Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Annath posted:

I'm interested in the Purple 2 (or 3, I'd need to try them out), but they're pricy even at a Queen and not King size.

I see Mattress Firm offers a payment option, so I'm wondering if I could put down most of the cost up front and pay off the rest over a few months.

If you go through the no interest payment option through MF, it's a credit card through Synchrony bank. The length of time you can take it interest free is based on how much you wish to finance, not so much how much your total is. The general heuristic is that your monthy payments through Synchrony will be < $100/mo. There are two other financing partners: Genesis (which is super rare and seems to be like a credit line that isn't exactly a credit card? it's weird), and Progressive Leasing.

You can make in-store down payments in conjunction with Synchrony, you cannot with Progressive. I do less than one Genesis transaction per calendar year, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with its specifics, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stopped at the local Mattress Firm after work. The lady showed us a bunch of stuff, including all of the Purples. I basically concluded that I liked every bed I tried out except for the all-foam ones, including the original Purple. Those were too squishy, but no bounce/rebound in them.

Honestly I could have been happy with any of the hybrids she showed us. They’re all different, but not in a bad way, just different feels. I didn’t have one that I super preferred over the others.

I was surprised that out of all the new Purples, I definitely liked the 2 the best. The 3 was wayyyy too squishy and I didn’t even try the 4. The Purples definitely felt way different than any bed I’ve ever been on. There’s a lot of side-to-side give when you’re moving around on the mattress, but just enough sink to not have any pressure points when I am laying on my side. Wife and I didn’t notice any motion transfer when one of us were moving around or getting in/out if the bed.

The 2 was $1899 + $99 delivery. And for the 4th of July sale, a free adjustable stand, 2 foam pillows and a mattress protector. Any refunds or exchanges incur a 10% restocking fee.

All of the beds she showed us had the fancy adjustable stand with head/foot controls and massaging options on a wireless remote. When I asked what the free one was, she brought us over to one bed in the far corner that had a wired remote that could only adjust the head up/down, haha.

So yeah, the free stand was kind of a laughable “freebie.” I don’t really need new pillows, so the mattress protector would be the only extra I was interested in.

My wife definitely preferred the 2 over any of the other options and it was firm enough to lay my twin infants on.

If I order on the Purple website, it’s $1709 + $189 for the mattress stand + $109 for the mattress protector = $1977 delivered. Cheaper than in the store, plus there’s no restocking fees if I exchange or return it.

Best part of all, is when I got home, I had an email waiting from Purple with a “hey you left your cart full, here’s $50 off” coupon code. Hell yeah.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Stopped at the local Mattress Firm after work. The lady showed us a bunch of stuff, including all of the Purples. I basically concluded that I liked every bed I tried out except for the all-foam ones, including the original Purple. Those were too squishy, but no bounce/rebound in them.

Honestly I could have been happy with any of the hybrids she showed us. They’re all different, but not in a bad way, just different feels. I didn’t have one that I super preferred over the others.

I was surprised that out of all the new Purples, I definitely liked the 2 the best. The 3 was wayyyy too squishy and I didn’t even try the 4. The Purples definitely felt way different than any bed I’ve ever been on. There’s a lot of side-to-side give when you’re moving around on the mattress, but just enough sink to not have any pressure points when I am laying on my side. Wife and I didn’t notice any motion transfer when one of us were moving around or getting in/out if the bed.

The 2 was $1899 + $99 delivery. And for the 4th of July sale, a free adjustable stand, 2 foam pillows and a mattress protector. Any refunds or exchanges incur a 10% restocking fee.

All of the beds she showed us had the fancy adjustable stand with head/foot controls and massaging options on a wireless remote. When I asked what the free one was, she brought us over to one bed in the far corner that had a wired remote that could only adjust the head up/down, haha.

So yeah, the free stand was kind of a laughable “freebie.” I don’t really need new pillows, so the mattress protector would be the only extra I was interested in.

My wife definitely preferred the 2 over any of the other options and it was firm enough to lay my twin infants on.

If I order on the Purple website, it’s $1709 + $189 for the mattress stand + $109 for the mattress protector = $1977 delivered. Cheaper than in the store, plus there’s no restocking fees if I exchange or return it.

Best part of all, is when I got home, I had an email waiting from Purple with a “hey you left your cart full, here’s $50 off” coupon code. Hell yeah.

Products should be priced identically between the store and the Purple website; part of the terms of carrying their product is that we do exactly what Purple's sales are (this includes the return/exchange fees not applying to Purple products). I suspect your salesperson was ignorant of that, given that it's a product that plays entirely by its own rules relative to virtually everything else in the store. Delivery is free unless you want it set up and/or things hauled away from your property.

