Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

The air force doesn't do "the field". It's just not a thing. The worst deployment I've seen, and this is being as close to the way the army operates as it gets (outside of tacp) is living in tents in Iraq for four months. Aside from that, deployment locations are either a) joint and everyone basically lives the same way or b) basically like living in a holiday Inn in the desert.

The middle of nowhere Nevada desert is a navy base, FYI

Well, CLEARLY no one of importance from the Navy actually goes there if the only people who talk to about it are AF officers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

The Valley Stared posted:

Well, CLEARLY no one of importance from the Navy actually goes there if the only people who talk to about it are AF officers!

CLEARLY

For the unaware it's where Top Gun is now

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
After three years there I wholeheartedly agree.

Well, except one guy, he's a new-ish O-4 and probably a future CNO like his dad.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Vahakyla posted:

You can get most of the stuff you are looking for from NG.

After talking a bit more with my buddy it seems like the CA NG would be the way to go. "Being a Warrant Officer in the California National Guard is basically as close to not being in the Army as you can get while still technically being in the Army" he said. Sounds alright to me.

I have an appointment to with a recruiter tomorrow to get some more information. Is there anything in particular I should ask about or certain information I should get from him? Like I said, I'm most interested in search and rescue / disaster response type stuff.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Uh there's few WO jobs that will take you without being prior enlisted in that field. Aviation obviously, maybe some signal or logistics stuff?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

DoktorLoken posted:

Uh there's few WO jobs that will take you without being prior enlisted in that field. Aviation obviously, maybe some signal or logistics stuff?

Admin too

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Dumb question*, but what exactly does it take to get into aviation? I know it's difficult to be selected, but why? What does the selection process entail?

* Any question regarding joining the military is automatically a dumb question.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

DoktorLoken posted:

Even then, you still need to be in the military with NCO/Officer experience. Maybe if you are a civilian pilot looking to fly you can might get a waiver but this dude isn't. Officer to warrant is a thing that's possible but it rarely ever happens.

Don't even waste your time talking to a recruiter about it. Don't enlist, especially the army, double especially with a degree.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You can in some circumstances go in from off the street to being a WO, it's just unlikely.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I spoke with a recruiter near me on Tuesday and got a bunch of information. Really interesting how the Guard works (there's no specific search and rescue MOS, but you could, say, be a UH-60 pilot who gets trained / called up to go on search and rescue missions around the US).

They seemed pretty impressed with me as a candidate. My SAT/ACT scores correspond to high-70s ASVAB scores, took a practice ASVAB and scored in the top 1%, they recommended I skip the ASVAB and just take the PICAT at home, I came prepared, was asking all the right questions, had a decent GPA, etc.

When asked if I had ever been on any prescription medications, I mentioned that I had tried Adderall for a semester in college, and that seemed to be a disqualifier. Apparently any mention of ADD/ADHD is basically an automatic rejection? But there was also a lot of "Since you mentioned it to me, I would have to disclose that about you as a candidate. But there's nothing stopping you from going to another recruiter (;)), and they're going to ask you if you know about any such conditions to the best of your ability (;);)), and I recommend you tell them the truth but hey man it's not my place to tell you what to do or say (;););))."

Is it really that big of a deal? It seems like my options would be to either disclose that and probably get rejected, or go to another recruiter and accidentally forget to mention it to them.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Bumping this to see if anyone has any information or advice on the matter.

I'll be calling my recruiter later today to discuss ASVAB / PICAT testing. I want to push through as much of the process as possible, disqualification or not. But I'd rather not get disqualified, ya know?

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

literally this big posted:

Is it really that big of a deal? It seems like my options would be to either disclose that and probably get rejected, or go to another recruiter and accidentally forget to mention it to them.

You answered your own question, do you have another one?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bumping this to see if anyone has any information or advice on the matter.

I'll be calling my recruiter later today to discuss ASVAB / PICAT testing. I want to push through as much of the process as possible, disqualification or not. But I'd rather not get disqualified, ya know?

Do you have medical records proving you are an adderal junky and not just spinning crazy tales from some booze filled dream?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

DaNerd posted:

You answered your own question, do you have another one?
Are those really my only options? By all measures I'm an ideal candidate, with a pretty stellar track record to back it up (advanced classes all throughout schooling, letter of recommendation from elected officials, etc.), so it doesn't really make sense to automatically disqualify me over something so trivial. But the recruiter also said that DODI trumps all of that stuff.

LingcodKilla posted:

Do you have medical records proving you are an adderal junky and not just spinning crazy tales from some booze filled dream?
It was a legitimate prescription from a doctor in my primary care network, so I'm assuming there's a record. However, I didn't really need the meds, never got a refill, and ended up tossing the pills, so...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Are those really my only options? By all measures I'm an ideal candidate, with a pretty stellar track record to back it up (advanced classes all throughout schooling, letter of recommendation from elected officials, etc.), so it doesn't really make sense to automatically disqualify me over something so trivial. But the recruiter also said that DODI trumps all of that stuff.

