Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Ziji posted:

I tried PM'ing OP for slack access, but it says their account can't receive PMs. Is there anyone else I can PM? I'm in a bit of a spot and looking for some support.

Sent.

Edit: and yes that really is the ridiculous current name. It changes a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Haha okay, thanks guys I got the PM! I'll join later today.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Last year my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson.
This year he was diagnosed with dementia caused by Parkinson's

Going to depression nap for a while

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ElMaligno posted:

Last year my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson.
This year he was diagnosed with dementia caused by Parkinson's

Going to depression nap for a while

Hey mags when my dad died suddenly 20 years ago it took me almost 2 years to get my head straight. Talk to people. Do some FaceTime.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Sorry dude.

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016
That sucks man. I know how it is, my Mom was diagnosed with colon cancer and was gone a month and a half later. Make the most of what you have left. I don’t know what kind of relationship you guys have but I do know that it helped me just to let my Mom know how much she was loved when I got the chance. Whether it was literally telling her so or just doing something for her.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Also i ugly cried on my GF lap for 10+ minutes or so while constantly screaming "Its not fair, he has suffered enough"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sorry dude. I can't imagine what you're dealing with.

I would personally recommend, however you can, to start getting therapy now. It will help you process things better as things change for you.

Even if you don't like the therapist and you want to find a new one, keep a regular practice and try to really be unafraid to say what's really getting at you.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Something I heard that I want to clear up:

If I go to a psychologist (or even a psychiatrist, but with no intention of getting a prescription for anything) and use my insurance, do insurance companies require a diagnosis for them to pay?

I started seeing a counselor about a month ago and I pay cash because she doesn’t have to keep any type of records. She said in order for insurance to reimburse her, she would need to provide them a diagnosis after so many visits, and I want to know how true that is. I know she would have to keep records regardless, I’m just curious about the diagnosis part.

E: a quick google tells me that this IS the case. Probably something worth knowing.

colachute fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 11, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

colachute posted:

Something I heard that I want to clear up:

If I go to a psychologist (or even a psychiatrist, but with no intention of getting a prescription for anything) and use my insurance, do insurance companies require a diagnosis for them to pay?

I started seeing a counselor about a month ago and I pay cash because she doesn’t have to keep any type of records. She said in order for insurance to reimburse her, she would need to provide them a diagnosis after so many visits, and I want to know how true that is. I know she would have to keep records regardless, I’m just curious about the diagnosis part.

E: a quick google tells me that this IS the case. Probably something worth knowing.

I am not a therapist yet (one more year to go for my MSW) but yeah they need to diagnose you with something from the DSM or say you have not reached a clinical level and stop. Insurance does not want to pay if you don't have something technically wrong but cash is king as you found out.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
So I want to know if this is a good idea or if I'm going to gently caress myself. I have an appointment to talk to Doc next week about a series of reoccurring nightmares I've been having for seven years or so. If he refers me to a therapist will that gently caress me out of my retirement? I have four years left and I'd rather deal with it then get it fixed if it's going to gently caress me.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Melthir posted:

So I want to know if this is a good idea or if I'm going to gently caress myself. I have an appointment to talk to Doc next week about a series of reoccurring nightmares I've been having for seven years or so. If he refers me to a therapist will that gently caress me out of my retirement? I have four years left and I'd rather deal with it then get it fixed if it's going to gently caress me.

Uhhh, seek treatment, that shouldn't affect your retirement at all.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Uhhh, seek treatment, that shouldn't affect your retirement at all.

I'm just worried about getting the boot. From what I've heard mil med doesn't have the greatest track record for this poo poo.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Melthir posted:

I'm just worried about getting the boot. From what I've heard mil med doesn't have the greatest track record for this poo poo.

If you get the boot for the sad brains it comes with retirement.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I finally got a new therapist appointed by tricare and got an appointment with him.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice! No pushback at all?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LingcodKilla posted:

Nice! No pushback at all?

only pushback i had was for my security clerance investigation.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Test are in my dad doesn't have dementia. Memories issues are from unrelated mental/physical health issues and temporary.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Test are in my dad doesn't have dementia. Memories issues are from unrelated mental/physical health issues and temporary.

That is great news El Mags.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Great news.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
That’s great to hear, brother.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

That’s great to hear, brother.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I got woken up very early this morning by my fiancée. She had just gotten home from hanging out with friends; I had left much earlier to go to sleep after spending the day in the bike park and in preparation for volunteer trail work that I was organizing. While she was riding a bikeshare bike home, she was waiting in the bike lane for a light to change when a car plowed into her from behind, absolutely destroying the bike and leaving her dazed and with skinned hands and knees but otherwise OK. The car took off (I’m guessing the driver was probably DUI) but somehow, she had the presence of mind to get the plate number and tell two witnesses to remember it. Police showed up and took a report, and paramedics threw some bandages on her after assessing that she wasn’t seriously hurt and she declined transport to a hospital.

