Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

I think you might be right. She's in a weird middle area between normal guest star and full-blown cast member, so I don't hear about her in the same space as Patrick Stewart, Wil Wheaton and Johnathan Frakes, but she was too standard to come up as 'hey, remember that Whoopi Goldberg episode'.

The best comparison I can think of is Albert Brooks in The Simpsons. He's not part of the regular cast so he doesn't get mentioned with them, but he also turns up often enough that nobody just remembers his appearances as 'the Albert Brooks episode'.

DS9 had lots of actors like that, although not really any with her level of fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

DS9 had lots of actors like that, although not really any with her level of fame.

Louise Fletcher had an Oscar from playing Nurse Ratched, probably the closest comparison

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Angry Salami posted:

There's been a trend recently in Trek fanart that tries to reimagine the various aliens as a bit more, well, alien. Basically "What if the show had an unlimited budget and could do characters that weren't just humans in costumes."

I think it's kinda cool when done well.

I think it's cool, and among other things, it's one of the only really new places you can go in re-drawing characters other people have drawn thousands and thousands of times.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

There's been a trend recently in Trek fanart that tries to reimagine the various aliens as a bit more, well, alien. Basically "What if the show had an unlimited budget and could do characters that weren't just humans in costumes."

I think it's kinda cool when done well.

It might work there but it definitely doesn't work on the shows. The redesigned Klingons in Discovery are super off-putting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gordon Shumway posted:

It might work there but it definitely doesn't work on the shows. The redesigned Klingons in Discovery are super off-putting.

I mean that's still pretty human-based, the point is that some of the fanarts have made the Klingon, like, giant crabs, and it's pretty cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Budgets are a tricky thing in sci-fi.

Red Dwarf comes to mind as actually having an interesting take on Kryten's design; one episode shows that the more human-looking androids were actually an earlier design that were discontinued because they fell right into the uncanny valley, and that they made the blocky model because it's more obviously an android. While I think Data is implied or outright said to look like a human in makeup because his creator knew that he wasn't going to get everything perfect the first try, so he made the androids look obviously nonhuman so people would cut them some slack.

It's actually a real-life phenomenon too. Reminded how I heard once that in Mystery Science Theatre 3000, if the writers weren't sure how a joke would be received, they'd have one of the robots say it, since audiences give nonhuman characters more leeway.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cleretic posted:

nobody just remembers his appearances as 'the Albert Brooks episode'.

The Albert Brooks episode is the Hank Scorpio episode, obviously.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If I was gonna draw star trek fanart I would go out of my way to make it look like people in makeup and prosthesis, that'd be funny as heck

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"that new show about a policeman who solves crimes in his spare time!"

Well there's a Simpsons quote that's aged well, or was just always on point.

It’s weird how every show in tv is now about remarkable people who work with the police. I had the premise of Lucifer explained to me recently, and I wasn’t even surprised when I heard that the Neil Gaiman nightclub devil from 90s comics gladly helps the pigs in 2019.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

purple death ray posted:

If I was gonna draw star trek fanart I would go out of my way to make it look like people in makeup and prosthesis, that'd be funny as heck

Not just people!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gordon Shumway posted:

It could be because it's a re-re-redesign of the Klingons:

TOS:

TMP up through Enterprise:

Star Trek Into Darkness (I'm posting two to give a closer look):

Disco (I'm posting two to show why the reaction might have been a bit overblown, they cover up the drastic changes with hair later on, lol)

There have been a lot of redesigns over the years, especially for an iconic Star Trek species while others have stayed the same (Vulcans, lol). It was just kind of shocking, especially since none of the Klingons had hair rather than just a few. Disco decided to double down on that with more alien redesigns. I'm not a fan of what they did to the Tellarites because that's another species that just keeps getting redesigned, and they made them look like TMP/TNG Klingons, lol.

Also, the people behind Disco are dumb as hell, and decided that Klingon redundancy means that males have two dicks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
They can explain it away by the fact that Klingons have a history of messing with themselves genetically. Worf gets asked about why the first Klingons the Federation encountered didn't have the ridges. He pretty much says "we don't talk about that" as it's kind of a touchy subject for a lot of reasons.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They can explain it away by the fact that Klingons have a history of messing with themselves genetically. Worf gets asked about why the first Klingons the Federation encountered didn't have the ridges. He pretty much says "we don't talk about that" as it's kind of a touchy subject for a lot of reasons.

Fetish stuff that got out of hand.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They can canonically explain it all they like, but it gets a bit tiring to see them get redesigned over and over and over again.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded how I heard once that in Mystery Science Theatre 3000, if the writers weren't sure how a joke would be received, they'd have one of the robots say it, since audiences give nonhuman characters more leeway.

Watched a '97 MST3K recently and there were a dozen transgender jokes because a female actress apparently looked a bit manly to Mike and the bots???

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
its because every single one of those designs looks terrible

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But it was more of a joke about the budgeting of TOS

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gum posted:

its because every single one of those designs looks terrible

Yeah, we've accepted Klingons as one design since the Motion Picture, and it's been perfectly fine there's no reason for such massive re-re-designs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm waiting for a sci-fi franchise with zero humanoid aliens, personally.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm waiting for a sci-fi franchise with zero humanoid aliens, personally.

Try the Chakat Universe. Might be up your alley.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bogus Adventure posted:

Try the Chakat Universe. Might be up your alley.

I want to see it on the Tee Vee!

