Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

0toShifty posted:

I bought that same tap and die set years ago and it has saved me so many times. Ratcheting tap handles really are a godsend in some situations.

Yeah, a guy at work has one and I wanted a set about thirty seconds after using it. I just borrow his, but he seemed to get fed up with me after I was using it a couple times a day and I started using a crappy set someone left laying around.

I don't usually do manufacturing work, so other than that short stint doing assembly and needing to chase some threads, I haven't needed them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Kastivich posted:

It wont let me add those ratcheting wrenches to my cart. Is it working for anyone else?

Same, “something went wrong on our end, try again.”

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I ordered mine for a store pickup, they claimed by the 3rd. But my order is still stuck in "unknown status".

Oh well. If I don't get them, no big deal. This would have been a second set of ratchet wrenches and screwdrivers for the go bag anyway.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Big Taint posted:

Same, “something went wrong on our end, try again.”

Also not working for me. Not much of a sale if they intentionally limit sales.

Edit: I called customer service and placed an order over the phone. It went through and it's expected in two days.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 2, 2019

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Frank Dillinger posted:

It needs to maintain 14v on a car battery while control modules are being programmed, which means ignition on, lights on, for up to an hour and a half. During this time, battery voltage may not drop below 13v. I have a 25A charger, and that will get me ~12.5v or so.

There seems to be a large gap between consumer (5-25A) chargers and pro/shop level chargers. Consumer chargers also have a habit of not actually outputting the rates power, or deciding the battery is full and switching off.

Associated Equipment is the company you're looking for. They make portable chargers up to 100A continuous in various definitions of portable.

If you need a shelf-sized bench charger with explicit AGM and continuous-duty 13V @ 40A support, there's the Associated Equipment 9640 for ~$550 street. On the "dumb" end of the scale there's the ~$450 Associated Equipment 6010B with 6/12/24V @ 60/60/30A and a high/low 12V voltage selector.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 2, 2019

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

EnergizerFellow posted:

Associated Equipment is the company you're looking for. They make portable chargers up to 100A continuous in various definitions of portable.

If you need a shelf-sized bench charger with explicit AGM and continuous-duty 13V @ 40A support, there's the Associated Equipment 9640 for ~$550 street. On the "dumb" end of the scale there's the ~$450 Associated Equipment 6010B with 6/12/24V @ 60/60/30A and a high/low 12V voltage selector.

Yeah, that looks pretty good, thanks!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Boo, my order from Lowe's was just cancelled. Lame.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god fingers crossed mine sticks. The lady on the phone didn't question the pricing or anything so I'm hoping I'm good. Try calling if the pricing is still available.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Is there a decent sine wave inverter, around 1000w that is reasonably priced and not garbage?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Is there a decent sine wave inverter, around 1000w that is reasonably priced and not garbage?

Xantrex ProWatt SW1000. Not cheap, but not awful, $275. I've installed several on boats and never had a problem. The remote is a nice touch, and very reasonably priced ($25). There might be other brands, but I've had good luck with Xantrex.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Xantrex and Eaton Cooper Bussmann are your best bets for not-shittiness.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Home Depot has the QuickJack $400 off today if anyone's interested.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuickJack-BL-5000SLX-5-000-lbs-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift-BL-5000SLX-AC-110v/307393222

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Well poo poo. I'm gonna have to really look at that. I mean, I'm looking at spending a couple hundred bucks on jack stands that work better for the M3 after all, might as well go all out?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks like a good deal, but you might want to check your local costco if you have one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fknlo posted:

Well poo poo. I'm gonna have to really look at that. I mean, I'm looking at spending a couple hundred bucks on jack stands that work better for the M3 after all, might as well go all out?

Yes. We want to spend your money.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Looks like a good deal, but you might want to check your local costco if you have one.

It's currently the same price from Costco but apparently drops another $100 at certain points. I might just wait?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes. We want to spend your money.

It's one of the few things I'm relatively good at!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fknlo posted:

Make it rain.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

It's currently the same price from Costco but apparently drops another $100 at certain points. I might just wait?

just wait, the better return policy of costco is excellent

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

fknlo posted:

Yeah it's routinely $999 at Costco, maybe twice a year or so.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Yeah it's routinely $999 at Costco, maybe twice a year or so.

My Costco has them in store at that price now. Last time around it was online only.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Where do you go for hose clamps? I've never used anything but lovely worm gear ones, but I'm plumbing an entire car --radiator, heater, fuel-- and I'd like to make a pro-choice.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Internet is your best bet, but Pep Boys often has serviceable v-band clamps

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

eddiewalker posted:

Where do you go for hose clamps? I've never used anything but lovely worm gear ones, but I'm plumbing an entire car --radiator, heater, fuel-- and I'd like to make a pro-choice.

