable in the house not outside. What is the name of the round rubber donut things you use to make a hole smaller and have the cable run through the center and it pinches it enough to let the cable go through and keep other stuff out. Am I making sense. :(

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Piggy Smalls posted:

Taking some advice and going to try to wire cable in the house not outside. What is the name of the round rubber donut things you use to make a hole smaller and have the cable run through the center and it pinches it enough to let the cable go through and keep other stuff out. Am I making sense. :(

A cable grommet?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A gland?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

ROJO posted:

A cable grommet?

Yes! Thank you!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

a membrane?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Cable anus?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Well, after waiting for two years with ATT who promised fiber to my area (it's now a block South of my neighborhood), my internet goes down yesterday and they can't get a tech for a week to my area. Probably switching to WOW unless I can figure out why their modem/router can't get service.

If I switch, looks like an Arris Surfboard and T-Link router is the way to go, correct? Speeds are fairly low here (100 Mbps) so I don't see a need for the Gigabit compatible stuff.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Don't get anything that has an Intel Puma.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Not really sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm curious if it is possible to share RAM across computers (mostly linux, treating it as swap space on the "client") over LAN. Assuming this is even possible, could anyone ballpark what performance might be like compared to say using a modern NVMe M.2 as swap space? Also if I did it over 10Gb ethernet how would that compare?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty much anything inside your computer is orders of magnitude quicker to access than something via a network. You'd probably be better off paging onto a 5400RPM hard drive than trying to use a swap partition on a network share.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Got sort of a weird edge case networking question. My wife got a new job working from home and has to use an IP desk phone. It needs Ethernet to work but my wireless router is clear across the house from her desk.

What would be the best solution here? I’ve thought about hauling an older router out in AP mode but would it’s Ethernet ports even work for that?

Even then the older router can’t sustain the same speeds as my newer one so I wouldn’t want other devices connecting to it. Is there something I can connect to the phone that will basically adapt it to work over WiFi?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Try a Powerline adapter

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can she be supplied with an IP phone that has WiFi built into it?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Thanks Ants posted:

Can she be supplied with an IP phone that has WiFi built into it?

They’ve already provided one to us so “no”.. it’s a Polycom model and apparently there is a WiFi adapter made by Netgear that’s officially supported for it but it runs $200 so hoping for a cheaper option.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

skipdogg posted:

Try a Powerline adapter

Powerline is haram. But WiFi Ethernet adapters exist.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

macnbc posted:

What would be the best solution here? I’ve thought about hauling an older router out in AP mode but would it’s Ethernet ports even work for that?

Check if that router has bridge mode. You can use that to do what you want.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A little TP Link travel router will work as a WiFi client device, with the advantage you can power them from USB

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

What kind of CAT cable should I buy to hard connect my computers and game devices to the internet? 5? 5e? 6?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Piggy Smalls posted:

What kind of CAT cable should I buy to hard connect my computers and game devices to the internet? 5? 5e? 6?

6 it's going in the walls.
5e or 6 if not.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

6 or 6a is going to be fine. Honestly 6 because 6a is a pain in the rear end to bend around places.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lambert posted:

Powerline is haram. But WiFi Ethernet adapters exist.

I don't follow this thread closely, but why is powerline "haram"? I'd think that for a low bandwidth application such as this it'd probably perform better than a Wi-Fi bridge.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

A little TP Link travel router will work as a WiFi client device, with the advantage you can power them from USB

These are really slick. I've used them to connect audio receivers and a old xbox 360 where I couldn't run cable, and didn't want to pay a fortune for a specific adapter. Stable, too.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I don't follow this thread closely, but why is powerline "haram"? I'd think that for a low bandwidth application such as this it'd probably perform better than a Wi-Fi bridge.

Power lines are simply not well-suited to carrying data: While it might work at the moment, any other device starting up (a vacuum cleaner, fridge, AC) can cause momentary drops (packet loss) or even severe degradation to the point of unsuitability. It can work okay in some cases, but in general, it's simply a very crappy technology that should be shunned in favor of WiFi whenever possible.

Powerline also puts out a ton of noise into the air, so ham operators are going to hate you for running it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Piggy Smalls posted:

Another point of differentiation: CCA (copper clad aluminium) or copper wire. In general, you don't want CCA anywhere. You probably only need 5e - but depending on the distances and speeds involved, you might want to go for Cat. 6 (2.5G/5G/10G Ethernet)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I mean is there really even a difference between Cat5e versus Cat6 that makes any kind of difference? I guess if you had a free cable laying around, but you can find six foot cables for less than 10$ at this point.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Lambert posted:

Power lines are simply not well-suited to carrying data: While it might work at the moment, any other device starting up (a vacuum cleaner, fridge, AC) can cause momentary drops (packet loss) or even severe degradation to the point of unsuitability. It can work okay in some cases, but in general, it's simply a very crappy technology that should be shunned in favor of WiFi whenever possible.

