Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

Is the loot and difficulty curve in BL1 hosed up normally, or is it something in the enhanced edition? I'm continually finding loot and enemies that are five or six levels higher or lower than my character, often in the same locations. When my dude was 16 the vending machines were full of level 22 gear, and the Scorpio turret is, uh, not great a lot of the time and generally works better as a tank than as a source of damage.

Also despite the bizarre variability in loot, I might find a gun that's an upgrade every three hours or so? I've using the same combat rifle since I was level 12 and I'm 24 right now.

Normal for BL1. Maps weren't as segregated by level as they are in the newer games - the starter area has skull-icon badguys 30 seconds away from level 1-2 bandits and skags near Firestone.

Weapon drops are pretty poor as well, but used to be worse - the Enhanced Edition increased the drop rates of decent guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Otacon posted:

Normal for BL1. Maps weren't as segregated by level as they are in the newer games - the starter area has skull-icon badguys 30 seconds away from level 1-2 bandits and skags near Firestone.

Weapon drops are pretty poor as well, but used to be worse - the Enhanced Edition increased the drop rates of decent guns.

It also handed you a quest to kill those guys when they were still very, very much still skull ranked

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pope Guilty posted:

Is the loot and difficulty curve in BL1 hosed up normally, or is it something in the enhanced edition? I'm continually finding loot and enemies that are five or six levels higher or lower than my character, often in the same locations. When my dude was 16 the vending machines were full of level 22 gear, and the Scorpio turret is, uh, not great a lot of the time and generally works better as a tank than as a source of damage.

Also despite the bizarre variability in loot, I might find a gun that's an upgrade every three hours or so? I've using the same combat rifle since I was level 12 and I'm 24 right now.

I just played through the whole thing co-op, but I found that some of the enemies in the first area were way overleveled, to where I had to grind a bit and do every single sidequest to level up enough to not get one-shot by them, but after that things seemed to level out through the end of the game. I think I only even ran into like 4 or 5 weapons that were higher level than I was, most of the time it was lower level or close to it unless I used a golden chest.

The scorpio turret was pretty essential for me though, especially once you can buff it a bit with skills and element mods. It utterly destroyed the Crimson Lance guys with the corrosive mod. At worst it keeps enemies busy so you can flank them and cap them in the head.

I think the most frustrating thing for me in BL1 was how the sniper rifle wouldn't hit its mark 99% of the time. Like I'd catch an enemy standing still, have the reticle zoomed in right in the center of their face, and it would somehow miss every single god damned time.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Sniper accuracy was completely hosed up in Borderlands. I mean, not in a buggy way, but in how it's calculated. I don't remember the exact details, but basically anything below 99% accurate is completely useless.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dahl is basically manifest destiny America crossed with blackwater mercenaries on a macro scale and an army surplus store. Atlas might have become a superpower thanks to the Promethea Vault, but Dahl is the other big player in the Six Galaxies, with the other manufacturers being smaller players or only weaponry focused gun suppliers. Maliwan are cultists, Vladof are anarchists, Torgue is Torgue, Jakobs is a family run specialty item shop, Tediore is space walmart, and gently caress knows if S&S Munitions is even still in business.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Nah, Maliwan is the boutique luxury brand. They're all refined elegance. Vladof is communist, or really, they use communist Russian aesthetics.

I believe S&S is coming back in Borderlands 3.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

FoolyCharged posted:

It also handed you a quest to kill those guys when they were still very, very much still skull ranked

bl1 has problems but they gave you a quest you were purposefully underleveled for at the same time it opened up side quests to teach you the importance and fundamentals of side quests.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

FoolyCharged posted:

People didn't fear Bone Head for nothing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

watho posted:

bl1 has problems but they gave you a quest you were purposefully underleveled for at the same time it opened up side quests to teach you the importance and fundamentals of side quests.

Yup, that and moe and marley were very much so there to teach the player that skulls mean run the gently caress away and come back later. And they taught that lesson very, very well

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Armored creatures could be a bitch in BL1 even if you were the right level. Spiderants and big skags in BL2 are comparative pushovers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pope Guilty posted:

That's what generally has gone on with me, I'd end up using a weapon for a ridiculously long time because the RNG had given me a gun that was stupid good for it's level(like I had a shotgun that lasted me from level 13 when I got it, till just a couple levels ago at around 29 when I finally found a shotgun that dealt more damage than it)

As for the Turret, for one thing you'll want to put some upgrades into it before it becomes especially good, and it becomes a lot better once you start getting higher tier elemental artifacts on it(especially Shock or Corrosive)

Otacon posted:

Seems to depend on the area, for example Old Haven basically has every other enemy drop at least one item, often two or more in fact, over the course of clearing that area last night I had gone from around 500,000 cash to a little over a million, mostly from selling all the excess crap I kept finding, of course I promptly spent more than six hundred thousand of it on a really fancy gun that popped up in one of the vending machines

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Armored creatures could be a bitch in BL1 even if you were the right level. Spiderants and big skags in BL2 are comparative pushovers.

Wait wait, are you telling me Alpha Skags have armor, and that's why they're so hard to kill? And we should be using corrosive instead of fire?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yes, also they take more damage from behind iirc

e:

Judge Tesla posted:

armored enemies in BL1 aren't like the ones in BL2, you have to go for the weak point, corrosive is almost identical to fire in BL1.

