Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

No tickets (Zendesk), no phone calls (Talkdesk), no shitposting (SA, Discord). The hell else are you supposed to do? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Like Sirotan, I was seriously considering just going home for the day and burning some vacation hours.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What happens when you have too many tabs open in Chrome

https://twitter.com/eastdakota/status/1146065231270907907

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/jgrahamc/status/1145611201759666176?s=19

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

No tickets (Zendesk), no phone calls (Talkdesk), no shitposting (SA, Discord). The hell else are you supposed to do? :mad:

Prowl the watercooler and sow sentiments of trade-unionism.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Woke up this morning to about 3x the normal number of overnight emails. Turns out every one of my deployment servers decided to report the outage, in triplicate.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Woke up this morning to about 3x the normal number of overnight emails. Turns out every one of my deployment servers decided to report the outage, in triplicate.

:rip:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

goondolences

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

IRC.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Ugh, one of the triggers in the new error reporting system is for a service we don't give a gently caress about. It's now flapping...on all 38 servers. Every time it flaps, I get an email. From each server. :psyboom:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have completely missed this CloudFlare outage, was it restricted to the US only?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Apparently I wasn't shitposting early enough on SA because I didn't have issues.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

I have completely missed this CloudFlare outage, was it restricted to the US only?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/cloudflare-worldwide-outage-caused-by-bad-software-deployment/

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

From the depths of imgur
https://imgur.com/gallery/r914hhq

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I do not miss that portion of my early career

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

:aaaaa:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The enormous plug of dust was the best, the upside-down battery second. :thumbsup:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dude is out of his mind not wearing gloves.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Straight in the trash with all of that

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

:catstare:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Merijn posted:

The enormous plug of dust was the best, the upside-down battery second. :thumbsup:

I don't understand how that even happens. I had a tiny dust plug once and the laptop started shutting down every 10 minutes until I fixed it.

Also, obligatory "I don't know how that happened! I found it like that!"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Merijn posted:

Reminds me of a case that was passed on to me when I turned up for my first intern role. I was deskside support for AIG back in 2005, and the building in Dublin was having a full renovation so people were moving from floor to floor every couple of weeks as work started and finished. One user reported that the CD drive in their old Dell Optiplex GX260 SFF box had somehow broken during the move. Upon investigation the solution was to pick up the monitor, move it to one side, grab the machine, flip it over, put the monitor back... and try not to call the dude an idiot.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I had a laptop come in smashed to bits, with practically every internal competent thrown into a ziplock bag. The customer would only say "My baby got to it!" and refused to give any more details. I asked her if she was sure her baby wasn't actually a grizzly bear in disguise and she, for some mysterious reason, got really offended.

The best I can think of is that it got ran over by a car, but even then I wouldn't expect it to be in pieces like that. Maybe dropped from several stories up? The heat sink was bent in some way that I could never have hoped to replicate, and certainly couldn't have done it with a hammer.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You'll be replacing it with the latest MacBook, obviously, right? :downs:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You'll be replacing it with the latest MacBook, obviously, right? :downs:

Fresh out of MacBooks, but we do have this old P-P-P-PowerBook you can borrow.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

Fresh out of MacBooks, but we do have this old P-P-P-PowerBook you can borrow.
Man, I wish this offer was real. :(
I'd take a couple of PowerBook G4s from 2005 or so - they're the last PowerPC generation with the Johnny Ive industrial design before compromises set in (either from a design perspective, or from a hardware perspective).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:jebstare:

The Fool posted:

I do not miss that portion of my early career

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Renegret posted:

I had a laptop come in smashed to bits, with practically every internal competent thrown into a ziplock bag. The customer would only say "My baby got to it!" and refused to give any more details. I asked her if she was sure her baby wasn't actually a grizzly bear in disguise and she, for some mysterious reason, got really offended.

The best I can think of is that it got ran over by a car, but even then I wouldn't expect it to be in pieces like that. Maybe dropped from several stories up? The heat sink was bent in some way that I could never have hoped to replicate, and certainly couldn't have done it with a hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWhYlhfWCI

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

An email came in...

quote:

Hi all,

You will recall my last message about Slack recently and my desire to retire the use of the enterprise version. I have also spoken to many of you about this, although the intended dates have moved forward somewhat.

