Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Grey Hunter posted:

So, what is the plan now?

Vote:

B - head to the mountains, free the angel.

D - use the event to gain power for Sarga.

Welcome Back, Grey Hunter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Volmarias posted:

Just because you are bad guy, does not mean you are bad guy

we just weaponized the heads of an entire cult, causing mass destruction around the entire world

BD

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

IcePhoenix posted:

we just weaponized the heads of an entire cult, causing mass destruction around the entire world

BD

makes us a hero in my book :v:

BD

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

IcePhoenix posted:

Point of order: They weaponized their own heads, and deliberately carried those explosives with them everywhere they went, imperilling innocent people in the name of the perfidious 'greater good'. We carried out a controlled explosion, ridding the world of their heinous, reckless threat, the true depravity of which is clear as the casualty reports come in. Command words don't kill people, eldritch mind explosives kill people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AJ_Impy posted:

controlled explosion

I mean, technically, but not actually.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Volmarias posted:

B

Just because you are bad guy, does not mean you are bad guy

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Remains of the day.

Things went quiet, but Sarga was not still.
She immediately began to get her cult to start spreading her version of what had happened, the Protectors were manipulating the crusade and had attempted to pervert it into a world dominating empire, and they had been preparing to move against Asherah with their imprisoned and compelled angel.
Then Scargill had stepped in, she was willing to do what must be done to remove the cult, she had used her powers to fight the Protectors, and had been trying to free the angel - then, as it seemed she was about the win, the Protectors decided to destroy themselves out of spite, wreaking the world.

Not everyone brought the story - many didn’t think that Scargill was real, others thought she was a monster in disguise - but in the lands that were under the sway of the Asheran religion, the story took root in many places - the need to do terrible things to save the world was accepted by many, and even some who had lost friends and family in the explosions were placated to know their lost ones had not died in vain.
This did put Sarga into the public eye though - in some places the cultists went public without her say so, and in many other places cults formed without her or her cultists guidance - these disparate little cults had different tenets and beliefs, and she set her cultists to bringing as many of these into the fold as she could, but they were small and numerous.
Of course, the Soul Plague continued to spread, and with it, the Asheran religion followed, in many places not yet touched by the plague, missionaries made headway - some more totalitarian religions fought back, but the growing swell of an actual god took hold.

The Mountains.

Sargas eyes finally turned to the mountains - she was now able to scry the area that had once been shielded from her, but there was little to see, the area had been reduced to rubble by numerous explosions - which made sense of course, as you would expect the secret mountain fortress of a world spanning cult to have a lot of cultists in it.
In the end, there was nothing for it but to go there herself. She made the journey Bad Tidings in hand.
The area was quiet as only a lonely mountain could be, but Sarga settled herself, and listened.
Then she heard the crying.
It came from deep under the rock, and it was not with her ears that she heard it, but with her soul. She walked through rock and deep into the bowels of the earth, until she came across the cell.
A cell was the only way to describe it, it was a small chamber of glass inscribed with strange ruins that hurt Sargas eyes to look at, and this was built into a chamber of stone with more runes on it. It was strongly built, and only a few cracks in the walls showed what had happened outside of the place.’
In the cell was a bed, and nothing else. Upon the bed sat the angel.

She looked up as Sarga approached. Her despair turned to anger and the whole cell filled with fire, but was unable to get out. After a time, the fire dissipated and the angle stalked up and down the cell.
”They told me to kill you. That was their order.” she said through gritted teeth.
”But now they are gone, all of them.” Sarga replied, moving slowly around the glass cell.
”But their command is still there, screaming at me from the back of my skull!”
”Is there any way to remove it?”
”No, Yes, Kill me, I don’t know.”
”You don’t know?”
”They used old magic, and I am not a student of that magic, I do what I can do, and know what I need to know - they did something and I don’t know how to stop it. Kill med, so it will be over.”

Do we
A - Kill the Angel
B - Free the Angel and let her “kill” us.
C - Keep the Angel here while we work on breaking the spell
D - Something else/

quote:

Mana =60/400 (1/day)
Gold = 380,000 in the vault at Castle Scrawgill (plus the dragon's horde, not counted and not ours per say.)
Ironworks - produces iron worth 250 a month.
Income per Month - 250
Support costs per Month - 1800
Net Per month - - 1550

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Threen beast eggs.
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.
1166 Lesser minions,
107 trained troops, 123 other militia.
19 Vampire Octasquids.
A selection of Bodkin Eels.

Large Lab.
Medium Library.

””

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C Break the usdamned mind control spell. As quickly and thoroughly as we can. No-one else needs to die for these bastards.

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
Use the godly powers we have gained to undo worldly magic.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

in many other places cults formed without her or her cultists guidance - these disparate little cults had different tenets and beliefs, and she set her cultists to bringing as many of these into the fold as she could, but they were small and numerous.

looking forward to having to hunt down all the alt-scrawgills that’ll be popping up

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
C. An angel owing us a solid? Hell yes.

Also I bet our cultist can take over small, young cults without a powervase. All the more so since they already nominally worship us.

