Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
If it does end up finishing ahead of time, just foil it, wrap it in some towels and toss it in a cooler until dinner time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sterster posted:

^ I'm not going to say you're wrong. Call me a fat rear end or what ever but give me that juicy fatty point. Also I've really taken a liking to making burnt ends with the point and some delicious caramelized bbq sauce.

We seem to be in agreement, friend!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

unknown posted:

I find tri tip is best when smoked to an internal temp of like 120f and then finish quickly on the grill to get a nice crust on the medium/medium rare interior. Don't take it all the way to 200 like you would a brisket. Rest and slice against the grain.

Ends up like a steak with a lovely smoke flavour and only takes an hour.

120F internal is a fair ways below “medium/medium rare”, I would say. Do you mean 130F? That would still be on the rare side of medium-rare, but at least closer.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

120F internal is a fair ways below medium/medium rare, I would say. Do you mean 130F? That would still be on the rare side of medium-rare, but at least closer.

He's saying to smoke it to 120f then bring it up to actual med-rare temp on a grill. I've done this before and you end up with nice and smoky tri-tip with a nice char on the outside. You do it on a rippin hot grill so you get the outside charred but only raise the internal temp like 10-15, like 5-7 minutes a side. I'm a heathen though and like my poo poo more on the medium side.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 4, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

toplitzin posted:

It was a MES 30" I got in 2017 for a song after some shopping damage. I think the coil is fried. Could be fixable. Or it sounds like time to get the 40"

Fairly easy fix depending on model. I think it was around 30-35 with shipping. If you look at the back and see a cover plate with screws that is the easy one.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
At this point if I'm planning on having it for dinner and it's above 10lbs or so, I just put out on the night before. It never fails that it stalls for like 3 hours longer than I prep for.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DiggityDoink posted:

He's saying to smoke it to 120f then bring it up to actual med-rare temp on a grill. I've done this before and you end up with nice and smoky tri-tip with a nice char on the outside. You do it on a rippin hot grill so you get the outside charred but only raise the internal temp like 10-15, like 5-7 minutes a side. I'm a heathen though and like my poo poo more on the medium side.

Ah, I think of finishing on the grill as being about crust while raising internal temp as little as possible, but that makes sense. Thanks!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

DiggityDoink is correct - got to factor in the additional cooking when attempting to char the outside on the grill.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, I think of finishing on the grill as being about crust while raising internal temp as little as possible, but that makes sense. Thanks!

You can't get a crust without raising the internal temperature.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Getting ready to smoke 3 racks of baby backs, is there something other that 3-2-1 ribs I should be considering?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've got the gas on the smoker at the lowest possible setting, but it keeps creeping up to like 300F.

I think the chunks of wood are burning/becoming charcoal, despite my soaking them for a full hour before use.

Any ideas on what to do?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Getting ready to smoke 3 racks of baby backs, is there something other that 3-2-1 ribs I should be considering?

Might want to turn em down to like 2-2-1 I find that with 3-2-1 at 225 in my mes30 get a little dry

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
3-2-1 may be too much foil for some baby backs. I usually check after 1 hour in the foil. You don't want mush.

My go -to for ribs is around 275, and drizzling honey and brown sugar on your ribs when foiling with some apple juice in the foil pouch. If I do them this way it's generally 2-1-1 for baby back and longer for side ribs. Not mushy and not overly sweet despite the extra sugars.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My brisket is only just now coming out of the stall, after like 8 and a half hours. It stalled in the mid-140°s though, which seems low.

It’s at 159° now and I’m still hoping to pull it at about 2 or 3 PM CDT.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Annath posted:

I've got the gas on the smoker at the lowest possible setting, but it keeps creeping up to like 300F.

I think the chunks of wood are burning/becoming charcoal, despite my soaking them for a full hour before use.