It was a legitimate prescription from a doctor in my primary care network, so I'm assuming there's a record. However, I didn't really need the meds, never got a refill, and ended up tossing the pills, so...

Gonna need a waiver for that dopefiend. Good luck. If war breaks out they may allow you to enlist undesignated in the navy but with your dangerous history of unstable mental illness and drug use it’s unlikely.

It’s utter bullshit but someone got a real hard on for people who actually tried to address their issues with AD

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Consider this an excellent introduction for how utterly loving stupid the military is about the weirdest things.

It's all downhill from here if you get in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Up front disclaimer that I was (fortunately) never a recruiter.

They lie all the time so good on you for being apprehensive on this one. That said from the people I've seen make it in, on this one the recruiter is being straight with you by telling you to lie by ommision with someone else. If a bear fills out paper work in the woods and nobody sees it or asks about it or...something.

Granted I joined during the surge so things probably have changed since then but someone on adderal as a kid could have a waiver pencil whipped in place astonishingly fast at that point. That you're even asking makes me think my information is probably out of date.

Either way consider what Godholio is saying. This convoluted approach to pants-on-head stupid bullshit is what they're doing to you before you sign on the dotted line. It does not, in absolutely any way, improve once they literally own your rear end and can dictate every last aspect of your life. Yes, even that one. The one thing scratching at the back of your mind, making you think "Man that would really suck. It'll be ok though, they wouldn't."

They would and they will and every one of us here will laugh at you because you were warned.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It also continues happening to your family if you die while you're in, or to you via the VA if you survive.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Anecdotally I was told I couldn't enlist initially because I had taken exstasy once. Walked in to the same recruiter office the next day and spoke to a different recruiter and didn't bring it up, shipped to basic within a month. This was in 2011.

When I went to OCS I tried to report my recent diagnosis (from a civ doc) of allergy induced asthma (cats) before I shipped and was politely told to not mention it again.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
I too had some *things* on my medical record I was.told to not mention by my recruiter back in 2010. And my dad was army so they could've pulled my military dependent medical record.

Nowadays I'm hearing that if you were a DoD dependent they (i.e. The Air Force medical services for recruiting) WILL cross reference any medical records they have on file so if you're in that boat, dont lie.

Otherwise do not put any burden of proof on yourself if you know its inconsequential...the military will only look into something medical related if they have an existing record or you give them reason too.

And in the case of the DaNerd even him telling them he had asthma wasnt enough to dissuade them from "meeting the needs of the Army!"

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2019

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
The military is very serious and proactive about normalizing, de stigmatizing, and treating mental health issues. Unless you actually try to address mental health. Then gently caress you, crazy boy.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

ActusRhesus posted:

The military is very serious and proactive about normalizing, de stigmatizing, and treating mental health issues. Unless you actually try to address mental health. Then gently caress you, crazy boy.

DoD at least pretends, the CG will gently caress you sideways and show you the door if they can from the get go. Don't know a single person that's worked lots of SAR with no issues. It's a known issue that everyone pretends to go along with.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014
What’s everyone’s experience with the DLAB?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

All I know about linguists is there's something that makes them all loving weirdos, and I say this as an MOS that had (and probably still has) like a 75% chance of anybody else in the MOS being able to hold a full conversation about World of Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons. Heard them say the test is pretty hard though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

If you're good at taking standardized tests, you'll probably do well. If you aren't, it's a lot of luck. I scored 99th percentile on SATs and the ASVAB, and the DLAB was the one test where I came out having no real concept of how well I did, but I ended up scoring high. Do you have any specific questions?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Some of the OPIs are also real loving fishy. I took one with Finnish, and scored 2 initially, which is not the highest on it. Indicating it was ”moderately proficient”.

I am 29, moving out of Finland at age 21. It is my mother tongue. In addition I speak it in a fairly grammatically correct way that doesn’t use as much slang words, and I abbreviate less so to a native mine sounds native, but not common. But that makes it nigh impeccable book Finnish.

The lady holding OPI did speak finnish, but something was off. She was not a native speaker, possibly learning it from parents while living in America. ”Uutispaperi” is ”newspaper”, when you directly translate two words, but isn’t an actual word anyone uses, and does not belong to finnish language. It was one of the words she used that led me to believe she is not a native speaker, but having learned from parents and combining words to substitute for lack of vocabulary. She rated my Finnish as ”moderately proficient”.

Anyway, I complained, took another, got the maxed score. Still, somewhere there is a contractor raking in big bux as a ”finnish speaker”.

