Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

I watch devilman crybaby on this threads recommendation, and I hated you all for a little while.

yeah it's pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Wasabi the J posted:

I watch devilman crybaby on this threads recommendation, and I hated you all for a little while.

Why would you watch it when the comic version was posted in this thread and is vastly superior?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey man they can both make me sad in different, yet profound ways.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Stayed up too late last night reading that uhh, road trip comic someone recommended in here

Ow

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ballz posted:

Like, 15 years after the original series someone thought it’d be a good idea to do two more seasons.

I was actually 100% on board with the idea because I love weird experimental bullshit but the final product just wasn’t that great. :sigh:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Stayed up too late last night reading that uhh, road trip comic someone recommended in here

Ow

drop-out?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ballz posted:

Like, 15 years after the original series someone thought it’d be a good idea to do two more seasons.

Even though the original creator said no repeatively and with great conviction to the idea of doing more, they just went ahead and did it anyway!

Ironically, and kind of sadly, there are some not terrible ideas in the new FLCL seasons. Like, the orginal FLCL is a male coming of age story and the new seasons try to depict two different and unique twists on female coming of age stories. However, none of those ideas are executed very well, and the main thing preventing them from doing their own thing and maybe finding a way to be good is how they spend so much of their run time either mimicking or referencing FLCL season one. If they had focused more on doing their own thing or even just not been connected to FLCL at all I really think the stories they wanted to tell could have been told in a more interesting and memorable way.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Yeah that's the one!! It was good and sad and mostly hurt (!! Haha) and left me entirely too physically and emotionally tired for a Wednesday but I've got a nice mid evening cry and or nap scheduled so it'll all work out I think :)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah I binged that one in an afternoon for the sake of catharsis during a bad depressive episode and I sent it to my brother saying "yo this pretty much encapsulates the poo poo I've gone through" because I just wanted someone close to me to know who wouldn't institutionalize me. He responded a few days later, I can pretty much describe his reaction as :stare:
Most :sadfan: comics tend to be overwrought and melodramatic but you can tell this one comes from a place of, I don't know, survived pain? Like the wound is healed and it's meditating on the scar and not shying away from both the meltdowns and the quiet moments of pain, while most others tend to focus on one or the other. It also doesn't shy away from real life snapping into focus (like when they took the wrong highway) or the little moments of alleviation and fun that can break depression for a small while (like breaking into the house).

In conclusion it's a hard read but a good one, and I've always liked hard reads now and again.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 3, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

Yeah I binged that one in an afternoon for the sake of catharsis during a bad depressive episode and I sent it to my brother saying "yo this pretty much encapsulates the poo poo I've gone through" because I just wanted someone close to me to know who wouldn't institutionalize me. He responded a few days later, I can pretty much describe his reaction as :stare:
Most :sadfan: comics tend to be overwrought and melodramatic but you can tell this one comes from a place of, I don't know, survived pain? Like the wound is healed and it's meditating on the scar and not shying away from both the meltdowns and the quiet moments of pain, while most others tend to focus on one or the other. It also doesn't shy away from real life snapping into focus (like when they took the wrong highway) or the little moments of alleviation and fun that can break depression for a small while (like breaking into the house).

In conclusion it's a hard read but a good one, and I've always liked hard reads now and again.

when her parents called was the biggest gut punch I have ever felt via fiction.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 5, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Can someone re-link it?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Can someone re-link it?

drop-out?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hoo boy, I'm only 15 or so pages in and I'm dreading what's to come, but at the same time I don't want to stop reading.

Also while the furry aesthetic isn't my thing like, at all, I will say Lola's character design is pretty loving kickass. We need more sentient hydroids in comics.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ballz posted:

Hoo boy, I'm only 15 or so pages in and I'm dreading what's to come, but at the same time I don't want to stop reading.

Yeah when it got linked I reread the first ten pages and then put it down because I'm not ready to reread it right now.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
New thead title: Please Forgive Me!!!- come for the fart jokes, stay for the depression!

(This is actually a terrible thread title don't really change it)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wow. Highly recommend Drop Out, but take maybe a day or two.

If you feel like an outsider or completely loving different than everyone, read it.

http://drop-out.webcomic.ws/comics/1

I hope it's okay if I put this here, I will change it if it is in bad taste or something.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's great, but yeah, really upsetting. Apparently the creator was dealing with suicidal depression while they were making it, and for much of the comic wasn't sure whether they'd be around to finish it. That radiates out in the work, I feel like.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It makes it very genuine and honest to me and I feel like our broke brains deserve to be heard.

Please, be yourselves and try to be the best you that you can be. Thank y'all for these good stories.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So the website now says:

quote:

PFM RETURNING JULY 15

PLEASE FORGIVE ME is returning July 15! It will resume updating Mondays / Wednesdays / Fridays.

Comic Buffer Count: 11

So that's good news.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've just started reading It Hurts. I was a bit turned off by the obnoxiousness at first, but then it kept going and it looped right back around to entertaining.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Reading this comic is probably like doing krokadil. I can feel my brain getting hosed up.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Reading this comic is probably like doing krokadil. I can feel my brain getting hosed up.

yeah, and i'm dying of an antibiotic resistant infection in my entire circulatory system.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
RIP

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SardonicTyrant posted:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I have finally finished It Hurts!! and it was an experience. Hoping Please Forgive Me!!! is just as good.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

I have finally finished It Hurts!! and it was an experience. Hoping Please Forgive Me!!! is just as good.

It is! And it's back from hiatus tomorrow!! You'll enjoy it!!!

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

It returns!

https://twitter.com/gobolatula/status/1150616861823733761

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

snakes (with hats)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All hail Patience the shoe queen

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The bird is going to get a demerit for attendance :ohdear:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hoooooooolllly poo poo more ERIK THE JUICEMAN - it's a gobulatula miracle!

http://gobolatula.com/etjm/?comic=298-the-dark-castle-saga-chapter-14

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Shoes for the shoe throne!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/gobolatula/status/1151342637238013952

Thinking about thos beans.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I love these loving morons.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I need Pasq's shirt right this goddamn minute and not just because I've been putting off laundry

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I really like how Girlsqualo is a different character from the original and how it mixes up the dynamics between the other characters.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hypebeast Trissshhh and pasq fill me with joy.

Certified fresh.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
https://twitter.com/gobolatula/status/1152067155485048833?s=21

God I really missed Trisssh going full out Trisssh, while Pasq Pasqualo’s all over the place, just Pasqualos the gently caress out

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
One of these days I need to figure out how to make an "Out of context It Hurts!!/Please Forgive Me!!!" bot because these comics have some magnificent panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like to read everything Trisssh says as Toji from Eva.