I'd suggest calling the store tomorrow and asking them about what I said, and mention that you got a $50 coupon from Purple. Matt Firm should match the price you were getting online, and the protector should still be free. If they bumble their way through some silly explanation, PM me and I'll clear things up.

Alternatively, if you purchased already, congrats on the purchase!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I generally prefer a firm mattress, do they usually have the firm later-generation Purples in the store, or is it usually just the softer ones?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Thanatosian posted:

I generally prefer a firm mattress, do they usually have the firm later-generation Purples in the store, or is it usually just the softer ones?

The Classic & Purple.2 are the firmest, as they have the least amount of their polymer; the number in the name is the thickness of the Purple polymer in inches. More polymer is softer.

Any retailer who sells Purple and has it floored will have the Classic and/or Purple.2. The 3 & 4 will be more difficult to find. And I think Macy's is a good nationwide bet to try Purple products, just keep in mind they have an extremely long delivery turnaround, and I don't think they participate in all of Purple's sales. Note that Matt Firm floors Purple only in select markets, so make sure you call before you swing by!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Synastren posted:

Products should be priced identically between the store and the Purple website; part of the terms of carrying their product is that we do exactly what Purple's sales are (this includes the return/exchange fees not applying to Purple products). I suspect your salesperson was ignorant of that, given that it's a product that plays entirely by its own rules relative to virtually everything else in the store. Delivery is free unless you want it set up and/or things hauled away from your property.

I'd suggest calling the store tomorrow and asking them about what I said, and mention that you got a $50 coupon from Purple. Matt Firm should match the price you were getting online, and the protector should still be free. If they bumble their way through some silly explanation, PM me and I'll clear things up.

Alternatively, if you purchased already, congrats on the purchase!

The price difference on the mattress was the 10% off they have on their website currently. Are you saying that in store should be able to match that?

We definitely need our old mattress hauled away, which Purple would do for free. Would that be worth mentioning?

Also, I didn’t super like the 10% restocking fee in case we wanted to exchange or return it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The price difference on the mattress was the 10% off they have on their website currently. Are you saying that in store should be able to match that?

We definitely need our old mattress hauled away, which Purple would do for free. Would that be worth mentioning?

Also, I didn’t super like the 10% restocking fee in case we wanted to exchange or return it.

Any manufacturer's sale on Purple should be in effect in the store too. Matt Firm just has a lot of vendor promotions to try to keep track of which can overlap in weird ways, so the person you spoke with my just have been ill informed. Hell, all you should have to say is exactly what you told me, that it's shown on their website. For the delivery, I didn't think that Purple did full installation delivery for free, but if they're doing it so will any retailer who is under the same promotion. And Purple (and tulo) are exempt from the restocking fees that the rest of our merchandise is subject to. It's not spoken of much in general, so that last point is possibly something that your average sales person at Firm won't know offhand, but they can always check with their area manager if you remind them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh, that’s all great info to know. So at the end of the day, I should be able to get whatever sales, promos, delivery, etc that are on the website in the store?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used one of the Zinus 18" high bed frames? I live in a tiny-rear end apartment, and the extra storage space is really tempting, but the price being so cheap makes me paranoid.

https://www.zinus.com/collections/bed-frames-and-foundations/products/casey-steel-premium-18-smartbase-frame

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm using a 16" zinus frame right now and it feels rock solid. No wobble or anything.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Huh, that’s all great info to know. So at the end of the day, I should be able to get whatever sales, promos, delivery, etc that are on the website in the store?

Yep!

Thanatosian posted:

Has anyone used one of the Zinus 18" high bed frames? I live in a tiny-rear end apartment, and the extra storage space is really tempting, but the price being so cheap makes me paranoid.

https://www.zinus.com/collections/bed-frames-and-foundations/products/casey-steel-premium-18-smartbase-frame

There are a lot of companies that all have that design of platform frame; it's a good design.

I'd recommend spending :10bux: to get some non-skid rubber or something, else your mattress will slide a bit.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

Yes, they're fine. My wife and I had one for 6 months with a foam mattress and no wobble or stability issues. But we're a combined 250 lbs, so ymmv if you're a gigantor

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Synastren posted:

Yep!

There are a lot of companies that all have that design of platform frame; it's a good design.

I'd recommend spending :10bux: to get some non-skid rubber or something, else your mattress will slide a bit.