Any ideas on what to do?

soaking chunks just doesn't do much. the water only permeates a fraction of an inch into the wood, so it's pretty much useless. soaking chips is slightly more effective. Did you wrap your chunks in a foil pouch?

I. M. Gei posted:

My brisket is only just now coming out of the stall, after like 8 and a half hours. It stalled in the mid-140°s though, which seems low.

It’s at 159° now and I’m still hoping to pull it at about 2 or 3 PM CDT.

It's teasing you and raising your hopes. Now that you said you want it at 2-3pm it knows to aim for 5-6pm.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 4, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Canuckistan posted:

soaking chunks just doesn't do much. the water only permeates a fraction of an inch into the wood, so it's pretty much useless. soaking chips is slightly more effective. Did you wrap your chunks in a foil pouch?

Did not wrap them... I've never wrapped wood in the smoker, although I've done that when "smoking" on the grill.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Sorry, saw gas and assumed grill. R>C>P failure.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just realized I probably should have put my brisket on a few hours earlier because it’s 10 lbs. I think it may still be in the stall or entering a second stall. gently caress :doh:

And now the wifi connection on my EGG Genius is loving up so I can’t change the pit temp. gently caress.

And I can’t tell for sure if the updates are right.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Our local grocery store started stocking beef back ribs and it feels like some sort of cheat code. They're ugh so good, like condensed little prime ribs. And yet they don't seem to be a popular cut compared to pork ribs, so this is what ~7$ got us:

Going to be smoking it on the Traeger this afternoon, but for comparison's sake this is what the previous one looked like:

:getin:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You can't get a crust without raising the internal temperature.

Yeah, that’s why I said “as little as possible”. You can definitely get a crust without raising the core temperature detectably. I do when I finish brisket in the oven.

Same thing when I’m searing steaks post-SV: I want the crust but as little internal gradient as possible, and it’s easily possible to get a great crust with less than 5mm of gradient.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Canuckistan posted:

Sorry, saw gas and assumed grill. R>C>P failure.

Its a hybrid, it can do gas or charcoal.

Although now that the wood isn't burning its stabilized around 235F, which while not an ideal 225F is still perfectly fine. Internal temp on the brisket is 145F, so still a long ways to go.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

I just realized I probably should have put my brisket on a few hours earlier because it’s 10 lbs. I think it may still be in the stall or entering a second stall. gently caress :doh:

And now the wifi connection on my EGG Genius is loving up so I can’t change the pit temp. gently caress.

And I can’t tell for sure if the updates are right.

lol. As you and most of us know welcome to the world smoking. "Shouldn't have been a lazy rear end and put it on sooner. I've got plenty of time."

Chuck roast I did a couple days back though boggled my mind. It stalled at 151 while the grill temp was 300. It sat that way for over at least an hour. I wasn't sure if I were cooking beef or some horse meat with jockey marks on it at that point.

Said to hell with it, throwed it in the instapot to finish it off. Turned out great. But holy hell...sometimes you just get a tough cut.

I love when you get to the that stage and you start doubting your thermometers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Oh dear.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ Ouch! Next time get you one of those cloth pergola patio covers and put it over your grill.

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol. As you and most of us know welcome to the world smoking. "Shouldn't have been a lazy rear end and put it on sooner. I've got plenty of time."

I didn’t think I was being lazy. I put it on the night before, for gently caress sake. If anything I was worried it’d be done too early.

My first brisket went off without a hitch, obviously this one should do the same, right? RIGHT? :shepface:

It’s still gonna be great, I’m just miffed is all.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Got two racks of ribs going on the Weber. Gonna make some sweet dinner rolls to go with em.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jan posted:

Our local grocery store started stocking beef back ribs and it feels like some sort of cheat code. They're ugh so good, like condensed little prime ribs. And yet they don't seem to be a popular cut compared to pork ribs, so this is what ~7$ got us:

Going to be smoking it on the Traeger this afternoon, but for comparison's sake this is what the previous one looked like:

I need to check my local stores for beef ribs again. Everything I've found had been pricey and with little meat on the bone.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

If anything I was worried it’d be done too early.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I love that this thread is poping off for the 4th. You all better take some pictures of your meat so we can all circle jerk later.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jan posted:

Hnnnngh. Can you say what store or what area so I know whether to hope at all?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Jan posted:

Goddamn your local grocery store owns. I've seen the cut you're describing many times but they always have barely any scraps left on the bones around here.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Welp, a brief downpour came and went, and soaked my thermometers before I could get them under cover.