Seriously, though, there have been quite a few good stories in say, Analog in the past few years with very non-human aliens (Better from the May/June issue this year was phenomenal in that respect), it's just that the popular franchises and almost all I see on TV has people with weird costumes/prosthetics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Costumes and prosthetics is cheaper than puppetry and cgi. Speaking of puppets, try Farscape.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Try The Expanse. TV SF done pretty much like cinematic, with good characterization, fx and story. A lot of the work is right up there with what you'll see in the movies, with pretty well done physics. Rotational gravity, ship decks perpendicular to line of thrust, the closest thing to handwavium is the super efficient fusion drive, but even that follows the in universe rules.

Not to spoil things, but there is a technologically advanced alien presence as you get into it. That definitely is not a guy in prosthetics.

If you've read the books there are some differences - some characters blended, a few small story lines cut, events and characters moved in when they show up.

MrUnderbridge has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jul 5, 2019

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Its only saving grace.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Then DS9 came along and made the Ferengi cool.

sweet geek swag posted:

Armin Shimerman was in the The Last Outpost. He was there from the very lovely beginning of the Ferengi.

Pretty sure Armin is on record as going for the role of Quark explicitly to try and unfuck the horrible stereotype he helped bring to life. Thankfully the DS9 writing team helped a lot with that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I want to see it on the Tee Vee!

Seriously, though, there have been quite a few good stories in say, Analog in the past few years with very non-human aliens (Better from the May/June issue this year was phenomenal in that respect), it's just that the popular franchises and almost all I see on TV has people with weird costumes/prosthetics.

Seriously, though...please DON'T try the Chakat Universe. I wish I had never heard about it, but online idiots like to overshare their fetishes. A skunktaur fetish, in this case. :suicide:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s weird how every show in tv is now about remarkable people who work with the police. I had the premise of Lucifer explained to me recently, and I wasn’t even surprised when I heard that the Neil Gaiman nightclub devil from 90s comics gladly helps the pigs in 2019.

In 2019 the Neil Gaiman nightclub devil has returned to Hell and assumed the throne for a time. The TV series has gently caress all to do with the comic apart from two or three names.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Why wouldn't the devil help the cops?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

purple death ray posted:

I actually really like how an active fandom can keep a show "fresh" and I think it says a lot about a property when people are still discussing it and drawing inferences decades later. Sometimes what they do is just realize something fun the show could have done. A notion that has really stuck in ds9 lately, for example, is that since Keiko and Garak both ostensibly like plants, they should have been friends.

-awesomelyanon

I think that would have been amusing and there were interesting things they could have done with that for both characters :shrug:. But I don't think they were ever in the same room in the show.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why does Garak have a tail in that?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Detective No. 27 posted:

because he's gay

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

the exact thing i've been talking about!!

Fanart experiences style shift with time as a reflection of artists becoming increasingly inspired by one another as opposed to the source material, introducing a drift in the interpretation of the property. That's what I have been posting about this entire time!!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pick posted:

the exact thing i've been talking about!!

Fanart experiences style shift with time as a reflection of artists becoming increasingly inspired by one another as opposed to the source material, introducing a drift in the interpretation of the property. That's what I have been posting about this entire time!!

I am reminded of a seeing anthropomorphic fan art of the notebook and clock from Don't Hug Me I'm Scared that got Tumblr and/of DeviantArt got all horned up for a moment, and people making fan art of that fan art.
Including Lion King versions of the creepy goth anthropomorphic versions of the the talking clock and notebook.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr Christmas posted:

I am reminded of a seeing anthropomorphic fan art of the notebook and clock from Don't Hug Me I'm Scared that got Tumblr and/of DeviantArt got all horned up for a moment, and people making fan art of that fan art.
Including Lion King versions of the creepy goth anthropomorphic versions of the the talking clock and notebook.

that's Art

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

Watched a '97 MST3K recently and there were a dozen transgender jokes because a female actress apparently looked a bit manly to Mike and the bots???

Yeah there's one or two episodes that go into that unfortunately.

For what it's worth, Mike and the crew have actually rewritten old episodes of their new project Rifftrax to remove jokes that haven't aged well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An actual Star Trek thing relevant to the thread - Troi's love interest in "The Price" is a total creep in the way that the 80s and 90s found romantic. He's so handsy and pushy.

He reminds me of this sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W34wyKZlWQ He also looks distractingly similar to Steve Carrel

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

An actual Star Trek thing relevant to the thread - Troi's love interest in "The Price" is a total creep in the way that the 80s and 90s found romantic. He's so handsy and pushy.

He reminds me of this sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W34wyKZlWQ He also looks distractingly similar to Steve Carrel

HE'S LLOYD BRAUN!!!

GEORGE IS GETTIN' UPSET!!!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Dr Christmas posted:

You mention that and don't even link it???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Consultant for the cops/CIA' is basically a standard TV show job now. Spider-man's leaned a bit too much into that for a character who's meant to be hated by most of the media.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

I actually really like how an active fandom can keep a show "fresh" and I think it says a lot about a property when people are still discussing it and drawing inferences decades later.

A fandom can keep itself fresh by iterating and re-referencing itself but that means literally nothing to a show unless it's still running and the authors try to engage with its fanbase in turn, with usually awful results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

PancakeTransmission posted:

You mention that and don't even link it???

I had to make a Pinterest to find this, I hope you jackals appreciate it:

(Also found My Little Pony versions)

Which is based on these:

No idea if this the "original." There are hundreds of these exact things. I'm somehow irritated that no one drew the clock hands as a mustache.

Which is based on these:

Fun thing I learned today: The name of this ship is called "Padlock."