Due to the duplication of the Slack tool usage at <company> with the Microsoft Teams alternative we will not be renewing the Slack license.

As the license is only renewed annually, we have chosen to terminate the account now. Please take immediate action to store your channels and relocate your integrations as applicable. It is the responsibility of each team to manage their own Slack integrations. Your team channels will disappear and you will lose access to your channel history. Any files stored in the channel will be lost. Any data in the channels will be lost. You will need to make arrangements for data export to avoid this.

This change is imminent depending on when Slack terminates the account - I have rejected the invoice payment today.

There will be some inconvenience caused and I will be happy to discuss your concerns however the decision is made and will not be reviewed. If you choose to renew your Slack license using your credit card please note your manager will need to approve the claim. I understand from what I have read that accounts may drop back to free accounts therefore some collaboration may still be possible. To assist with the transition, in September we will ask the security team to block access to the Slack domains for a period of time to ensure adoption of the endorsed toolset.

I recommend that each team urgently reviews any monitoring integration for production systems as a priority to avoid extended business impact.

So we've been forced onto Teams from today and man, it's bad. It's so bad :(

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It's kinder to never know Slack. I like Teams because I've not used Slack

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, about a a quarter of our org was using slack and were recently forced to use teams exclusively. It has not been a fun transition

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have used both and like both.

That's a super lovely way to handle a product transition though.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

bell jar posted:

An email came in...

That happened to us, but Google Hangouts/Chat.

Apparently I still have a Slack account on my corp email, and there is a team still using it elsewhere in the organization. One of them pinged me on Chat and asked why I wasn't returning their Slack messages.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I have used both and like both.

That's a super lovely way to handle a product transition though.
Yeah, holy loving poo poo. If we pulled that with one of our products, our business units would loving freak. Also, I hope you're not in finance or healthcare or any other business that has mandatory retention periods. Like, I'm betting that could have been rectified with a ten-minute phone call with the slack rep, and a request for a grace period (even if they billed you for a month for it).

Eikre
May 2, 2009

User with that cracked hinge gets a pass. Laptops can be some really brittle piles of garbage these days; it's some poo poo That Pisses Me Off. I really hoped that economy of scale and the fact that they've had the same form factor for twenty years would have solved the problem even after they started making them for down-market sale but half the machines I see seem to be skating by on the expectation that you never actually, like, bring them anywhere.

That Slack cancelation has me empathetically incensed, too. I haven't been saddled with Teams yet but I've had to use the outlook365 website and it blows. Everything is so big for the sake of touchacreens, so the information density is cut to a third, and some of their elementary composition choices seem like a backslide in immediate clarity compared to software from 1998. I'll learn whatever tool or technology anyone wants me to and comfortably endure the requisite stupid-rear end design decisions, but when it's one of those extremely basic, principal information portals and there's no room to customize or automate it to get my hands around it, then it just filters my whole world through a cognitive haze for eight hours a day.

I don't know, maybe I'm low-key dyslexic or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bell jar posted:

An email came in...

Nice to see that your security operations team has been beaten into submission by lovely execs :negative:

Eikre posted:

I don't know, maybe I'm low-key dyslexic or something.
Nope, everything you said is 100% correct. I only use O365 for long enough to work out how to open a file in the desktop version.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Responsive design, how web 1.9

Just design mobile-only :chaostrump:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
SOCIAL MOBILE GLOBAL

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

There are zoom functions for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kyrosiris posted:

I actually did something like that the first time I ever saw "kindly revert" in a ticket. I had just made a hardware change and they replied to me with "kindly revert on what has been done" and I thought the "on" was a typo or something, so I happily went and undid the hardware changes. :downs: They were furious, and got even more mad when I stated that they asked me to revert what had been done, and I did exactly that.

Luckily my manager was chill and smoothed it over but cripes that was a learning experience. :doh:

I skipped ahead from Oct to this page, and you had just posted the exact same story. I was v confused