At least with my 16" model it came with a rubber net material that goes in between the matress and the stand, and it's been enough friction to keep it in place. I'd hope the other models come with the same.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking over Wirecutter reviews, I'm leaning towards a Tempur-Pedic Adapt Medium-Hybrid with the aforementioned 18" Zinus frame; do I need to get a foundation with that? And if so, which one should I get? Tempur is offering $300 in free accessories with the purchase, so it wouldn't cost me anything. I'm guessing not the 9" (I feel like I'd need a ladder to get into my bed at that point).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Thanatosian posted:

Looking over Wirecutter reviews, I'm leaning towards a Tempur-Pedic Adapt Medium-Hybrid with the aforementioned 18" Zinus frame; do I need to get a foundation with that? And if so, which one should I get? Tempur is offering $300 in free accessories with the purchase, so it wouldn't cost me anything. I'm guessing not the 9" (I feel like I'd need a ladder to get into my bed at that point).

You do not need foundations with platform beds or frames, as a general rule.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've heard a number of good things about the Purple mattresses from IRL folks, so I'm gonna try to get in touch with 1 of the 3(!) local Mattress Firm stores and see if they have any floor models I can molest flop on.

Flopping is allowed, right?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Annath posted:

I've heard a number of good things about the Purple mattresses from IRL folks, so I'm gonna try to get in touch with 1 of the 3(!) local Mattress Firm stores and see if they have any floor models I can molest flop on.

Flopping is encouraged, but you might regret it on anything with a foam core.

Generally speaking, if one store has it, all stores in your area should have it. If they do not, Macy's has the classic and 2, generally.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

The purple website will tell you which model each store has in stock when you click on that location. Just hit the try in store button on the page

Like so

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oops, forgot I need new sheets after I ordered my Purple2. Any recommendations?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Purple Sheets.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did some mattress testing, and surprisingly (to me, anyway) landed on the Purple 2 as having the best feel. There's no reason to order it from online instead of Mattress Firm, right? Salesman was really nice and helpful.

That, and an 18" Zinus frame, and I'mma be a very happy sleeper, hopefully.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sheets/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Went the path of least resistance and snagged a couple sets of Purple sheets, then said gently caress it and got one of their pillows as well.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Thanatosian posted:

There's no reason to order it from online instead of Mattress Firm, right? Salesman was really nice and helpful.

That is correct.

Sorry for the delayed response. :rip:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Synastren posted:

Broadly speaking there are two methods to cool sleepers: passive cooling (heat conduction and ventilation) and active cooling (materials designed to feel or be cool, e.g., phase change material). If only one of you is sleeping hot, my recommendation would be passive cooling products, and maybe combine it with an active cooling pillow.

Protectors, etc:
For passive cooling products, hit up the Frio protector by PureCare, or look into a mattress protector that uses tencel--they will prominently place it if it has tencel. You may also want to consider getting sheets that are completely natural fibers: long staple cotton (Pima, Egyptian) or bamboo are both strong choices to help prevent overheating. Tencel, again, is very good, too. Note that you should ignore threadcount after about 400, and the material is more important.

Active cooling products are going to utilize Outlast fabric and phase change material (PCM) to pull heat away from sleepers. Protect-a-bed makes an excellent Snow protector that is PCM infused that I recommend highly; Bedgear makes a Ver-tex protector that is similar, but a bit cheaper. Neither will be inexpensive, though. Any cooling topper will utilize PCM on foam. We used to sell a topper from Columbia that was pretty fantastic and underrated. Note that Outlast will not feel as cool, but will likely be cooler over the entire; PCM will feel much cooler, but it will feel less extreme after about 20 minutes.

Pillows:
Passive cooling pillows are generally going to be down alternatives that include Frio fiber or some other proprietary filler that is efficient at heat conduction. Active cooling pillows will utilize PCM or Outlast.

Is this still current information about cooling pillows? I find I may want one and only just started looking into it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

18 Character Limit posted:

Is this still current information about cooling pillows? I find I may want one and only just started looking into it.

That's still true for the vast majority of accessories, yeah. There are a few other things that are more recent, but they're super niche.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

18 Character Limit posted:

Totally anecdotal, but I got a buckwheat pillow, and I found it to be long-term cooler than the active cooling pillows I got from Costco and Amazon. The active cooling ones would be cooler at first, but the buckwheat pillow doesn't warm up much from room temperature.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Thanatosian posted:

Totally anecdotal, but I got a buckwheat pillow, and I found it to be long-term cooler than the active cooling pillows I got from Costco and Amazon. The active cooling ones would be cooler at first, but the buckwheat pillow doesn't warm up much from room temperature.