Powerline also puts out a ton of noise into the air, so ham operators are going to hate you for running it.

maybe if you have old/bad wiring in your house but i've run a sustained gigabit powerline network for years with no problems i highly recommend it especially if you have a crowded wifi space (apartments, dense housing, etc)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I ran powerline for about 3 years with almost zero problems. Once every 6-9 months or so I'd have to powercycle the adapters. They maintained a steady 90mbit connection between rooms which is plenty for VOIP.

A Wi-Fi to ethernet bridge would work as well, but maybe be more finicky. I'm of the opinion powerline is worth a shot. Buy a pair from somewhere with an easy return policy and give them a shot.

The best choice is to have an ethernet cable ran to that room, but I can understand why people don't want to or can't do that.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I've been running into an issue with clients (iOS devices) sporadically losing their connection since I added two access points to my network. What happens is the wifi signal strength still looks fine but the app being used will stop getting data (for example, reddit will stop scrolling or loading comments). This is without moving the clients around. The network consists of an Archer C9 AC1900 main router with two EAP245 V3 AC1750 access points positioned in a bit of a triangle throughout my home. There is some overlap in coverage but all bands are on different channels and everything is on the same SSID name/password (2.4 and 5ghz included). This happens in the living room, for example, which never had issues when it was just the AC1900 main router. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

edit: toggling wifi off and on gets the connection working again.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 1, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

macnbc posted:

Got sort of a weird edge case networking question. My wife got a new job working from home and has to use an IP desk phone. It needs Ethernet to work but my wireless router is clear across the house from her desk.

Even then the older router can’t sustain the same speeds as my newer one so I wouldn’t want other devices connecting to it. Is there something I can connect to the phone that will basically adapt it to work over WiFi?

I have like two or three travel adapters for Ethernet/WiFi if you want one for shipping from Vegas.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

I've been running into an issue with clients (iOS devices) sporadically losing their connection since I added two access points to my network. What happens is the wifi signal strength still looks fine but the app being used will stop getting data (for example, reddit will stop scrolling or loading comments). This is without moving the clients around. The network consists of an Archer C9 AC1900 main router with two EAP245 V3 AC1750 access points positioned in a bit of a triangle throughout my home. There is some overlap in coverage but all bands are on different channels and everything is on the same SSID name/password (2.4 and 5ghz included). This happens in the living room, for example, which never had issues when it was just the AC1900 main router. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

edit: toggling wifi off and on gets the connection working again.

In the past I've run into issues with running access points with differing wifi capabilities on the same SSID. Either disable the wifi on the AC1900, or move it to a different SSID and see if that resolves your issues.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

In the past I've run into issues with running access points with differing wifi capabilities on the same SSID. Either disable the wifi on the AC1900, or move it to a different SSID and see if that resolves your issues.

Thanks. I will try that!

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Does the edgerouter x have some other step aside from setup wizard for basic functionality? I tried two modems and with both either internet is extremely slow or does not work at all. Modems be in bridge mode.

Obviously everything works just fine with r7000.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Oovee posted:

Does the edgerouter x have some other step aside from setup wizard for basic functionality? I tried two modems and with both either internet is extremely slow or does not work at all. Modems be in bridge mode.

Obviously everything works just fine with r7000.

Which setup wizard are you using? What port on the erx do you have connected to the modem?

You may want to make sure hardware offload is enabled https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I assume a Gigabit Switch is only going to be Gigabit speeds if the Modem/Router it's connected to is Gigabit as well?

The reason I ask is I've recently got a NAS and it turns out my routers/network is slow as poo poo and it's taking me days just to transfer my files to the NAS yet alone actually use the thing.

Was hoping I wasn't going to have to dump more hundreds of dollars on some routers (I use 1 main and another as an access point) on top of all the money I've already spent.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Looten Plunder posted:

I assume a Gigabit Switch is only going to be Gigabit speeds if the Modem/Router it's connected to is Gigabit as well?

The reason I ask is I've recently got a NAS and it turns out my routers/network is slow as poo poo and it's taking me days just to transfer my files to the NAS yet alone actually use the thing.

Was hoping I wasn't going to have to dump more hundreds of dollars on some routers (I use 1 main and another as an access point) on top of all the money I've already spent.

Connect the NAS, computer and router to the switch - that way, Gigabit-capable devices can talk to each other at Gigabit speeds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also make sure every device is actually negotiating at gigabit. Sometimes wonky cables and poo poo can cause devices to negotiate at 100Mbps instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I moved the AP's to a different SSID and seemed to still be getting the same issue in mobile safari. Could the main router having both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands on the same SSID (with no band steering) be a problem?