Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Seconding the US presidents thread. I stay out of D&D for my sanity but it was linked in another thread and it deserves more attention

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849787

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I adore the YOSPOS Post the most worthless thing you can find on Wikipedia thread.

I would never have found one of my favorite pictures without it.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The Stupid Music poo poo thread is always a good read and pretty active. Things that any musician would find interesting abound in that thread, including The Strat Pile and how Hetfield's right hand is Metallica's competent ghost drummer.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837525

Also, thanks for making me aware of the grover house thread and all the lore associated with that. What a hilarious dive that was. And while this house is not The Grover House, it really had me laughing hard as well:

edit: added link to thread.

former glory fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 6, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Keith Atherton posted:

Seconding the US presidents thread. I stay out of D&D for my sanity but it was linked in another thread and it deserves more attention

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849787

I second this. I think it was linked in the Trump LOL thread last year, and it's got a lot of great essays about various presidents. Some are very long. I still need to get caught up.

Speaking of threads in other forums that I started following after they were linked in GBS, behold: STREETBEEFS!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883865

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

STREETBEEFS is hilarious

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I've been reading the thread at work and haven't watched any videos yet, but the descriptions are gold

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

former glory posted:

The Stupid Music poo poo thread is always a good read and pretty active. Things that any musician would find interesting abound in that thread, including The Strat Pile and how Hetfield's right hand is Metallica's competent ghost drummer.

Also, thanks for making me aware of the grover house thread and all the lore associated with that. What a hilarious dive that was. And while this house is not The Grover House, it really had me laughing hard as well:

Link to the thread, maybe?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

nashona posted:

I adore the YOSPOS Post the most worthless thing you can find on Wikipedia thread.

I would never have found one of my favorite pictures without it.

the first post in that thread links to waffleimages, RIP

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

AstroWhale posted:

Link to the thread, maybe?

Ah jeez, thanks for letting me know. I've edited the post just now.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Skateboarding in Ethiopia during a coup attempt

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

loving amazing

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens

Flagship game of the CYOA forum, a modern-day epic set in not-Bronze Age not-Mesopotamia with magic, not-Judaism, demons, accidentally marrying our dog, 10 foot tall muscle-wizards, an incredibly engrossing universe, and endless dick jokes. It's a monster of a thread, over 6000 pages, but don't get scared off by that 85% of it is boring skippable stuff like votes. There's a recap/summary linked at the top of the OP which is a heavily condensed version of the first half of the game and a relatively short time investment to read, it's recommended new readers start there and see if it hooks you.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 8, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

loving amazing

He's not kidding

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Wait gently caress how did I forget about this?
The Five Acres is a thread by DesperateDan that's about the five acres of land in the UK he's converting into a garden as well as his own home garden. Dan's writing style is very sweet and wholesome and the whole thread is honestly just really adorable and I love it dearly.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

e: nevermind. not what i thought... im thinking of a much older thread

For content: I like to visit this thread once in a while when I want to cringe https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854968

canadianclassic fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 10, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

canadianclassic posted:

Isn't there also some saga/forums drama about why that guy is permabanned?

Let it lie.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spaced God posted:

Wait gently caress how did I forget about this?
The Five Acres is a thread by DesperateDan that's about the five acres of land in the UK he's converting into a garden as well as his own home garden. Dan's writing style is very sweet and wholesome and the whole thread is honestly just really adorable and I love it dearly.

Bookmarked!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens

Flagship game of the CYOA forum, a modern-day epic set in not-Bronze Age not-Mesopotamia with magic, not-Judaism, demons, accidentally marrying our dog, 10 foot tall muscle-wizards, an incredibly engrossing universe, and endless dick jokes. It's a monster of a thread, over 6000 pages, but don't get scared off by that 85% of it is boring skippable stuff like votes. There's a recap/summary linked at the top of the OP which is a heavily condensed version of the first half of the game and a relatively short time investment to read, it's recommended new readers start there and see if it hooks you.

Yes, we need more voters who aren't attached to the main character and won't vote to take the safe, boring option almost every time. The regular players seem dead set against hunting down monsters or letting a witch set up shop in our town.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ask me about Neuroscienece

Some of it's a bit over my head but there's been some interesting answers so far.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Do we want to keep this strictly current or can we bring in golden oldies too? If you have archives, this one is top notch: Ask me about Blindness. It’s about a blind goon and how he navigates the Internet and the world. There’s a linked mp3 on page 9 where he demos the text to speech synthesizer he uses at both speeds we sighted people can understand and then at the speed at which he normally listens, which I still have a hard time believing is really real. If you’re still lurking Caffeinated Sloth I’d love to see a new thread where you talk about how accessibility tech has changed and hopefully improved in the last 12 years!

While we’re on the subject of kickass old threads, does anyone remember that old GBS thread by the guy who claimed to be an alien visiting in a perfect disguise? It was very well done and amazingly the thread wasn’t shitted to death by passers-by.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 11, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lordshmee posted:

Do we want to keep this strictly current or can we bring in golden oldies too? If you have archives, this one is top notch: Ask me about Blindness. It’s about a blind goon and how he navigates the Internet and the world.

While we’re on the subject of kickass old threads, does anyone remember that old GBS thread by the guy who claimed to be an alien visiting in a perfect disguise? It was very well done and amazingly the thread wasn’t shitted to death by passers-by.

