Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, it's not that dumb. Ippo is saying that he got too focused on getting in with slips and setting up his Special Moves and he forgot that sometimes you gotta jab so you keep control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

I mean, it's not that dumb. Ippo is saying that he got too focused on getting in with slips and setting up his Special Moves and he forgot that sometimes you gotta jab so you keep control.

Yeah. And as a result he kept taking unnecessary damage. It's something that makes a lot of sense.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if only he had an outside perspective that could analyze his style and point out this particular weakness.... maybe they could have coached him on how to be a better fighter! but alas, Ippo didn't know anyone who could have done that

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I feel like it's especially stupid because ippo watched boxing videos of his opponents' fights all the time when he was still active and they also used the mythical left arm

When watching videos he could have been focusing on other things like "I could take that hit and then immediately counter it with a Dempsy Roll" and slowly put focusing on being a good boxer in the background until it disappeared altogether.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's not a bad flaw but any coach would have seen that. For Fresh Japanese champion Ippo that would've been good but he is like a half decade into his career and has brain damage now

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do you think anyone actually tells morikawa that he wrote the worst coach of all time

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kamogawa being a poo poo coach is unexcusable, but it's a decent boxing flaw for Ippo to overcome and one that makes sense for a power puncher inside fighter that has a lot of respect for a big counter-puncher.

Kamogawa's schtick is obnoxious as gently caress, a lot of "he's gotta figure it out himself" when he actually doesn't, that's what a coach is there for, to tell him what he's gotta work on!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kamogawa at least realized that he utterly failed Ippo which is part of the reason he is not going to train another fighter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Now we just need Takamura to finally lose a match and he can finally die in disgrace

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fabricated posted:

Now we just need Takamura to finally lose a match and he can finally die in disgrace

no thank you

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tbp posted:

no thank you

Well SOMETHING needs to happen to his story. He hasn't gone anywhere since he fought Eagle.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TaurusOxford posted:

Well SOMETHING needs to happen to his story. He hasn't gone anywhere since he fought Eagle.

You wish! He'll probably fight Tugs Runny or the like, and then sexually assault someone.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
<Ippo training in front of a mirror>

-Holy gently caress! I had another arm all this time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

trucutru posted:

<Ippo training in front of a mirror>

-Holy gently caress! I had another arm all this time.

http://i.imgur.com/5zlnlot.gifv

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Fabricated posted:

Kamogawa dies, ala Mick in Rocky III. Ippo is mourning his grave. Rest of the crew are standing around asking if he’s really dead. Ippo says, yes, a doctor and the mortician all confirmed it. They ask, but did he really cross the line into being dead, dead? Ippo shows them the death certificate. They don’t think that’s really crossing the line. Maybe coach should get a second opinion? Ippo reminds them coach’s body has been cremated. That they’ve all literally been given urns with Coach’s ashes in them. Everyone agrees that Coach should give boxing another chance. <insert big hog joke and exasperated Kumi leaving the cemetery in frustration.>

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TaurusOxford posted:

He beat Bison and got another title.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

have kamogawa get mega cancer so he has an excuse to skip all the way to the heavy weight class and fight not mike tyson

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

He beat Bison and got another title.

Another title in the same weight class is hardly an advancement to his arc. Kamogawa has even said that Takamura is a natural heavyweight, and the junior middleweight title got thrown away after one title defence so I don't understand why Takamura's quest to conquer six weight classes is being filled arc'd this much.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ippo Chapter 1264

Kamogawa: Please don't die in the ring Ippo.

Also we meet Takamura's next opponent, Michael Goat. I see great things for that man.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Rip Ippos bald head. It was good while it lasted.

About time to we shift to Taka though.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Oh hey, Morikawa heard me. :v:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1265
To continue the theme, The Goat is a master of the Left™. What will Takamura do?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Takamura will no doubt win, but I am glad it looks like Goat will be a challenge.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There’s a new chapter out and it is some extremely good fighting content. This is a really good fight so far.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Link to said chapter.
good fight indeed.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Further proving the point that Hajime no Ippo is at its best when Ippo isn't in the ring

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Goat is a good opponent. Reminds me of a quicker David Eagle, very orthodox but does the basics super well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I found it. The world's greatest HnI fan. He's been reading the weeklys since the 80s and knows all the moves. Unfortunately the move he tries here is Aoki's Look AwayTM

https://i.imgur.com/d4z9jGe.gifv

e: Wow, I was automatically reading Goat as 'greatest of all time' but just now realized they were still just leaning in to the animal names thing with Takamura :downs:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 27, 2019

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1267

I don't think Goat has much more in his tank so I'm expecting this fight to end soon. Still a bit surprised at how jealous Takamura is.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Haha takamura's angry back face on page 6

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

Chapter 1267

I don't think Goat has much more in his tank so I'm expecting this fight to end soon. Still a bit surprised at how jealous Takamura is.

They've been drilling it into the audience for a while now that Takamura seems desperate to keep the coach's attention instead of Ippo. At least ever since he drew that line in the dirt. It's getting kind of weird, but I also don't really see how they're going to use it narratively unless the somehow take Takamura out while Ippo returns to the ring. Maybe that detached retina plotline that never went anywhere was a decades long con and as soon as he goes up another weight class he'll get creamed and Ippo will have to train him back to health :kiddo:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think the idea is that takamura has lost hope in ippo to do anything cool and doesn't want the coach to stress out over him because then he'll die sooner

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Patware posted:

i think the idea is that takamura has lost hope in ippo to do anything cool and doesn't want the coach to stress out over him because then he'll die sooner

That's how I read it too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that, for all of Coach Kamogawa's faults (and they are many), old man gave our boy Takamura his sense of purpose. Dude's always gonna be biased because of that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kamogawa actually stated that Takamura was always going to be a Champion. It would not have mattered who coached him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair even if his eyeball flies out at some point and he dies in the ring he'll have like 3-4 world champion belts to show for it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kamogawa actually stated that Takamura was always going to be a Champion. It would not have mattered who coached him.
Yeah, I remember the whole "A diamond that didn't need to be polished" speech, but what I keep thinking is that without Kamogawa, Takamura would've ended a directionless fuckabout, sorta like a Sawamura-lite instead of being a world-level challenger.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ring Magazine did a thing

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1268 is out, Takamura promo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

handy link
More Takamura being Takamura and more "is Ippo gonna return to the ring" winks and nods