I stayed up with her and cleaned and rebandaged her wounds, which are fortunately rather superficial, then laid in bed in kind of a half awake state dreaming that instead of her waking me up to tell me what happened, it was the cops telling me she’d been killed. She seems like she’s in an ok headspace right now, but I expect that she may need to decompress a bit as the adrenaline wears off. She’s just going to spend the day resting, so I’m going to take care of the dog and all the chores and make her a fancy dinner tonight. Right now, I just kind of feel like I’m in a daze that occasionally drifts into near panic in knowing how close I came to losing the love of my life, gratitude that it could have been so much worse that it wasn’t, and murderous rage at the driver who hit someone and then fled.

I’m ok and if I need to vent more, I’ll go to the Discord. I guess what I’m trying to say is never miss an opportunity to tell the people you love that you do, because I got a fearsome reminder about how fragile life is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress dude. That’s fortunate. Hope they nail that bum.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Glad she’s ok buddy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Treat everyone your best y'all. I'm so relieved to hear your wife is alive and only scuffed up.

I got hit by a car jaywalking as a teen and when the adrenaline wore off, I started puking everywhere. It really messed me up physically for days.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery to both of you.

Also, casual therapy reminder; those kinds of things need time to process.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So is there something I should worry about wrt my benefits if I get diagnosed with ADHD?.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
No? Why would there be? You served over 8 years right? Anything wrong with you at the end of your service if you did at least 8 years is presumed service connected, including ADHD.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
This week I'm going to go to Behavioral Health for the first time.

I'm so loving worn out. Just loving done. I'm on the BDE staff and treated like a CPT that's fighting to earn a command rather than a CPT that's on the way out.

I just want to make it to the day I sign out on ETS leave without doing anything that violates the UCMJ or costs me my GI Bill.

I can't sleep without sleeping pills from the shopette because I spend all night wondering what bullshit is going to get dropped on me the next day. Similarly by mid afternoon on Sunday I'm stressed out about how much Monday is going to suck.

I don't have a shred of patience left for anything the Army does. I only have a few months of work left but the poo poo just keeps piling up. The expectations keep getting higher.

I just want to be happy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

proud of you, for reals

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hang in there man it’s almost done.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Major isn't that hard to get

e: get yourself some help, dude. The army sucks and you're nearly done

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 6, 2019

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mustang posted:

This week I'm going to go to Behavioral Health for the first time.

I'm so loving worn out. Just loving done. I'm on the BDE staff and treated like a CPT that's fighting to earn a command rather than a CPT that's on the way out.

I just want to make it to the day I sign out on ETS leave without doing anything that violates the UCMJ or costs me my GI Bill.

I can't sleep without sleeping pills from the shopette because I spend all night wondering what bullshit is going to get dropped on me the next day. Similarly by mid afternoon on Sunday I'm stressed out about how much Monday is going to suck.

I don't have a shred of patience left for anything the Army does. I only have a few months of work left but the poo poo just keeps piling up. The expectations keep getting higher.

I just want to be happy.

I don't know your background, it sounds like you are on your way out already? I felt similarly about the Air Force when was I was a captain and in the process of separating. The bureaucracy and treatment of your 'fellow' officers can be crushing at times. But it gets better.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

behavioral help is a good step to helping with that though dude

seriously good on you for taking control of that poo poo and working on it. you'll feel so much better when you're out but in the meantime no shame in getting a lil help

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Good on you dude. How many days/months left?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
3 months of actual work left, hopefully. Then I'll clear and take 2 months of ETS leave.

Just hoping the Army doesn't try to gently caress me out of ETS leave.

I don't have any trust in my leadership. To them an officer leaving the military is someone to be squeezed for every last drop until they ETS.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It isn't only officers that are treated that way lmao

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That sounds a lot like how I was feeling a year and a half ago.

I want to hear that you get your two months of ETS leave. Those mother fuckers refused to sign off on mine because I had just come off of two months of convalescent leave, and I had to fight them tooth and nail just to get that. Take every single shred of poo poo from them that you deserve.

Seriously, that last time you leave the gate knowing you'll never have to go back is the best feeling in the world, and it's almost here for you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Sometimes I remember dumb poo poo from the army and it's hard to convince myself that that poo poo is real life and caused me some very real stress because it's so loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Started EMDR therapy today. It was weird.