Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Silver is exceedingly boring but also exists in a permanent state of "kind of clean looking" no matter how much dirt/salt is on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It is - I owned a gray car a while back and it was bland as poo poo, but it had to be completely filthy to look normal-dirty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just try not giving a poo poo it works great

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I have not washed my GTI in 45000 miles and it owns OP

it is silver tho

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
ya, I consider the dirt on my cars to be a paint protection layer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just try not giving a poo poo it works great

Cheap too!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pearl white seeks to keep the dirty look at bay.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

ya, I consider the dirt on my cars to be a paint protection layer

Ablative layer, man - dirt on the car is like the shuttle tiles on re-entry (when they work right and don't kill the astronauts). It burns off and protects our precious waxes and sealants :science:

And before I forget again, did someone here link bigger shift paddles for the GTI? I don't want huge rally style paddles I DO, but something longer would be nice.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 1, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I bought some really cheap ones off ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-7-...B0AAOSwlY1ZKOOn

The fit and finish of them is great. There are others that remove and replace the existing buttons but they also don't take 30 seconds to put on. :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Suburban Dad posted:

I bought some really cheap ones off ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-7-...B0AAOSwlY1ZKOOn

The fit and finish of them is great. There are others that remove and replace the existing buttons but they also don't take 30 seconds to put on. :)

Is that 3M VHB tape?

That poo poo is like the super-glue of tape. It will actually come off IF you can access it to get underneath it with a prying tool. If not you'll break something.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I just got the OEM window deflectors for my two-door GTI and they are totally tits. They install with your bare hands in <5 minutes and now I can crack the window in the rain without showering my window switches. This is mostly so I can smoke cigars as Houston is a lovely place to be outdoors for like half the year, but also lets me crack my windows on days where it might rain and not need to run out if it starts raining. $120 MSRP, found a new set on ebay for ~$110 and considered that a win as everything for this car is kinda pricy.

I sort of want the OEM additional jack points you can get from shopdap.com but $250 for some hunks of rubber is an annoying tax.

Pic:

TrueChaos posted:

And I need to fill up my windshield washer fluid too.

OMG they must have toned it down some, on my '16 it dings like every 30 seconds if the washer fluid is low.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It bings on startup and occasionally overrides the trip counter with the washer fluid signal, but outside of that and the orange triangle it leaves me alone. Bings a lot when you're right around the switch level because it'll go off and on with changes in incline, but the solution is just spray a bunch of fluid so you're past that point and ignore it some more.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Oddhair posted:

I just got the OEM window deflectors for my two-door GTI and they are totally tits. They install with your bare hands in <5 minutes and now I can crack the window in the rain without showering my window switches. This is mostly so I can smoke cigars as Houston is a lovely place to be outdoors for like half the year, but also lets me crack my windows on days where it might rain and not need to run out if it starts raining. $120 MSRP, found a new set on ebay for ~$110 and considered that a win as everything for this car is kinda pricy.

I sort of want the OEM additional jack points you can get from shopdap.com but $250 for some hunks of rubber is an annoying tax.

Pic:

OMG they must have toned it down some, on my '16 it dings like every 30 seconds if the washer fluid is low.

Smoking cigars in your car sounds absolutely revolting, your car must smell like a dumpster fire

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Those deflectors look bad and you should feel bad for smoking in your car

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Oddhair posted:

Hockey pucks are like $3 at any sporting goods store. I use those on my jacks, works just fine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Brought the GTI to CarMax and they show that it has an accident free history. Amazing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahaha, take the money and run.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahaha, take the money and run.

Their offer is lower than I thought it would be with that info. Might still be enough though. I'm at echo Park now for another quote.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Brought the GTI to CarMax and they show that it has an accident free history. Amazing.

lmao i got bitten by this once, showed up on the record 6-8 months after buying

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Hockey pucks are like $3 at any sporting goods store. I use those on my jacks, works just fine.

Good lord, were they blessed by Bobby Orr or something? I get pucks for $1 and I live in a hockey wasteland.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao i got bitten by this once, showed up on the record 6-8 months after buying

It's just whatever Carmax uses. EchoPark knew it had been wrecked. Doesn't matter though as I didn't even think about there being taxes on the buyout which makes it not even remotely worth it. So I guess I've got to drive the poo poo out of a car I don't really want to drive until December. I have 15k miles left to put on it, I'm gonna try to hit 10k so it goes back needing the 40k service.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Good lord, were they blessed by Bobby Orr or something? I get pucks for $1 and I live in a hockey wasteland.

Look man, I don't play hockey and monitor the hockey puck market fluctuation. I bought some ~10 years ago. $1 or $3 is still filed under "cheap" in my memory. :colbert:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So all of a sudden I now own a GTI. Pretty pleased with it so far! It’s nice to have a car that does not produce deep antipathy in me towards it when I am in it. Also Apple CarPlay is super convenient.

Now I just have to not spend all my money on accessories and tuning, which I can tell is going to be hard. If I, uh, were to want to start modding it, maybe I should start with something small like a shift knob and short throw shifter, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yes, if it is a manual expect to replace the clutch if you go with a tune, especially so with a downpipe and matching tune

either way, remove the clutch hydraulic fluid flow restrictor and spring on the clutch pedal

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
heheheh sure.

short throw shifter

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

sneakyfrog posted:

heheheh sure.

short throw shifter

Am I missing something?

It’s been like 7 years since I’ve had a car with a manual transmission, so I haven’t thought about them much (but luckily have been able to stay in practice in my wife’s cars)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
oh, and unplug the soundaktor

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

OBDeleven and a d-dock for your phone are my favorite little things.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My advice is to drive it stock until you get bored

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those deflectors look bad and you should feel bad for smoking in your car

They look bad but are quite functional, a must have in Florida for me.

Also my xB's color is "Army Rock" and is pretty much the exact color of dirt so I rarely wash it :v:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah it's such an improvement in driving experience I don't think I'll want to change anything for a while.

Except maybe the shift knob.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah it's such an improvement in driving experience I don't think I'll want to change anything for a while.

How do I delete someone else’s post?

The shift knob owns!!!!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Don’t get me wrong, I love the way the OEM GTI knob looks but it just feels too light to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

is it the golf ball one

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Apollodorus posted:

Definitely check out Raceseng’s line of shift knobs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i was serious about the two clutch changes i mentioned :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BlackMK4 posted:

oh, and unplug the soundaktor

Don't do this, just spend the $50 on a OBDELEVEN

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

clearly already there!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

revmoo posted:

Don't do this, just spend the $50 on a OBDELEVEN

free vs $50 :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

free vs $50 :hmmyes:

when you get to 20k miles and can't reset your "INSPECTION NOW!" light without it or another scantool like VAGCOM or whatever, it's more worth it. gently caress having to go to the dealer for something so simple.