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

Hey guys, I have a somewhat specific question: I'm a recent college grad looking at the psyops officer position as a reservist. Is this available right off the bat or will I have to spend several years in another role before I'm eligible?

More generally, I'm looking to sign up as a way to get my foot in the door for a career in the intelligence community. Is this a really bad idea? I've reached out to a recruiter, but like other posters in this thread I feel like I should take what they tell me with a grain of salt.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How do you feel about contributing to imperialism in exchange for a little money so other people could make a lot of money?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EBB posted:

How do you feel about contributing to imperialism in exchange for a little money so other people could make a lot of money?

Isn’t that the dudes that kinda-not-really-maybe “torture” people?

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

I really hope not, my impression was that it was more along the lines of leaflet drops and other miscellaneous PR stuff. I do sales/marketing operations and strategy currently so it seemed like an interesting fit.

And EBB you make a fair point. My current job feels somewhat similar; We make HR-related software and the number of clients who come in asking us to do lovely poo poo and build lovely features that would blatantly make the lives of their employees significantly worse is extremely frustrating. Me and a few of the product people were able to push back on most of it, and I guess my hope is that I could have a similar level of minor influence in something more important by going into intel and being a good middle manager instead of a bad middle manager that makes atrocious decisions. But that could be wishful thinking.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm beyond yelling at people not to join anymore. I'm just saying some of us have conflicting feelings about having worn a uniform and contributing.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm trash and still want to join up, though not til at least 2020 and hopefully we won't have Trump anymore at that point. Still the ol' imperialism, but at least hopefully without an utter loving madman at the helm.

I'm currently 33, so I'm near the aging out range. I'm going back to school for pre-med, but that's going to take until sometime in 2021. Then med school, then residency. So I will almost assuredly be 40+ by the time I'm done with medical training. I'm considering joining reserves or NG now, just because I don't know that I want to wait until I'm 40+ to join as a doctor (and that's assuming I succeed). I have a BA in Sociology (lol) and I'm a licensed paramedic. I am also insane and would prefer a more active/involved job than your typical officer role.

I know most people are going to say don't sign up, or to wait, but if I wanted to join in the near future, what would be my best option(s)?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not a value-add posted:

Hey guys, I have a somewhat specific question: I'm a recent college grad looking at the psyops officer position as a reservist. Is this available right off the bat or will I have to spend several years in another role before I'm eligible?

More generally, I'm looking to sign up as a way to get my foot in the door for a career in the intelligence community. Is this a really bad idea? I've reached out to a recruiter, but like other posters in this thread I feel like I should take what they tell me with a grain of salt.

lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm trash and still want to join up, though not til at least 2020 and hopefully we won't have Trump anymore at that point. Still the ol' imperialism, but at least hopefully without an utter loving madman at the helm.

I'm currently 33, so I'm near the aging out range. I'm going back to school for pre-med, but that's going to take until sometime in 2021. Then med school, then residency. So I will almost assuredly be 40+ by the time I'm done with medical training. I'm considering joining reserves or NG now, just because I don't know that I want to wait until I'm 40+ to join as a doctor (and that's assuming I succeed). I have a BA in Sociology (lol) and I'm a licensed paramedic. I am also insane and would prefer a more active/involved job than your typical officer role.

I know most people are going to say don't sign up, or to wait, but if I wanted to join in the near future, what would be my best option(s)?

18X

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

Your plan is eating-crayons dumb. Even if you just told me you were going to start attending med school now and skip the military I'd still say the plan is dumb. Thinking you can do reserve duty and med school at the same time is just :laffo: I'd watch reality television about it

I'm being an rear end in a top hat but you really ticked off the bad idea bingo for "Not much going on in my life, guess I'll join the military" types.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I figured that might be the response I'd get. Good to have confirmation I was being as dumb as I thought I was.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Pants on Head dumb

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can you even join in your 30s? I was considered old as gently caress joining in my mid-20s, like that was literally my basic nickname, and I was pretty sure I was bumping up against the cutoff age.

Even if you somehow can you'd still be one stupid motherfucker to do it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bird food bathtub posted:

Can you even join in your 30s? I was considered old as gently caress joining in my mid-20s, like that was literally my basic nickname, and I was pretty sure I was bumping up against the cutoff age.

Even if you somehow can you'd still be one stupid motherfucker to do it.

Not even close. Hell, the crab man was 37(?) when he joined the Navy Reserve.

My question to everyone interested in joining is "What do you want to do afterwards?" If the military is the best way to get there, so be it...but that's rarely the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

Not even close. Hell, the crab man was 37(?) when he joined the Navy Reserve.

My question to everyone interested in joining is "What do you want to do afterwards?" If the military is the best way to get there, so be it...but that's rarely the case.

I want to have the body of a 45 year old former professional pitcher at the age of 25, so I'm enlisting infantry!