Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you liked the Netflix show GLOW you really need to check out the comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I picked up 3 omnibuses of The Walking Dead on Comixology for something around $30-$40 total. I still haven't made it more than maybe 70 issues in (less than halfway into mega-book 2). Can't be sure since they removed any issue headers if there were any.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, is Atomic Robo still good? I think the last time I read was Atomic Robo and the Spectre of Tomorrow...or the Temple of the Ood. Whichever came last. I remember it being good, but my comic shop just stopped putting it in my pull list and it caused me to just...forget. Which is weird, but not insane: if you stop getting reminders something exists, it can be easy to forget it ever was. But it just popped into my brain and now I want to see if it is still lit af like I remember.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Hey, is Atomic Robo still good? I think the last time I read was Atomic Robo and the Spectre of Tomorrow...or the Temple of the Ood. Whichever came last. I remember it being good, but my comic shop just stopped putting it in my pull list and it caused me to just...forget. Which is weird, but not insane: if you stop getting reminders something exists, it can be easy to forget it ever was. But it just popped into my brain and now I want to see if it is still lit af like I remember.

You can read it online now: http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/archive

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not sure how many people read Lady Meckanika in this thread, but I have been for a while since a Free Comic Book Day a few years ago. It started out as something my wife picked up, but I liked the story well enough, and the art has always been the selling feature of it. There's usually a lot of detail, if not in the frame, then around the frame as some kind of ornamental design.

However, the latest issue seemed to lack that. Every background looked like a scanned piece of textured paper (not really what it was, just the best I can describe it), every panel was a rectangle, and there were no designs around the borders. The artwork itself also seemed to be lacking. One of the characters introduced I thought was a child given the face of the character until she started referring to the husband as her husband. It seemed to be very sketch-like, and rushed. Not sure what happened with this issue, hopefully it's better in the rest of this story arc.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Assassin Nation is ending next month with issue 5. I had no idea that it was a limited run but it's great, I highly recommend it. Incredibly violent and funny.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hope this is the thread to discuss it, but Animosity has a tonal whiplash problem. It's a comic about animals suddenly "waking up" and developing human intelligence, wants, and needs.

Anything dealing with the immediate moment of "The Wake" and the aftermath is almost tongue-in-cheek. Mice suddenly want iPhones, animals confess their love for their caretakers, etc. As you get further from The Wake there's poo poo like a Human Pride organized group mutilating animals and having an underage breeding cult in secret and other gross stuff. Then there's supplemental comics that are cheerful. Look, here's a world map showing animals are totally respecting human-created domestic and national borders! Cows control Texas now, isn't that cute?

It's very much like The Walking Dead where all the interesting stuff with the premise happens and all the possible questions about the premise are raised in the first few issues and then dropped for the plot loop of "characters find stability, an outside evil group breaks that stability and there's a bloodbath, characters find stability, repeat."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh good!

https://twitter.com/jasonaaron/status/1145048015419392001

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I had hoped it was temporary considering how much he's doing including the spring big event over at Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I stopped reading Walking Dead a long time ago but apparently tomorrow's issue (huge spoiler inbound) is a surprise finale and is the last issue of the book being published.

If that's true that is the most insane thing I've heard of a comic doing in a long time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

I stopped reading Walking Dead a long time ago but apparently tomorrow's issue (huge spoiler inbound) is a surprise finale and is the last issue of the book being published.

If that's true that is the most insane thing I've heard of a comic doing in a long time.

First off what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Second, that actually would be pretty good! Rick accomplished what he wanted before dying. His lessons live on through Carl and even Negan changed his ways (somewhat). If the finale is something like Invincible’s where you basically jump through time showing the world/civilization coming back I’d be happy with it ending now. Or just end it up a hopeful note for Carl who has to decide who he wants to be. And you can always just start pumping out spinoffs if you want to keep that walking dead money coming in

Last, holy fuuuuuuuuck if true

One last thing: last issue, Rick’s death, was issue 192 which marked the end of compendium 4. So sneaking in one last issue to close out the series now would work

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 2, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

First off what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Second, that actually would be pretty good! Rick accomplished what he wanted before dying. His lessons live on through Carl and even Negan changed his ways (somewhat). If the finale is something like Invincible’s where you basically jump through time showing the world/civilization coming back I’d be happy with it ending now. Or just end it up a hopeful note for Carl who has to decide who he wants to be. And you can always just start pumping out spinoffs if you want to keep that walking dead money coming in

Last, holy fuuuuuuuuck if true

There is a page floating around from the end of the book editorial where he explains it, but it spoils the ending and it does seem as if it flashes forward in time. The book is also a surprise 70+ pages long. Look it up if you want it's not difficult to find.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

There is a page floating around from the end of the book editorial where he explains it, but it spoils the ending and it does seem as if it flashes forward in time. The book is also a surprise 70+ pages long. Look it up if you want it's not difficult to find.

Just did and yeah this is definitely the end. And from the sound of it is exactly the ending the series needed. The commonwealth arc was pretty much the culmination of the conflicts the series had dealt with. It was an escalation where Rick literally fought off the old ways of living and left the people wanting something better. He becomes a martyr and now we get to see the fruits of that sacrifice.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So, in relation to walking dead; do aliens finally turn up?

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Cassa posted:

So, in relation to walking dead; do aliens finally turn up?
It turns out we are the aliens

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Haha, I didn't read any spoilers before the issue but my perspective was "if it's something stupid I'll finally stop reading" and welp, it looks like my decision was made for me. Definitely a gutsy way to go out!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Did we ever learn how the zombies started?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in one version for 616 castle hosed up a hit and accidentally released the virus, but didnt it originate with ultimate ff or something?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

lifg posted:

Did we ever learn how the zombies started?