That blind dude thread is awesome. All threads are welcome. We have new members registering everyday!

E not to take away from post your fav (pyf), but we will let this run a bit more. Pointing to other subs is cool.

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 11, 2019

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893630

A thread to talk about how Greg gets his own room and I'm pissed. It's the best thread ever. The Jan Brady thread.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
also, :lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Let's plays from the Dominions community on SA. Dominions is a series of video games where you're a pretender god commanding a bunch of sprite underlings and trying to ascend to high divinity. In the course of the game you hurt a lot of sprite people in interesting ways and if the game drags on turn the whole world into a demon-ridden hellscape. The metagame is very nerdy and interesting and they have a good sense of humor.

Mo Money Mo problems
The OP is playing as the Caananite mythology-inspired nation of giants Gath in a game where every player gets a lot more of every resource in Dominions 4. I just feel sorry for the pixel men who have to live in this world. Minor spoilers: there are a lot of demons involved. Another player is also posting his own video LPs but they're for the most part not in sync with the OP's posts.

POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULS
The OP is playing as the merman nation of Pelagia in a giant ocean all to himself and becomes a terrifying superpower to the rest of the players, all on land.

New Bad
New players, several of them taking part in the LP so you get to see the game from different sides. The OP is playing Indian monkeys led by demons. The second round started not too long ago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one of my all time favorite threads on SA is the Critterquest thread(with links to previous iterations in the OP), where goons take pictures of the various wildlife they see in their day-to-day or at work or on trips. Some goons are professionals, national geographic photographer-level.

Like, check this poo poo out, Moon Potato is a bird photography god. These are just from the first page of the above thread.

PYF Bootlegs and Knockoffs
A PYF thread that people repost bootlegs and knockoffs from that bootleg twitter account, bootlegs and knockoffs they've found themselves, or Obvious Plant(parodies of absurd knockoffs) as if they are real bootlegs. usually good for a hearty chuckle

my favorite bootleg I ever bought is this fella(though it's an original mold so not TECHNICALLY a bootleg) :

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
One older thread I love is the delightful Shadow Over Vegas: White Trash Mom Sacrificed for Nugs saga (Requires Archives). It starts off with a fatal case of road rage involving a suburban mom in a sombrero and an undersized drug dealer, and the resulting chaos results in a baby-armed Renfair Lawyer defending Lil' Nugs and a tell-all novel on how Nascar Dad romanced Sombrero Mom.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Mega64 posted:

One older thread I love is the delightful Shadow Over Vegas: White Trash Mom Sacrificed for Nugs saga (Requires Archives). It starts off with a fatal case of road rage involving a suburban mom in a sombrero and an undersized drug dealer, and the resulting chaos results in a baby-armed Renfair Lawyer defending Lil' Nugs and a tell-all novel on how Nascar Dad romanced Sombrero Mom.

Oh poo poo, I concur! The T-Nugs thread is loving hilarious!!

As for content, has this been posted yet?

IMPORTANT PHOTOGRAPH:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824581

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813353

Longform Article thread

It links to well-vetted and particularly interesting long articles. These are often hard to find except by word-of-mouth. It's like reading a nonfiction book, but shorter, but with enough detail so that the story is still clear.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

That blind dude thread is awesome. All threads are welcome. We have new members registering everyday!

E not to take away from post your fav (pyf), but we will let this run a bit more. Pointing to other subs is cool.

For many years a blind russian gun store owner was a TFR regular thanks to the magic of screenreaders.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That would be Mishaco, and he has his own YouTube channel where he reviews guns.

Yes, he still goes out shooting.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Android Apocalypse posted:

That would be Mishaco, and he has his own YouTube channel where he reviews guns.

Yes, he still goes out shooting.

:thunk: How?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

He's also a jerk

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Oh poo poo, I concur! The T-Nugs thread is loving hilarious!!

As for content, has this been posted yet?

IMPORTANT PHOTOGRAPH:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824581

Jaysus Christ I thought nothing could rival the T Nugs saga, but here it is.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

How about a couple of Let's Plays..

1) Grey Hunter's War In The Pacific: Imperial Edition

Each post is one day of fighting WWII as the Japanese. 424 pages later(!) we're in 1945 and it's real good.

2) Pirate Radar's RTW2 France campaign

Good mix of story elements and gameplay. We just got to watch the French whip the Austrians...who will be next?

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
there was a thread about walmart reviews and now i cant find it. can anyone help

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gokuweed420 posted:

there was a thread about walmart reviews and now i cant find it. can anyone help

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894009

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

thank u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Pershing posted:

How about a couple of Let's Plays..

1) Grey Hunter's War In The Pacific: Imperial Edition

Each post is one day of fighting WWII as the Japanese. 424 pages later(!) we're in 1945 and it's real good.

2) Pirate Radar's RTW2 France campaign

Good mix of story elements and gameplay. We just got to watch the French whip the Austrians...who will be next?

Grey Hunter makes awesome CYOA, as does Brawnfire.

GH's awesome Sarga saga:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854152&pagenumber=1#post483073899

Brawnfire's amazing Beaten Lands chronicles, starting with the beginnings of 'Maurice's story but spreading into divergent stories/realities:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876229&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post491131994

e: Both are still on going!