But should they? Can we make our cult into an echumenic thing? I wonder that because if we enforce a very rigid orthodoxy, any heterodoxy will be an "other" Sarga, and our enemy. If your cult is "we disagree on which end of the egg would Sarga start eating, but otherwise you guys are allright, let's discuss it over ale", then all those little cults are still yours. Hell, pay them a visit, who expects a visit from their actual, literal god?

Let's make "don't be butthurt by someone disagreeing with you" a core tenet.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

D - try to remove the spell but if we can't, let's kill two birds with one stone

Okay so the Angel still has to kill A Sarga Scrawgill, who says it has to be us? What if we modified her command if we can't simply remove it and got her to hunt down any and all alt-scrawgills that appeared while we attempt to unify the religion better? In this case make double sure that we're not counted as a Sarga Scrawgill for the purposes of her command. Last resort option though.

I'd also suggest that before we try and break the spell we could put the Angel into our realm and slow the passage of time there so we have enough time to research relevant old magic and build up some mana + mana pools without the Angel suffering or having time for the command to take effect.

Our good dragon friend might know a thing or two about ancient magic or at least have some clues on where to look, so might the Deep Ones or our ancient tree buddy, we could also see if anything survived from the Protectors stuff (we should probably see if they had any captured monsters who might still be alive if anything survived the explosions).

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dawncloack posted:

C. An angel owing us a solid? Hell yes.

We are people that know people. Let's try to break this.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I want to say B, and let the geas be broken while we reconstitute, but I think we should C. We have allies with all kinds of forbidden knowledge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
C, but B if we have a clever way to be sure it won't backfire.

Alternately, martyr ourselves and ascend to godhood

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Vote: C - Keep the Angel here while we work on breaking the spell

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

C Break the usdamned mind control spell. As quickly and thoroughly as we can. No-one else needs to die for these bastards.

C. Are we not the breaker of chains?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

C. Are we not the breaker of chains?

We should also travel back in time, shape-shift into a draconic form and give birth to Raugh, so that we can be the Mother of Dragons too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

We should also travel back in time, shape-shift into a draconic form and give birth to Raugh, so that we can be the Mother of Dragons too.

Nah. That bitch went crazy and thought she was the hero.

We know we're the villain of this piece, but that doesn't mean we have to be a monster.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Nah. We're the monster, doesn't mean we have to be the villain.

E: We're a bad guy gal, but that doesn't mean we're the bad guy gal.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 5, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Breaker of Chains

”I’m going to have to leave you there, I think I can undo what they did, but it will take time.” The angel screamed a mixture of anguish and hatred as Sarga stepped away.
Returning to her lab, she got to work.

In the outside world, things continued to move on, the events of the speaking, as people were calling it, resonated throughout the world.
The Crusade broke up almost overnight - most of the leaders had been Protectors, or been enar protectors, and there had long been few monsters left to hunt - most people thought the work done, and were happy to return home.
The Soul Plague was still spreading, and Sarga was having trouble keeping up with all the attempts to cure it - thankfully, any signs of success seemed to be wiped out with the Protectors. The ranks of the Heroes had been decimated - at least as any large scale organisation - there were still local wizards working on the problem, but the lack of shared resources made the chance of them finding a cure small.
In the wake of the plague, came Asherah, and in the wake of Ashearh came the Scargill cult. It was now the world's major religions, and people were converting even without the threat.There were a few places holding out though, Poils was the major holdout, eradicating any missionaries arriving in its nation, even as the plague took a toll on the population.

Sarga threw herself into her work. She acquired old volumes from libraries - some bought, others stolen - security on places was not up to stopping gods, so she could literally walk wherever she pleased.
Two months passed, she visited the angel and took her food, though she seemed to not eat it. Sometimes she was greeted with hatred, sometimes with hope, but always the programming took over, and she would attempt to attack.
Finally, she was ready to try something. She had studied the runes, and she thought she could break the compulsion.

She arrived with her equipment, and began the chant. The angel once again disappeared in a ball of fire that worked her cage, but half way through the ritual, she stopped, and sat there. The long chants wove back and forth, and Sarga fought to keep her voice from cracking, but she finally got to the end of the incantation.
The Angle sat there, crying softly.
”Is it done?” She asked.
”I think so, how do you feel?” Sarga replied.
”Quite, still. The voices have gone.”
”Good, I’m going to let you out now.”
Sarga slowly, carefully began to scratch the runes, breaking them one by one, then, once they were all broken, she moved to the cell and moved Bad Tidings around in a circle, cutting the glass and letting a peace fall to the floor.
The angel continued to sit there. Head down.
”Thank you.” she said. ”and I’m sorry.” she lifted her head and fire lit up her eyes.

Woops! We failed - now what?

A - Fight the Angel
B - Run!
C - Try and talk her down.
D - Just die - you’ll get over it.

quote:

Mana =60/400 (1/day)
Gold = 300,000 in the vault at Castle Scrawgill (plus the dragon's horde, not counted and not ours per say.)
Income per Month - 250
Net Per month - - 1550

Minions -
Threen beast eggs.
1166 Lesser minions,
19 Vampire Octasquids.