The smoker is fine, and ironically the thermometer I use to monitor the cabinet temp is still working, but the one I had stuck in the brisket, while it turns on, just lights up all the segments of the LCD.

So now I don't have a read on the internal temp of the meat.

I tried hooking up the probe that's in the meat to the working thermometer, they're the same brand, just the broken thermometer is newer (I bought it yesterday), but it wouldn't read.

I stuck the broken thermometer in a bowl of rice, so hopefully the screen clears up once it dries out.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

arisu posted:

Goddamn your local grocery store owns. I've seen the cut you're describing many times but they always have barely any scraps left on the bones around here.

Seriously, I've been looking and I can't even find them, much less ones as good as those.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finally had to pull my brisket and pop it in the oven a couple of hours ago, not because I was in a hurry but because the Egg was losing heat and I couldn’t get it back up to 200° for some reason. I think I might need to replace the gaskets soon.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
2hr hickory smoke.
36hr puddle
2hr smoke
Burnt ends and brisket, money shots will come later.

sterster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 5, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Anne Whateley posted:

Hnnnngh. Can you say what store or what area so I know whether to hope at all?

This is actually just our local Whole Foods in San Jose, for which 2$/lb is incredibly cheap.

Decided to let it go for an hour more this time (4 hours instead of 3) and it ended up incredibly tender.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that’s why I said “as little as possible”. You can definitely get a crust without raising the core temperature detectably. I do when I finish brisket in the oven.

Same thing when I’m searing steaks post-SV: I want the crust but as little internal gradient as possible, and it’s easily possible to get a great crust with less than 5mm of gradient.

You probably aren't searing the brisket in the oven and why is it in the oven if the temperature isn't rising? You're definitely raising the temperature of those steaks while you're searing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You probably aren't searing the brisket in the oven and why is it in the oven if the temperature isn't rising? You're definitely raising the temperature of those steaks while you're searing.

I think I am not being clear. I understand and have tried to explicitly state that putting something near a hotter thing will raise the temperature of the first thing. That’s why the crust forms, and that’s what causes the small gradient on the edge of the steak. In both the steak-searing and brisket-finishing cases, the core temperature does not rise within the ability of my temperature probe to detect.

That is different from putting it in a hot oven until the core temperature has raised by 10F. By that point the outer portion of the meat will have raised by meaningfully more than 10F, and fly right past the desired medium-rare. This is why sous vide steaks have more uniform temperature and doneness than those cooked to the same core temperature via a grill. The difference is easy to see with a slice across the meat.

If you want meat that’s 130F, you probably want as much of that as possible. In my experience, and reading, that means cooking it to that temperature in a temperature context as close as possible to the target, and then treating the surface with high temperature and short time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So the brisket I did turned out OK...

I pulled it at 185F, most of the stuff I read said target temp of 190F, so I pulled it at 185F expecting it to coast to 190F.

It didn't, but that was fine because it turned out incredibly dry anyway... Like, it has tons of flavor, but it really is very dry. The edges are less burnt ends and more (very tasty) beef jerky. The middle part is, like I said, flavorful as hell, and no so dry that some BBQ sauce won't address it, but I'm wondering what I should have done to keep it more moist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How aggressively was it trimmed? I’ve found a pretty big difference when there isn’t a fat cap still, though I’m not sure quite the mechanism at work.