Yeah, active cooling technologies lose their cooling factor after about a half hour or so until the heat source is removed and it can refreeze.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
Been sleeping on a Mint from Tuft and Needle for the past 6 months or so. I love it one of things that appealed to me was the graphite microfibers that help with heat displacement which good since I'm in the desert. Also as some have mentioned a lack of edge support I find this particular mattress has great edge support and you'd never know it was a foam mattress when sitting on it or when performing extra curriculars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0g76czPQFM

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

xdirtypinkox posted:

Been sleeping on a Mint from Tuft and Needle for the past 6 months or so. I love it one of things that appealed to me was the graphite microfibers that help with heat displacement which good since I'm in the desert. Also as some have mentioned a lack of edge support I find this particular mattress has great edge support and you'd never know it was a foam mattress when sitting on it or when performing extra curriculars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0g76czPQFM

Glad you're having a good experience with whatever you purchased!

I just wanted to make a quick comment that "graphite microfibers" is likely very distinct from microfiber fabric. While I can't attest to the cooling efficacy of what T&N puts in their product, I can unequivocally tell you that microfiber textiles are awful at heat dissipation. Synthetic textiles in general are hot, with a few exceptions.

Don't get microfiber sheets because you think they'll be cool--I've encountered this problem a lot lately, so just a little PSA~~

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Purple2 comes tomorrow and my lower back is excited.

I got the Purple pillow ahead of time last week, and this is one weird-rear end pillow. It's only 2-3" high, which I'm not used to, and it feels like I'm laying on a bag of cooked pasta. It's super weird and I'm still trying to decide if I like it. It's pretty comfy, but just has an odd feel to it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my Purple2 today. The stand is a lot shorter than I thought it would be. It’s pretty hilarious how jetpacked the mattress bag is. It couldn’t have been more than an inch or 2 thick, and when they cut it open, it expanded instantly.

The 5 mins I laid on it felt great. Glad to finally have a king. Now I can lay in bed with my wife and twins without being shoved into a corner. Which will totally still happen.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need advice.

We tried Brooklyn Aurora and it felt great, just the right firmness for us, but the edge retention sucked-I always felt like I was slipping off the bed.

So we returned it for a Leesa, and that's going straight back-WAY too firm.

I'm a stomach sleeper, my wife is a side sleeper, and we need a King size.

We went into the Mattress Firm and tried the purple-it's not for us-we don't like the feel.

So the guy had us try a bunch and narrowed it down to two:

Beautyrest Black Hybrid Gladney 14" Luxury Firm Mattress for $3600

Intellibed Luxury Twilight for $4700 on sale I think-maybe a little less.

Anyways, he was pushing the Intellibed pretty hard, saying the sale only goes until 1 pm tomorrow and he can't do anything about the price. However, for the Beautyrest, he said he could always do it for that price. We liked the beautyrest more, because it wasn't as springy as the Intellibed.

What are your thoughts? The king mattresses we've been trying for the bed in a box variants have only been around $1500-2k, so spending $3600 seems like way more than we're really prepared to spend. I would say the max we would want to consider would be $2500-3k.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 14, 2019

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

nwin posted:

I need advice.

We tried Brooklyn Aurora and it felt great, just the right firmness for us, but the edge retention sucked-I always felt like I was slipping off the bed.

So we returned it for a Leesa, and that's going straight back-WAY too firm.

I'm a stomach sleeper, my wife is a side sleeper, and we need a King size.

We went into the Mattress Firm and tried the purple-it's not for us-we don't like the feel.

So the guy had us try a bunch and narrowed it down to two:

Beautyrest Black Hybrid Gladney 14" Luxury Firm Mattress for $3600

Intellibed Luxury Twilight for $4700 on sale I think-maybe a little less.

Anyways, he was pushing the Intellibed pretty hard, saying the sale only goes until 1 pm tomorrow and he can't do anything about the price. However, for the Beautyrest, he said he could always do it for that price. We liked the beautyrest more, because it wasn't as springy as the Intellibed.

What are your thoughts? The king mattresses we've been trying for the bed in a box variants have only been around $1500-2k, so spending $3600 seems like way more than we're really prepared to spend. I would say the max we would want to consider would be $2500-3k.

Intellibeds are the best beds that we carry. Gladney is a part of the Black line from BeautyRest, which is generally their premier collection. They're both fantastic, but nothing will feel like luxury tier beds, unfortunately.

For the price range you are hovering around, I'd suggest checking out the Sleepy's Reserve Plush, the iSeries 500 Cushion Firm, and maybe the Dawson--another Beautyrest hybrid, but at a much lower price point. They should be similar in approximate firmness.