Large Lab.
Medium Library.

””

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

B - let's go and regroup and fight the angel on our own terms if necessary at all. Let's also find out if we've succeeded and the Angel still wants us dead or if we did actually fail to remove the spell.

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
A. Have the angel follow us to our hell and use the souls we have amassed to over power and dominate the angel.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

C teleport Bad Tidings to Seaglass and get started on the reincarnation

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

srusnak102 posted:

A. Have the angel follow us to our hell and use the souls we have amassed to over power and dominate the angel.

The most likely plan

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Apologise to her in turn. Leave. Work out what failed. Get it right.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm willing to try D at this point.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

AJ_Impy posted:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

This but also teleport an Irukandji up her nose.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

clearly we should let her kill us and then reincarnate into her body so we have the power of an angel on top of our godliness

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

IcePhoenix posted:

clearly we should let her kill us and then reincarnate into her body so we have the power of an angel on top of our godliness

:yeshaha:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I dunno about reincarnating into her (do you want to take orders from the big boy gods??) But maybe killing us will make her conpulsion go away?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AJ_Impy posted:

Vote: +1

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Dawncloack posted:

I dunno about reincarnating into her (do you want to take orders from the big boy gods??) But maybe killing us will make her conpulsion go away?

Reincarnating into her sounds like a p terrible idea - it might well not work or worse. Also her compulsion might be to perma kill us so she may just come for the trident next and destroy it. Finally have people considered that being out of action for a while at the moment means the almost certain rise of rival gods?

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 10, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

D is a bad option, we don't know how the phyllactery is going to interact with other Scargills that come up from the various cult sects the way fakesherah rose.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dawncloack posted:

Gonna end up a suicidal angel-God.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Outrail posted:

Gonna end up a suicidal angel-God.

Never go full Evangelion.

AJ_Impy posted:

This +1

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I’m Sorry.

”I’m sorry as well.” Sarga said, and stepped out of the room, but the Angel moved quickly, and tendrils of fire slammed into Sarga.
To her surprise, she didn’t die. It hurt - it hurt like hell as the force of the fire slammed her into the wall behind her, leaving a Sarga shaped hole imprinted, but the actual damage felt more like first degree burns than the stripping of flesh she had expected.
The angel looked surprised as well.
”So you are a god. They told me that was lies.”
”Well, Sarga said, pulling herself up and spitting blood. ”Lets just say I’ve been on a bit of a quest to redefine reality. I’ve learned a few things that were forgotten.”
”Things that people believe in tend to become real.” The angel threw another fireball that slammed sarga deeper into the wall, but this time she was able to bring up a shield and blunt most of the impact.
”Yes. But that begs the question where the old gods went.” She pushed the shield out and brought Bad Tidings to her hands.
”They fell into the trap - when people believe you are nothing but a figurehead, you become a figurehead - they exist, but have no real powers. People started believing in the churches more than the gods, then they didn’t even believe in them.” more fire. Sarga felt the shield retract, but hold.
”Well then. I’ll say again. I’m sorry, and I’ll fix this.” This time she was able to escape into her realm.

Returning to the current hideout. She called a war council - explained that the angel was back to hunting them, but with less resources, and dove back into her books.
She soon found her mistake - while she was a goddess and had powers beyond those of mere mortals, but there were some things beyond her.
The Protectors had been clever - they had used a spell only a mortal could break - and doing it would be dangerous, as there was no way to know how the angel would react.
The actual ritual was easy to teach, but had to be done in close range.
But who could Sarga choose to do this?

Who would be willing to sacrifice to break the spell?
A - Seaglass
B - Irwin
C - Raaugh
D - A cultist
E - Trick someone into doing it.

quote:

Mana =60/400 (1/day)
Gold = 300,000 in the vault at Castle Scrawgill (plus the dragon's horde, not counted and not ours per say.)
Income per Month - 250
Net Per month - - 1550

Minions -
Threen beast eggs.
1166 Lesser minions,
19 Vampire Octasquids.

Large Lab.
Medium Library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Well Raaugh would be the obvious choice, assuming dragons count as mortals, but she's a friend and I have a different idea.

Call it F

We now know the cause of the god's 'demise' - it's up to us to avoid the same fate. That being the case, and the ritual being simple to teach, let's directly reach out to our worshippers.

ALL OF THEM.

Let's commune directly with them all and teach them the ritual, promising the mortal who completes this quest to free the angel for their Goddess great rewards - in the mortal plane if they survive and in the after life if they fall in the attempt.

While we're at this let's bypass the church effectively - teach our worshippers that keeping to their belief in us is more important than any church, that if the church ever fails to recognize that then it needs to change.

And finally let's set about some miracles to please our worshippers and remain very much in the public eye and mind.

Oh and also let's help out our secret, smallest worshippers too - they may very well be our best link to a form of worship that can't be subverted by churches at all since we made them simple creatures.