IIRC, in TWD comics (and thus the Telltale games), it's in the tradition of Romero where it's just a thing that happened one day. If anyone knows about the whys and wherefores, they're nowhere near the protagonists.

The show had a brief stopover at the Center for Disease Control headquarters in Atlanta where it turned out, again IIRC, that it was a disease that everyone already had.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

in one version for 616 castle hosed up a hit and accidentally released the virus, but didnt it originate with ultimate ff or something?

Not talking about Marvel Zombies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
doh, cant keep my threads straight

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well yeah that’s one way of ending a series. I can’t say I liked it but the very end of it was nice and hopeful. I’m happy Carl ended with Sophia. Also nice that Lydia is still around and on friendly terms. Michonne as the high court was nice balance to Maggie’s presidency but the issue’s plot of Maggie’s kid being a circus dude keeping the dead as a show was.... odd. I can see what they were going for (the dead are such an afterthought that people find macabre entertainment in it) but to treat them as property and stick the law against Carl loving Grimes over some zombies to the point Michonne had to step in? God drat I get things are lax but they don’t have to go that far. It also betrays the story somewhat that the dead are no longer a threat when everyone is still infected and if someone dies from an accident they’ll come back as a zombie within the community and it could cause trouble. I appreciated the nod to some characters but not seeing Negan react to Rick’s death was a loss to the book.

That said, holy poo poo at thatproposed ending of the series Kirkman had in mind. THAT would have been a brutal and bleak way to finish things off and it would have deprived us of so many fun characters I’m glad he decided to keep going. If you haven’t read it: he planned to end the series at the early point of the Alexandria arc. Once Rick “takes over” it was meant to jump from a page of Rick to a page showing a statue of rick. As the book progresses through a zoom out you see the statue is old and overgrown. You see Alexandria as a bigger town but abandoned and destroyed. And then you see the dead still roaming. So humanity came back in some capacity and things got better but ultimately the dead won. Honestly that’s pretty close to what I thought Kirkman would end up doing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
when will the sjw pandering end. is nothing sacred

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1146574670977802241

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I think I'm 50 issues behind on that series now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Introduce? A female turtle is not something new (Venus, i think?) so is this a new take? I generally pick up TMNT trades during IDW sales so I'm a bit behind.

Andrigaar posted:

I think I'm 50 issues behind on that series now.

:same: actually just checked my comixology and the last volume I have is 17 so I'm like 25 issues behind.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 4, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Introduce? A female turtle is not something new (Venus, i think?) so is this a new take?

Isn't Venus de Milo one of the single most hated things in the franchise, though?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

seems pretty armless to me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wanderer posted:

Isn't Venus de Milo one of the single most hated things in the franchise, though?

Yes she is and the current female turtle is a preexiating character who got some turtle blood

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

I never saw the poo poo she was on, so I don't have an opinion on her as a character, but I think it's kinda bullshit to name her after a piece of art instead of an artist like the original 4 (and especially to name her after a statue of a topless woman with no arms).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm reading Walking Dead in those annual hard covers, ever since a friend got me the first few. The series isn't actually ending I assume, right? I'm afraid of googling it so I don't get this spoiler, let alone the stuff leading up to whatever I haven't read yet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

seems pretty armless to me.

I need you to know that I appreciated this, even if nobody else admits they did.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

IUG posted:

I'm reading Walking Dead in those annual hard covers, ever since a friend got me the first few. The series isn't actually ending I assume, right? I'm afraid of googling it so I don't get this spoiler, let alone the stuff leading up to whatever I haven't read yet.

I mean, do you want the spoiler or not? I'm getting mixed messages here. In any case, it appears to be done.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't click that spoiler of course. I'm just wondering if there's more solicited past that. I just looked at the next TWD hardcover that is coming out, volume 16. It collects 181-192. So I won't read it for over a year. But if they were doing 12 issues each, then the series need to go to 204 for another one of those volumes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's literally no answer to that question that isn't a flat out answer to that question.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
From what I heard yesterday there were extra solicits, but image admitted they were fake?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

From what I heard yesterday there were extra solicits, but image admitted they were fake?

192 spoilers: Kirkman clearly states that this is the case on the letter at the end of the issue explaining why he’s ending the series as he is and how he put everything together to hide the fact this was going to be an ending

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's fine. If it's done, that's all I wanted to know. I just didn't want to get spoiled on how it was over.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Guys who run my local comic shop have had a busy couple of days dealing with angry phone calls from people who couldn’t get TWD but they think the move was actually a great one. In their eyes this means the people who supported the comic every month got the special issue and all the scalpers hoping to buy a copy for eBay or whatever didn’t have time to order a bunch and water down the value.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chrs Gry posted:

Guys who run my local comic shop have had a busy couple of days dealing with angry phone calls from people who couldn’t get TWD but they think the move was actually a great one. In their eyes this means the people who supported the comic every month got the special issue and all the scalpers hoping to buy a copy for eBay or whatever didn’t have time to order a bunch and water down the value.

One of my local stores actually warned people that they would have to add TWD to their pulls if they wanted to get #193 this week. Myself, I trade wait TWD and know it will either be in an enlarged volume 32 or republished ad nauseam so it's not like I'm missing out.

(I also trade wait WicDiv, so I'd kinda appreciate a little patience there because the last trade isn't out until September.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

site posted:

when will the sjw pandering end. is nothing sacred

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1146574670977802241

I am way behind on IDW TMNT but given their track record I fully expect this to work and seem completely natural.