The sale ending today at 1 PM is a bit of, uh, retail theater. Our national sales change over at close of business on Tuesdays, whenever they may change. The current promotion (extended 4th of July sale) ends on the 16th.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanatosian posted:

This is new info. Can anyone provide some more info, links to good buckwheat pillows, more anecdotes? I've been waking up literally 4 or 5 times a night, every night for the last month and a half having to toss and turn because my arms are under my pillows and are sweating and burning up. I was looking into active cooling pillows, but gave up on that avenue after anything decent was over $100. If buckwheat pillows can keep me from baking my arms every night and can be found decently cheap, then the hunt is back on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

This is new info. Can anyone provide some more info, links to good buckwheat pillows, more anecdotes? I've been waking up literally 4 or 5 times a night, every night for the last month and a half having to toss and turn because my arms are under my pillows and are sweating and burning up. I was looking into active cooling pillows, but gave up on that avenue after anything decent was over $100. If buckwheat pillows can keep me from baking my arms every night and can be found decently cheap, then the hunt is back on.
If you manage to get your arms under a buckwheat pillow and then sleep on it, you may have to have them amputated due to the lack of circulation. They weigh, like, ten pounds, and are firm as hell (like a beanbag chair, but with less give). I got mine from Beans72 (their website looks like something you made on Geocities when you were 11 years old, but you can get them from Amazon, too). They are expensive, though not quite $100.

I don't know that they're for everybody, but it was exactly what I was looking for. I hate hotels, now, because I put four pillows down and they all fold up on either side of my head.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Update: after 9 months I think I don’t like the regular purple mattress as a side sleeper.

It’s a really good mattress for boning on though, maybe the best I’ve ever experienced.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have a 7 y/o S&F luxo-euro-firm-blah-blah whatever that looks prettier than it actually functions anymore, so I'll be in the market soon. My budget would be under $2500 for just a Cal King mattress.

What is the thread's opinion of the 14.5" tall Wink Beds or 8.5" Airweaves? If they are actually "firmer" than anything else, than that's what I would want as I prefer a Klingon-style firm bed.

Also, what total height are most of your set ups? I seem to prefer right around 28.5" inches height total and that has been great for me and now lower sitting beds look and feel weird. Plus I like to just pop right out of the thing and walk away. Finding a long lasting frame/foundation/mattress combo that hits that height has been a challenge as most combinations seem to be much lower using those standard 7" tall frames and 5"-8" foundations

The 14" and 16" Zinus platforms seem to be very popular, but I don't know if I can trust Amzn reviews anymore and the frames seem to be really high and might be wobbly and stuff.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Keyser_Soze posted:

I have a 7 y/o S&F luxo-euro-firm-blah-blah whatever that looks prettier than it actually functions anymore, so I'll be in the market soon. My budget would be under $2500 for just a Cal King mattress.

What is the thread's opinion of the 14.5" tall Wink Beds or 8.5" Airweaves? If they are actually "firmer" than anything else, than that's what I would want as I prefer a Klingon-style firm bed.

Also, what total height are most of your set ups? I seem to prefer right around 28.5" inches height total and that has been great for me and now lower sitting beds look and feel weird. Plus I like to just pop right out of the thing and walk away. Finding a long lasting frame/foundation/mattress combo that hits that height has been a challenge as most combinations seem to be much lower using those standard 7" tall frames and 5"-8" foundations

The 14" and 16" Zinus platforms seem to be very popular, but I don't know if I can trust Amzn reviews anymore and the frames seem to be really high and might be wobbly and stuff.

There seems to be nothing special about the Winkbed except it's a generic firm hybrid priced around where entry-ish level Serta and BeautyRest hybrids are.

I know nothing about Airweave. The PLoS-One drop is p. slick, but it's too far outside of my experience to judge.

Standard height foundations from all major vendors (Serta-Simmons, Tempur-Sealy-Stearns, SpringAir, etc) are all 9 inches tall, which seems to be something you'd be OK with, but that would also mean updating boxes to be relevant. And the average height for a mattress now is between 12 and 16 inches.

Platform frames are popular, but are not generally designed to be used with foundations--that would usually result in being incredibly tall, and I'd be concerned about things sliding around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Thanks for the feedback.

I see that Simmons does have an $2k hybrid bed as well so I should check it out as well since it's locally available. I was basically trying to rule out anything that wasted money on name, fancy trim, stitching and fleur-d-lis etc that you never see 99.5% of the time like my S&F bed and the Winkbeds seem really simple and heavy.

I might go for the 14" frame, no foundation and just a mattress as long as the mattress is at least 14.5" to get me back to the 28.5" off the ground. Extra storage space under it sounds usefull as well.