I’m almost certain this is incorrect, armored enemies definitely take more damage from corrosion

watho fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 25, 2019

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Solumin posted:

Wait wait, are you telling me Alpha Skags have armor, and that's why they're so hard to kill? And we should be using corrosive instead of fire?

You shoot them in the mouth when its open, armored enemies in BL1 aren't like the ones in BL2, you have to go for the weak point, corrosive is almost identical to fire in BL1.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

watho posted:

Yes, also they take more damage from behind iirc

e:

I’m almost certain this is incorrect, armored enemies definitely take more damage from corrosion

Most things native to Pandora seem to die quicker from shooting them in the rear end

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, I've been able to punch above my weight with spiderants by constantly running and jumping around and unloading Sledge's Shotgun into their asses.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

You shoot them in the mouth when its open, armored enemies in BL1 aren't like the ones in BL2, you have to go for the weak point, corrosive is almost identical to fire in BL1.

Corrosive definitely does extra damage to BL1 Crimson Lance in the same way it does Hyperion bots in BL2. The secret is that for some reason they used "armor" to mean two different things, spiderants and alpha skags aren't "armored" in the sense that corrosive does more damage but rather in the sense that they essentially have a shield over their front half and you're just not supposed to shoot there. This is still true in 2 but they significantly reduced the damage penalty for hitting them from the front.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

I think that's mostly just an excuse to play the voice line about how you should run away from enemies with skulls.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well just beat the main story for Borderlands 1, and man it's kinda obvious they had to rush through the last quarter to a third of the game when they were making it, a lot of it just feels rather barebones compared to the rest of the game(also the Crimson Lance were a mediocre enemy faction)

I imagine my perspective is a bit skewed though as I spent most of that last third overleveled since I did almost every sidequest(except a couple of those "find all the weapon parts" missions)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This morning, the BL2 community patch worked fine. Then I went to the dentist. When I came back, it spat out a couple error messages. I don't understand anything anymore!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
blararggg I am going nuts trying to get a Sniper Class Mod for my Zer0 (One Shot would be best). Is there anything at all I can do to help my chances here or do I have to keep cursing the random bad guy drops and shop rolls? I admit I've seen white ones for sale in shops but c'mon I need something with skill bonuses.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Save editors. gently caress grinding for class mods, it's extremely painful and not fun.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I burned 100 golden keys and got a variety of class mods but none of them Sniper (and most were for Mechromancer because RNG I guess [and none of them were good for my Gunzerker either]). 200 golden keys to go. :suicide:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the snowman is a good go to for finding random crap, if you don't mind the dull repetition

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

SuperKlaus posted:

I burned 100 golden keys and got a variety of class mods but none of them Sniper (and most were for Mechromancer because RNG I guess [and none of them were good for my Gunzerker either]). 200 golden keys to go. :suicide:

Can you still just lock whatever file to read only and open an infinite amount of chests without running out of keys? Not that it matters much with the amount of keys you can get now.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Krazuel posted:

Can you still just lock whatever file to read only and open an infinite amount of chests without running out of keys? Not that it matters much with the amount of keys you can get now.

Last I checked the profile editor still works too. I gave myself a ton a few years ago and still haven't burned through half of them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If you're on console... I'm sorry.

If you're on PC, just grab Gibbed and save yourself the hassle. Finding new gear as you make your way through the game is cool but hunting for that 0.0001% chance at the endgame is something you should always skip.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Judge Tesla posted:

nah, corrosive is way better on spiderants than fire. Crimson Lance guys too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mailer posted:

If you're on PC, just grab Gibbed and save yourself the hassle. Finding new gear as you make your way through the game is cool but hunting for that 0.0001% chance at the endgame is something you should always skip.

Seriously this. Especially for the rare class mods. The grind for those is so obnoxious.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Mailer posted:

You can....technically still edit on console. If, you know, you have a PS3, a PS4, a copy of both games for the PS3, a save editor, a bruteforce program to bypass the save protection, and then, after saving the game again on the PS3, then transfer your character to the PS4 version. It's a one way trip, but if you just want a jumpstart or the like.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Magil of Shadow posted:

You can....technically still edit on console. If, you know, you have a PS3, a PS4, a copy of both games for the PS3, a save editor, a bruteforce program to bypass the save protection, and then, after saving the game again on the PS3, then transfer your character to the PS4 version. It's a one way trip, but if you just want a jumpstart or the like.

Only problem is that I don't think I can Gibbed any character that's been in the new DLC because that isn't on PS3. I donno if the PS3 version will recognize that character with rainbow guns and a higher level than the game allows.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you downloaded your copy of Gibbed awhile back you might want to grab the latest version anyway to deal with characters played since the final DLC came out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Have a bit of Claptrap sounding weird;

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1146090403990577156?s=19

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
#NotMyClaptrap

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

BexGu posted:

#NotMyClaptrap

When he gets expressive it sounds nothing like David Eddings

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

y'all i literally can't tell the difference

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
claptrap was bad and is still bad, hth

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Just pretend he's had a firmware upgrade and let's move on.

He's a loving robot. I'm sad for David Eddings, but he's a loving robot.

/e: dumbassery

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 2, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Just pretend he's had a firmware upgrade and let's move on.

He's a loving robot. I'm sad for Mikey, but he's a loving robot.

David Eddings, not Neumann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Arcsquad12 posted:

David Eddings, not Neumann.

Gah, my bad. Thx for the corretcion.