Look into getting some t-bolt clamps. I got some from these guys many years ago which I felt was a fair deal at the time. There could be better values elsewhere if you shop around though:
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/t-bolt-clamp/

edit: for the smaller fuel lines etc probably just go with OEM style spring hose clamps.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 7, 2019

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

revmoo posted:

Internet is your best bet, but Pep Boys often has serviceable v-band clamps
v-band ain't for hoses

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Interesting, why would that be an issue? They apply pressure all the way around evenly..

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

revmoo posted:

Interesting, why would that be an issue? They apply pressure all the way around evenly..
V-band is designed to clamp two flanged pipe ends together, mostly on turbo/exhaust piping. Also they have gaps in the V which would definitely not apply even pressure, and possibly pinch your hose.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have a t band clamp tool and a bunch of clamps. I bought it to refurbish my CV axle off my old wrx. If you are near DC you are welcome to borrow it.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
T Bolts suck hard. Worm is the best.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Seriously, just get ABA clamps like a normal person. Tbolts are cool for big stuff but normal cooling system poo poo they’re not necessary.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you wanna be fancy, get some constant torque hose clamps.

If you wanna destroy money, get some wiggins clamps.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
These are really good:

https://www.murraycorp.com/clamp/constant-tension/constant-tension-turbo-seal-clamps-tss/

I can get them in small packs relabeled by turbosmart through one of my WDs.

Second choice would be the non-perforated ideal clamps, or at least something with a liner

http://idealtridon.com/aftermarket/non-perforated/

But for stuff like a radiator hose on a plastic endtank it's nice to have the spring loaded constant tension clamps. A diesel truck shop will have constant tension t-bolts and maybe the murray style clamps in the first link.

And wiggins clamps need special ends and usually welding, it's not something you just buy and clamp on (it's like a v-band, but with o-rings and it can move a bit).

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 7, 2019

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I have a conventional oil drain pan that I think holds 12 qts or so. So, it doesn't have the flat top surface to rest a spin on oil filter to drain. Short of buying another drain pan, is there a tool or hack to drain a spin on filter that doesn't involve holding it over the pan for a few minutes while I burn my fingerprints off?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MetaJew posted:

I have a conventional oil drain pan that I think holds 12 qts or so. So, it doesn't have the flat top surface to rest a spin on oil filter to drain. Short of buying another drain pan, is there a tool or hack to drain a spin on filter that doesn't involve holding it over the pan for a few minutes while I burn my fingerprints off?

Screw it to some boards hanging over the pan? Or put a screw through the side of it and tie a string on to hang it? You're throwing away the filter anyway, no worries about damaging it. All you really need is something to hold it open side down over the oil, ideally while not touching it for very long yourself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
put filter into a funnel which will drain into the container you put used oil into

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Expanded metal sheet over the top of the drain pan, then set the filter upside down on it to drain for hours/days/weeks/etc.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BraveUlysses posted:

put filter into a funnel which will drain into the container you put used oil into

I realized that this was probably the right answer. My friend bought a 4 post lift and a QuickJack so I've been doing some maintenance at his place but I gotta BYO my own oil pan and things so while I have some spare jugs and stuff at my place, I forgot to bring them last time.

Geoj posted:

Expanded metal sheet over the top of the drain pan, then set the filter upside down on it to drain for hours/days/weeks/etc.

This isn't and awful idea though. Thanks

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who tried to order tools from Lowe's during last week's sale:

KD tools rejected the order. Apparently they had a spat with Lowe's about pricing to agree on. I specifically told customer support I received no word on the order cancellation and to reach out to other people with similar orders. That request will probably go nowhere so make sure to call in and get your refunds.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Fold some coat hanger into a ring with a point perpendicular to the ring. Set the ring in the oil with the point up, inside the inverted filter. Let drain.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oscilloscopes. Something I last used about a decade ago with equipment from the 80s or 90s. I remember the one I had was a Tektronox 2 MHz analog. I used to use it with a signal generator and a logic tester. Is the market pretty much the same? I saw there are some USB based ones, are those useful? What about the multimeter ones? Are ones under $100 trash? Are there combination scope/signal generator/logic testers out there? I'm super out of touch but want to be able to test ICs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

um excuse me posted:

Oscilloscopes. Something I last used about a decade ago with equipment from the 80s or 90s. I remember the one I had was a Tektronox 2 MHz analog. I used to use it with a signal generator and a logic tester. Is the market pretty much the same? I saw there are some USB based ones, are those useful? What about the multimeter ones? Are ones under $100 trash? Are there combination scope/signal generator/logic testers out there? I'm super out of touch but want to be able to test ICs.
Short answer: Rigol 1054

Longer answer: ask in the Electronics Thread.